• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Would this not have been denied by now if it wasn't true?
Give them a break. It popped up when the weekend started for the Japanese.

Sony can't, and never could, command third parties to complete games in a timely fashion. Twenty million to rush Versus out the door is a huge waste of money, that's how much it costs to build an Uncharted, which makes them more than a hundred million, the royalties of Versus might make them twenty million at most.

A moronic waste of cash.
Dark Cloud (both games) seemed to work out okay for Sony when collaborating with a third-party studio. White Knight Chronicles also (somewhat).

So some website called Playstation Gang claims it's not cancelled and it will be shown at Tokyo Game Show. I wouldn't post it, but since it matches up with Kagari's claim, I'd risk posting it. Wouldn't otherwise.

http://playstationgang.com/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-is-not-canceled/

Sorry if it's bullshit.

That article's source for the game not being canceled actually is Kagari's quote from this thread. There are a lot of sites and blogs reporting on that post of hers.

Edit: Beaten by a couple people.

Ammish

Banned
It's actually quite sad that all the 'evidence' websites are reporting with "Versus XIII Not Cancelled" are all from a neogaf post, just subverted and now avoiding to reference it.

Then again, it is small playstation game website. Should've not posted. Oh well.

DJIzana

It's actually quite sad that all the 'evidence' websites are reporting with "Versus XIII Not Cancelled" are all from a neogaf post, just subverted and now avoiding to reference it.

Then again, it is small playstation game website. Should've not posted. Oh well.

Not sad for Kagari as this is just a rep booster for her. Sad for other gaming news sites hahaha.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
GAF -> Internet -> GAF.

But like APZonerunner said, we're both trying to dig deeper into the matter.

Ideally SE will respond soon; maybe Kotaku should have waited to post their article until Monday and we'd have seen a quicker response time not going into the weekend.

GAF -> Internet -> GAF.

Ideally SE will respond soon; maybe Kotaku should have waited to post their article until Monday and we'd have seen a quicker response time not going into the weekend.

Posting it on Friday was clearly their plan. A full weekend of hits!

Mxrz

I might be biased here, but I think a huge portion of the fans would be satisfied if they made FF's similar to FFVI through FFX but with the benefits of modern hardware's horsepower.

Eh, I wouldn't be satisfied at all. That recent demo was awesome, the thought of saddling it with ATB again, or the psx era anime cliches would be incredibly disappointing. New game, new experience. There are other jrpgs for typical stuff. FF needs to keep innovating.

Just noticed there was a Game Informer interview with Nomura in May where he makes a vague comment on Vs. Of course it falls outside the scope of time of this rumor.
SE were 100% reached out to for comment before the story was posted and declined to do so, for the record. Or so I've been told, anyway.
Do you know which branch of S-E...?

Abylim

If it really does end up at TGS, I hope they actually show it off to the public. And not a blacked out trailer for investors or a closed theater. Anything at Sony's conference will probably be blacked out.

Epcott

now just put more resources on the next deus-ex
Wait, before that... they need to put some of that into Thi4f. If SE could bring that to consoles, lack of a decent FF would be tolerable.

Huge blowout at TGS with a firm release date, believe.
Ha ha, I don't know about that. I'm afraid to get my hopes up.

Has anyone tried to contact any of the Versus XIII team outside of the well known names? Or are they relatively unknown?

Aeana

Has anyone tried to contact any of the Versus XIII team outside of the well known names? Or are they relatively unknown?
It's unlikely for anybody to actually risk posting what they've heard off the record. It's best to wait for an official response.

GAF -> Internet -> GAF.

Thats what proper journalism would have done.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Eh, I wouldn't be satisfied at all. That recent demo was awesome, the thought of saddling it with ATB again, or the psx era anime cliches would be incredibly disappointing. New game, new experience. There are other jrpgs for typical stuff. FF needs to keep innovating.

This, one of the series strong points is that every game in general feels like it's own game not tied to anything else. Battle system included.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As a follow up, there will also be a thread if their statements are non-denials tomorrow (like "We can't comment on this project."), since that's at least something more solid to discuss.

However, until then this thread is becoming more of an FF discussion thread and less a rumor discussion thread, which is more appropriate for the Community thread.

Here's a link to the Community thread if you wish to continue this line: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447963

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom