• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance vs HALO 3 (comparison inside)

Striker

EternalGamer said:
Nobody "played" Halo 3 in that walk through. They viewed a slightly interactive "real time" cutscene that was (not so coincidentally) labeled "Halo 3." Meanwhile I have been playing the real Halo 3 for a full week now, so I have a pretty good idea of what it looks like.
Bungie ran a single player walk through to show it is done in real-time and not some phony video to make everybody believe that's what it would look like.

Cut scenes in Halo 3, as told before in one of the vi-docs, will be used in real-time.

And you've been playing a MP beta. That's all.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Steroyd said:
Resistance vs Xbox 360 shooters.

bitchsmacked.gif

off topic: This was one of the best kills in Video Gaming History:D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
why is this thread still around? what is wrong with you people?

StevieP

Banned
DD-11 said:
I don't know why people think this can't be done. Look at Gears. How much better does this look really? Games will look better than Gears, it happens each generation. Besides, it's not as if the MC model will be on screen anyway. Take him out and what's left? A pretty sweet looking desert. Add some bad guys and if you think the 360 + Bungie can't pull this off, then argue away.

Those were both 'bullshots' or 'gussied up with AA/AF that you didn't/won't see in the final game' or whatever you folks are calling it now.

VASPER

Banned
So first off i played all the way through Resistance.

Halo 3 looks and playes better.
Halo 2 playes better one player and multiplayer. does not look better but is better!
halo 1 plaeys better one player and multiplayer. does not look better but is better!

Bottom line ALL HALOS ARE BETTER!
End of discussion

JdFoX187

Banned
EternalGamer said:
Nobody "played" Halo 3 in that walk through. They viewed a slightly interactive "real time" cutscene that was (not so coincidentally) labeled "Halo 3." Meanwhile I have been playing the real Halo 3 for a full week now, so I have a pretty good idea of what it looks like.
What part of multiplayer beta do you not comprehend? Or are you just purposely ignoring the fact the Beta does not have all of the final graphical assets, not to mention it's probably not going to be as good looking as the single player, simply so you can troll Halo 3? Guess what, I've been playing Halo 3 for a week as well and it looks excellent, even for a Beta.

DD-11

StevieP said:
Those are both 'bullshots' or 'gussied up with AA/AF that you didn't/won't see in the final game' or whatever you folks are calling it now.

The problem with that statement is that I was refering to the Gears that I play on my TV everyday. It doesn't look that much worse--if at all--than that H3 pic.

jjasper

VASPER said:
So first off i played all the way through Resistance.

Halo 3 looks and playes better.
Halo 2 playes better one player and multiplayer. does not look better but is better!
halo 1 plaeys better one player and multiplayer. does not look better but is better!

Bottom line ALL HALOS ARE BETTER!
End of discussion

Well it looks like VASPER has spoken. It is official Resistance is worse than Halo

Striker said:
Bungie ran a single player walk through to show it is done in real-time and not some phony video to make everybody believe that's what it would look like.

Cut scenes in Halo 3, as told before in one of the vi-docs, will be used in real-time.

And you've been playing a MP beta. That's all.

They fooled you once with the Halo 2 footage pre-release. If you are naive enough to accept them at their word before you play the final product, that's your problem not mine.

I am playing a beta of a game that is going to be released in about four months. Miracles would have to happen to bridge the gap between what I am playing and what those images show even taking into consideration the fact that we are talking single player versus multiplayer and beta versus final.

Xdrive05

DD-11 said:
I don't know why people think this can't be done. Look at Gears. How much better does this look really? Games will look better than Gears, it happens each generation. Besides, it's not as if the MC model will be on screen anyway. Take him out and what's left? A pretty sweet looking desert. Add some bad guys and if you think the 360 + Bungie can't pull this off, then argue away.

Well first of all, you WILL see the model on screen unless they scrapped co-op. I wouldn't hold my breath for that, tbh.

I personally think he will look a lot more like the Spartan models in the beta, maybe a tad higher poly or with a bit of a texture upgrade, but I don't expect much more than that. Why? Because look at Halo. Look at Halo 2. Compare the difference between SP and MP. Halo 3 has roughly the same scale of multi player. And if anything, a larger scale SP means it will be LESS likely to look that good (compared to the MP->SP upgrade in Halo 2).

Also, remember that in Halo 2 the MC model was WAY suped-up in the cut scenes. Maybe the in-engine cut scenes will look like that MC model we're discussing, while the game play MC will look more like the MP model.

We have to be realistic here when we speculate. But I think Bungie's gonna blow us all away this September regardless of whether chief looks like that promo.

DD-11

Xdrive05 said:
Well first of all, you WILL see the model on screen unless they scrapped co-op. I wouldn't hold my breath for that, tbh.

I personally think he will look a lot more like the Spartan models in the beta, maybe a tad higher poly or with a bit of a texture upgrade, but I don't expect much more than that. Why? Because look at Halo. Look at Halo 2. Compare the difference between SP and MP. Halo 3 has roughly the same scale of multi player. And if anything, a larger scale SP means it will be LESS likely to look that good (compared to the MP->SP upgrade in Halo 2).

Also, remember that in Halo 2 the MC model was WAY suped-up in the cut scenes. Maybe the in-engine cut scenes will look like that MC model we're discussing, while the game play MC will look more like the MP model.

We have to be realistic here when we speculate. But I think Bungie's gonna blow us all away this September regardless of whether chief looks like that promo.

Sorry, I'm not used to reason and sense, so I really don't understand anything you just wrote.

I agree with you, mostly

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
EternalGamer said:
They fooled you once with the Halo 2 footage pre-release. If you are naive enough to accept them at their word before you play the final product, that's your problem not mine. I am playing a beta of a game that is going to be released in about four months. Miracles would have to happen to bridge the gap between what I am playing and what those images show even takinging into consideration the fact that we are talking single player versus multiplayer and beta versus final.

Yeah mulitplayer beta, single player graphics will always look better than mp graphics look at GRAW for example SP looks much better than MP. So we could still see those type of gfx for halo 3 sp.

szaromir

Banned
Actually there are thing that the Beta is doing much better than the E3 trailer. However, what it is missing is that incredible lighting and shadowing that made the trailer so awesome. I hope it'll be there in SP.

dk_

Qwerty710710 said:
Yeah mulitplayer beta, single player graphics will always look better than mp graphics look at GRAW for example SP looks much better than MP. So we could still see those type of gfx for halo 3 sp.
But Gears proves the fact that it is indeed possible.

antiloop

DD-11 said:

But it has no jaggies.

Striker

EternalGamer said:
They fooled you once with the Halo 2 footage pre-release. If you are naive enough to accept them at their word before you play the final product, that's your problem not mine.

I am playing a beta of a game that is going to be released in about four months. Miracles would have to happen to bridge the gap between what I am playing and what those images show even taking into consideration the fact that we are talking single player versus multiplayer and beta versus final.
So Bungie is lying and you're right, despite having no knowledge? Brilliance.

m0dus said:
"Four months?" Are you unable to comprehend the fact that the 'BETA' you're playing is a snapshot of the game in development LAST YEAR?

Do you think they took the most up-to-the-minute assets and code? you'd have to be daft. They took a vertical slice of MP, locked it down, and tested the ever-living hell out of it, for months, before making it available for immediate consumption. the H3 beta is, in development terms, old news.

True or not, that beta is the empirical evidence we currently have available to us. We should not give developers the benefit of the doubt, especially when they have shown in the past to have not deserved it.

That actual beta that is playable should hold more weight than some glorified realtime cut scene that was shown six months ago when it comes to estimating what the final product will look like.

szaromir

Banned
m0dus said:
"Four months?" Are you unable to comprehend the fact that the 'BETA' you're playing is a snapshot of the game in development LAST YEAR?

Do you think they took the most up-to-the-minute assets and code? you'd have to be daft. They took a vertical slice of MP, locked it down, and tested the ever-living hell out of it, for months, before making it available for immediate consumption. the H3 beta is, in development terms, old news.
Well, Stinkles in a Weekly Update wrote the would look somewhat close to the final MP look, and an Alpha tester I know said that the game got much prettier over last 4 months. So the Beta does not look like the Alpha did last year.

My God, are the people claiming "Halo crow eating is coming" delusional or something? They aren't going to redo the graphics drammatically from what you're seeing now, there isn't that much time left and more importantly, they wouldn't of released it in the first place if it wasn't indicative of the final product. My advice is to not expect too much besides improved anti-aliasing.

m0dus said:
:lol yes. because those halo games never deliver.

what an utterly pointless exercise. I've somehow stumbled in a gamefaqs thread, it seems. Quick poll: who would win in a fight: Sonic, or Rayman? cast your vote NOW!

This is not about whether or not Halo 3 will be a good game or whether or not it will deliver It is an argument over an estimation of what the final product will look like. You are trying to argue that we should believe the heavily restricted demo from last year over the actual game we are playing now. In the past Bungie showed media that ended being bullshots (whether or not they were intended to decieve).

typhonsentra said:
My God, are the people claiming "Halo crow eating is coming" delusional or something? They aren't going to redo the graphics drammatically from what you're seeing now, there isn't that much time left and more importantly, they wouldn't of released it in the first place if it wasn't indicative of the final product. My advice is to not expect too much besides improved anti-aliasing.

They are living in fantasy land. It is just like those Nintendo fans last Fall that were convinced that there was a possibility Nintendo was intentionally underrepresenting the power of the Wii at E3 in order to "surprise" everyone with a super computer in a box. To paraphrase American Beauty, "never underestimate the power of [fanboy] self denial.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
szaromir said:
Well, Stinkles in a Weekly Update wrote the would look somewhat close to the final MP look, and an Alpha tester I know said that the game got much prettier over last 4 months. So the Beta does not look like the Alpha did last year.

From B.net:

"Q: How close to final is the Beta build?

A: The Beta build is a Beta build. There’s a lot of work yet to be done and many things can and will change. These include graphics, performance, features, controls, in short, everything you’re seeing in the Beta is subject to change."

The two games have slightly different art styles (Resistance is more dark, Halo is more colorful), but I do think that there's a point when shooters can't get much better then this on now gen systems. This is souly because of their art styles.
Basically, I don't see too much of a difference between the two, but since Halo 3 is more colorful and I enjoy color, (and all we've seen is the beta so far... I'm expecting good things) so I give the upper-hand to Halo 3.

op_ivy

SpudBud said:
Wow, what the hell happend in here?!?

i have to ask, what did you expect with a thread like this? gaming age edges closer to gamefaqs stupidity daily

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
op_ivy said:
i have to ask, what did you expect with a thread like this? gaming age edges closer to gamefaqs stupidity daily

:(

But which is better, Gears or Halo?

op_ivy

urk said:
:(

But which is better, Gears or Halo?

well duh, master chief >>>>>>>> marcus any day. though cloud strife destroys all.

by the way, whats with the ever changing avatar?

From what I've played (graphically speaking of course): Resistance PSN demo > Halo multiplayer beta.

Gameplay is a whole different story though. :)

Edit: I'd like to point out that I think Gears of War looks better than any PS3 game at the moment.

bouc_emissaire

Who Compares, Wins
My apologies for this thread.

I think that Halo 3 is a good looking game, and Bungie will certainly deliver a very good game with a good gameplay.

But Resistance received a lot of bad comments before its release (like Halo 3 today, and like Resistance, we've got to wait for the final version) and now, it appears it wasn't a bad looking game, it's just like an other first party FPS game with open and big maps.

In my comparison, i used renders (for Resistance and Halo 3), final caps (for Resistance) and old build (for Resistance and Halo 3).

Didn't want to offense Halo fans, i think the pics i used for Halo 3 deserve the game.

Peace (and love, all we need is love and respect for the work of developpers :D ).

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
So Resistance looks better than Halo3 beta. What's the big deal? Why are people getting so upset at someone doing a comparison??

People do comparisons of unfinished games all the time. We compare and note "well this game still has time to improve" and move on.

If you believe somehow Halo3 will improve exponentially graphically, I have a few bridges to sell you.

As far as Gameplay and Multiplayer Resistance is second to none for any next gen shooter out on both platforms IMO

rafman400

Gears vs Halo 3 vs Resistance

Graphically
Gears>Resistance>Halo 3

Gameplay
Halo 3>Gears>Resistance

And I'm in the Sony Camp.

Top Bottom