• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Turns 20 Today. Let's celebrate the greatest series on earth

Triple Dash

Neo Member
Happy 20th Digimon. Being a Pokemon fan, especially as it started to become "un-cool" as I reached my pre-teen years, I always thought was a guilty pleasure watching it on TV, but it really does hold up well after all these years.

Tamers is by far my most favorite. Adventures is something I'd love to re-watch one day with my kids. Also I will take Our War Game over Summer Wars any day of the week.

Couldn't get into 02 that much. It's good, but the plotholes, new characters, and heavier villain of the day based episodes really killed my interest. Frontier I don't think has aged well, but it's still worth a watch. Tri I'm still hyped for, but the plot gives me the feeling that the ending will be bad like a rushed manga and only add more plotholes.

kiguel182

Digivices where the best. I completed the one from season two and had a season 4 one. We all had one and spent tons of times playing with it. I was always jealous of the ones that you could swipe a card. Good times.

ash_ag

I want a digital version of the V-Pets. Not necessarily the originals, though those would be cool too, but something like a new "mainline" V-Pet entry executed as a phone app. It would work very well, especially considering Cookie Clicker-esque games like Tap Titans, Adventure Capitalist and Magikarp Jump are trending lately.

I want a digital version of the V-Pets. Not necessarily the originals, though those would be cool too, but something like a new "mainline" V-Pet entry executed as a phone app. It would work very well, especially considering Cookie Clicker-esque games like Tap Titans, Adventure Capitalist and Magikarp Jump are trending lately.
Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't done a V-pet app yet. It seems like an obvious idea.

Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't done a V-pet app yet. It seems like an obvious idea.

Well, technically, all of the apps are already V-pets. ;P

MYNvrDr.gif

Kalentan

Happy birthday Digimon. You had me ranting about Tai vs Matt for years when I was younger.

Dude new digimon sucks:/

I feel like the series sort of just... Stopped caring after Season 5. Like once Season 5 finished (which was good), they were just like: "Eh, who gives a shit" and started to make series with just horrible designs one after another.

I feel like the series sort of just... Stopped caring after Season 5. Like once Season 5 finished (which was good), they were just like: "Eh, who gives a shit" and started to make series with just horrible designs one after another.

It was more, how can we capture the attention of the younger audience now that the older audience is all grown up.

Series 1 and 3 were very good.
Series 2 had a few good episodes when Daemon invaded.
rest I could take or leave
This is correct.

Frontier has some good episodes too but that season is really tough to recommend. It just takes a really long time to get going unfortunately plus turning digimon partners into Super Sentai armor was a really dumb choice.

Savers is great. I think it falls a little short of Tamers, but it's my second favorite season.

Frontier actually holds up better now than back in 2002, I feel. Visually it's second only to Tamers (the art direction in Tamers/Frontier is just mindblowing), and pretty much the whole run from around 20-36 is just top tier stuff. The Royal Knights episodes drag things down somewhat, but the highs of Frontier are really impressive.

Nategc20

Banned
First 2 seasons was better then anything pokemon could ever threw at me. Watching this show on fox kids and ABC Family was definitely a childhood staple. Absolutely loved it.

Blues1990

Its good if you've watched Adventures and 02 and want a continuation of it. The plot is pretty bad but the action somewhat makes up for it.

It's worth watching at least once. Part 3 is the only one without massive pacing issues but they're still watchable.

Have all the movies been released? I heard a lot of discussion about a time paradox of some sort, so I don't want to start watching the movies and get into it, only to be left hanging and be waiting for a proper conclusion.

Linkark07

Banned
Sadly, I couldn't watch Adventure and 2 when they were released. If memory serves me well, only Fox Kids aired them, but we changed cable provider and the new one didn't have Fox Kids until two or three years later.

Anyways, first Digimon I watched was the Movie, and boy, I didn't understand anything. At least managed to catch up when our cable provider added Fox Kids. Like almost all Latin American dubs at that time, they kept up the Japanese Soundtracks but used the dubbed name of the characters. And I loved them. Especially the Digivolution music. Brave Heart and Break Up have a special place in my heart.

As for Tamers, I didn't like it too much. Takato and Guilmon were too stupid for me as main characters. Especially Takato. But the music is awesome too. Slash and EVO are top tier. Frontier, I liked it, but it was quite forgettable. Same with the soundtrack, sadly.

And after that, I didn't watch Digimon until TOEI released Adventure Tri. I know it is quite polarizing, but I like it.

Fireblend

Banned
Reading through this now I'm tempted to watch that new series. Is it decent? I loved the original, 2 and Frontier. Tamers was alright but I thought it was a bit too edgy for my tastes :p

I've also heard that PS4 RPG is great.

Reading through this now I'm tempted to watch that new series. Is it decent? I loved the original, 2 and Frontier. Tamers was alright but I thought it was a bit too edgy for my tastes :p

It's enjoyable. There are stretches where it goes monster of the week for extended amounts of time, but the core characters are all really enjoyable characters, and the story is currently getting pretty good.

Toad.T

Banned
Biggest blue balls for me as a kid was the dark undersea master in 02 that wasn't followed up on. Come on, how cool would DigimonXLovecraft be?

sinonobu

Banned
Still haven't got a chance to watch the Digimon show? Is it any good?

And happy 20th anniversary to the franchise! Has alwaus been the best show since childhood.

Biggest blue balls for me as a kid was the dark undersea master in 02 that wasn't followed up on. Come on, how cool would DigimonXLovecraft be?

Did you not watch Tamers? That was pretty much the enterirty of it's third arc lol.

But yeah 02 dropped the ball on a lot of things. First was Dracomon whom they had been hinting at since episode 13 and never did anything with, then with Daemon who came out of nowhere with a posse of evil Digimon then he gets dropped as well. And then they decided to bring back Myotismon from fucking season 1 as the final villain despite having 2 perfectly good ones that they could've used instead.

Savers is great. I think it falls a little short of Tamers, but it's my second favorite season.
It has some very good aspects but the total package didn't resonate with me at all. The change in art direction knocks it down several notches for me.

I also didn't watch it until last year so maybe that has to do with my lukewarm views of it.

Appmon seems to be hit or miss with people. It tends to lean on the comedic side and for stretches of time it loses the plot, but when it finds its footing it's good to great. The characters are likeable, the main Appmon have their own personalities that compliment their partner, and some of the "monster of the week" plots can get creative, if sometimes ridiculous. I will also commit blasphemy and say ditching the old Digimon in favor of new, consistent designs was a good idea.

"Irregular" seasons like Frontier, Xros Wars, and Appmon have an uphill battle with older fans, which is too bad. They all have aspects that they do well.

Man I loved Digimon both as a kid and as an adult.

Adventure - A great start with a lot of likeable characters, the introduction to the partner dynamic made the digimon so interesting and loveable. I thought it went on to long overall with hit and miss arcs (Miss: Etamon, Parts of the Dark masters) but it had some great moments (Angemon, MagnaAngemon, Warp Digivolution, the real world arc, ect) throughout.

02 - As a kid I enjoyed it because it was more Digimon, when I rewatched it later... It's absolutely terrible. Ken's character arc is good but everyone else is awful, the new kids have some really bad designs and so many things just don't make any sense. I remember even as a kid being extremely bothered and confused by Gatomon getting powered down despite being a Champion because of her tail ring and the armor evolutions I never understood where exactly they were on the 'power' level that the original series had developed (Mega>Ultimate>Champion>Rookie) it really just didn't work very well. Then the god awful ending was just so bad all around completely ruining various character development within the original series and 02. It has some pretty good moments (TK vs. Evil Ken is amazing, the Dark Ocean plotline was super interesting just never went anywhere) but overall its just not very good.

Tamers - Tamers is the best. It made the partner dynamic much more interesting with the human partners actually being able to do something besides cheering on the monsters and it evolved the idea into the mega forms being a merged form of human and digimon together. It also helped to have a much smaller main cast with just the Trio for a majority of the show and instead of them all being friends like the previous two seasons they start off as completely different people who really have to come together as a team. Rika is headstrong and only thinks about winning and sees all the other Digimon as enemies, Henry doesn't want to fight and just wants to be friends with Terriermon which causes conflict with his partner who does want to fight, and Takato who starts off as innocent and wide eyed as Guilmon is but quickly learns how overwhelming the responsibility he now has is and largely has to grow up rather quickly. Takato is the one who really brings the team together too.

Another thing that Tamers does extremely well throughout the first half is making Digivolution feel EARNED. In the first two seasons it was just a natural order of things, the kids get in trouble, the digimon grow stronger and beat the enemy and win the day but in Tamers it takes a lot longer for each Digimon to reach their champion form. Interestingly Terriermon can Digivolve right away but because Henry is afraid of it and he doesn't want to fight he can't control Terrriermon properly when he does evolve its actually showing evolution in a completely different way. It's not like Skull Graymon being an evil Evolution like in Adventure but it shows that a Tamers lack of resolve and experience can lead to a Digimon that they cannot completely control which is extremely dangerous. Rika on the other hand despite having a ton of experience and control over Renamon can't make her evolve because Rika doesn't care about Renamon like previous partners just kinda automatically did in the first two series. Rika even blames Renamon for the problem constantly despite not recognizing that she herself is largely the problem, it makes for a great character arc early on and certainly the most well developed character of the series. Takato despite being the main protagonist actually sees his partner evolve last because he starts off being a tamer much later then Henry or Rika and whats interesting is that when Guilmon evolves Takato is honestly quite scared, despite Growlmon being the same innocent and lovable dino/dragon thing he was, Growlmon is much much larger and rather viscous looking.

The second half of Tamers isn't as good as the first but its still really good overall. The Digimon World just doesn't feel as interesting or exciting as in any other season and really just feels like a place the kids had to go to progress the plot but they never find anything new or creative to do with it outside of the plot itself. That said this is where the plot starts to get pretty dark (although throughout this point the overall series of Tamers has been much darker and realistic compared to the first two series) with Impmon getting to finally evolve into his Mega form but at the cost of having to kill the kids who have done nothing but try and be friends with him leading to the 'big' moment where he kills Jeri's partner Leomon and unlike previous seasons... Leomon isn't coming back. This sets off the rest of the arc with the D-Reaper becoming the most interesting villain of the series (although not as well developed as I think it could have been IMO) largely by abducting Jeri who is in a depressed/suicidal state throughout most of this final arc, this also kicks of the Biomerging I mentioned above which was such a great way to give the kids Mega's and its nice that its all of the main cast for once not just 1/2 kids that get a Mega (granted theres only really 3 main characters here but still) plus Ryo and I liked how Takato's friends and Henry's sister all get partners as well and do contribute to the fight even without Biomerging themselves. Plus Impmon gets to have a redemption arc that is actually handled quite well. I really love the scene where he uses Leomons move to free Jeri but its doing that that causes her to regress and not want to be freed by him of all people since he offed her partner.

Tamers is just so good almost 100% of the time, I do not understand how anyone thinks its the worst.

Frontier - It's not horrible and it was an interesting concept but not having any partners made it feel very distant to what made Digimon so interesting in the first place. Plus it was annoying how once again only 2 of the main cast ever actually get complete evolutions with the side characters only getting 1 or 2, it also doesn't do a very good job of setting up the 'power' of each stage of evolution after the first two. Like okay it makes sense that Beast Spirits are stronger then Human and a fusion of both is stronger then that but after that they just add a bunch of others into the mix and it just gets a bit out of hand.

Savers - There is a ton to like of Savers although it starts off really really rough with some rather unlikable characters including the main character (at least at first) but after the first arc once all the introductions are made it really starts to get interesting and gets pretty great and has a lot of darker elements. It's also great that once again all the main characters have complete evolutions. Also the second opening song is amazing. Savers is extremely hard to get into because the first arc is just not good but once your past that it really gets interesting and the characters get much more layered and the dynamic between them is really great. It's not perfect but I think its the best after Tamers to be sure.

I tried watching the Xros series but didn't like really anything about it from the characters, the story, art style, ect. I should try to see it eventually because I hear it has some pretty good moments but yeah just not something I'm interested in atm.

Overall of the first five I'd rank them...

Tamers>Savers>Adventure>Frontier>02

I think the reason that Tamers really wins this for me is that while its still very much a kids show it explores some really realistic characters and situations (like seriously if you had a Digimon in the real world WTF as a 10 year old would you do? That is a MASSIVE responsibility in itself but oh yeah it can Digivolve and GROW INTO THE SIZE OF A HOUSE!) and a genuine and honest darker story-line that made it vastly different then what the first two series did. It could've just be 03/Tri and it would have made a lot of people happy but instead they tried to do something different and explore what they really could do with this concept and I think they nailed it. It's not perfect to be sure, but its what kept me interested in the series all these years later and I find Tamers infinitely more rewatchable and interesting then any other series of the show.

Man, I don't even know where to start when it comes to talking about how much Digimon has meant to me over the years.

Like many others, I first came across the series when it was showing on Fox Kids. I religiously watched the block back then because of Power Rangers, so when I saw an ad for the premiere of a show that suspiciously looked a lot like Pokemon I was instantly hooked. Watched the first episode of Adventure that morning then ended up finding two of the original V-Pets on clearance at Big Lots that afternoon. It was fate.

My friends and I were huge into anime, video games, and ESPECIALLY Pokemon/Digimon back when we were in 4th-6th grade. We lived in a really small town, so we spent a lot of time exploring outside and pretending we were Digimon or Digidestined. Things got even better once the Digivices came out in America. One of us would find them on sale at Walmart or Kmart and the other two would spend the next week getting our parents to drive us around looking for our own. Our 6th grade teacher took all of our D-3s away from us one day because we just wouldn't stop trying to be sneaky and play with them during class -- we were bummed but he was a great guy and gave them back to us at the end of the day. We all had so much fun running around and playing together.

Once Tamers came out, I was super into the whole online fandom. I was always on Megchan's boards and IRC channels (growing up with 28k Internet made getting one of Megchan's copied over Tamers VHS tapes and spending entire afternoons downloading Digimon OSTs and episodes into spiritual experiences), drooling over the infinitely cooler Japanese Digivices, writing fanfiction, and spending days upon days making friends and playing the now defunct D-M's Digimon RPG on ezboard. Having the Internet as a 12 year old in a town in the middle of nowhere was seriously the coolest thing -- I even got an e-mail reply from Chiaki Konaka (to my drt123@pokemonforever.zzn.com address) when I told him how Digimon Tamers was my favorite TV show EVER.

Of course, Digimon started waning in popularity when Frontier came out and got scattered from Fox Kids to UPN/Disney. I still religiously taped every episode that came on and kept up with the fandom through WtW from high school all the way through grad school. When I got my first job working at a video game store during summer school in college, I immediately spent hundreds of dollars buying Japanese Digivices through Yahoo Japan Auctions. I'd play through the new games, watched Savers and Xros Wars, and just had a great time taking in this series that I loved so much even though it was nowhere near as popular as it was when I was a kid.

Now it's crazy looking back on the years since I fell in love with Digimon. It's had such a huge impact on me. I've made a lot of friends, had a lot of good memories (I got to have dinner with Chiaki Konaka twice!!!), and I know that it's shaped me into a better person. Seeing Appmon, Tri, and all of the 20th Anniversary stuff happening now just makes me so happy. Hats off to you, Digimon.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I've made a lot of friends, had a lot of good memories (I got to have dinner with Chiaki Konaka twice!!!)

Wow, how'd you manage that?? I definitely made some friends online back then (none I have talked to in many many years), but nothing like having dinner with the creator 0_o

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Happy 20th anniversary, Digimon.

I don't even remember how long ago it was that Adventure aired on Fox Kids on weekday mornings, but I do remember eagerly waking up to catch it before school. Easily the most impactful show I watched in my childhood, and one that I can still thoroughly enjoy as an adult without needing to turn my brain off. Episode 21 in particular was something I never fully appreciated as a kid, and when I experienced it again in a rewatch a few years back it blew me away. It's one of the strongest episodes of anything I've seen. The first movie was amazing too, and Our War Game literally ruined Summer Wars for me. I loved the series all the way up until the end of Tamers, but for the sake of keeping things positive, I won't elaborate on that.

Pretty much my exact thoughts on the first 5 seasons (including the ranking). Just to add a couple thoughts on a few of them:

02 - I actually liked this series more than Tamers for awhile as a kid. My opinion was heavily skewed though because literally the moment 02's finale started airing, our TV went out. I didn't know how the series ended for years. When I finally watched it, I was shocked at how stupid it was. I rewatched most of 02 shortly after that and it has not held up at all. Easily the worst season of the first 5 (haven't watched much past them besides Tri).

Frontier - I did not give this season a chance as a kid because I hated that they removed partners. I watched parts of it as a kid but not a whole lot. When I watched the series as an adult, I grew an appreciation for it. The final arc is awful (arguably the worst in the franchise), but everything before it is pretty decent. It had the 2nd best group of kids after Tamers, some of the best designs in the franchise (although I hated that they included older Digimon in their names), and before the final arc, everyone got their moment to shine. It's not as good as Tamers, Savers or Adventure, but it's way above 02.

Savers - This is the only Digimon series I've watched entirely subbed instead of dubbed. It starts slow (like every series) and I'm not particularly fond of the middle arc, but the final arc is fantastic. I liked the premise of the series and how each arc nicely transitioned into each other. Masaru had his own thing, but none of the cast got left behind with everyone getting their own Mega and Burst evolutions. What holds it back is its half of the main cast are really boring and there's few stand out moments in the first half. I also want to take a moment and ask what the hell whoever dubbed the series thought that Keenan was a good dub name to replace Ikuto. Masaru to Marcus and Tohma to Thomas are fine, but Ikuto to Keenan is so random lol.

Tamers is really good, and has grown on me all the more as time passes.

Maybe Frontier is good, IDK, but I'm sorry, I could not get passed them ditching digimon partner aspect, and having human evolve/digivolve into digimon. HATED that gimmick/idea. Sorry again, but could not get past it.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I also want to take a moment and ask what the hell whoever dubbed the series thought that Keenan was a good dub name to replace Ikuto. Masaru to Marcus and Tohma to Thomas are fine, but Ikuto to Keenan is so random lol.

Lots of weird dub choices in the franchise, for sure. Ikuto could've been "Iggy" or something (can't think of I names right now), but what bugs me the most is Miyako - Yolei. They honestly couldn't make her "Miya" or "Maya" or something? Iori to Cody... I guess I names for guys are tough. Dukemon - Gallantmon is a weird one. Duke is a perfectly find english word... why change it?

Lagamorph

Are the new Vpets Japan only or will they get a US/Europe release? Wouldn't mind picking one up for nostalgia.

Had one of these bad boys as a kid,
e11f0bee1e4001a1bae349798c38fbbb.png

Though I had the superior blue colour.

xk0sm0sx

I played Digimon World Re:Digitize on the 3DS to heck.
Even though it was a enhanced version of the PSP game, hence it plays great, and easy as well, the graphics lacks a certain charm compared to the original game.

Something about the low poly, clay-look of the original World game made it feel mysterious.

Re:Digitize:
9aqlZ4p.png

World 1:
jNxLCtJ.png

Are the new Vpets Japan only or will they get a US/Europe release? Wouldn't mind picking one up for nostalgia.

Had one of these bad boys as a kid,
e11f0bee1e4001a1bae349798c38fbbb.png

Though I had the superior blue colour.

The first wave of V-Pets had been available to order through Premium Bandai Singapore. Not US or Europe, but at least it's outside Japan.
Instructions are likely to be in Japanese though.

Have all the movies been released? I heard a lot of discussion about a time paradox of some sort, so I don't want to start watching the movies and get into it, only to be left hanging and be waiting for a proper conclusion.

There are at least 2 more OVAs or maybe more. Should end this year though.

Man I loved Digimon both as a kid and as an adult.

Adventure - A great start with a lot of likeable characters, the introduction to the partner dynamic made the digimon so interesting and loveable. I thought it went on to long overall with hit and miss arcs (Miss: Etamon, Parts of the Dark masters) but it had some great moments (Angemon, MagnaAngemon, Warp Digivolution, the real world arc, ect) throughout.

Etemon is definitely the weakest arc in Adventure, and is primarily a MacGuffin plot, but it thankfully doesn't really last that long. Tai has some great character development in it with the Skullgreymon and then making his crest glow parts. It's not terrific, but it's serviceable and really provides a great bridge between Devimon and Myotismon. Etemon's an ultimate, and therefore beyond the kids' power, but he's not a very strong one so it helps Myotismon in comparison. That still doesn't make it great, but I can get why it's there.

Lots of weird dub choices in the franchise, for sure. Ikuto could've been "Iggy" or something (can't think of I names right now), but what bugs me the most is Miyako - Yolei. They honestly couldn't make her "Miya" or "Maya" or something? Iori to Cody... I guess I names for guys are tough. Dukemon - Gallantmon is a weird one. Duke is a perfectly find english word... why change it?

It's an English word, but it carries a totally different connotation and feeling than Gallant. I can see why they changed it.

What gets me about Yolei is that it is a "weirder" name than Miyako. An average English-speaking child will probably meet a Miyako before they meet a Yolei. Not to mention that it is easier to read and pronounce.

Iori -> Rory would work, but it doesn't really bother me that they just decided to go with "common boy name with 4 letters".

Lagamorph

The first wave of V-Pets had been available to order through Premium Bandai Singapore. Not US or Europe, but at least it's outside Japan.
Instructions are likely to be in Japanese though.
Darn. Wonder if any English instructions will surface once they're released.

I remember getting up at like 630 am on Sundays just to catch season 1 when i was 12. How i came to be so dedicated continues to amaze me.

So the V-pets have sold out... They might have another round of preorders like they did for the first wave, so for those interested, keep an eye out.

Update: The V-pets have been made available again. You can go through an intermediary like From Japan or Nippon-Yasan to get one if you live outside of Japan.

In other news, as part of the 20th Anniversary, Shout Factory released a trailer of the English dub of Tri Part 2. Thought some here looking for nostalgia might appreciate it.

Top Bottom