• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors whose career crashed and burned after a hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
et8Ga.jpg

You couldn't be more popular than Luke Perry and Jason Priestley in the 90's

Kilmer is apparently a nightmare to work with. That goes a long way to sinking your career. Then he got fat.

He bowed out with the terrific Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and the underrated Spartan, just before his bloat took over and he became Jupiters new moon.

It would be a shame if he doesn't do Top Gun 2...or if Cruise simply refuses to work with him. That's a great opportunity for another comeback, but those two despise each other, apparently. They actually got in a fistfight at a charity volleyball tournament.

Riggs

Banned
Jonathan-Brandis-274x374-19kb-media-1139-media-92159-1093814701.jpg

Jonathan Brandis from Seaquest DSV and a few others from the early '90s. Career petered out and he killed himself at age 27. Sad story.

Holy fuck he was the kid from Lady Bugs. I loved that movie. Never knew he killed himself. Was he also in that movie where he played a cali surfer kid who had to move to Ohio with his red headed cousin? And all they did there was skate/hockey, there was this big ending where they all skated down this crazy steep road called Devil's Bluff or something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Some of the choices in this thread are baffling. I wasn't aware that having a known career with a huge hit at some point during it was the same as having a single hit then falling off the map. Christopher Lloyd, Ian McKellan, F. Murray Abraham...REALLY?!

Even someone like Orlando Bloom hardly qualifies, he was in SIX of the highest grossing movies of the last decade, trilogies or not. Cuba is the best answer. Jerry McGuire to Snow Dogs in record time.

thisisneogafdude

Patryn

Holy fuck he was the kid from Lady Bugs. I loved that movie. Never knew he killed himself. Was he also in that movie where he played a cali surfer kid who had to move to Ohio with his red headed cousin? And all they did there was skate/hockey, there was this big ending where they all skated down this crazy steep road called Devil's Bluff or something.

No, that's not him in the skating movie. That movie is called "Airborne" and it incidentally co-stars Seth Green and Jack Black.

I've also seen it way too many times due to HBO airing it like 24/7 while I was growing up.

Fun fact: My sister once bumped into Jack Black and told him that she loved him in it. I guess he found that pretty funny.

Riggs

Banned
No, that's not him in the skating movie. That movie is called "Airborne" and it incidentally co-stars Seth Green and Jack Black.

I've also seen it way too many times due to HBO airing it like 24/7 while I was growing up.

Fun fact: My sister once bumped into Jack Black and told him that she loved him in it. I guess he found that pretty funny.

Hah thank you. Ya HBO would air that fucker all the time, must of been some kind of conspiracy.

MV5BMTQ5NzYwNTU3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTE0Mzk5._V1._SY317_.jpg

Holy shit the guy who played Mitchel Goosen (lol) has done absolutely nothing since then.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0567574/

Guess he just don't give a fuck.

shane.jpg

Some of these posts are ridiculous. I wanted to quote the TheYanger, but then he called out EDDIE MURPHY, who had many many hits before he flatlined. Nothing lasts forever, but give me a break!

tino

Banned
Some of these posts are ridiculous. I wanted to quote the TheYanger, but then he called out EDDIE MURPHY, who had many many hits before he flatlined. Nothing lasts forever, but give me a break!

Eddie Murphy is a good example. He has changed his movie genre so much he has lost his funny.

Salmonax

You guys are crazy with this Christopher Lloyd talk! He was in so many great projects. wth.

Yeah, if anything he's the antithesis of this thread. He broke out as a supporting character on a hit TV show with Taxi, and made a very successful transition to lead roles in movies for years and years.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm not sure if anyone mention

Jaleel White... He finally return to public in Dancing with the Stars this spring and people still called him Urkel..

Poor Guy.

Eddie Murphy is a good example. He has changed his movie genre so much he has lost his funny.

I read the spirit of the OP as characterizing actors who peaked once and never sustained it. Eddie Murphy had a huge career from standup to television to film that's lasted decades. Yeah, he made Pluto Nash and Norbit but it's not like he hasn't come back and made bank on Shrek sequels.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
You can single out any popular TV show from the 90s and chances are 75% of the cast is doing nothing these days (relatively speaking, of course).

BMW-boy-meets-world-536460_600_713.jpg

To be fair, Rider Strong and Will Friedle seem to have steady work, but nothing even remotely close to their stints as Shawn and Eric, respectively. Danielle Fishel (Topanga) basically dropped off the map like that. And Ben Savage has had some small roles in TV shows and made-for-TV movies.

It's not hard to see why so many actors who have a surge in popularity for some time for whatever reason get so depressed when their career begins to fizzle out and it's impossible for them to get work. It's a tough fucking business, that's for sure. You've got to have some serious mental fortitude and willpower to survive.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Has anyone said Keeanu Reeves yet?

The fuck? That's not as dumb as the Pacino pick, but it's up there. He had a shitload of hits spread across the '80s, '90s and '00s.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

No, he fucking isn't. He had a solid decade of constant hits, and several since. Kids...

tino

Banned
No, he fucking isn't. He had a solid decade of constant hits, and several since. Kids...

Constant hits of what? I have heard more than one industry insider made the comment that Eddie Murphy has lost it. In fact that was the reason he turned down the Oscar host job.

Blutonium

Person of Interest says hi, one of the best new shows on TV.

In the first post, I mean actors that are still trying to work after their hit. So after Seinfeld, Dreyfus, Alexander, and Richardson all kept trying to work, but only Dreyfus' career remained great. Alexander's seemed to stagnate, Richardson's crashed and burned.

Do you mean her acting career remained great? Because it seems like acting is just a thing to keep her busy, her family is LOADED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Louis-Dreyfus#Personal_life

ivysaur12

Banned
Mena Suvari and Wes Bentley.

I thought they'd be big after "American Beauty" but they kinda floundered their career. Shame, since they both were talented young actors. Bentley recently tries to do a comeback though by starring in "The Hunger Games" but it'd take a film that showcase his character to do a proper one.

Suvari's in a really funny sitcom pilot at NBC.

Do you mean her acting career remained great? Because it seems like acting is just a thing to keep her busy, her family is LOADED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Louis-Dreyfus#Personal_life

Whoa, I didn't know she was heiress to a billionaire's fortune. Crazy.

When I say great, I mean that after Seinfeld, she actually got another hit with New Christine, and now potentially another one with 'Veep', and all throughout people seem to look at her positively. Versus the other actors in Seinfeld, where they either retired, stagnated, or died (their career that is).

What about pretty much everyone except for Liam Neilson in the Star Wars Prequels? We had a whole thread on what happened to Jake Lloyd awhile back (he crashed and burned harder than any example in this thread).

Also, most of the people from the Twilight series will probably be screwed, except for maybe Robert Patterson.

Bladenic

So many people being mentioned who've had way more than one hit. People are mentioning people who've had more than one hit but just faded or became smaller stars.

Although I do agree with Schwimmer from Friends. Out of all of the cast, he's the only one who has not had anything substantial. He directs really indie films and had one guest appearance on Entourage. Kudrow's been in some movies, notably Easy A and I think PS I love you. LeBlanc had it rough but is back on TV. Really though, they each got paid one million per episode for the last two seasons, so they all should still be set honestly.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
He probably doesn't qualify, but I'd say Brandon Routh. I thought he did a really good job being Superman, considering the shoes he was filling, it's a shame the movie just wasn't strong, since Singer was too in love with the Donner films to give us a proper Superman film. After that, he's had small roles in TV and film, and then the B movie caliber Dylan Dog (which) i admit I kind of liked because of how bad it was). It just seemed to me that they were trying to build him up as a big star, what with him portraying one of the most recognizable superheroes of all time.

gabbo

What about pretty much everyone except for Liam Neilson in the Star Wars Prequels? We had a whole thread on what happened to Jake Lloyd awhile back (he crashed and burned harder than any example in this thread).

Also, most of the people from the Twilight series will probably be screwed, except for maybe Robert Patterson.

Ewan McGregor isn't exactly hard up for work between riding his motorcycles around the world, Portman just won an Oscar. Christiansen has gotten steady film work since, Christopher Lee has been acting for nearly 70 years, Emperor Palpatine is the Pope. Surprisingly even George Lucas still gets work.

I guess Samuel L. Jackson hasn't been in nearly as many movies a year as the time the prequels were out, but it's only April. Man's got eight more months to fill.

I have a strong feeling most of the people being listed simply decided to opt for an early retirement. I'd probably do the same if I made the kind of the money they did.

I was enjoying this thread until people seriously started arguing Eddie freakin' Murphy fit the definition the OP listed. How old are some of you? Jesus.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
cam56.JPG

oh ya

He became a dumb ass Christian dipshit.

JdFoX187

Banned

You mean Liam Neeson? Ewan McGregor has been doing well enough for himself. Natalie Portman is coming off an Oscar win. Samuel L. Jackson is still Samuel L. Jackson. Ray Park still has plenty of work. I would say Jake Lloyd is the only one out of that series to completely fail.

As for Twilight, Taylor Lautner is going to be the only one that fails to segue to something else. Kristen Stewart was already popular before she was ever signed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom