• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 basic model for... 399 euros/dollars?

1 terabyte harddrive with a game packed in like driveclub or knack for free!! for 499? what say you gaf

I would assume $499 would be the eye and PS+ or whatever their new online thing is called plus a bigger HD. If it makes sense financially, and the deluxe units almost always do, I'm sure I will. Though I have zero use for the eye.

thuway

I'm married now dude, I have to be more conservative and fair with my spending lol. I also want to buy a new TV (Panasonic TX-P50GT60 plasma), plus Durango, so I can't just splash out as liberally.

Nib I know and love you my man, and we both know you are gonna change your mind come launch date. :)

if the next gen consoles have decent sku's for 400, i'd be thrilled.

i guess it remains to be defined, "decent". is 250 hdd gonna be enough in a always install next gen world?

I've lived with a 60gb PS3 for years now, I'm sure I can manage a 250. I'm a one game a time guy, so I don't keep a lot of shit installed on my HDD.

If the drive is 250gb then I'm going to change it on day one if they allow it. I have 300gb on my ps3 and I've been constantly full and deleting items for a long time now.

Isn't 399$ too low, given what we know/speculate about the console and its component prices? I've always thought 449$ for entry price, and I still think that's going to be the entry price, with no PSEye and smaller HDD. 499 for the PSeye SKU. Even if the PS4 teaser released today hints a little to PSEye being essential for the console, so included in every SKU...

EDIT: Yes, with no screencap / nothing chached either, it's difficult to believe this right now.

They've pretty much already said they won't make money right away. They've just said they won't lose shit tons like with the PS3. So I think $399 sounds pretty good.

firen

I've lived with a 60gb PS3 for years now, I'm sure I can manage a 250. I'm a one game a time guy, so I don't keep a lot of shit installed on my HDD.

But digital downloads are more accessible than ever! If Sony's streaming service turns out to be great then think of all the downloading you'll be doing.

quetz67

Banned
So do indian prices include VAT? If not the european price would be 400€ + VAT = 479€ or 499€ tranlating to probably $499 in the US.

Jonboy

Isn't 399 euros like, 520 in USD?
Yep.

Seriously...no one else even bothered to look that up? Lol. Conversion is NOT 1:1.

Edit: As others have pointed out, although the literal conversion isn't 1:1, Sony used a 1:1 pricing scheme for Vita at $249 and 249 euros.

$399 is the number that has been floating around for a while amongst third parties rumor-ing with each other. It seems more likely after 'leaked' japanese and now euro prices.

And $499 is the Xbox number that's been everywhere, including thurriot. Microsoft better hope that Kinect 2 is fucking magic if they are planning on launching at $100 more. To be clear... I find it hard to believe that they would. But rumors be rumoring.

I would be shocked if ms doesn't have a sku that is not the same price or cheaper than sony.

Launching a $100 more would be batshit

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
$399 would be a megaton for a system with such power. I do not expect to see any SKU at that price.
I don't think Sony or MS have much room to maneuver here. If they try to start pricing at $499 in the US, they're going to kill momentum.

By all indications, the BOM for these consoles isn't *that* far beyond $399 so their losses should be minimal and easy to reduce within the first year or so.

Durante

Isn't 399$ too low, given what we know/speculate about the console and its component prices?
No, not really. Nothing indicates that they can't build it for that, or close to that.

Also, nothing about the camera seems to be particularly expensive to build.

No, not really. Nothing indicates that they can't build it for that, or close to that.

Also, nothing about the camera seems to be particularly expensive to build.

Exactly. These aren't top of the line camera sensors. They're equivalent to decent webcams, but you can get those for $10 now.

andycapps

250 GB? must be a joke, the price difference between that and a 500GB-1TB drive is negligible. Also I didn't know 250 GB drives were still being manufactured.

Doesn't matter. People will see that they get double the space for only $100. It's the iPhone mode of pricing. The extra storage is not worth $100.

If it's $399 I'm there day one.

Nope, there is no way that Sony will position it has only slightly more expensive than the Wii-U.

Sony are a premium hardware manufacturer, they have shiny pretty boxes and they command a premium. Also, selling high allows them to reduce the price very slowly over a long period of time, which is why it's hard to get a PS3 for under £200 still

ok now we've reached critical mass, I don't know if this is a joke anymore, should I laugh or be worried?

woober

Doesn't matter. People will see that they get double the space for only $100. It's the iPhone mode of pricing. The extra storage is not worth $100.

If it's $399 I'm there day one.

Double the space for $100 ain't gonna fly. Might as well get an SSD for that upgrade price point.

Honestly, I'm not sold on this story. Playfront.de has absolutely EVERYTHING to gain by totally making this up. We have no screengrab. We just have a link to an error page, and you could substitute any characters in the last part of that Sony India URL and get the exact same error page.

Seriously, we're gonna take this blog no one's heard of on its word? There's no proof whatsoever of this actually happening.

If there's a $300 PS4 day one then I can only assume there's going to be greater than 1m units shipped in North America, in November. $399 seems way more likely given how supply constrained these consoles will be.

Mokubba

Yep.

Seriously...no one else even bothered to look that up? Lol. Conversion is NOT 1:1.

playstation-vita-price-release-window-announced.jpg

I'm not saying the conversion is 1 : 1 but this has been the pattern for a while now.

Dlacy13g

I for one hope the PS4 doesn't create a sku that without a camera in it. It would be splitting the user base again out of the gate.

pixlexic

Banned
The question is ... What's the difference between the models ?

If its something small like a smaller hd then great .. If its something like no wifi .. Less I/o ports .. Missing features then. Do not want

The question is ... What's the difference between the models ?

If its something small like a smaller hd then great .. If its something like no wifi .. Less I/o ports .. Missing features then. Do not want

It would be crazy to release a connected console without WiFi in 2013. I'm betting it's one version with PS Eye + Move, one without.

Zep

Banned
Premium PS4:
Console
Headset
750gb HDD
HDMI cable
One month free of PS+ and other new services they offer.

$500

Certinty

Probably means the premium version will be at least £400 in the UK.

I'm not exactly happy with that, but it won't put me off buying one.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Plus, I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS3 drop in price.

Both HD twins will be getting price cuts in the near future.

On topic 399.99 for the base unit has been what I have been expecting. The PS4 is a modest machine and the price will reflect that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Premium PS4:
Console
Headset
750gb HDD
HDMI cable
One month free of PS+ and other new services they offer.

Outside of the larger HD size every single one of these are going to be bundled in with the cheaper SKU. They are really crazy if they don't pack in an HDMI cable.

I'd imagine a more expensive SKU will have more than 1 month of whatever service they have, a larger HD and a pack in game - something like 1 year of PS+, double the HD capacity and Killzone for $499.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I for one hope the PS4 doesn't create a sku that without a camera in it. It would be splitting the user base again out of the gate.
A pack-in is guarantee of nothing, if the accessory in question isn't vital to basic function. It'll split the userbase either way.

Top Bottom