• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3rd party console demos at Gamescom seem to be running on devkits

Proelite

That was MICROSOFT THEMSELVES (first party) running Xbone games on PC.

This is THIRD PARTY running PS4 games on PC, like it's always at events.

I really don't know what the hell is going on and why was this tweeted like something important.

Only for Lococycle, a cross platform game. Ryse, KI, Forza were all running on Xbox One Kits.

There was a shit storm about BF4 and lococycle running on PCs.

There's no guarantee of those DS4 drivers being available to regular joes like you and me, though...

I really hope they are, of course, but I'm not holding my breath. It could be like PS3 where there wasn't any good support for a couple of years.

As far as I'm concerned, there still isn't good support. =[.

I want native DS4 support. Touchpad include. O lawd. Yiss.

Draft

That means Everyone's Gone to the Rapture was running on PCs. Wow, could their statements on why the game's PS4 exclusive have been any more full of shit? My goodness.

Kinan

lol, what the hell about this generalization in the title. There are plenty of PS4 on Gamescom, more than you can count. As in real PS4s, you can see them, real PS4 cameras. Everything in and around of Sony booth is real retail-like PS4s. War Thunder booth nearby is probably the easiest way to get to play on PS4 at Gamescom.

Third partys do whatever they want though, so I can imaging there can be everything from devkits to PCs behind a wall.

FeiRR

Banned
Devkits are now still expensive (I'd bet several thousand apiece or even more) and quite scarce. Do you think most companies can afford to carry them around to shows full of people where they can overheat, break or maybe even get stolen?

Have Sony or Microsoft released TEST units yet? Those are usually used by the press and at fairs to run non-retail code.

REV 09

I think you mean running on PC.

It would be great, from the point of view of gauging PS4 versions, if they were actually running on PS4 kits.

I don't think ANYONE expects games to be running on regular retail hardware at this point, obviously.

then why all the hoopla over pc's being used at e3?

evolution

lol, what the hell about this generalization in the title. There are plenty of PS4 on Gamescom, more than you can count. As in real PS4s, you can see them, real PS4 cameras. Everything in and around of Sony booth is real retail-like PS4s. War Thunder booth nearby is probably the easiest way to get to play on PS4 at Gamescom.

Third partys do whatever they want though, so I can imaging there can be everything from devkits to PCs behind a wall.

Good to hear, didnt think they would have retail-like units ready

It has been known since E3, but there is no word on if the drivers will be publicly available.

Well I'd prefer to avoid another workaround like with the PS3 controller. Just make the damn drivers available, Sony! It is VERY easy to use a 360 controller, why is the same not true for the PS3 controller?!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
then why all the hoopla over pc's being used at e3?

I think it's fair to ask why a game is running on a PC and not a dev kit. Don't think it's fair to ask, at this stage, why a game isn't being run in a retail unit.

Personally I think there's perfectly valid reasons why third parties would use PCs at this stage rather than dev kits - namely they need the dev kits to be back in the studios where teams are crunching like crazy to meet launch deadlines.

Orayn

I think the bigger news is that this definitively answers the question posed in this thread (http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=657617) as to which version of Need for Speed is going to be the best looking. Why would EA be showing their game off on PS4 if it looked worse than the Xbone edition?

It could be also be that PC is the lead platform and they're just running that version with res/framerate/settings roughly in line with what they're aiming for on consoles.

Thread title is misleading since 3rd part devs for both platforms are using Dev kits and first party devs are not. This isn't just the PS4 doing this but I guess its more exciting this way for some.

Curufinwe

I think it's fair to ask why a game is running on a PC and not a dev kit. Don't think it's fair to ask, at this stage, why a game isn't being run in a retail unit.

Personally I think there's perfectly valid reasons why third parties would use PCs at this stage rather than dev kits - namely they need the dev kits to be back in the studios where teams are crunching like crazy to meet launch deadlines.

Especially for games that will also be on PC like NFS.

Deriok

Banned
The only thing we can get out of this, is that the comparison on the gamescom floor between PS4 and Xbox One is flawed as Microsoft were using actual Xbox Ones on their floor. No wonder PS4 looked more polished.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
if you're willing to pretend that 4k screenshots are representative of the end user console experience, using a PC to iron out the hiccups in your build seems like a natural fit.

We will see this for most of the gen watch.

Devs using ultra high end pcs to make their games look fantastic and sell their product.

Final product full of jaggies, bad iq and lower textures.

Few will complain as they are filled with hype and already sold on said games.

LQX

Will be interesting to see if the outrage reaches the level it was when this happened with the XB1....HAHAHA, who am I kidding.

jayu26

The only thing we can get out of this, is that the comparison on the gamescom floor between PS4 and Xbox One is flawed as Microsoft were using actual Xbox Ones on their floor. No wonder PS4 looked more polished.

tumblr_m98nw2LG1v1rev29ao1_500.gif

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

Sony were using PS4 units also.

redfirm

Banned
I CAN CONFIRM 100% that the units at the playstation stand( sony's own ) are all running on actual ps4 consoles. all Third party publishers are using pc's to demonstrate their game.

to proof to you that i've been there. (the controller is connected directly to the ps4 btw)
Vx12sUA.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

..?

What multiplat game did anyone say looked 'more polished' on PS4? I don't think there's a single third party game on the gamescom showfloor that is (ostensibly) being demoed on both systems?

If you mean first party titles, Sony's own games - and maybe all games? - at their own booth are supposedly running on PS4 hardware (be it PS4 kits or test units).

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Will be interesting to see if the outrage reaches the level it was when this happened with the XB1....HAHAHA, who am I kidding.

The hypocrisy and double standards are staggering, thank god I have a life outside of Neogaf

Valnen

Looks like a confirmation that Dual Shock 4 controllers will work on PC.

Eh. Just proves drivers exist. Whether those will be made public or not...

I would kill for native DS4 support on PC games with the Playstation button UI though. One of the only PC games I can think of that has the PS button UI built in natively is FFXIV:ARR.

Joni

Need for Speed Rivals had Xbox 360 controller prompts in their BHC demo. It was just the PC version with Dualshock 4 controllers.

djshauny

Banned
Why is everyone Defending Sony?

If this was a Xbone game, at an EA booth or not, then you lot would be going crazy about it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I CAN CONFIRM 100% that the units at the playstation stand( sony's own ) are all running on actual ps4 consoles. all Third party publishers are using pc's to demonstrate their game.

to proof to you that i've been there. (the controller is connected directly to the ps4 btw)
2013_08_21_12_13_37.jpg

Not working

nib95

Banned
Why is everyone Defending Sony?

If this was a Xbone game, at an EA booth or not, then you lot would be going crazy about it.

I think because Sony's own first party titles are running on actual PS4's. It's a shame third party stuff isn't, but based on the first party games, everything is looking mighty good. Still frustrating though. I'm verrryyy cautious about the third party stuff right now. Keep hearing conflicting reports.

redfirm

Banned
Thanks!

On another note, it seems EA are using actual Xbox Ones though:

2013-08-21T131156Z_921655877_BM2E98L13VZ01_RTRMADP_3_CONSOLES-GAMESCOM.JPG

nop, thats the xbox stand. xbox's own stand with third party game, that stand us using REAL xbox ones. all other stands use pc's.

so to clarify.

BOTH xbox and sony use real consoles at their OWN stands.all other stands use PC'S. the reason for this is because both party's want to use the units for shipping to retail instead of demoboots of third party publishers

Top Bottom