• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
This dva crap is so ridiculous to me. They felt 400 armor 100 HP was to little, added 100 armor people went apeshit. Changed to 400 health 200 armor and people crying foul, it's too weak. There's very obviously a happy medium. (It's 300 armor 300 hp FYI). I've never seen so many complaints about such an arbitrary number change. Such a simple fix.

I think this whole thing is just revealing how many people simply like to complain for no real good reason. Dva was never grossly overpowered imo and nothing will ever convince me of that. She's great at soaking up damage, jumping into the back line to attack healers/snipers and chasing down low health characters. That's her niche and she does it well. I've always enjoyed playing as her and think she's a fantastic character.

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
I'm finding it more and more frustrating that you don't get SR for a draw. It makes draws feel like a huge waste of time when the matches themselves can be quite enjoyable. Even just giving each team 15 SR or somehting would leave both teams feeling positive after a hard fought game. As far as I know sports that allow a drawn result usually reward both sides involved.

I know they said they were looking to reduce the number of draws on some of the maps but have they ever mentioned rewarding the teams involved at all?

Cappa

Banned
Topic title sucks. "World of Tanks" would have sufficed. "Sponsored by Gay Money" will get old in like a week tops. It sounded dumb from the get-go imo.

People mentioned 'heavy chokes' but to be specific, I've seen it used most on Hanamura A (and used it myself) to make a path to the hall on the right so the team can go up top and drop on the point. You just put up a wall covering the open space between the main entrance and that hallway, and your team can walk in totally unopposed (depending on the enemy team's lineup).

I use Mei on attack volskaya a lot

Back in the beyblade meta mei was pretty common on attack.

People still use her on attack for choke heavy points.

Why do people pick Bastion or Torn on Attack...

If the situation calls for it, why not
If Attack Mei can pester and push away the Defense inch by inch, your making progress

Her wall can be a buffer for team to rush around it and seep in through without getting damaged
Slowing down enemies that overreach can make Defend teams think twice

Also launch Ultimate right spot, right time, turn tables

Some defense heros are good on attack, Mei has a ult that can potentially team wipe. So there's that.
I guess my Mei avatar didn't give away that I was being sarcastic lol

Some French dude last night after we lost (not before) told me I wasn't very intelligent for picking mei on attack. So i asked why and his response was exactly what I posted lol. I told him very nicely I would have no problems switching why did you wait until the game was already over though. He had no idea how to respond and made some excuse about how he was French and didn't know much English even though he had no problem telling me it was my fault we lost lol.

He was a douche but at least he was nice about it he didn't call me any names.

ISOM

I'm finding it more and more frustrating that you don't get SR for a draw. It makes draws feel like a huge waste of time when the matches themselves can be quite enjoyable. Even just giving each team 15 SR or somehting would leave both teams feeling positive after a hard fought game. As far as I know sports that allow a drawn result usually reward both sides involved.

I know they said they were looking to reduce the number of draws on some of the maps but have they ever mentioned rewarding the teams involved at all?

To play devil's advocate, you could just get people who want to draw for the points without losing.

NeoRaider

Am i the only one or is Ana barely getting cards for healing??

Playing solo heal Mercy: 7-8k healing = cards.
Playing solo heal Ana: 9-10k healing = no cards.

QP.

To play devil's advocate, you could just get people who want to draw for the points without losing.

Yeah nah.

I've had people apologize for everyone but me disconnecting, and then when I ask for a draw since the last round really wasn't fair they just ignore it and go for the throat.

If there's a game where a tie means everyone wins, I bet you'll still see people play their hearts out to make sure the other guy loses.

Jacqli

Am i the only one or is Ana barely getting cards for healing??

Playing solo heal Mercy: 7-8k healing = cards.
Playing solo heal Ana: 9-10k healing = no cards.

QP.
I always look at the percentage rather than the quantity.

Sometimes I healed less, but if that healing was half the damage then I am satisfied.

caesar

Banned
This dva crap is so ridiculous to me. They felt 400 armor 100 HP was to little, added 100 armor people went apeshit. Changed to 400 health 200 armor and people crying foul, it's too weak. There's very obviously a happy medium. (It's 300 armor 300 hp FYI). I've never seen so many complaints about such an arbitrary number change. Such a simple fix.

I think this whole thing is just revealing how many people simply like to complain for no real good reason. Dva was never grossly overpowered imo and nothing will ever convince me of that. She's great at soaking up damage, jumping into the back line to attack healers/snipers and chasing down low health characters. That's her niche and she does it well. I've always enjoyed playing as her and think she's a fantastic character.

She's feels horrible to play against, and she can beat any offence hero in a 1v1 straight up. With this change she won't be able to fly at McCree with DM up and just M1 him down unless you have good tracking. Any braindead Dva can win a 1v1 right now.

Jellie

If I character switch, I wait until I have used my ult so that I can get the most out of my resource. The only exception is when the opposing team has a composition that demands a particular counter. For example, they have a Pharah, and we have no characters that are good at covering the air.

Two questions:
1) Is it just me, or is it better to queue solo in your competitive matches than it is to queue with a casual team? If you queue as a team, you face another team, and then you get steamrolled if they are organized and you're just 6 people who randomly played together a match ago and decided to play together again.

2) I noticed the game has a button that brings up an emote wheel, but clicking on the emotes doesn't do anything. How do I use it?
Depends. The other team might have grouped up from the feature too. Did it once after we steamrolled a team in solo queue and we managed to beat the other 6 stack. Was a close game though. We took Volskya B in overtime and held in overtime.

Paltheos

1) Is it just me, or is it better to queue solo in your competitive matches than it is to queue with a casual team? If you queue as a team, you face another team, and then you get steamrolled if they are organized and you're just 6 people who randomly played together a match ago and decided to play together again

Varies. I feel I've had worse luck with teaming with randoms, but that may have been on me. Last night I did very well, winning or drawing every game with a pair I grouped up with because we communicated well, played well, and didn't turn super-toxic.

Probably the stuff to be wary of are teams that don't communicate much at all during the match but then at the end are like, "Hey, we did pretty well, let's team up," because then you'll be queued against the guys who are talking and left at the end with the unsurprising result at the end that you lost because the enemy team had more info than you did.

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member

I guess that's a risk and people might game the system (though hopefully Blizzard might be able to flag if a player is constantly drawing?)

I just, personally, find it really disheartening to play a round for 10-15 minutes, not lose and then come away with nothing.

I suppose this will be moot anyway if they can come up with a decent way to reduce draws anyway. I'd be a fan of deciding the winner based on how much of the capture circle you can fill - seems weird to me that one team can fill it to the first spot and another to the second spot but the game ends as a draw.

Jellie

I guess that's a risk and people might game the system (though hopefully Blizzard might be able to flag if a player is constantly drawing?)

I just, personally, find it really disheartening to play a round for 10-15 minutes, not lose and then come away with nothing.

I suppose this will be moot anyway if they can come up with a decent way to reduce draws anyway. I'd be a fan of deciding the winner based on how much of the capture circle you can fill - seems weird to me that one team can fill it to the first spot and another to the second spot but the game ends as a draw.

You get 3 points towards a golden gun!

Skii

I play a lot of Dva and she is definitely broken. I will happily 1v1 any hero in the game. I don't give a shit. Dva is also fine going in 2v1 a lot of the times because her DPS, health and DM means it's almost impossible to burst her down before she gets a kill and can then retreat for heals.

Dva at 300/300 means Reaper still can't reliably 1v1 her. You have to balance her around Reaper or this meta will still be fucking terrible. You need Reaper to actually be good against tanks or they will continue to run riot.

You know, if I had one complaint about Overwatch it's how often I end up meeting the same people in matchmaking.

I mean, the player pool on PC is how big?

Divide that by region, by SR rating +/- 1-400, and I still end up seeing the same 2-3 people in a team of 6 for 3 games straight?

And no, I'm not hitting "prefer this player" by mistake.

Most of the time it's a block and a report.

caesar

Banned
You know, if I had one complaint about Overwatch it's how often I end up meeting the same people in matchmaking.

I mean, the player pool on PC is how big?

Divide that by region, by SR rating +/- 1-400, and I still end up seeing the same 2-3 people in a team of 6 for 3 games straight?

And no, I'm not hitting "prefer this player" by mistake.

Most of the time it's a block and a report.

If you finish a game and insta queue odds are you get the same people. If you had a troll wait 5 mins before q. Happens more the higher sr you get as the player pool is even lower.

I just hate losing points because people leaving in mid match making it a 5v6. Maybe I can invite someone to fill in?

We brought that up last OT, it could be easily exploited / used as harassment so I doubt it'll ever happen.

In a perfect world we'd have no DC's, people willing to fill in, people declaring what role they wanted for a comp match before loading in, etc.

But this world isn't perfect, and neither is OW competitive.

If you finish a game and insta queue odds are you get the same people. If you had a troll wait 5 mins before q. Happens more the higher sr you get as the player pool is even lower.

Oh I know, I play DotA so I know about queue times and player pools in proportion to ELO.

But last night I waited 10 seconds to re queue, got the same person. Waited 5 minutes and got the same person. Waited a minute and got them again.

By the third time I felt like Squidward when he sees SpongeBob.

She's feels horrible to play against, and she can beat any offence hero in a 1v1 straight up. With this change she won't be able to fly at McCree with DM up and just M1 him down unless you have good tracking. Any braindead Dva can win a 1v1 right now.

She can't win every 1v1. She isn't that powerful

Some of you grossly exaggerate because you had a bad run in with her. I play dva extensively and still have to hit and run from the likes of Mei, roadhog, zarya which are all common enough to play against. Not to mention this game isn't even meant to be a 1v1 fps. Against any competent team you'll get ganged up on and focus fired. Dva isn't nearly as invisible as you think.

Yeah nah.

I've had people apologize for everyone but me disconnecting, and then when I ask for a draw since the last round really wasn't fair they just ignore it and go for the throat.

If there's a game where a tie means everyone wins, I bet you'll still see people play their hearts out to make sure the other guy loses.
I don't see that as analogous at all. The opposite in fact. That team had no reason to not take the free win, SR, and CP's. If they could still get 15 SR for the draw then there is a much better chance that they would've thrown you a bone.

It wouldn't be uncommon at all to just take the draw, especially on 2CP. Six stacks especially would easily find ways to exploit it.

ISOM

Blizzard has still not fixed that potg bug where you see nothing when looking at it but blinking crosshairs and the sounds of murder. Like how long can they just ignore that?

caesar

Banned
She can't win every 1v1. She isn't that powerful

Some of you grossly exaggerate because you had a bad run in with her. I play dva extensively and still have to hit and run from the likes of Mei, roadhog, zarya which are all common enough to play against. Not to mention this game isn't even meant to be a 1v1 fps. Against any competent team you'll get ganged up on and focus fired. Dva isn't nearly as invisible as you think.

I didn't say every 1v1, I said offense heros. The only one who has a chance is Soldier. I know the game isn't a 1v1 fps, but Dva can take a 1v1 anytime she wants because of her mobility.

Blues1990

Obviously talking about when Pharah is using her ult on the ground. It's so crazy the enemy will never expect it.

As someone mentioned earlier, these are the same folks that said "People don't know how to play Symmetra" before completely reworking her.

The problem, is that Pharah is up in the sky 95 percent of the time, and will rarely activate her ultimate on the ground UNLESS she is flanking.

On the PTR, is there anyway to unequip a voice line, emote, etc. without replacing it with another? Like, just having that slot blank?

Bump.

Blizzard has still not fixed that potg bug where you see nothing when looking at it but blinking crosshairs and the sounds of murder. Like how long can they just ignore that?

isnt that because POTG happened when no game objects were loaded in, like after a CP cap? dunno how you fix that.

Yeah, because the POTG camera isn't recording unless the game clock/overtime is running.

So if you score a quad kill with junkrat as the enemy team walks out of the spawn room, you're POTG is going to be 8 seconds of black screen, and then finally some action.

Similarly, if a DVa launches her Mech out right as the round ends, she's going to get a multi kill because people can't move or block or anything. But the deaths all occur after the clock has run out, and thus, we get black screens.

I didn't say every 1v1, I said offense heros. The only one who has a chance is Soldier. I know the game isn't a 1v1 fps, but Dva can take a 1v1 anytime she wants because of her mobility.

With the new changes of having mostly HP instead of armor dva will probably get completely curb stomped by nearly every offense character. I don't think she's going to feel very tanky anymore. But I haven't played ptr to know yet.

sombra feels like absolute trash

I quite enjoy sombra but her gun is way too weak. The problem is sombra can get the drop on any character she wants via invisibility. So if her gun is stronger she might be too powerful by easily wiping out the back line of healers. I'd like a buff of some sort though.

Sombra kind of feels like Blizzard jumping the shark. She can do too much, and has too many responsibilities. It's so hard to get into the flow of the game. Like we still don't really know what her role on the team is. Ana has a loaded kit, but there is no mystery about what you should be doing as Ana.

I hope doomfist is just a simple character.

Sombra kind of feels like Blizzard jumping the shark. She can do too much, and has too many responsibilities. It's so hard to get into the flow of the game. Like we still don't really know what her role on the team is. Ana has a loaded kit, but there is no mystery about what you should be doing as Ana.

I hope doomfist is just a simple character.

I want Doomfist to be a berserker or reaver type. Like a tank who passively eats some of the incoming damage for his teammates and the lower his health, the more damage he does and faster he moves. Or just a cranked up offense type who has similar effects. I think Overwatch has room for a character who becomes deadlier the lower his health is, sprinting around punching for loads of damage.

Easy to balance, too, since he would be naturally poor against the likes of Mei and Junkrat.

Paltheos

I quite enjoy sombra but her gun is way too weak. The problem is sombra can get the drop on any character she wants via invisibility. So if her gun is stronger she might be too powerful by easily wiping out the back line of healers. I'd like a buff of some sort though.

If her power were increased or her spread reduced, the problem wouldn't be getting the drop but getting out. Translocator is an almost unpunishable, unpreventable escape option. If Sombra had a high chance of getting free picks on back lines because the enemy team no longer had the time to react, she would be a serious problem.

I want Doomfist to be a berserker or reaver type. Like a tank who passively eats some of the incoming damage for his teammates and the lower his health, the more damage he does and faster he moves. Or just a cranked up offense type who has similar effects. I think Overwatch has room for a character who becomes deadlier the lower his health is, sprinting around punching for loads of damage.

Easy to balance, too, since he would be naturally poor against the likes of Mei and Junkrat.

Hell yeah. Gimme Overwatch Huskar.

If her power were increased or her spread reduced, the problem wouldn't be getting the drop but getting out. Translocator is an almost unpunishable, unpreventable escape option. If Sombra had a high chance of getting free picks on back lines because the enemy team no longer had the time to react, she would be a serious problem.

That's the thing, it's too free to get in and out. There's no stopping her with the tool kit she has. But she's pretty useless when she goes in and is just an annoyance instead of a true threat. I've played on really great teams that utilized her well, but that doesn't happen frequently enough. I'm actually in the mood to play her now. Maybe I'll make a day of nothing but quick play sombra to get my fix.

Genji was never grossly overpowered imo and nothing will ever convince me of that. He's great at harassing/disrupting, jumping into the back line to attack healers/snipers and wiping teams with his ult. That's his niche and he does it well. I've always enjoyed playing as him and think he's a fantastic character.
Totally agree!

She feels like more fun than any other hero in the game except possibly Genji.

Not only is Sombra grossly underpowered but I also find her the least fun character to play. I'd reckon about 50% of my time isn't even engaging enemies, just hacking healthpacks and placing beacons.

I switch to Zarya to counter annoying Meis... the bubble stops the freeze completely and you can finish her off.

Maybe it's cause I play mostly on consoles but I rarely come across a Zarya good enough to kill me 1v1 that often, esp with her defensive freeze. Her 4 second shield doesnt compare to Meis 6-7 seconds of continual shooting without a reload. It's a deadly combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom