• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs still coming to WiiU but at a later date

Poor WiiU. =(

I wonder why this is. The WiiU isn't all that hard to develop for, is it? I mean compared to 360/PS3.

I doubt it has anything to do with development. It likely has to do with the fact that the Wii U is selling like complete and utter garbage so UbiSoft is having second thoughts about even bothering to release it on the system at all.

daxgame

wow lol. I don't care getting it before or later, but if they want to be absolutely sure to have abysmal sales for the U version that's a good way to be certain, I guess.

Kriken

So they don't think it'll sell at all so by the time it comes out, people who wanted it will probably already have it for X360/PS3/XB1/PS4/PC... got it

Guevara

It was in the conf. call
They didnt say how late so who knows at this point need more info, maybe similar to TitanFall Xbox 360 and Xbox one where it is coming a week later but thats just a guess

I'm sorry OP but this is an extremely optimistic assumption. I'd guess dead, or much later (in that order).

jeffers

Let me recap the timeline for you :
HYPE -- LAUNCH DATE ----- SELLS MILLIONS on PS4/PS3/XBOX 1/ 360 ------SUMMER----------HYPE DIES -- LAUNCH ON WII U ------ SELLS HUNDRED-- NeoGAF (laughs)

you forgot about blaming nintendo/wiiu customers for poor sales!

B.O.O.M

At least it's not cancelled

Its-something.jpg

Nyoro SF

Uh... I'm no expert, but if you release this game on Wii U even two weeks after it releases on the other platforms, then you might as well not bother.

NotLiquid

Yep, it falls in line with Iwata's thinking too: Family friendly first party games will drive the success of mature third party games on Wii U.

Chances are they want to wait until after MK8 creates a potential buzz for the console, however limited it may be. Which in and of itself is stupid since Watch Dogs probably won't be relevant by that time.

I doubt Ubi would have really lost anything by announcing a cancellation now since no one really cares.

-Horizon-

So Ubisoft delays Wii U Rayman so that they can get in the other consoles at the same time.

Now they delay Wii U Watch_Dogs so that the other consoles can get it first.

Uh huh.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
'It's going to be 1 or 2 months late' quickly becomes 'it's cancelled'.

espher

I'm going to bet that it'll come out 3-6 months late, be missing a couple of features/DLC, sell for $60. Then it'll flop and they'll go "See, the WiiU isn't viable", and pull out altogether.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I still wonder how much the distribution of the game would cost them. The game must be virtually implemented by know for the Wii U. The development costs are already there. How much on top of that can distribution be that it could make sense for them to not release an already made game?

jmizzal

I'm sorry OP but this is an extremely optimistic assumption. I'd guess dead, or much later (in that order).

The game doesnt have a release date so, but nobody knows the reason it could be the team developing the WiiU version needs more time and could be building the game more around the gamepad or they could just be releasing it later to wait for more WiiU sales, nobody knows.

What we do know is that the game is not canceled, and for people saying its canceled why would Ubisoft waste more months developing the WiiU version just to cancel it, if they wanted to can it they would do it now and not waste their time.

Quentyn

I don't think they would have said anything if it is only delayed by a couple of weeks. If it is coming out it is in their Q2 or later.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still wonder how much the distribution of the game would cost them. The game must be virtually implemented by know for the Wii U. The development costs are already there. How much on top of that can distribution be that it could make sense for them to not release an already made game?

Or at list release it on eshop.

Mashing

Sent to die. Unless they're not getting development support it makes no good business reason to release it last.

Why bother at a later date. I think this will be cancelled in the end.

Yeah, a later date makes no sense. Unless they're somehow contractually obligated to deliver it at this point, so they'll just slip it our a month or two later, and let the dev teams focus on getting the important versions out the door first.

I'm going to bet that it'll come out 3-6 months late, be missing a couple of features/DLC, sell for $60. Then it'll flop and they'll go "See, the WiiU isn't viable", and pull out altogether.

the last Assassins Creed sold 11,000 copies in it's first month on Wii U. I don't think Ubi need any more reasons to pull out altogether. If anything, it sounds like they already are in the processing of pulling out altogether, which is why the Wii U version of WatchDogs will probably never see the light of day.

Kouriozan

Makes sense, at least it'll get the Mario Kart momentum and if Nintendo manage to release games steadily it'll be better for everyone.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, a later date makes no sense. Unless they're somehow contractually obligated to deliver it at this point, so they'll just slip it our a month or two later, and let the dev teams focus on getting the important versions out the door first.

There are different dev teams.

Seriously.

That said, depending on how well the Gamepad is utilized, I would still consider buying the Wii U version over the PS4. Assassin's Creed 4 doesn't really make me confident that they will utilize it well as they can though.

But Splinter Cell does.

Jigorath

Banned
No one is going to wait an extra couple months just to get the WiiU version. May as well have cancelled it because Ubisoft has sent the game out to die.

newarrior

I'll keep my pre-order open, I've got enough games to play, but I'm not expecting it to ship at this point. Might just grab cheap on Steam during a Christmas sale or something.

jmizzal

Yeah, it does seem eerily reminiscient to the "Aliens: Colonial Marines delayed on Wii U" scenario.

I don't see why Ubisoft would bother to delay ONLY the Wii U version and no other version if there weren't real conversations going on about its release.

how is that the same thing? In there Sega wouldnt even comment on the game and the game just missed its release date, there were no official conf call where Sega said the WiiU version would be delayed, the game was quietly canceled. Ubisot just announced that it will be come out at a later date, not even close to the same as ACM.

Before everyone starts blasting Ubsoft, chances are likely that Nintendo told Ubisoft to delay the game and wait for MK8. Iwata has some insane belief that their family friendly first party games will sell more mature third party games this year.

Plus, he doesn't think WatchDogs Wii U is competing against WatchDogs on other systems.

erawsd

Yeah, it does seem eerily reminiscient to the "Aliens: Colonial Marines delayed on Wii U" scenario.

I don't see why Ubisoft would bother to delay ONLY the Wii U version and no other version if there weren't real conversations going on about its release.

Its probably a matter of them thinking that the WiiU game will have the smallest audience.

The folks that would be working on the WiiU game are, instead, helping get the other versions out on time.

lt519

Before everyone starts blasting Ubsoft, changes are likely that Nintendo told Ubisoft to delay the game and wait for MK8. Iwata has some insane belief that their family friendly first party games will sell more mature third party games this year.

Plus, he doesn't think WatchDogs Wii U is competing against WatchDogs on other systems.

He plans on moving more systems with MK8 and wants WatchDogs to benefit from the larger install base. That actually makes sense, but w/e. DOOOOM

Before everyone starts blasting Ubsoft, changes are likely that Nintendo told Ubisoft to delay the game and wait for MK8. Iwata has some insane belief that their family friendly first party games will sell more mature third party games this year.

None of this scenario you've concocted makes any sense.

Nilaul

Why bother then? Just cancel it, people will get it on other consoles. Its like they are jeopardizing the sales on purpose.

AHA-Lambda

Before everyone starts blasting Ubsoft, chances are likely that Nintendo told Ubisoft to delay the game and wait for MK8. Iwata has some insane belief that their family friendly first party games will sell more mature third party games this year.

ajDiC0H.gif

Top Bottom