• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

DBT85

He did that in a Toro Rosso and he probably doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. At the end of a career, some people care that people fight for them as the best while others look at stats and say it proves they're the best. Much like Schumacher, Vettel cares about the numbers.

Hmm, he got a pole and won a race in the wet, and some 5th and 6th finishes. The car didn't deserve to win so he gets props for that, but in the rain literally anything can happen.

Does he now get a pass on not performing forever more because the car won't put him on the front row in every quali, all because he won 4 WDC in a car that, not disimilar to the Mercs these days, was the class of the field? He's not done bad in the Ferrari, but he's not looked like a 4x champion wrestling a dog around the track like Alonso used to.

Nico implosion plz

I don't think Nico will crack unless something happens that costs him points and tightens the fight. He'll be cautious and be content to sit behind Lewis if need be, though he might struggle with the Red Bulls today.

If Lewis were to win and Nico were taken out or basically the points gap drops to like 5, then he might crack. He'd then have to probably have a straight fight with Lewis and I think Lewis wins in that situation.

John_B

I think Magnussen is worthy of another couple of seasons opposit to drivers like Grosjean and Hulkenberg. It's hard to place him in a tier despite him having almost completed two full seasons. Considering that he was a talent in the same class as Vandoorne, it seems a bit of waste if he never really got to show his potential.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The snowman cometh?
sHmDnZz.jpg

Zaru

Might not be a bad move just to get some stability, as Renault will still want to go for a big name in 2018 like Alonso. Two years devloping Haas could help him.

A 36 year old Alonso moving to Renault again (third time)? I can't see it happening unless they look poised to obliterate 2018.

DBT85

It's all up in the air as we don't know just how well Honda and Renault will cope with the no token system next year giving them free reign to upgrade the engines. I reckon Honda will be spending more than Renault to sort it out though.

Mastah

Renault themselves said wins are their goals in 5 years time, so good luck convincing Alonso that the championship is his in 2022, when he'll be 41. I'm sure he wants more of what he has to endure currently at McLaren for another few seasons, but in a different team.

The only big name I can think of is Vettel. If 2017 is more of the same I can see him staying at Ferrari for that sweet money, switching to someone like Renault for even bigger salary or retiring altogether from F1.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
What was Eddie the Oracle saying yesterday that Vettel and Arrivabene have issues with each other ?

Hasney

Does he now get a pass on not performing forever more because the car won't put him on the front row in every quali, all because he won 4 WDC in a car that, not disimilar to the Mercs these days, was the class of the field? He's not done bad in the Ferrari, but he's not looked like a 4x champion wrestling a dog around the track like Alonso used to.

It's up to you if you give him a pass or not, but what I'm saying is that Vettel doesn't give a damn unlike Alonso. If he's not competing to beat Schumacher's accomplishments, he may as well not even be at the race track for him. Alonso does seem to care that he's in the conversation for best current driver, but Web has never shown a hint of that. It seems to be wins or nothing for him.

dakun

just a reminder. For the countries that had their time changed last night the race might be 1 hour earlier than you'd expect.
For example the F1 website showed 8pm for Central Europe yesterday but it's now at 7pm. (since they didn't account for the time change prior)

EDIT: NVM apparently the Official Website is wrong.

Zeknurn

just a reminder. For the countries that had their time changed last night the race might be 1 hour earlier than you'd expect.
For example the F1 website showed 8pm for Central Europe yesterday but it's now at 7pm. (since they didn't account for the time change prior)

Shit, thank you so much for this. I was set on making food and be ready for a 20:00 start.

dakun

The race is at 20:00 in Europe.

dakun means the official website says 19:00, when it should be 20:00.

lol now i'm confused. So the website fooled me? I actually thought that's the correct time

I'm sorry for the confusion if that's the case. I thought they'd get it right on the Official website. Stupid me.

Zeknurn

This is why we should stay on summer time all year round. Lets make it happen EU.

The race starts at 20:00 Central European Time.

JDB

Banned
The race is at 20:00 in Europe.

dakun means the official website says 19:00, when it should be 20:00.
For GMT+1 I think it's 19:00 even though the F1 app says 20:00.

Edit: There is more than one timezone is Europe, be specific please.

It seems Ferrari had to change Kimis engine for the race (he had problems with it during last qualifying lap). No penalty because it's old already used engine.

Yagami_Sama

Good for Magnussen I hope that he closes this deal. Renault is a good bet for the long term, but I think that Haas will improve faster than Renault, not that they will fight for the title next season, but at least will be fighting for points.

And talking about next the 2017 season, I hope that they drop DRS.

Aiii

So not worth it
Doubt Haas will improve that much, they develop next to nothing themselves and Dalara has proven to not be great at mid-season development (either Haas can't afford it, or Dalara can't provide it, whichever). Haas will never be more than a team that occasionally scores a point or two unless they change their business model.

Mastah

RoGro joins Palmer in the pitlane:

Tobi Grüner ‏@tgruener 22s23 seconds ago

Grosjean will start #MexicoGP from the pitlane. Haas had to change the floor over night. #AMuS

Zaru

Doubt Haas will improve that much, they develop next to nothing themselves and Dalara has proven to not be great at mid-season development (either Haas can't afford it, or Dalara can't provide it, whichever). Haas will never be more than a team that occasionally scores a point or two unless they change their business model.

It's funny how the Ferrari scraps team has also fallen back at a disappointing rate.

But yeah, they need to build more of the car themselves and gather some good people/knowledge to move up the grid.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Plus they won't have any luxury of B-spec Ferrari car or other direct help from Maranello for the next year...

krang

It's funny how the Ferrari scraps team has also fallen back at a disappointing rate.

But yeah, they need to build more of the car themselves and gather some good people/knowledge to move up the grid.

That was always their intention. They just needed to, in the words of Gene Haas, "survive" the first couple of years in F1 before they looked to do more themselves. A really wise strategy in this age of F1.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I just realized that Rosberg could win the title tonight.

dakun

Them odds though.

Somehow I feel like someone's gonna ram Nico.

Yeah i have the feeling too for some reason. At the very least he's going to lose some positions at the start.

In general i don't predict much action though. A 1 stop race where Hamilton is dominant seems very likely.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Guys, it is a looooong way down to the first corner (850 meters) and RBR is on supersofts. If only one of Mercs botch up start today, it will end stuck up in the traffic

Top Bottom