• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Fallblox/Crashmo, a delightful test of spatial awareness

Or: LTTP as in "I keep returning to this to finish a hard puzzle and eventually finished it".

Launch trailer.

I've actually had Fallblox (Crashmo) since launch day. But I only just finished it this week, after almost five years of on-and-off play.

What a fantastic puzzle game! I completed 97/100 levels by the end. Skipped three stages in worlds 9 and 10. Coming from 2011's also excellent Pullblox, this complete rethink of the formula is still as refreshing to play with in 2017 than it was at launch five years ago.

For those who aren't in the know, Fallblox is a puzzle game about spatial awareness, and probably one of the best tests of that skill in the genre. Each level starts as a set of combined blocks of shapes in the centre of the playing area, and you can push or pull blocks around in hope that you create a path to rescuing an escaped flock of birds. There are ladders, manholes and 'cloud' blocks that defy gravity, and endless ways to manipulate them in 3D space...subject to the rules of gravity, of course.

large.jpg

24.png

crashmo2.png

What makes it stand out is how you can approach its puzzles: It never feels like there's this exact set of steps you have to follow to uncover them, rather you're encourages to think about the positioning of all your pieces in 3D space to eventually solve it, often by just playing with the blocks and moving them around.

I'm gutted that the reported Wii U sequel (Fallblox/Crashmo World?) was canned, as I always found Fallblox/Crashmo to be the cleverest in the series.

I hope it comes back on Switch or even 3DS one day, or that the smaller team within Intelligent Systems get to make another cool game like this. Directors Taku Sugioka and Misuzu Yoshida are long-time staffers at developer Intelligent Systems, working on the likes of Panel de Pon, WarioWare, and Mario Kart Super Circuit. Mr Sugioka was also credited as Fallblox's sole level designer - he did a fantastic job!

Fallblox was everything I wanted from a unique puzzle game concept: Its core concept is enthralling, its charming presentation is inviting, and its level design really makes you think. Its best levels make you feel like a genius.

I rarely finish level-based puzzle games, even over a long period of time, so I think I'll look back as fondly on this one on its tenth anniversary as I have been on its fifth.

-MB-

These were my respective GOTYs the years they released, including the WiiU one. Awwesome puzzle games full the to brim with clever ideas and puzzles. Spent ages doing user created puzzles as well.

Could be stumped for quite some time on a singular puzzle, and then come back to it after a sligth pause and easily find the solution to the extend of you wondering how you could have missed that. Something I only have had happen since with the BOXBOY! games.
Sometimes simplistic concepts are the best kind of gaming experiences.
Intelligent Systems at their very best in this instance.

SirNinja

Crashmo was easily the hardest of the three games IMO. Pushmo was challenging at times, but the most challenging Crashmo puzzles absolutely broke my brain.

maxcriden

I adore Pushmo World... I can't remember if I played Pushmo. Really dig what I've played of Stretchmo, too. But man, I just could not get Crashmo at all. I'd like to give it another shot and be able to properly comprehend how to play it.

Crashmo was easily the hardest of the three games IMO. Pushmo was challenging at times, but the most challenging Crashmo puzzles absolutely broke my brain.

The problem I have whenever I play Pushmo or even Stretchmo is I always end up mindless pulling out everything, then trying different combinations of blocks to pull until I get to the goal.

There's something about Crashmo that really makes you think when you're stumped.

Top Bottom