• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what do you DO in No Man's Sky?

dl77

The question is not what you have to do in this game, the question is how you will get fun with the game.

That makes no sense whatsoever!

You like FPS games? you can do that.
You like aerial combat games? You can do that.
You like exploring games? You can do that.
You like trading games? You can do that.
You like resource management games? You can do that.

It's like saying yes CoD is an FPS but how will you get fun out of it?

Abounder

Banned
This thread is a demonstration of why we have things like overblown HUD's and handholdy game design in the vast majority of games these days.

I get the feeling that if people were thrown into a game like morrowwind these days they wouldn't have a decking clue and would dismiss the game as being shit when they get killed by a enemy 10 levels above them.

Actually that's a problem with NMS - it's a playground with very little world building. People want to see NPCs and a world that's alive (who and where are those other pilots, etc). There's not much detail seen so far but the project is ambitious, and seamless travel between planets could be fun.

ilium

Quest for boobies of course, baby.

spacedandy01.jpg

Lucent

That makes no sense whatsoever!

You like FPS games? you can do that.
You like aerial combat games? You can do that.
You like exploring games? You can do that.
You like trading games? You can do that.
You like resource management games? You can do that.

It's like saying yes CoD is an FPS but how will you get fun out of it?

I feel like this is over-generalizing it. It's not like if a game automatically fits a genre you'll know exactly how it plays or if it'll be automatically guaranteed to be fun.

I love RPGs but I don't find every RPG fun or that they play the same way.

Quest for boobies of course, baby.

spacedandy01.jpg

I'm sold now. lol

This game got alot of attention from the enthusiast gaming community, and now everybody wants it to be a game tailored exactly to everybody's liking.

It cannot be.

It's a game with the very specific priority of exploration over everything else, it wil try to do a a thing that has been tried very few times with very poor results (except for the original Elite). I respect the devs for their uncompromising vision, I hope they don't try (or are forced) to make it into something else.

That video right there should be their trailer. Explanations and actual footage of different types of situations you could find yourself in in the game.

You'd still have people asking what do you do, what's the goal, how will it keep my attention and not become boring.

This thread is a demonstration of why we have things like overblown HUD's and handholdy game design in the vast majority of games these days.

I get the feeling that if people were thrown into a game like morrowwind these days they wouldn't have a decking clue and would dismiss the game as being shit when they get killed by a enemy 10 levels above them.

Well, you only need to look at FO3 and New Vegas to see how true that is. NV is as close as we'll ever get to that Morrowind style gameplay and it's essentially the unwanted child compared to FO3, which is far more accessible and guided in how it plays.

GHG

Gold Member
I can see the OT for this being "Ya just don't get it, man" by the way people talk in this thread to people who aren't satisfied with what we've been shown.

Have you ever stopped to think that if you don't get it yet you just might not be the target audience for this game?

I can see the OT for this being "Ya just don't get it, man" by the way people talk in this thread to people who aren't satisfied with what we've been shown.

They've shown virtually everything, if someone still isn't satisfied, it's pretty clear the game probably isn't for them.

The developer showing lengthy and unedited gameplay videos likely won't change that feeling.

Lucent

Have you ever stopped to think that if you don't get it yet you just might not be the target audience for this game?

Nope. I never consider that until I've played a game. Unless it's a sports or racing game. lol.

There could be something I'd like about this game that they just aren't showing for whatever reason. I love exploring things. I just don't know how fun that alone is going to be.

They've shown virtually everything, if someone still isn't satisfied, it's pretty clear the game probably isn't for them.

The developer showing lengthy and unedited gameplay videos likely won't change that feeling.

Wouldn't hurt to try. =P

Anyway, I'm out. I'll just keep watch for new videos that might show an example of how a short session of playing might be like. If that spoils the entire game for people, well that's pretty bad.

dl77

I feel like this is over-generalizing it. It's not like if a game automatically fits a genre you'll know exactly how it plays or if it'll be automatically guaranteed to be fun.

My point is that people are asking what are the tools of the game that 'may' provide fun, and they've been explained countless times. It may yet be rubbish but having not played the new CoD it's like me asking "How do you get fun in the game?" When I'm aware what you do in it. Obviously whether those mechanics are fun is going to be subjective but those are the bits that are or aren't going to be fun for people.

dancmc

I think this game while very ambitious and super cool stylistically may end up being not for me. I don't need linear, but I would like some narrative/story compelling me forward. I may give it a shot but not sure

Crayon

Well, you only need to look at FO3 and New Vegas to see how true that is. NV is as close as we'll ever get to that Morrowind style gameplay and it's essentially the unwanted child compared to FO3, which is far more accessible and guided in how it plays.

This is why i liked nv better.

Haunted

People not seeing it are people that didn't look closely enough.

It's all there if you bother to look. In the interviews, in the previews, in the trailers - even summed up for the lazy in GAF posts that have been posted again and again, even in this very thread.

If someone still wants to rail on No Man's Sky they can, but at this point it cannot have anything to do with the purported "lack of information" about it.

I'm aware of:

the space combat
the FPS
Thre resource gathering
the naming of species
exploration etc.

I just am struggling to see what brings this together as a purposeful package. I'm not a gamer who likes the 'do what you want' aspect of some games. I like there to be a narrative running through it that I can leave for a while and have fun doing lots of side missions or quests.

This game probably isn't for me. I won't have the time to probably do it justice.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dammit, this shit annoys me. If you don't follow a game, you can't then come and act like they haven't said anything about its gameplay. "You just explore, there's nothing else to do" is a lazy bullshit answer and plain false, as there's tons of info about the game out there for anyone who cares to find it. I knew everything in those summaries, because I'm actually interested in the game.

It has all these different gameplay elements but with no variation, just ordinary. It could end up being like Brutal Legend with the identity disorder. More is not always better.

Amir0x

Banned
I have no problem explaining it to people, as long as they don't also imply that Hello Games didn't already explain it perfectly clearly a billion times before :p

I don't understand why GAFers would rather ask me or someone else than read any of the billion articles that are straight from Sean Murray's mouth, but if I can educate people on how rad this game is, I don't have an issue.

Ask away GAF <:D

MouldyK

I have no problem explaining it to people, as long as they don't also imply that Hello Games didn't already explain it perfectly clearly a billion times before :p

I don't understand why GAFers would rather ask me or someone else than read any of the billion articles that are straight from Sean Murray's mouth, but if I can educate people on how rad this game is, I don't have an issue.

Question 1: Have they shown off worlds with cities yet? Are there different races in this Galaxy that we can interact with who are not other players?

Because all these planets and not a single world which is like earth seems a bit farfetched. Like, where did we get the technological knowhow to build a spaceship?

Macnair

It's like One Piece in space. Going from planet to planet looking for clues and finding the way to the center of the galaxy.

So you're fully buying into the Peter Molyneux style of development, I get it.

I think for a lot of us, we're just more cynical about developers that talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. None of what they've been TALKING about has actually been shown properly in videos (Again, all of you defenders out there: It was NOT shown AGAIN during yesterdays panels - Which very much makes me believe that all they have is indeed still just a tech demo, not a real game).

How exactly will the crafting work? How will the trading work? How will the farming of resources work? You don't know, cause you've just been TOLD that these features will be in there, yet you've never seen them.

Remember Molyneux telling you that you'll be able to plant a tree and see it grow? Same thing. You're buying it. Most people here on GAF don't.

Being a developer, again, my bullshit detector goes crazy when it comes to what's happening here. I just don't understand why they're making all these promises that they'll most likely not be able to fulfill (And I think after working in this industry for like 10+ years gives me some credibility).

Again, procedural generation has been around for a while (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhyyUiYQolA#t=240) and it's not something extremely challenging to do, technically (although, granted, their results do look nice, even though there's lots of popping), but the issue always boils down to: Can you actually interact with all this stuff? How do you actually craft an 'infinite universe' while making sure that there's gameplay there?

I bet my balls that most of you - who are very, very, very excited about what they're seeing here - would NOT be happy about a Space Proteus. You're expecting Space Minecraft and Space Minecraft it is not. And it never will be.

Cmagus

As things go forward they will reveal more. The interviews go very in depth but the majority of people aren't going to "get" it until they actually show how gathering, trading, upgrading and combat work.

It really doesn't surprise me that people are confused with this game because if you're not someone who has read interviews and followed the game and are only going by the trailers this game hasn't made a lot clear.

I'm day one on this game but I would also like to see how all these "gameplay" elements work.

Amir0x

Banned
So you're fully buying into the Peter Molyneux style of development, I get it.

Nothing about what they explained is even remotely Peter Molyneux. It's all mostly simple concepts attached to their ONE BIG IDEA, which is awesome. Do you think creating a huge universe with a decent procedural algorithm is some pie-in-the-sky ideal? It's not. Later on you seem to understand that, and since that's the only particularly big claim they've made... Peter Molyneux they are not.

Sorry, don't attach worthless value to my desire to play the game nor my ability to stay informed as to what it is doing.

I think for a lot of us, we're just more cynical about developers that talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. None of what they've been TALKING about has actually been shown properly in videos.

I can assure you, nobody is as cynical as me. Anybody who has been on neoGAF more than six years knows my critical history. If No Man's Sky was doing something I thought was worth being skeptical about, I'd be with you.

But it's not. Other than their big idea - which they've already clearly executed - everything else is relatively simple and there's no reason I should doubt it, as it's stuff that has been done in indies, in AAAs, in games every size large and small.

How exactly will the crafting work? How will the trading work? How will the farming of resources work? You don't know, cause you've just been TOLD that these features will be in there, yet you've never seen them.

Um, you go up to another ship and you trade with them with some specific button. Or you go to some space station and trade there with a specific button. No, I do not know what the button you have to press is. If your entire skepticism stems from being unable to know what button you currently press, then yes you're right. I don't know!

Remember Molyneux telling you that you'll be able to plant a tree and see it grow? Same thing. You're buying it. Most people here on GAF don't.

Nonsense, bullshit, nonsense. Moving on.

Being a developer, again, my bullshit detector goes crazy when it comes to what's happening here. I just don't understand why they're making all these promises that they'll most likely not be able to fulfill (And I think after working in this industry for like 10+ years gives me some credibility).

Being a developer clearly hasn't made you any more astute at detecting bullshit than anyone else, sorry. Nor is repeatedly tossing around some industry experience card as if I give a shit. If you can't explain why I should be skeptical, it's worth nothing to me. None of the features described in NMS is particularly remarkable. People were making procedural galaxies with billions of stars and planets in the 90s, it just wasn't visually as complex.

Every other gameplay mechanic is basic stuff seen in a zillion games which leaves me no reason to doubt Hello Games can accomplish it.

Again, procedural generation has been around for a while (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhyyUiYQolA#t=240) and it's not something extremely challenging to do, technically (although, granted, their results do look nice, even though there's lots of popping), but the issue always boils down to: Can you actually interact with all this stuff? How do you actually craft an 'infinite universe' while making sure that there's gameplay there?

I bet my balls that most of you - who are very, very, very excited about what they're seeing here - would NOT be happy about a Space Proteus. You're expecting Space Minecraft and Space Minecraft it is not. And it never will be.

You have some fucking balls don't you? You have no fucking clue what I am expecting. Because what I'm expecting is precisely what I wrote in a bulletpoint you can read on the first page.

I don't even know where the Minecraft comparisons came from, because in my response post in the other thread I specifically said it's not Minecraft. You are a funny guy.

Ansatz

How do you measure progress in the game, is it visualized somehow like a 3D map or perhaps they tell you the distance from the center?

Do you gradually get closer to the center as you explore, or are you roaming back and forth until you have the necessary upgrades to advance?

What stops me from going straight to the center? lack of fuel?

I need to know the ins and outs. For example in Vanquish, I know that if I rush ahead, the enemies swarm me so this is punished in the form of death. If I move too slow I get a bad time score. This information tells me that I need to balance these factors in a way that I get the best possible time without dying. Then the game keeps piling on more mechanics and risk/reward elements that makes for a deep and tuned experience.

I'm left clueless after watching a video of this title. I just don't compute, what am I doing??

iNvid02

you work for a global space corporation and your job is to travel through space discovering planets, solar systems and galaxies - and then draining them of all their resources and eliminating all life found.

zN2Xiko.jpg

I think Hello Games could have done a better job explaining the game.

Maybe a video showing all aspects one by one with a developer talking over it. No cuts, just going around doing whatever it is you are meant to do.

GHG

Gold Member
How do you measure progress in the game, is it visualized somehow like a 3D map or perhaps they tell you the distance from the center?

Do you gradually get closer to the center as you explore, or are you roaming back and forth until you have the necessary upgrades to advance?

I need to know the ins and outs. For example in Vanquish, I know that if I rush ahead, the enemies swarm me so this is punished in the form of death. If I move too slow I get a bad time score. This information tells me that I need to balance these factors in a way that I get the best possible time without dying. Then the game keeps piling on more mechanics and risk/reward elements that makes for a deep and tuned experience.

I'm left clueless after watching a video of this title. I just don't compute, what am I doing??

Go play a game like Don't Starve. Then maybe you will begin to understand.

-PXG-

The fact that it's taken THIS long to find out what the hell you actually do in this game says a lot. No disrespect, but it's a huge failure on the dev's part for not clearly articulating something so simple as what the point of the game is and what players do in it. Over and over, all we've seen are trailers of you just walking or flying around aimlessly, without purpose or reason. Why have they waited until now to explain the overall point? Why are devs so inept and so incapable when it comes to explaining their own games?

This is precisely why I never understood the hype and excitement. Now that we do know a little more on what do, sure, it sounds interesting. I just think folks should keep their hype in check or else they will be thoroughly disappointed.

Amir0x

Banned
The fact that it's taken THIS long to find out what the hell you actually do in this game says a lot. No disrespect, but it's a huge failure on the dev's part for not clearly articulating something so simple as what the point of the game is and what players do in it. Over and over, all we've seen are trailers of you just walking or flying around aimlessly, without purpose or reason. Why have they waited until now to explain the overall point? Why are devs so inept and so incapable when it comes to explaining their own games?

This is precisely why I never understood the hype and excitement. Now that we do know a little more on what do, sure, it sounds interesting. I just think folks should keep their hype in check or else they will be thoroughly disappointed.

It hasn't taken this long. We've known most of this stuff for months and months now. They only announced this game like a year ago :/

Flappy

Banned

This picture is basically all the Youtube comments in visual form. Fucking perfect lol.

I'm sick of people complaining that this game doesn't have what they want in a game. This game seems to bring out gamer entitlement more than anything I have seen in a while.

It's an exploration game. It's not Borderlands.

-PXG-

It hasn't taken this long. We've known most of this stuff for months and months now. They only announced this game like a year ago :/

If the devs have been as clear about explaining the game's premise as you so claim, then why do people continue as to ask such basic questions about it, this far after it being announced? You don't see that happen with other games. To me, that illustrates they have done an exceptionally poor job at truly showing their game and telling us what it's really about.

The content and tone of the reveal trailer put me off, I just ignored the game from that point and seeing people being excited over arbitrary level design is just depressing.

But I did enter this thread as I was curious if there truly was something there. I'm not supposed to read up on the game to see if it has any basic compponents a video game should, it should be apparent in the footage. Not buying this game no matter how the end product is because I don't like to support this direction gaming is taking.

Oh get off your high horse. What right do you have to ensure every video game in the world should have a set of components that it should stick to? Really?! Snobbery at its finest. There is room for all types of video games in this world and the more diverse the better.

There are so many trailers for other games that do not show what you actually do in the game. Loads. If I showed a trailer of Bloodborne or even gameplay to someone who knows nothing about it they could ask the same questions people are asking here. "what do you actually do?" "what's the point of the game, just killing horrific monsters?".

I for one quite enjoy relaxing walking simulators and even if NMS didn't have trading, shooting, crafting etc and just your ship and a goal of getting to the centre of the universe I would be happy with that alone. As the premise of exploration and finding crazy weird creatures and just sitting back and relaxing sounds good to me. If that isn't your cup of tea then fine. But christ it's been said a thousand fold what this game does. And the fact they haven't shown a lot more yet is down to its like a freaking year away and this game is made by 10 people.

dalin80

Banned

As stated in several videos and in numerous threads and from Hello games many times-

You can explore however the fuck you want, you don't even need to get to the centre if you don't want to but the ship and equipment you start with is pretty basic and as you get closer to the centre the enemies you encounter become harder. gathering resources, exploring and combat earn you resources to upgrade. We have seen a galaxy map in the trailer which is used to warp around to travel between solar systems.

Comparing an open world free roaming exploration game to a linear scripted TPS is probably what is causing you some confusion.

Amir0x

Banned
If the devs have been as clear about explaining the game's premise as you so claim, then why do people continue as to ask such basic questions about it, this far after it being announced? You don't see that happen with other games. To me, that illustrates they have done an exceptionally poor job at truly showing their game and telling us what it's really about.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to make excuses for people's inability to do basic research.

Why are so many people asking basic questions? Because they haven't read the articles or magazine features about the title. Because they haven't watch any interviews with Sean Murray about the game. Because they refuse to put in a modicum of time and effort to get up on the latest on a game they're so apparently confused by.

And that's fine, if they like. They can go to GAF about it and there's no issue getting your information that way.

But it is ridiculous to come onto GAF and pretend it hasn't been explained at length by the developers a billion times. If you don't want to read that stuff it's cool, if you think every intricate gameplay feature must be showcased in trailers (and my god, again, this game was only announced like a year ago, we already know more than we do about most games only announced a year in development) then yes you're going to be in the dark about how everything fits together.

But if you watch the trailer, you can see they highlight many of the gameplay features (as someone so perfectly illustrated with the trailer screencaps). And then you read an article or two, and it glues them together for you.

Briarios

I'm sick of the fucking intentional, willful ignorance that's becoming commonplace on GAF these days. Choosing to remain ignorant disgusts me. Educate yourself.

This thread has had info dumps of what you do in the game, videos showing space combat, videos showing the locating of resources. And, yet, posts continue -- I don't know what you do in this game, you just walk, etc, etc.

Damn, the dude even said on stage the purpose of the last trailer was to show you exactly the different ways you get to planets - portals, ships, original spawn, etc -- that was it's PURPOSE. It's just frustrating that GAF is full of what amounts to trolls now. The OP, I get ... After the question was answered and media shown, that's just ridiculous.

ilium

i really don't understand what's so difficult to grasp about this game.

you start on a planet with limited resources/fuel and a ship.
you earn money by trading/fighting/exploring to upgrade your ship so you can travel further.
you travel from system to system deeper into the galaxy until you reach the center.
the further you travel into the center of the galaxy the species you meet become more hostile and stronger.
or you don't care about the center of the universe and just travel around at your hearts desire, exporing countless unique planets, systems and species.

it's sounds like a space-roguelike on a massive scale to me.

-PXG-

I'm sorry but I'm not going to make excuses for people's inability to do basic research.

Why are so many people asking basic questions? Because they haven't read the articles or magazine features about the title. Because they haven't watch any interviews with Sean Murray about the game. Because they refuse to put in a modicum of time and effort to get up on the latest on a game they're so apparently confused by.

And that's fine, if they like. They can go to GAF about it and there's no issue getting your information that way.

But it is ridiculous to come onto GAF and pretend it hasn't been explained at length by the developers a billion times. If you don't want to read that stuff it's cool, if you think every intricate gameplay feature must be showcased in trailers (and my god, again, this game was only announced like a year ago, we already know more than we do about most games only announced a year in development) then yes you're going to be in the dark about how everything fits together.

But if you watch the trailer, you can see they highlight many of the gameplay features (as someone so perfectly illustrated with the trailer screencaps). And then you read an article or two, and it glues them together for you.

Personally, I get it, finally...

Most potential consumers aren't going to dedicate that level of time or effort you mention. Most consumers aren't like you, me or anyone on GAF. They should be able to watch a trailer or two, and maybe read a brief summary to get a good feel about what the game is. They shouldn't have to go out of their way or do extensive research to find out something as simple as the basic, general premise of the game. They shouldn't have to put forth deep thought in order to extrapolate such simple info from a trailer.

Again, that just clearly says the devs aren't good at doing something so seemingly easy as outlining the very point of their game. Every other game does it. We don't see this discussion or this debate with other games now, do we?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I totally get what you do. I'm just unclear on whether it's something I'll like. I like the setting and like exploring in games. But I also get bored with lack of story and clear objectives so most exploring I enjoy is in stuff like Skyrim or Dragon Age Inquisiton where you're exploring while doing sidequests and have the main story stuff to break up any monotony.

I'll just wait for reviews/impressions and/or a demo I guess. Seems like it could just be a huge time sink of a game that probably isn't worth it to me as I try to only play a couple long games a year due to limited time. And try to make those games with characters and stories I can get invested in.

Briarios

Most potential consumers aren't going to dedicate that level of time or effort you mention. Most consumers aren't like you, me or anyone on GAF. They should be able to watch a trailer or two, and maybe read a brief summary to get a good feel about what the game is. They shouldn't have to go out of their way or do extensive research to find out something as simple as the basic, general premise of the game.

Again, that just clearly says the devs aren't good at doing something seemingly easy as outlining the very point of their game. Every other game does it. We don't see this discussion or this debate with other games now, do we?

It's not the developer's failure, it's yours. They have a damn web site that explains the game, but it's like you're refusing to become aware of any information that's out there simply so you can continue to run with a narrative that have been shown to be false by large numbers of people.

I'll help you in three steps.

1) Go to the No Man's Sky web site.

2) Click about.

3) Read.

I'll even shorten it for you: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

If you can't figure out what the frelling game is about, what you do, after they explicitly tell you that you explore, gather resources, dogfight, engage in first person combat, improve your gear, and get new ships -- then you are completely hopeless.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

There's a difference between people not being "satisfied" by what's shown, and those who just flat out ignore the facts.

If what's being shown is not enough for you to embrace the game and imagine how you'll have fun, then fair enough. State as much (if you must) and move on.

But can you see how frustrating it may become to those who want to simply share anticipation and discuss the game, when they are bombarded by the same stupid questions and drive-by posts? Personally, I can't believe there's a whole thread centred on the "doubt" and "questions" this enigma of a game has created...

After seeing 3 trailers, 30 minutes of behind the scenes footage, and a handful of interviews/articles about the game, how anyone can stroll into any of these threads and say "yeah but, when are they gonna show the gameplay?" with a straight face is beyond me.

Maybe it's all just an elaborate joke which a lot of us are failing to see... Either way, if the OT is going to be something like "Ya just don't get it", then so be it. I'll take a boring, pretentious takeoff/landing/wildlife sim with a community full of condescending sci-fi nerds over whatever it is these other people are looking for any day.

Edit:
Also, wow at all the "defence force" talk. Seriously people, is that meant to be some sort of insult towards those who are taken with the concept of this game?
You know what? This is a gaming forum, full of passionate people with a wide variety of tastes and gaming interests. Is it so hard to imagine that some of those people might be smitten with what's been shown of NMS so far, and that an even smaller number of those people would be invested enough to try and explain the concept and what will hopefully make it interesting?

Ohh it's GAF. There's a defence force for everything lol.
Good grief.

Amir0x

Banned
Personally, I get it, finally...

Most potential consumers aren't going to dedicate that level of time or effort you mention. Most consumers aren't like you, me or anyone on GAF. They should be able to watch a trailer or two, and maybe read a brief summary to get a good feel about what the game is. They shouldn't have to go out of their way or do extensive research to find out something as simple as the basic, general premise of the game. They shouldn't have to put forth deep thought in order to extrapolate such simple info from a trailer.

Again, that just clearly says the devs aren't good at doing something seemingly easy as outlining the very point of their game. Every other game does it. We don't see this discussion or this debate with other games now, do we?

I'm sorry we're on GAF. So your screed about "most consumers" is just non-applicable, because it's your attempt to move the goal posts from "this community of hardcore gamers" to "the everyday Joe on the street."

Additionally, if we're getting to the point where it's too much effort to ask people to read an article or two about a game they claim to be interested in, then again I'm not sure how seriously you expect the rest of us to take that. It's lazy, it's absurd and on top of that you guys want to have the ability to criticize the developers for not being clear. So, you demonstrate you are not informed on the subject, and then you want to speak with authority on how clear or not these developers have been.

Anyway, what you describe is precisely true.

-PXG- said:
Most consumers aren't like you, me or anyone on GAF. They should be able to watch a trailer or two, and maybe read a brief summary to get a good feel about what the game is.

Watch the trailer, read this:

Amir0x said:
&#9679; You start on a random planet. Planet may be tough, may be easy. It's procedural.
&#9679; 90% of the planets are barren of life, emulating our actual universe. 10% will have life/civilization/story elements/etc.
&#9679; But every planet, no matter how barren of life, has resources for you to gather. You need these resources to continue your journey deeper into toward the center of the galaxy. Fuel, ship parts, cargo to sell, etc.
&#9679; The more resources you gather, the more you screw with the ecosystem, the more you gain the attention of a mysterious 'robot' protector that is meant to keep the balance in the universe and prevent destruction of ecosystems.
&#9679; The longer you harvest a planet, the tougher the robot guards they send at you - there are bipedal ones and ones that walk on four legs, but there's a multitude of different types.
&#9679; The goal of the game is to get to the center of the galaxy. Something mysterious is going on there, and you're trying to find out what it is. The closer you get to the center, the tougher the game gets - more enemy fleets, more enemies in space, more enemies on planets. Tougher evolved life.
&#9679; Each solar system has space stations you can go to. The bigger the solar system, the bigger the space station. Bigger the space station, the better equipment you can get there. You can follow any ship you see in space back to their space station of origin and buy the ship, for example.
&#9679; But you also can buy a host of other items that speed up resource gathering, ability to deal with enemies, ship upgrades, etc.
&#9679; There are portals - like you saw in the trailer - that once entered, will put you into a completely different part of the universe. What will be on the other hand is a complete mystery, but some will lead to great secrets.
&#9679; The narrative is there, but the game is made so that you never have to actually follow it if you don't like. It CAN be a 'walking simulator', it CAN be a game where you gather resources or make a planet your home base. But the goal is, and it takes 40-100 hours approximately to do it, is to find out what's going on in the center of the universe.
&#9679; There is a messaging service that you can use to talk to other players, but it's very possible you can pass another player and never even realize it's a real person. How social you want to get is up to you.

You can also read any of the zillion articles that have this information for your "summary" needs. Voila, you now know what the game is about to the exact specifications of your demands - watch a trailer, read a summary.

I eagerly await what else Sean Murray and Hello Games need to be doing to appease those who refuse to do even the most basic of research.

dalin80

Banned
Again, that just clearly says the devs aren't good at doing something so seemingly easy as outlining the very point of their game. Every other game does it. We don't see this discussion or this debate with other games now, do we?

Most other games are generic shooty bang bang, generic drivey race vroom or generic fighty fist in face games that have been seen regurgitated a billion times over. The vast majority don't even need trailers, we already know what assassins creed 65 will play like so they dont need to debate or discuss.

The style and gameplay of NMS was seen in the very first trailer and it has been very obvious since very early on as to what the game is about, if people are too dependant on hand holding, scared of non linear games or are too ignorant to do a moments thinking then frankly I'm glad they wont be flying around in the same galaxy as the rest of us.

Cyriades

I'm sick of the fucking intentional, willful ignorance that's becoming commonplace on GAF these days. Choosing to remain ignorant disgusts me. Educate yourself.

This thread has had info dumps of what you do in the game, videos showing space combat, videos showing the locating of resources. And, yet, posts continue -- I don't know what you do in this game, you just walk, etc, etc.

Damn, the dude even said on stage the purpose of the last trailer was to show you exactly the different ways you get to planets - portals, ships, original spawn, etc -- that was it's PURPOSE. It's just frustrating that GAF is full of what amounts to trolls now. The OP, I get ... After the question was answered and media shown, that's just ridiculous.

Bravo

-PXG-

It's not the developer's failure, it's yours. They have a damn web site that explains the game, but it's like you're refusing to become aware of any information that's out there simply so you can continue to run with a narrative that have been shown to be false by large numbers of people.

I'll help you in three steps.

1) Go to the No Man's Sky web site.

2) Click about.

3) Read.

I'll even shorten it for you: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

If you can't figure out what the frelling game is about, what you do, after they explicitly tell you that you explore, gather resources, dogfight, engage in first person combat, improve your gear, and get new ships -- then you are completely hopeless.

But why is there so much ambiguity in the first place? Ask yourself, why are we having this discussion at all? Like I already said, we don't have this discussion for every other game that is announced or shown. That would be a nightmare. But this particular game does for some reason. And there is a reason. It's not for nothing.

And to eliminate any confusion, I understand the point of the game. I am not questioning it. I think it sounds pretty neat. I'm speaking for those who don't.

Top Bottom