• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

Zalusithix

If4OYR3.png

For hardware / setup related questions or discussion, please use the SteamVR thread or the Rift thread.

This thread is an attempt to bridge the VR game conversation between the Vive and Rift owners. The Vive thread is at the end of its life, and the replacement is focused on the SteamVR hardware ecosystem. This thread will serve as the replacement for all the game discussion that normally occurred there, however rather than be a SteamVR software discussion thread, we think it's best to generalize to that to PCVR. Many of the same games are on both storefronts and available to owners of both headsets. Rather than discuss the same games in multiple places, we might as well consolidate the effort.

Secondly this will serve as a recommendation thread for PCVR games - on both storefronts. The number of PCVR games between the store fronts is rather crazy. Sure there's a lot of junk, but there's a lot of good stuff as well. Frankly I think it's beyond the capability of a single person to curate that amount of information. Even if they did do it once, keeping the first post of the thread up to date every week would be a job in its own right. As such, I've gone a bit experimental - at least by GAF standards: crowdsourcing the data.

By using these two things:

Links for those with images disabled: Submission Form - Google Sheet - Website Publishing of Sheet. None are great for display on mobile however.

GAF users can submit store links for between 3 and 10 of their favorite PCVR games, and the listing will automatically update sorted by submission count (every half an hour for new games). Users are limited to one editable response - enforced by requiring users to be logged into Google. (Google login/email information is not transmitted via Google forms. Your privacy is safe.) The same game between storefronts will be merged into one entry and the votes summed. Multiple votes for the same game by a single user will not be counted more than once for that game. It does not look up the alternative storefront links, so until somebody submits the equivalent for the other store, the listing will only show one store link. Tags are not available for Oculus exclusives because Oculus' web store front is... lacking.

It's not perfect, and a lot of the imperfections are out of my hands due to the limitations of bending Google Sheets to the purpose. Still, if it doesn't break somehow, it should make a decent listing of what's most popular among GAF users. Assuming people actually use it at least. And if you're curious about the submission limits, I don't want people to submit their entire library. It's a choice for the submitter whether they want to introduce an unknown gem or upvote existing titles.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Let me start this thread off by saying that Lone Echo is amazing so far. One of the best VR games I've played on any platform.

Crash331

Let me start this thread off by saying that Lone Echo is amazing so far. One of the best VR games I've played on any platform.

$40 for 6 hours seems rough, but I was impressed by the tech in the online portion, so I may bite anyway.

Soundboxing still has the transmission bug for some people (me included) dev hasn't directly answered in the Steam discussion forums to peole still having the bug, I hope they are working on that and are not ignoring it... it's upsetting me to a great deal as the game turned into a regular game that I was playing every day (same as Audioshield).

*angryface

Zalusithix

Whoa, you move fast Zalusithix. Awesome. Now to see which thread becomes the new defacto PCVR thread lol.

Don't make me paranoid that there was another recently created thread focused on general PCVR game discussion lol. I specifically took this on because nobody else took on the task from the Vive thread. Meanwhile the initiates to the Rift camp seemed happy to discuss everything in the deal thread. =P

Wollan

Good initiative. Most PC VR games can be played across both platforms anyhow despite service exclusivity deals.

These days I only own a Vive but I want to jump onto Lone Echo at first opportunity.

Don't make me paranoid that there was another recently created thread focused on general PCVR game discussion lol. I specifically took this on because nobody else took on the task from the Vive thread. Meanwhile the initiates to the Rift camp seemed happy to discuss everything in the deal thread. =P

lol sorry.

I would have helped, but I can't do the OT's anymore I go way too overboard. As is evidence of my Elite Dangerous OT. Needlessly long. I also am not someone who's spent long enough in VR to really cover something like this yet.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You should add some mixed reality gif to the OP to better showcase gaming in VR

Soi-Fong

Get Lone Echo people! This is a legit AAA experience that's not a shooting gallery, and really feels like a full-fledged game.

Amneisac

Get Lone Echo people! This is a legit AAA experience that's not a shooting gallery, and really feels like a full-fledged game.

I don't even have my Rift yet, but watching videos of it I just don't really feel like it would be something I'd like. I will definitely re-evaluate after I have a chance to try out VR. I'm actually really, really excited for Robo Recall of all things.

I'm so happy to hear such glowing things about Lone Echo. I can't wait to play it myself! I'll probably pick it up in the Fall since my VR gaming has slowed down significantly because of the Texas summer heat.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Good to hear :) I'll have to pick this up soon.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
great stuff already covered and submitted
pavlov
gorn
serious sam first encounter wouldnt let me link the bundle
vanishing realms
rick and morty
accounting
space pirate trainer
special delivery
knockout league
arizona sunshine

made a couple of shitty quality ones for when gorn was on itch

amOeWKp.gif

UP0A1ds.gif

4wWPgcf.gif

Eh, I just realised something. Somethings up with the formatting of the links in the op, I always have pictures disabled in the settings and I was wondering about missing links and why there are only links to imgur.

Don't know why that is but if anyones wondering, if you click the links with "show images disabled" it takes you to the image host and not the intended docs.
Weird

Steel

Banned
Good idea. I ended up posting a lot in the vive thread because it was used more and I used steamvr for most games anyway.

Wooo PCVR come together!

I'm pretty much obsessed with GORN lately. The gameplay is really satisfying and it's surprisingly a good workout. I've definitely been sore a day after extensive GORNing.

Soundboxing still has the transmission bug for some people (me included) dev hasn't directly answered in the Steam discussion forums to peole still having the bug, I hope they are working on that and are not ignoring it... it's upsetting me to a great deal as the game turned into a regular game that I was playing every day (same as Audioshield).

*angryface

What bug is this? Is that what causes the game to crash randomly mid-song every now and then? That is very annoying.

Soundboxing is still so damn good though, it's a regular game for me as well.

Soi-Fong

Wooo PCVR come together!

I'm pretty much obsessed with GORN lately. The gameplay is really satisfying and it's surprisingly a good workout. I've definitely been sore a day after extensive GORNing.

Does it work fine with the Rift? If so, I'm definitely getting it during a sale or something.

Zalusithix

I suppose I could add stuff like that. I guess I just figured everybody interested in VR game discussion already knew that much. Seeing as how that'd be a whole "introduction to VR" sort of section, I'm not going to tackle that right away. Kind of fatigued from getting the two threads to the point where they already are. If it's not broke, I'm not fixing it right away. ;)

Eh, I just realised something. Somethings up with the formatting of the links in the op, I always have pictures disabled in the settings and I was wondering about missing links and why there are only links to imgur.

Don't know why that is but if anyones wondering, if you click the links with "show images disabled" it takes you to the image host and not the intended docs.
Weird
I added text links, but if you're running on mobile, none of the stuff is going to look great. Responsive design is out of my hands. The scaling is all sorts of screwy on mobile. In the end I figured it wasn't that big of a deal since anybody playing PCVR games has a PC to access the content with.

Also fixed a backend bug that was affecting some Oculus submissions, and preventing them from showing up. My caching script was pulling in by value, and thus some Oculus IDs were being treated as huge numbers and getting truncated somewhere along the way. Flipped that to grab display values instead, so now it pulls everything by string. Hopefully there will be no more major kinks.

Coverly

Lone Echo is what I wished Adrift would have been like.

There was so much to do and play around with in the beginning segment that was not related to the main quest that it made me feel like I was in an old school rpg. Looking and scanning every item, taking and throwing things out of every drawer, peeking through windows to get that extra angle to see just a bit more, dancing with your shadow without shame.. I'm really glad the game didn't rush me through sections and just allowed me to settle in. It made me laugh when I saw she was growing pot at the very edge of the greenhouse and the conversation that came from it.

Everything about the game is just top notch, especially the way it handles screens and how the functions like scanning and boosters were tied to your hand. Spent a lot of time just staring at my robotic arms and thinking about how cool they were.

I hope there is a mode unlocked at the end where you can free roam the space ship outside of the story, so you can just relax and enjoy being there.

This and the Mages Tales recently.. I'm just in awe.

c00l3ru

Lone Echo is what I wished Adrift would have been like.

There was so much to do and play around with in the beginning segment that was not related to the main quest that it made me feel like I was in an old school rpg. Looking and scanning every item, taking and throwing things out of every drawer, peeking through windows to get that extra angle to see just a bit more, dancing with your shadow without shame.. I'm really glad the game didn't rush me through sections and just allowed me to settle in. It made me laugh when I saw she was growing pot at the very edge of the greenhouse and the conversation that came from it.

Everything about the game is just top notch, especially the way it handles screens and how the functions like scanning and boosters were tied to your hand. Spent a lot of time just staring at my robotic arms and thinking about how cool they were.

I hope there is a mode unlocked at the end where you can free roam the space ship outside of the story, so you can just relax and enjoy being there.

This and the Mages Tales recently.. I'm just in awe.
It deserves it's own OT. If ever a VR game does. This game should have one.

charpunk

I love how you use all of your tools in lone echo. Actually having to use your index finger to tap the buttons on your hands and arms rather than just press buttons on the touch controllers is so neat.

I can’t count how many times my Apple Watch notification went off and I went to go look at it and was all oh wait I’m not this robot.

c00l3ru

I love how you use all of your tools in lone echo. Actually having to use your index finger to tap the buttons on your hands and arms rather than just press buttons on the touch controllers is so neat.

I can’t count how many times my Apple Watch notification went off and I went to go look at it and was all oh wait I’m not this robot.
Tapping on the side of your headset to turn your light and hud on and off is awesome too.

I've only had my OR for about a month so I'm wading through my backlog of content still. Very keen to see how GAF differs from the views of the industry insiders.

What bug is this? Is that what causes the game to crash randomly mid-song every now and then? That is very annoying.

Soundboxing is still so damn good though, it's a regular game for me as well.

Some people get red error messages so your score wont get saved and you can't create any challenges anymore because they wont get saved neither. It's a relatively recebt thing and doesn't affect everyone and the dev thought it was fixed after a server update. But some still have this bug, I think Soundboxing is super fun but I want to make my own challenges and I can't at the moment.

-

I added text links, but if you're running on mobile, none of the stuff is going to look great. Responsive design is out of my hands. The scaling is all sorts of screwy on mobile. In the end I figured it wasn't that big of a deal since anybody playing PCVR games has a PC to access the content with.

The newly added links are fine, thanks!
(The original image links wont work on Mac OSX-Firefox and Win10-Firefox when show images is turned off, I've tried them on both systems)

Dave_6

I think you all have sold me on Lone Echo. I just got my Rift a week ago primarily for racing sims but I have tried out Robo Recall which is awesome. I did the tutorial for Echo Arena but quickly noped out when it threw me into a MP lobby and I could hear all the other players talking, lol.

c00l3ru

But is it good?
It's a game changer. Immersion is second to none. You're not playing a game. You are IN fucking space.
Like anything in VR. You have to experience it to believe it.
And this is the first game that doesn't just show the potential of VR. It blows the potential out of the water.
Believe

Top Bottom