• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
someone hit me with a good cover for Mega Man X3

mrk8885

Banned
Question:
What are the main differences between the early version robin posted yesterday vs the “official” hakchi release now?

I loaded the games i want and have the artwork in a place I’m happy with. My smaller thumbnails go beyond the screen but that doesn’t really bother me. My games are all working and everything seems fine.

Any particular reasons I should upgrade to the newer version? Or just stick with what I got?

Atilac

I'm using RC4 and have added all the games I want, is there a way to update to this release or do I even need to? Folders work and everything seems good.

sotojuan

Chrono Trigger booting up on a hacked SNES Mini done through Parallels Desktop on macOS Sierra. Worked perfectly.

Rock 'n' Roll Racing, however, shows a blank screen in the main menu but not in the racing menu.

keep

How many extra games can we add roughly ? 20 ?

Robin just said you can install up to 226MB worth of games. That's a solid +100 games.

What I want to know is how many MB we should leave free for savestates and how do we know we are not running out of space creating new saves :)

Robin64

Robin just said you can install up to 226MB worth of games. That's a solid +100 games.

What I want to know is how many MB we should leave free for savestates and how do we know we are not running out of space creating new saves :)

This is a tricky balance, and you're not really going to know til you hit it. Just err on the side of restraint and you should be okay.

Once you start running out of space, the SNES Mini will let you know by C8 erroring itself.

How come Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma don't work?

No clue. Neither of them get beyond the Enix logo, unless you apply the NTSC patch to a PAL Terranigma ROM, which allows that one to get to the game 50% of the time but with no audio or garbled audio.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
[QUOTE="D";251273594]someone hit me with a good cover for Mega Man X3[/QUOTE]These were the best I could find:

20122_front.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Strangely, I was able to find better versions for the EU or JPN versions for Saturn.

keep

This is a tricky balance, and you're not really going to know til you hit it. Just err on the side of restraint and you should be okay.

Once you start running out of space, the SNES Mini will let you know by C8 erroring itself

Thank you. Will C8 brick the console or is there a way to fix it? eg: connect the console to the PC and remove some of the games?

Apologies on behalf of all newbies.

sotojuan

Isnt this the same for all snes mini out there?what happens if you lose it?

That file is basically a restore point to a stock, unhacked SNES Mini. If you break yours for some reason, you can always go back to this. If you lose it and you break it, you are screwed.

Robin64

Thank you. Will C8 brick the console or is there a way to fix it? eg: connect the console to the PC and remove some of the games?

Apologies on behalf of all newbies.

Yes, you can just remove some of the game and it will go back to being fine.

Oswen

How many games can we add before the thumbnails go "off screen"?

Is it easy to resize them?

Weegee

Hey I just wanted to know some basic info on hackchi. I'm not tech savy so sorry if my questions are unclear or stupid.

Can I restore my snes classic if i am unhappy with the changes?

Is hackchi replacing the emulator that Nintendo designed? Does it affect how the original 21 games run after being modded? Just not sure how it works

Seik

Banned
Is this version doing the box covers at the right size or do we still have to modify each manually?

mrk8885

Banned
Isnt this the same for all snes mini out there?what happens if you lose it?

The main reason to have it is in case something messes up during the process. For most problems, I’d tou end up somehow bricking the system this initial backup can be re flashed and bring it back to life.

Robin64

How many games can we add before the thumbnails go "off screen"?

Is it easy to resize them?

You have 1280 pixels of space, and the default size of thumbs is 40 x 28 if I remember correctly, so that'll be 32 before you run out. You can shrink them to 30 x 21 and get this up to 42.

The files are simply in the /hakchi/snes_games/clv-x-xxxx/ folders, the ones called _small.png. You can edit these to be whatever you want and then hakchi will sync your edits.

Heck, you can make them whatever image you want. I went with 32 x 32 sprites.

31wsbfug.mwz3ust6.png

Robin64

How is everyone zipping their rom files?

Just use the "Compress" tick box in hakchi. It'll do it for you.

Is this version doing the box covers at the right size or do we still have to modify each manually?

I did Uniracers using the Google function in this and it came out at 228 x 162. Still wrong. Plus, honestly, its downscaling algorithm isn't very pretty.

OmegaDL50

Hey I just wanted to know some basic info on hackchi. I'm not tech savy so sorry if my questions are unclear or stupid.

Can I restore my snes classic if i am unhappy with the changes?

Yes, by using the recovery back up you make during the install process.

Is hackchi replacing the emulator that Nintendo designed? Does it affect how the original 21 games run after being modded? Just not sure how it works

No it's not replacing the emulator Nintendo made. It just allows you to add more games to the system. You have the option to disable the initial 21 games included if you want (for example in the case of replacing US FF3 with a fan translation of FF6 for example), but again totally OPTIONAL.

-shadow-

Tetris Attack is all I need. Anyone knows if there's a 60Hz version of the PAL version of the game? Yeah I know it's the same game, but those buttons!

Chucker

Sooooo Disable Epilepsy Protection is grayed out for me. What is the command line to add to kill it like on the NESC?

Christine

Thanks for making the thread and the faq, Robin64. Would you mind sharing the Secret of Mana frame you were showing off earlier?

Robin64

Sooooo Disable Epilepsy Protection is grayed out for me. What is the command line to add to kill it like on the NESC?

It's meant to be "-f 0" but it doesn't work. That's what the code within the system says to use, but it doesn't do anything. I guess this is why it's greyed out for now.

OmegaDL50

You have 1280 pixels of space, and the default size of thumbs is 40 x 28 if I remember correctly, so that'll be 32 before you run out. You can shrink them to 30 x 21 and get this up to 42.

The files are simply in the /hakchi/snes_games/clv-x-xxxx/ folders, the ones called _small.png. You can edit these to be whatever you want and then hakchi will sync your edits.

Heck, you can make them whatever image you want. I went with 32 x 32 sprites.

31wsbfug.mwz3ust6.png

If I went with 25x25 sprites, as opposed to 32x32 do you think I could go up to exactly 50 games before the cut off?

I want to setup my SNES for my personal top 50 SNES games.

With that said we have 1280 pixels to work with, so I figure 1280 / 50 = 25.6

So maybe 25x25 would work?

Weegee

Yes, by using the recovery back up you make during the install process.

No it's not replacing the emulator Nintendo made. It just allows you to add more games to the system. You have the option to disable the initial 21 games included if you want (for example in the case of replacing US FF3 with a fan translation of FF6 for example), but again totally OPTIONAL.

Thank you!

Seik

Banned
I did Uniracers using the Google function in this and it came out at 228 x 162. Still wrong. Plus, honestly, its downscaling algorithm isn't very pretty.

Welp, I guess it'll be fixed soon, but I think that size is more accurate than the first version I got from the earlier RC2 version I tried yesterday. Thanks for the quick answer!

Will try this version later tonight! :D

Santar

Looks like there might be a problem with the hack doubling the power drain of the console and causing it to heat up.
Reported by several users over at gbatemp.
Might be smart to hold off for now.

ST2K

Hmm, can't seem to get it to save settings (button hotkeys, game display settings) to the Classic. It says everything saves fine on the PC, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything when I hook it up. Ideas?

Top Bottom