• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth Alpha Gameplay

Nasreddin

Gameplay impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHq8pgWFAdw

Developed by Daedalic Entertainment

Coming August 17 to PS4, Xbox One, PC and Mobile.

Daedalic said:
Set in 12th century England, a time of great poverty and war, “The Pillars of the Earth” takes place in the fictional town of Kingsbridge as it begins the construction of a Cathedral to assure wealth and security for its people. Philip, a monk, becomes the prior of Kingsbridge abbey. Jack, an ambitious architect, is commissioned to build the village cathedral. Aliena and her younger brother Richard, have to survive on their own; after their father, the Earl of Shiring, is incarcerated and murdered. Meanwhile, Prior Philip's rivals, Bishop Waleran and William Hamleigh, a vengeful noble rejected by Aliena, see the town and its rise to importance as a thorn in their flesh. They want to see Kingsbridge burn.

Who in the world thought Ken Follet was a good choice to franchise games on? Tom Clancy I get, but Follet is like, novels your great uncle reads.

I thought it was kind of silly when they made a board game, and now a video game?
Ok.
Edit:
Actually it doesn't look too bad and the art style is kinda cool.

KHlover

Banned
It's a great setting for a Point-and-klick adventure game and Daedalic is very accomplished in the genre. Don't see the issue here.

Fitz

I'm not sure how interested I'd be, at least on release, if it weren't for:
Change events from the novel and influence the fates of its characters
Presumably the story will still follow the same general path, but that has me interested enough to consider it at launch. I really like the look of the artwork as well though, so I'd probably pick it up either way eventually.

wouwie

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one and i'm looking forward to the release of the first part in August. I haven't been impressed with many Daedalic adventures yet but this seems promising. I adore the art style, especially the background art (reminds me a bit of Chains of Satinav). Apparently, gameplay is a lot more Telltale/story than proper adventure but i don't mind in this case.

I thought it was kind of silly when they made a board game, and now a video game?
Ok.
Edit:
Actually it doesn't look too bad and the art style is kinda cool.

It's actually a great boardgame, and I'm not the only one who thinks so! It appears on many top-100 lists.

wouwie

This comes out in a few days. I'm looking forward to it and might buy day one depending on reviews. Love the presentation and i hope it will have a good story, which is the main focus of the game instead of a traditional point & click adventure with puzzles.

Anyone else looking forward to this?

neoemonk

Who in the world thought Ken Follet was a good choice to franchise games on? Tom Clancy I get, but Follet is like, novels your great uncle reads.

I had never heard of this series, but my grandmother came to stay with us last week and picked up this paperback when she got into town.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm down. Love me a good adventure game and really enjoyed The Pillars of the Earth and Daedalic are pretty good.

Lister

Banned
I never read the books, but I LOVED the mini-series. Basically Game of Thrones before Game of Thrones, set in a historical period.

Fantastic acting by the likes of Ian McShane and Rufus Sewell and Matthew Macfadyen.

I'll defnitely check this out.

Humdinger

This is coming August 17th. Damn. I had no idea.

I loved the book. It's one of the best novels I've ever read.

I don't see it translating very well into a videogame, but I'll give it a shot. I'm impressed that they're using this sort of source material, rather than the usual stuff.

Jag

Love Follet and LOVED Pillars. His Century Trilogy is good as well.

There was also a decent mini series I believe as well.

Stiler

I'm looking forward to this. I loved the mini-series from a few years back based on this and the game looks like it's turning out pretty good.

Also Daedalic has made some great adventure games (Deponia, The Whispered World, etc).

Lime

Daedelic really stepped up their visual art direction with the games they've released. While this isn't their most impressive one, I'm keeping an eye on it just in case.

Dyle

Impressive art, but how are they going to handle the epic scale of the books? It'll take 5 episodes just to get above ground level

thelastword

Banned
I think Follet has the best mini-series on TV...Loved pillars of the earth and World without end, but I'm not sure what I'm seeing in this game here will be as engaging or thrilling...

My advice Ken, get more of your novels into TV series, I will watch it.....absolutely.

Shiggy

The PC version already launched last week, two weeks before official release, as part of a computer magazine (those PC magazines that come with free games). Initial impressions describe it more as an interactive story than a classic adventure game, though people seem to like it in general.

First book (out of 3) takes about 5 hours.

CBS_Jack-Allena-teaser_1024x576_neu.jpg

The magazine costs 9.90 EUR, and you get the DRM-free version of book 1 on disc and on GOG. You also get books 2 and 3 at a discount (14.99 EUR). The magazine also had Deponia Doomsday at launch (magazine was 9.90 EUR, on Steam it launched at 29.90 EUR at the same time)

Auctopus

The book is a tome but I love the art-style they've gone with - no idea how an adaption will pan out in to gameplay.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture
gave me a POTE vibe at times.

Dmax3901

So I hate to bump this thread but I played the first Book which is out in a day or so and really enjoyed it! I'd start a review thread but figured there's 1) not enough reviews and 2) don't wanna break self-promotion rules sooo...

Check out my review?

Tizoc

So I hate to bump this thread but I played the first Book which is out in a day or so and really enjoyed it! I'd start a review thread but figured there's 1) not enough reviews and 2) don't wanna break self-promotion rules sooo...

Check out my review?
Ill make a thread later when i get back home
Thanks for the imprrssions

Humdinger

Bummer that Tom Builder doesn't appear to be a main character in the game. He's one of the main characters in the novel (probably the main character). I haven't seen him mentioned; it all seems to be all focused on Philip and Jack. Pity, because Tom is a great character. Hopefully he at least makes an appearance. You really can't tell the story without him.

Dmax3901

Bummer that Tom Builder doesn't appear to be a main character in the game. He's one of the main characters in the novel (probably the main character). I haven't seen him mentioned; it all seems to be all focused on Philip and Jack. Pity, because Tom is a great character. Hopefully he at least makes an appearance. You really can't tell the story without him.

He is certainly a main character, just not playable
unless you count the very brief prologue.

Humdinger

He is certainly a main character, just not playable
unless you count the very brief prologue.

Ah, okay, thanks. Not playable except for that spoilered bit, though. Hmm. That's a big change from the novel, where he was the principal protagonist for most of the first part.

Well, I guess with an 800+ page tome, you've got to trim the story. I'm just bummed they trimmed my second favorite character. Jack is my first, so I'm glad he's there.

wouwie

So is this available on PSN for anyone? Playstation blog EU said 16th but Daedalic said it would be up at 18:00 cet today... i guess it will be tomorrow then.

Good lord what a stupid post. The Pillars of the Earth is a fantastic novel.
Yeah, one of the rare, huge novels that fly by. And I'm not even interested with historical settings at all but this one was fascinating through and through. I loved the characters and the villain is probably one of the most punchable douche to ever be put into words. I should read this again.

Such an unexpected book series to adapt for a game haha. But actually it could be a great fit for an adventure series. I'll check it out around when the second part comes out.

Shin

Banned
Buying it, something about this game captured me.
Maybe it's the atmosphere or how clean everything looks.
The story seems very interesting, which is basically what it's about.

Top Bottom