• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Debating whether to buy PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds... grrr

1 No servers with bots.
2 Buy it if you have people to play with. Its decent when you lone wolf. It really comes into its own when you are with a friend.

Archpath1

Buddy up with GAF discord for that sweet chicken dinner

The gameplay is right and can only improve, ofcourse it's early access so it runs wonky for some

Alastor3

i want to buy it too but my computer is old as crap and don't have a lot of RAM (4gb) for openworld are really difficult to play...

Reporting in on 30 minutes playtime solo: I did 3 games and died in all 3 of them.

1st game I had no idea what I was doing, parachuted down into some barn looking place and some guy already had a pistol and headshot me. Booted back to the main menu and was about to quit. Gave the game another chance...

2nd game I managed to collect some clothes and a loaded pistol, some dude was looting a house across the street that I entered into and surprise killed me. My own fault for being reckless...

3rd game, learning from my past mistakes, I went nearer to the outskirts to load up on supplies. Found a shotgun, a nice coat, lots of ammo and some medkits. Ran across a couple of fields when that weird blue circle began closing in so I ran inside the white circle on the map and noticed a player right off in the distance running away from me; seemingly away from someone? Saw him take cover behind a windmill, where I took to the hills and began sneaking up to him, but as I got close he moved further into the circle and up some grassy hill. I followed suite but lost him, then the next blue circle started to close, so I hurried forwards some more, looking out for this guy. I heard gunfire about 50 yards ahead amidst a bunch of rocks overlooking this huge ass lake, it was him, and he was trying to snipe someone. I snuck up to the rocks he was sitting on but he heard me. My heart was pounding like a motherfucker at this point lmao. I got my shotgun ready and decided to actually retreat and approach him from left (to his right), and sat behind this large rock that was between me and him, and I noticed he was moving his character around on the spot looking for me in all directions. After a deep breath, I jumped him and shotgun him in the face, and that was one of the most satisfying things I've done in an online game in a loooong time.

As I was looting his body, to which he had over a dozen of really good items, all these explosions started happening around me and I died in something called a 'red zone'. Decided to call it quits at this point.

The bad:
- Optimisation is awful, even worse than ARK, around 20 - 40 FPS with a mix of high/low
- Graphics are bad... blurry textures, pop in, clay-like character models
- Dying is too punishing, you shouldn't be booted back to the main menu after dying and having to sit through another 2+ minute load
- It isn't noob friendly, people know where all the good shit is and you'll die so easily
- Character customisation is extremely limited

The good:
- This game is TENSE, especially when it gets to around ~50 players
- Encountering other players is an adrenaline rush like never before
- Interior textures are good
- Lots of weapons, clothing etc
- It's super satisfying killing another player
- Can rebind keys

So yeah, that's my 30 min solo experience.

I will be keeping the game because I enjoyed it more than I didn't, but yeah as I see, the game would be alot better with friends. I really suck at this game and I'm learning as I go, I can definitely see why this game is addicting, you get rewarded even for "losing".

But eh... £27... I ain't sure about that price point...

Velikost

Outside of the optimization point, I don't really see any of those as bad, aside from pop in. You should be playing with everything besides draw distance on the lowest setting anyways

It's fun, it's like a better running Arma 3 mod. But I'd honestly just wait. It'll get more Co tent soon and will be in a much better state. Game won't be packing for players for a very long time anyways so there's no rush.

I played it for a few weeks and put it aside for Siege. I'll wait for PUBG to get more content and have more options.

muu

Looks fun, why not give it a shot?

I haven't pulled the trigger but that's because I can't seem to get a solid block of time for games anymore. Finally get some quiet time and I get nagged on while I do a Clash Royale match (3 minutes).

Sane_Man

It's okay. I prefer watching people play it than actually playing myself though. You have to put up with so much frustration to improve at the game because there's no good way of practicing.

90% of my games are: land, run around collecting loot for 10 mins, realise the circle is miles away, panic, run, run, blue circle starts eating me, drink a red bull, run, finally make it into the white circle, heal up, walk 5 yards, shot dead by someone who can actually aim.

oti

Banned
Buy it, play it for 90ish minutes, Steam Refund it if you don't like it

No amount of anyone telling you anything is going to do more to convince you if you will like the game than actually playing it.

Perfect response. That's what I did. Refunded it after a couple of matches.

SlickVic

I played last night for the first time on my very underpowered system with an 860m, ready to hit refund if the performance was bad. 2 hours later I think I'm keeping it. Granted the game doesn't perform great, but it's playable for me. I put it on mostly low settings with 900p 100% scale (very low settings just look awful) and hitting ~30-35 FPS with some occasional stutters/drops.

I feel the first couple matches or so I was messing around with finding good settings to play the game on so I didn't fully get into the game. Afterwards though it was very easy to see the appeal of the game. There's a certain amount of randomness that makes each match feel different, from the different route the plane takes over the map, to where the "circle" will ultimately force you to go. It's also interesting given the large size of the map, it's very possible to not run into anyone till the circle really constricts the map (all the while hearing gunshots in the distance and seeing the 'alive' count drop. Or you may spawn in a busy spot on the map and die in the first minute being punched to death.

The game feels tense in a good way. And I think the way the game accomplishes that is you constantly switch from being the predator or prey. There are times I'm holed up in a house on the map, low on health, and I know someone is outside looking for me. If I go outside I'm dead, but if I lure them up to the second floor of the house, maybe I can get a lucky shot off with a shotgun and loot them for weapons and healing items. Then after I'm all healed and armed up, I may be playing more aggressively for the rest of the match.

It's a fascinating dynamic that can change back and forth through the course of a single match. I'm sure it can be a lot of fun playing with people you know, but I'm having a good time with solo for now.

Tagyhag

- Dying is too punishing, you shouldn't be booted back to the main menu after dying and having to sit through another 2+ minute load

Disagree, if you put in respawns it would kill the entire point of the game. And it would open a whole can of worms like "Would you respawn with or without weapons? On the plane again? While already knowing where the circle is?"

As it stands, it's also one of the fastest ones to have you start the game up again.

SomTervo

I'm sure it's a blast with friends, but I tried a few matches solo yesterday and it wasn't at all for me. I'm glad I tried it on a friend's account first before I spent my own money.

It was basically me scavenging for equipment for ten minutes before getting lit up by the first person I encounter. This happened four times in a row.

If you're looking for PvE, this isn't the game for you. Check out Wildlands instead

Not sure about this advice.

Solo is good to play.

Yes, you can have a run of abortive matches where you die quickly or find bad gear. But when you finally make it to the top 20? The top 10? The top 5?

One of the most amazing gameplay experiences ever imo.

FriedChickenDinner.png

Get it.
the taste of sweet sweet victory

Despera

Banned
Buy it, play it for 90ish minutes, Steam Refund it if you don't like it

No amount of anyone telling you anything is going to do more to convince you if you will like the game than actually playing it.
OP really doesn't need to read any post after this one. Well said.

Akronis

snip
The bad:
- Optimisation is awful, even worse than ARK, around 20 - 40 FPS with a mix of high/low
snip.

Calling bullshit on this. No game is more unoptimized than ARK. I reach well over 90+ FPS with Battlegrounds and I struggle to even get close to 60 with ARK.

Zaru

Yes, you can have a run of abortive matches where you die quickly or find bad gear. But when you finally make it to the top 20? The top 10? The top 5?

Just made it to being #4 for the first time, the game lead us to a showdown in the northeastern ruins.
Those tense final moments were definitely the highlight of the 4-something hours I've put into it.

The game is still rough, but its flaws don't change anything about how it plays.

120v

i'm not a fan of the genre and somebody who's very miserly about spending over $20 on a game i'm the slightest iffy about... but i feel this game's an amazing value at it's asking price, it's a no brainer.

naib

I love FPS/TPS especially ones that involve strategy/teamwork, slow and methodical with a sense of survivalism and realism as opposed to those fast-paced in-and-outers like DOOM and Wolfenstein. For example I like the ARMA and SWAT games, as well as the old Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games.

Will I like this game?

I've watched a few videos, it honestly seems like DayZ done right just without the broken zombies, and it looks alright... nothing especially that stands out that screams MUST BUY, but on the other hand, it fulfils the criteria I'm looking for.

But the reason I'm asking is because I very rarely play online/MP games anymore and I'm aware this game is online-only, but are there any servers with bots or able to host a private server? Or maybe even some kind of training mode? I'm not sure £27 is worth the asking price...

Disclaimer: haven't played duo or squad yet.

I never really got much into ARMA outside of playing very casually with some of the mods, but I played the shit out of GR and RB6 with a pretty consistent crew for awhile.
Life kinda makes that hard to maintain nowadays but I still play some twitchy shooters that have pretty low time/social commitment(the way I enjoy them).

I finally bit the bullet a week or so ago and don't regret a thing. You can commit as little or much as you want to it and still have a good time.

You can have a 5 minute game or a 35 minute game. If you have to go change a diaper or pacify someone you can hide in a bush and hope for the best.
No one's gonna be mad if they spot you for a free kill or you die outside the ring, and half the time you'll still be alive. If not, you're at the lobby and you go again.

The only other 'tactical' shooters I sometimes play online are Day of Infamy, Seige and CS:GO. All very casually.
Still, I think PUBG is surprisingly more accessible than them all.

Quick addendum:
It's not GR outside and SWAT CQC inside. It has it's share of jank. But it's very fun, and very satisfying.
I personally enjoy 1st person more but both are fun.

Shin

Banned
Could have just asked in one of the many PUBG threads, there are like 10 or so.
But as others have said try it on Steam for couple of minutes and refund it if you don't like it.

cripterion

Game was fun at first but it's already getting stale for me. And yeah I know it's early access... but that doesn't excuse everything.
Industry needs to get its shit together and pump up decent games. It's amazing that the hottest thing right now is an EA game.

Trace

Banned
Will I get wiped by partnered players if I'd rather queue up solo?

There is a solo queue, duo queue, and squad (up to 4) queue. As a solo player you can queue into any of them and you'll get matched with a random team if isn't solo queue. Or you could turn the auto matchmaking off and just queue solo.

It's thirty bucks, and steam has a refund system, come on.

It'll get your heart beating in a way you didn't think was possible from games.

Mooreberg

I bought it three weeks ago. I'd recommend waiting for more patches. Too many performance problems and network lag messages for a game that has raked in so much money. Fortunately, paid keys for crates were a priority!

The game is a drug. It can be a real drag and super unfulfilling a good portion of the time. But NOTHING gives you the high that getting the final kill for a win does. You'll want friends to play it with, tho.

BashNasty

I bought it, played it for about 90 minutes, and hated it. The game is far, far too janky for me.

If you're the type of person who is ok with a lot of jank (there seems to be a ton of people like this, which befuddles me) then you'll probably enjoy Battlegrounds, if you're not, you'll hate it, like me.

I understand the appeal of the concept of this game, but holy fucking shit the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I have absolutely no idea how a game that plays this poorly is this popular.

Sentenza

I bought it, played it for about 90 minutes, and hated it. The game is far, far too janky for me.

If you're the type of person who is ok with a lot of jank (there seems to be a ton of people like this, which befuddles me) then you'll probably enjoy Battlegrounds, if you're not, you'll hate it, like me.

I understand the appeal of the concept of this game, but holy fucking shit the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I have absolutely no idea how a game that plays this poorly is this popular.

I honestly don't see it. In fact I have no idea of what the hell you are even referring to.
The only major "junk" in the game (occasional bugs aside, which I can't say I'm experiencing any) is the lack of vaulting/climbing... And that's going to be addressed really, really soon.

If anything, given the premise of this production (derived by a mod, designed by a modder, small studio working on it, etc) I found the general production value far above what I was anticipating.
And mechanically the game is incredibly sound.

What jank are you talking about?

xealo

If you've people to play with go for it, if not don't.

You will often find yourself at a disadvantage as a solo player in these kinds of games.

kiaaa

What jank are you talking about?

Well the melee is completely garbage and the initial server lag is pretty bad, but that's the only really obvious jank. Other stuff like damage bugs and random hitching just needs to be ironed out but I wouldn't call that jank.

Sentenza

Well the melee is completely garbage
Ah, yes. The melee. Such an important component of the game.
In contrast with all the other shooters around, that typically can boast such a well developed melee component.

I mean, it's basic, sure. But how would you significantly improve it?
And what's so remarkably terrible about it compared to the average of the genre?

In general, I find that the game is constantly outdoing my expectations when it comes to animations and detail on the map.
Everything I've heard about it before the purchase (who designed it, where did it originate from, who developed it) made me imagine a far more rough and cheap looking experience.

And they are nowhere near done improving it, if we have to believe recent announcements.

Top Bottom