• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It begins? Sony patents that break-apart controller

MisterHero

looks complicated

2u89uv5.jpg

Forsete

Threi said:
Why not quit early then?

Get a headstart on your new hobby :)

No, PS3 is a splendid system. I will enjoy it to the fullest extent. If PS4 turns out to be some waggle shit I will just concentrate on my other interests (computers, movies etc). Not so bad actually, maybe then I can get that lens I want. :D

Threi

notag
Well i guess thats win/win for everyone then. People who dislike it can do something else and those that do can explore creative new ideas without it being dismissed as "waggle shit" constantly until they are discouraged to do so and delve back into the "safe traditional" route of development. The industry can actually have a chance of regrowth :D

Acosta

Ploid 3.0 said:
But they waited for PS3 for it already. Actually they did make attempts at it on PS2 although that demo wasn't made into a product (were the swords and such put out on eyetoy?).

If they don't actually "force" it as the standard controller it will end being a gimmick with little or no support, so if they want to do something with it, it should be included with the console.

herod

Threi said:
Well i guess thats win/win for everyone then. People who dislike it can do something else and those that do can explore creative new ideas without it being dismissed as "waggle shit" constantly until they are discouraged to do so and delve back into the "safe traditional" route of development. The industry can actually have a chance of regrowth :D

let's hope so, I've always wanted the PC to dominate again.

Threi

notag
herod said:
let's hope so, I've always wanted the PC to dominate again.
Me too actually.

This gen has bugged me in that the elitist gamers refuse to put down money on top-of-the-line gaming experiences, but still claim to be top-of-the-line enthusiasts.

If you are gunna act elitist have the $2000 rig to back it up. :D

I have used different ultrasound distance meters and they were all horribly inaccurate. They also don't work in noisy environments. I've since switched to laser distance meters and they work fantastically, but at about 10x the cost. I just don't see ultrasound working very well for gaming even if combined with other inputs.

Burai

shitonmychest57
herod said:
Looks like I picked a good time to go PC.

Yeah, It's a good job that the PC is immune to stupid game control methods. What's next Sony? A game controller with 100+ buttons that was originally designed to word process with?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Burai said:
Yeah, It's a good job that the PC is immune to stupid game control methods. What's next Sony? A game controller with 100+ buttons that was originally designed to word process with?

that..sounds...incredible.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Potentially...if they released it as a peripheral, it could blunt the impact of a as-standard improved PS4 iteration.

yeah, this basically - if they release it and it doesn't do to expectation then they might not look at new control ideas/schemes. I don't want Three Wii's next gen, but i do want Sony to step up with some new ideas.

they had something like the two part controller at the Sony Expo in Odaiba, it was a bit more basic than this (and was linked to Ps2's) but there were some interesting (if badly executed) demos on show.

I'd prefer they just left it for now - it would also encourage better support to bundle it with a new machine. if EVERYONE has one packed in then -everyone- has access to one, no need to go out and buy one, etc. Your target audience is everyone with a machine rather than everyone who went out and bought another add on - that's a huge difference right there.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gofreak said:
Potentially...if they released it as a peripheral, it could blunt the impact of a as-standard improved PS4 iteration.

Imagine if the Wii controller had been released initially as a Gamecube peripheral with limited support and such..would Wii have gone on to cause as much buzz? I'm guessing probably not, the impact of it would have been diluted by it's soft launch on GC.
The first-time impact of introducing motion-sensing to the home console market is gone. This is a post-Wii scenario and as such only becomes a refinement of what's already been introduced. And it certainly didn't do much for the impact of the Sixaxis motion-sensing capabilities to to launch with a new platform.

This is also a post-Guitar Hero/Rock Band world where gamers have shown they're quite willing to buy expensive peripherals that ultimately work with only a very limited set of games, midstream in a platform life cycle. The introduction of the original DualShock is almost a classic example by now of a successful mid-generation launch of a new peripheral. Would you say the buzz around the PS2 was blunted by the fact that it only had an improved version of the DS packed in? Even Eyetoy did rather well for itself when it was first introduced.

Mid-generation launch of a peripheral isn't really a source of concern by itself. It's always going to be about whether you've got a compelling use case that can be readily complemented with compelling content. That's what is going to dictate when you can launch, not whether you can pack it in with every console unit.

TAJ said:
OK, only two before me.
what? this patent application is put after Nintendo's patent applications. for it to pass it cannot use the stuff Nintendo patented. there are other motion controller patents out there. this is the first one i've seen using sonar which seems an unusual way of doing things.

i'm not calling Sony copycats, i'm correctly pointing out that they have to work around other people's patents... and as i said, if this works well, GOOD. i like wii controls, i'd love to see them being used by the 360 or PS3 as an option.

n1n9tean

Banned
OMG This is fanomenal!!!!!!!!!!

PS3 coming back for the crown! I knew they had some good surprizes!

Oh shit I can't wait! SONAR!

NOTHING can be better than this.

herod

Burai said:

yep, and waggle failed to topple that.

one day these console manufacturers will learn that perfection has already been achieved.

Nafai1123

Banned
Cool tech, horrible design. Make it connect together to work like a DS, package it AND the PSeye along with every PS4 released and give 3rd parties development kits WAY before release and it mightwork. If not, GTFO!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Even Eyetoy did rather well for itself when it was first introduced.

and despite its success , how many titles supported it?

10? 20?

i'm not denying you can sell an add on mid launch, but for something that you'd hope would move your platform potentially in a different direction, i'd have thought you'd needed a much wider catchment. And that catchment would/could/should ensure more ideas and software that support the new peripheral.

I'm not sure the ps2 DS is a good example, it's fundamentally the same controller, it was supported by -every- game by default on the basic level.

herod

the only possible upside I can see for Sony is if third parties up-port their Wii stuff, and cross-platform Wii/PS3 releases.

realistically, I wouldn't mind a game controller that can do proper motion controls instead of the imprecise Wii (let's wait and see how Motion+ helps it), but this looks like crap. I think they should try to do more face tracking stuff using the PS eye, or even break out that other patent a while back of a controller than goes in the palm of your hand and fits like the underpart of a glove.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Really curious to see the actual design of this. I notice the sticks are placed simmetrically in the faceplate used to link the two parts together.

But I have no idea how a faceplate that thin can host all the required innards. Unless they plan to use the PSP stick. Which would suck tremendously.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
Really curious to see the actual design of this. I notice the sticks are placed simmetrically in the faceplate used to link the two parts together.

SCEJ have a couple of patents from last year that have more...stylish..controller designs. Of course, they're not in any way related to this, but still interesting I guess. One looks like a ipod nano stick or something, the other is a circular controller to fit in the palm of your hand.

xbhaskarx

Count Dookkake said:
That is pretty funny, but not as funny as the people who promised to quit gaming if waggle won.

If every console has waggle next generation...... goddamnit they probably will.

stuburns said:
Looks cool. I remember an NDA slip up from over a year ago where someone discussed this in great length.
Looks cool, but I hope that what ever it is designed for ( ps3 or ps4) Doesnt Take on a Wii LIke focus.

herod said:
Looks like I picked a good time to go PC.

If waggle is the only option in the next generation, I'm definitely going PC.

I don't say that in a bitter baby temper tantram kind of way; I simply want to have a traditional option. A lot of the time, I'd rather just hit a button to make a character jump than wiggle a controller from side-to-side.

Also, look at the size of the balls on that controller!!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
and despite its success , how many titles supported it?

10? 20?
Somewhere around there, at most. Which is still more games than support the plastic faux guitars that people are buying readily to play a glorified version of Frequency/Amplitude. So it's not a matter of quantity, it's a matter of the quality and the consistency of the support.

i'm not denying you can sell an add on mid launch, but for something that you'd hope would move your platform potentially in a different direction, i'd have thought you'd needed a much wider catchment. And that catchment would/could/should ensure more ideas and software that support the new peripheral.
But it's not a different direction, it's a direction they've been exploring and expanding into for two generations now. First with the Eyetoy, now with the Sixaxis. Waiting for the PS4 to launch the DualCock would still just be a progression along the same path they've been following, not a new direction.

I'm not sure the ps2 DS is a good example, it's fundamentally the same controller, it was supported by -every- game by default on the basic level.
Based on this patent this appears to be fundamentally the same controller as the DS3. All the existing control schemes are there, so it too would be supported by every game by default on the basic level.

beef3483

I'll buy it, if it works good and with enough games. Bring on more motion controls!

And the people making fun of this remind me of the people making fun of the Wiimote when it was first unveiled, "LOL. It looks like a remote control! That will never sell."

LAMBO

Imagine how flimsy a controller that you have to assesble from multiple plastic parts would feel in your hand, all those little plastic clips ready to break, i can almost hear them snapping now.

Burai

shitonmychest57
herod said:
yep, and waggle failed to topple that.

one day these console manufacturers will learn that perfection has already been achieved.

Yeah, I bet Nintendo are fucking kicking themselves.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
For reference, here are some pics from two japanese SCE patents from last year. They're NOT related to this patent, but they are an insight into some of the stuff they work on, I guess.

First one (no idea what it's application is exactly):

5wfk7b.jpg

Second one:

9gd085.jpg

2rdapo6.jpg

This one's kind of interesting..looks like it has 4 buttons on one side, and thumb tracker for analog motion on the other, and two triggers on the side. It has other functionality, but I can't read the patent text. This kind of design could be interesting as a design for the one-handed controller in the OP - could incorporate the LED array so that the whole controller glows as a sphere etc. - although it would trade some functionality for simplicity (chiefly that you can't have two thumb trackers and a set of buttons available all at once..it's either two thumb trackers or two sets of buttons or one of each at any one time)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
A sound wave detection? That seems like it would be a battery drain.

But it's just a patent so we really shouldn't assume anything, of course they're looking into motion controller ideas. By the time they get onto it though we'll have moved on, Nintendo included.

Top Bottom