• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Shizuka

Thanks for the contributions. I mentioned "Trace Memory" R through its European title (Another Code R).

Was Danganronpa 2 fan translated? And was 999: The Novel originally released in Japan? I had no idea it exists!

Also, has anyone ever tried to translate Baroque Syndrome (Playstation)? Baroque for the Sega Saturn is one of my favorite games (I haven't played the Wii/PS2 "remake", though), so it would be great to have Syndrome available in English. But I guess it's just a dream at this point.

Danganronpa 2 was officially released in the West by NIS America and 999: The Novel was released in all regions.

Thanks for the contributions. I mentioned "Trace Memory" R through its European title (Another Code R).

Was Danganronpa 2 fan translated? And was 999: The Novel originally released in Japan? I had no idea it exists!

Also, has anyone ever tried to translate Baroque Syndrome (Playstation)? Baroque for the Sega Saturn is one of my favorite games (I haven't played the Wii/PS2 "remake", though), so it would be great to have Syndrome available in English. But I guess it's just a dream at this point.
Yeah, I missed Another Code R, whoops. (I guess Trace Memory R isn't even a thing really... ;_;)

DanganRonpa 2 did get a fan translation in addition to the official one release by NISA, and the iOS version of 999 was released in Japan.

Shizuka

Yeah, I missed Another Code R, whoops. (I guess Trace Memory R isn't even a thing really... ;_;)

DanganRonpa 2 did get a fan translation in addition to the official release by NISA, and the iOS version of 999 was released in Japan.

By whom? Team Zetsubou cancelled that project after NISA announced it.

Yeah I don't really count those at all as a way to experience VNs.
It's not the ideal way for sure, but that's how I got to see Ace Attorney Investigations 2, and I'm glad for it.

But I guess if there's a list being compiled, I probably wouldn't include it either if that was the only translation a game had.

It's not the ideal way for sure, but that's how I got to see Ace Attorney Investigations 2, and I'm glad for it.

But I guess if there's a list being compiled, I probably wouldn't include it either if that was the only translation a game had.

Yeah, there's a Let's Play for Otogirisou (SNES) and a complete one for Yakouchuu II: Satsujin Kouru (Nintendo 64), but I would not include those on the list.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well it actually got a patch so the way for me there would be to play AAI2/Gyakuten Kenji 2 patched so bad example game there. ;P I guess if someone had no choice those would be okay then but I'd actually wait for patches or language mastery to go through the game.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is Narcissu really free on Steam? I see that there is the first and second game, isn't there a third one?

It is! I wonder if they're working on the third one atm?
EBSpgwu.png

Regarding 999: The Novel, is this really worth reading if you read 999? (Is it available on Android devices?)

It's a nice way to remember the story, but like Banshee's Last Cry, it's iOS-only.
Well, it does have one new bad ending too, if that's of interest. But from everything I've heard, if you have the DS version, that's all you need. I'd only suggest the iOS one of you can't get it for the DS, or if you just want to support the series some more.

Yeah, there's a Let's Play for Otogirisou (SNES) and a complete one for Yakouchuu II: Satsujin Kouru (Nintendo 64), but I would not include those on the list.
Yeah, generally I'd agree.

I'm very happy that DanganRonpa 2 did get an official translation and release this year though. I'm still hoping that Ace Attorney Investigations 2 will one day get the same.

It's a nice way to remember the story, but like Banshee's Last Cry, it's iOS-only.

I got so excited when they announced that Kamaitachi no Yoru was being translated. Then they released it without much publicity and it fell under my radar until recently. I wish they could port it to Android devices as "soon" as they said they would, but still...

My Japanese is terrible, so I can barely play some Visual Novels in their original languages (maybe "playing" them is not what I do... I merely stumble through them trying to understand something, anything at all). Last one I tried my luck with is Higanbana (GBA). But there comes a point where things get convoluted and the cultural barrier was too high to overcome
(they talk about Oni -- which, I guess, are spirits akin to demons -- and from there on I could never grasp anything else from the story)
. Maybe I'll try my luck with something simpler next time...

Speaking of Banshee's Last Cry, what's the current deal with the save bug?

I heard that auto save works, but manual doesn't. Is that true? What's the work around?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Steins;Gate isn't actually going to hit Steam is it? I see it listed under Steam in the OP. Did something change?

Still waiting for it...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Steins;Gate isn't actually going to hit Steam is it? I see it listed under Steam in the OP. Did something change?

Still waiting for it...

Nah, the icon for that is just confusing, so if it has a blue circle around the Steam logo it's on Steam.

In regards to it hitting Steam you'll have to bug 5pb since apparently they won't let JAST since the contract they signed for Steins;Gate doesn't allow it, so we'll have to wait for a renewal to see if it's even a possibility right now.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Nah, the icon for that is just confusing, so if it has a blue circle around the Steam logo it's on Steam.

In regards to it hitting Steam you'll have to bug 5pb since apparently they won't let JAST since the contract they signed for Steins;Gate doesn't allow it, so we'll have to wait for a renewal to see if it's even a possibility right now.
Gotcha, thanks.

Guess I'm better off giving up and going for the physical now. Maybe some day it'll hit Steam.

Just found out that Air, Kanon and Little Busters! all have complete translations now. Guess I've been living under a rock all these years...

At least I can say the list is shaping up nicely! ^_^ 81 titles so far after your contributions!

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS)
999: The Novel (iPhone)
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
Again (DS)
Air (PC)
Another Code: R – A Journey into Lost Memories (Wii)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (DS)
Banshee's Last Cry (iPhone)
Case Closed (Wii)
Chaos;Head (PC)
Clannad (PC)
Corpse Party (PSP)
Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSP)
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita)
EVE: Burst Error (PC)
Ever 17: The Out of Infinity (PC)
Famicom Tantei Club Part II (SNES)
Fate/hollow ataraxia (PC)
Fate/stay night (PC)
Hakuouki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom (PSP)
Hakuouki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi (PSP)
Hakuouki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS)
Hakuouki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3)
Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
Higurashi: When They Cry (PC)
Hotel Dusk (DS)
Jake Hunter: Crash and Burn (iPhone)
Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles (DS)
Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past (DS)
Jake Hunter: Seaside City Conspiracy (iPhone)
Katawa Shoujo (PC)
Kanon (PC)
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (DS)
Layton Brothers: Mystery Room (Android, iPhone)
LifeSigns: Surgical Unit (DS)
Little Busters! (PC)
Love Hina (GBA)
Love Plus (DS)
Lux Pain (DS)
Never 7: The End of Infinity (PC)
Narcissu (PC)
Narcissu: Side 2nd (PC)
No, Thank You!!! (PC)
Phantasy Star Adventure (Game Gear)
Phantasy Star II Text Adventures (Mega Drive/Sega Genesis)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS, Wii, iPhone, 3DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS, iPhone)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All (DS, Wii, iPhone, 3DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (DS, Wii, iPhone, 3DS)
Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet (iPhone)
Policenauts (Playstation)
Portpia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (NES)
Princess Debut (DS)
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS)
Professor Layton and the Last Specter (DS)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (3DS)
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (DS)
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)
Radical Dreamers (SNES)
Remember 11: The Age of Infinity (PC)
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (Wii, PS2)
Saya no Uta (PC)
Shinpi no Sekai El-Hazard (GBA)
Snatcher (Sega CD)
Steins;Gate (PC)
Sweet Fuse: At Your Side (PSP)
Theresia (DS)
Time Hollow (DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side: 1st Love (DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side: 2nd Kiss (DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side: 3rd Story (PSP)
Touch Detective (DS)
Touch Detective 2 ½ (DS)
Trace Memory (DS)
Umineko: When They Cry (PC)
XBLAZE: Code Embryo (Vita, PS3)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS, Vita)

Shizuka

Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi isn't exactly a visual novel. It's a musou game with some story, it can't really be considered a visual novel.

Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi isn't exactly a visual novel. It's a musou game with some story, it can't really be considered a visual novel.

Oops. My bad. Thanks.

I found out that the Gensou Suikogaiden games were translated as well! Nice!

Also, I found out that The King of Fighters Kyo was translated to Spanish, but no English translation so far. Speaking of SNK, was there ever any attempt to translate the games from the Days of Memories series?

Just a small note, you might want to list games as iOS instead of iPhone, because you can play them on more than just smart phones.

Voliko

Speaking of Banshee's Last Cry, what's the current deal with the save bug?

I heard that auto save works, but manual doesn't. Is that true? What's the work around?
The manual save function is broken basically. The game is short enough that you can get by on just using the auto save. You can backtrack through decisions/branches so it's only a minor inconvenience.

The manual save function is broken basically. The game is short enough that you can get by on just using the auto save. You can backtrack through decisions/branches so it's only a minor inconvenience.
How exactly does the auto save work? Does it save on every page, or just after decisions?

Shizuka

Sweet. :/

I just asked in the iOS thread about some sites that'll help me keep track of sales since they don't seem to get much publicity on GAF.

Only one I know is this one. It won't help you with Banshee's Last Cry, since it's available for free with a paywall IAP to unlock the rest of the game.

What the heck, you have Jake Hunter on the list but not the DOS and TurboGrafx-16 localizations of J.B. Harold Murder Club? Also, Jesus for Famicom has an English fan translation.

Shizuka

World End Economica is another one missing. Just digging some Sekai Project stuff, there are a whole lot more to come.

What the heck, you have Jake Hunter on the list but not the DOS and TurboGrafx-16 localizations of J.B. Harold Murder Club? Also, Jesus for Famicom has an English fan translation.

Last time I played Jesus, it had some awful problems, such as lines repeating all over again and broken translations. But it's been some years since I gave it a try, so I probably need to play the game with the updated patch and see the results.

Also, I have to add Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom to the list.

Yuuichi

Just looking over the list, I see anything by OverDrive (KiraKira, Deardrops, GGN), several other mangagamer (Shuffle,Tick Tack, ect.) releases and JAST releases (Aseria, Yumina, Kana, ect.) missing.

Honestly you should really be using this , vndb with search filters language English and original language Japanese. Don't just blindly list things, you need to double check the patches on game pages and make sure that the patches aren't partial, but I think you'll have more luck with this because VNDB is very well maintained.

Last time I played Jesus, it had some awful problems, such as lines repeating all over again and broken translations. But it's been some years since I gave it a try, so I probably need to play the game with the updated patch and see the results.
They did a heavy patch and released in 2012, so it's probably worth revisiting now. The new patch readme notes there were lots of flaws to the original translation.

A shame I probably cannot talk about Japanese text adventures here. Not sure if anyone's got a thread specifically for that genre.

Yuuichi

They did a heavy patch and released in 2012, so it's probably worth revisiting now. The new patch readme notes there were lots of flaws to the original translation.

A shame I probably cannot talk about Japanese text adventures here. Not sure if anyone's got a thread specifically for that genre.

I don't see any reason why not.

Just looking over the list, I see anything by OverDrive (KiraKira, Deardrops, GGN), several other mangagamer (Shuffle,Tick Tack, ect.) releases and JAST releases (Aseria, Yumina, Kana, ect.) missing.

Honestly you should really be using this , vndb with search filters language English and original language Japanese. Don't just blindly list things, you need to double check the patches on game pages and make sure that the patches aren't partial, but I think you'll have more luck with this because VNDB is very well maintained.

VNDB is a nice resource for VNs, but my focus is not on listing every VN translated to English. I did add some notable VNs to the list, but I don't want it to end up as another "VN recommendation list", so I'll be careful about what to add to it.

You guys are helping me a lot with the list. Thank you, really!

soc

A while back, I picked up the two Steins;Gate spinoff games on sale for the PS Vita.

"Hiyoku Renri no Darling" is pretty much a love-comedy fan disc, and "Linear Bounded Phenogram" is an anthology of novella-length stories told from the point of view of different characters in the Steins;Gate universe.

I enjoyed them both and recommend them to anyone who liked Steins;Gate.

I haven't tried the demo (since I don't do demos anymore) but I mean I guess that's the best sample of what it will be like. Not too much info on it, and it's fairly new in Japan too (just came out in August).

Just stinks that we are SO CLOSE and yet so far with everyone dropping pledges. Would suck if we got so close and couldn't make the full voice acting goal...

Thanks! I'm not trying to be blunt or to ask for information that would shine a negative light on this I promise. I'm just looking for the ballpark, not the ball.

The only idea I have on how long this is is based on how much a digital copy the other Sekai Kickstarters are going for and how long those VNs are. It sounds like it isn't going to become a different VN halfway through (or something like that) so I'm good there.

I want this to succeed myself (looks like someone took the last $600 pledge) and it looks like it made the $46K amount with PayPal pledges included...I just haven't decided if I'm joining in yet or not.

cj_iwakura

Ty3FxQY.jpg

My gameplan is to watch the anime, then catch up using the VN. Since it's not fan translated yet and all, and likely never will be.

I can kind of see why R;N got the PS3/HD treatment. It is a MUCH flashier game than Steins;Gate, using 3d models over the still artwork and all.

Nicer in motion than I expected, and I love the UI. Lots of system sounds that come from consoles(like the PS2's 'whoosh' sound when you see the system logo and the Wii home sound).

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm so happy that WAS got funded for full voicework^^ I'm so happy!! Sekai is giving us so many new VNs to play :)

Well, I'm so happy that WAS got funded for full voicework^^ I'm so happy!! Sekai is giving us so many new VNs to play :)
Same. Vns are best when they are fully voiced.

Ty3FxQY.jpg

My gameplan is to watch the anime, then catch up using the VN. Since it's not fan translated yet and all, and likely never will be.

I can kind of see why R;N got the PS3/HD treatment. It is a MUCH flashier game than Steins;Gate, using 3d models over the still artwork and all.

Nicer in motion than I expected, and I love the UI. Lots of system sounds that come from consoles(like the PS2's 'whoosh' sound when you see the system logo and the Wii home sound).

If you don't have trouble with japanese i honnestly think you should go for the game and ignore the anime

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I had thought the Vita version of R;N was the definitive version since it fixed a lot of the problems that the other versions had.

cj_iwakura

I had thought the Vita version of R;N was the definitive version since it fixed a lot of the problems that the other versions had.

Such as? It's a lot easier to play imports on the PS3 though, so, no brainer for me.
(And I prefer VNs on consoles as well.)

If you don't have trouble with japanese i honnestly think you should go for the game and ignore the anime

I'm still learning to read it. I can understand the gist of audio, though.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Sekai put up a quick poll.

I don't know why anyone would say "no". More communication and discussion from fans is a great thing!

EDIT: Trial forum already up.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Such as? It's a lot easier to play imports on the PS3 though, so, no brainer for me.
(And I prefer VNs on consoles as well.)

Not completely sure but I was told this by a few people since I told them I was interested in getting it at some point otherwise I'd just get the PS3 version.
How is it easier? I just put in my japanese cards in like any of my other games and it works.

cj_iwakura

Not completely sure but I was told this by a few people since I told them I was interested in getting it at some point otherwise I'd just get the PS3 version.
How is it easier? I just put in my japanese cards in like any of my other games and it works.

Because I don't have to switch cards.

Top Bottom