• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Batman Arkham Origins screens reveal Barbara Gordon

karasu

I like how women aren't supposed to be average looking in games.

Barbara Gordon is a superhero. She shouldn't look average anymore than Batman should. Superheroes are all about glorification of the human form and shit.

There's the distinct possibility that the Barbara Gordon in this universe might not become Batgirl, and instead be bumped up into the Oracle role, given the more truncated timeline in this series. Rocksteady has taken certain liberties with characters in the past.

synce

It's not even about looking below average, she looks nothing like Batgirl aside from hair color

Slixshot

Banned
It's not even about looking below average, she looks nothing like Batgirl aside from hair color

looking at the image and then watching the video, it's apparent that that's just a shitty screenshot. If you watch the video and skip to the end, you get a better look at her body-type. Seems more fitting imo.

HardRojo

I can't shake the feeling that I'm just watching Arkham City 2.0... The thing is I don't know whether that's good or bad :/

Drayco21

I don't see a problem with this design, wonder if Barbara will be doing any Batgirl-ing, or if we just jump to Oracle and
see Cass or Steph as Batgirl in a later game. Babs was only ever interesting as Oracle anyway, wouldn't mind if they just cut past that part of her history for these games.

Blackage

She looks a bit too young for The Killing Joke, and if I were to guess this is heavy year one theme stuff going on, so you might see the beginnings of Batgirl.

But those screens or gorgeous. This is PC confirmed right? :>

Lazyslob

Banned
The "average" woman in these games?

catwoman_playable_arkham_city1306973750.jpg

posion_ivy_iphone_wallpaper_batman_arkham_city.jpg

lol

Yeah, the average woman looks like a supermodel that trains 50 hours a week in their own personal gym

Yeah, the "average woman" also is a professional thief and can grow and talk to plants. Uh huh.

Some Nobody

1. I knew one too many "she looks weird" comments would bring out "that" crowd.
2. It's entirely possible this is just a bad screenshot, but:
3. She looks weird. Not weird as in "unattractive", weird as in "off-model". Like she was poorly rendered. You wanna make her an unconventionally attractive (this word is fucking stupid btw) character? Cool. But don't make me wonder if you just don't know how to draw female characters. Which brings me to:
4. If you had more female characters in this game, I'd know whether this was done on purpose or not. Just sayin'.

Pau

Barbara Gordon is a superhero. She shouldn't look average anymore than Batman should. Superheroes are all about glorification of the human form and shit.
Fighting crime has nothing to do with looking gorgeous so this doesn't make sense. The Hulk isn't exactly a looker now is he.

And I thought Barbara in Beware the Batman looked a little weird.
Barbara_Gordon_(Beware_the_Batman).JPG

(Oh well hopefully if that show somehow makes it to season 2 or 3 Cass is a lock)

Some Nobody

Fighting crime has nothing to do with looking gorgeous so this doesn't make sense. The Hulk isn't exactly a looker now is he.

Hulk don't fight crime, either. He's a superhero only because fans have a tendency to place characters in one of two categories, but...yeah.

But Captain America. Thor. Iron Man. Ant-Man. Hawkeye. Iron Fist. Hell, even Luke Cage. The only way those guys are spending Friday night alone is by choice, or because they're off saving the world.

Granted, this idea of male superheroes vs. female superheroes in this context is ridiculous. Female characters are (unfortunately) sexualized much more and this isn't something that's up for debate.

None of that, however, makes that image look less weird.

UrbanRats

The character design in these Arkham games is quite revolting, and i'm not even talking about the sexualization issue (which is more ingrained in the franchise).
Everyone from Batman to Gordon, to the common thugs is huge and, in the case of Batman, it also makes him look less agile than he should.
The games are a lot of fun to play, but the design is just awful.

Pau

Hulk don't fight crime, either. He's a superhero only because fans have a tendency to place characters in one of two categories, but...yeah.

But Captain America. Thor. Iron Man. Ant-Man. Hawkeye. Iron Fist. Hell, even Luke Cage. The only way those guys are spending Friday night alone is by choice, or because they're off saving the world.
Hulk's been part of the Avengers. I think he counts as a superhero. And if you need more examples of ugly crime-fighters: The Thing or Deadpool or Rorschach or Swamp Thing or Hellboy.

Anyways, my point is, it's ridiculous to say that a character needs to be good looking in order to be a superhero.

Pau

Those guys are monsterish by design. They're not flabby odd looking humans.
Deadpool and Rorschach are pretty odd looking. Certainly not a glorification of the human form.

The Arkham games have always had pretty weird looking human characters, but Babs doesn't look flabby or somehow incapable of being a superhero.

Raziel

"How come she isn't in a string bat bikini with huge jugs???"

Seriously all the commenters who are criticizing her "looks" are just immature. You don't have to fantasize about every fictional female character...

Lots of people think the male characters and even the sexed up female characters in this series look bad. You don't have to turn people calling out bad art into a crusade.

Some Nobody

Hulk's been part of the Avengers. I think he counts as a superhero. And if you need more examples of ugly crime-fighters: The Thing or Deadpool or Rorschach or Swamp Thing or Hellboy.

Anyways, my point is, it's ridiculous to say that a character needs to be good looking in order to be a superhero.

The point of the Thing is that he's a walking brick with a heart of gold, Hulk's apart of the Avengers but he's bad at it and this is obvious, Rorshach and Hellboy are intentional deconstructions, Swamp Thing isn't really a hero and neither is Deadpool.

And yes, it IS ridiculous. But they DO, far more often than not, tend to BE good looking. Most of them are gorgeous in fact, with the primary problem being that while male superheroes tend to look like Olympian athletes, female superheroes instead look like supermodels when they should also just look like Olympian athletes.

Pau

The point of the Thing is that he's a walking brick with a heart of gold, Hulk's apart of the Avengers but he's bad at it and this is obvious, Rorshach and Hellboy are intentional deconstructions, Swamp Thing isn't really a hero and neither is Deadpool.

And yes, it IS ridiculous. But they DO, far more often than not, tend to BE good looking. Most of them are gorgeous in fact, with the primary problem being that while male superheroes tend to look like Olympian athletes, female superheroes instead look like supermodels when they should also just look like Olympian athletes.
I know they tend to be good looking more than not. My point was that it isn't some sort of requirement so it's a bit silly to act like it is. Especially in regards to the sexualization of female characters. "I can't masturbate to her? She's average and shouldn't be a superhero."

Forkball

Pretty interesting considering how the other females look in this franchise. I say it's a bold move and if they are just going to make her Oracle instead of Batgirl she doesn't need to look super physically fit.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
She looks like someone posturing after nailing a successful breakdancing move and trying to say "top this" from her body language.

I wish this game had some Bat-breakdancing. :(

Top Bottom