• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What makes you think that? If it were Ryan, I'd think that - but in the Senate. I'm inclined to think another failed vote just lets him point the finger at Murkowski and Collins and shrug.

It's humiliating, sure. But I'm not sure McConnell is capable of feeling shame.
He most certainly is not.

daedalius

I'm worried for Puerto Rico.

New update puts the storm at 175mph, which is on the very high end of Hurricane Strength.

With Republicans in control of government led by an incompetent buffoon, combined with a perilous economic situation in PR, things could get really ugly.

They are going to need help, or go bankrupt.

I wish them luck, they are probably going to need it.

:(

I can't tell if you're talking about the federal government or the local government in PR

Do they have republicans led by an incompetent buffoon there too?

kirblar

Apparently the 2nd Northam/Gillespie debate just started a few minutes ago. (Even I don't know this stuff is going on and I live here!)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I can't tell if you're talking about the federal government or the local government in PR

Do they have republicans led by an incompetent buffoon there too?

Federal, given the situation in PR they are going to need to step in and help.

But, it seems likely to me the help will be non-existent or token.

Ogodei

There is no way McCain votes against a bill put forward by Graham.

It's his friendship with Graham vs his legacy. What's worse, hurt fee fees from the Sr. Senator from South Carolina or your grave getting vandalized by sick people you've sentenced to death?

Apparently the 2nd Northam/Gillespie debate just started a few minutes ago. (Even I don't know this stuff is going on and I live here!)

Lol, me neither.

I see so little of it, frankly. A handful of Northam signs, fewer Gillespie signs. Haven't seen an ad, but i don't watch local channels anymore.

DKHrY9RUIAAVSAm.jpg

Sen. Chris Coons:
DKHs__IXUAIoDw3.jpg

via https://twitter.com/ToddRuger/status/910269195044184064

Good to see some movement on this.

Blader

Eh, that's why I'm not in charge of Democratic strategy. I just think it's unfortunate that we've decided to prefer the policy that will actually ruin people's lives over the policy that essentially does nothing. Shouldn't we care more about people's lives?

Democrats choosing to fund the wall would kill our turnout in 2018/2020 and boost Trump in his re-election campaign. As much harm as providing funding for more ICE agents would be (and we don't even know that that is what's on the table!) I think an eight-year Trump presidency that can guide those ICE agents into conducing mass deportations would be a lot more ruinous.

I don't think I'm overexaggerating when I say that voting to fund the wall would be like voting to invade Iraq all over again. That's a stain that no Dem senator or congressperson will be able to wipe off their record, particularly if they've already spent 2.5 years attacking it!

Ogodei

Because the established Virginia democrats picked the wrong candidate to endorse in the primary because they thought he could raise more money as if that's all that matters.

Mostly because this is a weak tea vs dry toast election. It's not like there are a bunch of undecideds who are going to break for Gillespie because of Trump-turnout racist magic. Gillespie's not the guy for that. Most likely the hard undecideds will just stay home because they feel like there's no stakes.

pigeon

Banned
Democrats choosing to fund the wall would kill our turnout in 2018/2020 and boost Trump in his re-election campaign. As much harm as providing funding for more ICE agents would be (and we don't even know that that is what's on the table!) I think an eight-year Trump presidency that can guide those ICE agents into conducing mass deportations would be a lot more ruinous.

I don't think I'm overexaggerating when I say that voting to fund the wall would be like voting to invade Iraq all over again. That's a stain that no Dem senator or congressperson will be able to wipe off their record, particularly if they've already spent 2.5 years attacking it!

I feel like there would be a pretty big distinction to be drawn there, specifically that we killed hundreds of thousands of people invading Iraq, whereas building a wall that already exists would have no consequences.

I dunno. My original position on this was that we should demand the Dream Act, a clean DACA Congressional authorization, or nothing. Trump has already made it clear he doesn't want to deport the Dreamers. Neither do a bunch of Republicans. Who exactly are we negotiating with? Let's just ask for the clean reauthorization.

But if we had to offer something I'd rather offer the wall than more border security or ICE agents. The Democratic base will be (probably correctly) furious either way.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Mostly because this is a weak tea vs dry toast election. It's not like there are a bunch of undecideds who are going to break for Gillespie because of Trump-turnout racist magic. Gillespie's not the guy for that. Most likely the hard undecideds will just stay home because they feel like there's no stakes.

Which is a major problem with the party. Ossoff was a terrible candidate too. But I admit that getting a candidate who's outspent 5 to 1 is a problem too.

What if Citizens United, plus voter suppression, plus gerrymandering, plus the republican media machine is just too much to overcome?

If you can't get your base without giving up your donors, or can't get the donors without giving up your base, what can you do?

kirblar

Because the established Virginia democrats picked the wrong candidate to endorse in the primary because they thought he could raise more money as if that's all that matters.
At this point I'm convinced its a mistake to even control Lt. Gov and Vice Presidential positions because of people's anti-authoritarian impluses.
Want to win a race in VA? Rural populism isn't going to get you there. Could also help by running for Lt. Gov yourself, building up to a run in 2021!
Which is a major problem with the party. But I admit that getting a candidate who's outspent 5 to 1 is a problem too.

What if Citizens United, plus voter suppression, plus gerrymandering, plus the republican media machine is just too much to overcome?
VA's last 3 Dem governors were Warner, Kaine and McAulliffe. We feast on dry toast here.

Meh, Northam's not that bad.

If he wins by 6 points that'd be in the upper range of Dem wins in the last decade.

Keep in mind VA is one of the only swing states where "the Dem establishment" isn't a death siren.

Ogodei

Meh, Northam's not that bad.

If he wins by 6 points that'd be in the upper range of Dem wins in the last decade.

Keep in mind VA is one of the only swing states where "the Dem establishment" isn't a death siren.

Mostly because Arlington-Alexandria-Fairfax is literally where the Establishment lives. That and the 495 loop through Maryland.

kirblar

Which is a major problem with the party. Ossoff was a terrible candidate too. But I admit that getting a candidate who's outspent 5 to 1 is a problem too.

If you can't get your base without giving up your donors, or can't get the donors without giving up your base, what can you do?
Who do you think the base of the Democrats is in VA, exactly?

kirblar

I can't find any debate coverage on the post. Less than 50 tweets- https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=va debate&src=typd

And only video was on our local NBC4 webstream. Jeez.

re: healthcare, it all hinges on McCain not folding. I can't do anything to alter his decision. You can't do anything to alter his decision. Breathe, accept that what will happen will happen regardless of what you do, and expend your energies elsewhere. (Unless you're in Arizona or another state with a "weak yes" GOP Senator and a GOP governor who doesn't want this passed, in which case pester away!)

It's scary that one day we might look back and wonder when the world changed. Was it when trump was in office or when trump destroyed an entire nation because of he is an incompetent moron. The guy is tweeting out threats to totally destroy North Korea and the GOP has still not impeached his dumbass.

I feel like there would be a pretty big distinction to be drawn there, specifically that we killed hundreds of thousands of people invading Iraq, whereas building a wall that already exists would have no consequences.

I dunno. My original position on this was that we should demand the Dream Act, a clean DACA Congressional authorization, or nothing. Trump has already made it clear he doesn't want to deport the Dreamers. Neither do a bunch of Republicans. Who exactly are we negotiating with? Let's just ask for the clean reauthorization.

But if we had to offer something I'd rather offer the wall than more border security or ICE agents. The Democratic base will be (probably correctly) furious either way.

As most of America is not for an open borders policy, nor even particularly for allowing additional illegal immigrants from Latin America to enter the country, I tend to think that additional funding for border security to enforce policies that are already on the books would not miff people very much, whereas funding the wall absolutely would destroy Dems' credibility for several election cycles.

pigeon

Banned
As most of America is not for an open borders policy, nor even particularly for allowing additional illegal immigrants from Latin America to enter the country, I tend to think that additional funding for border security to enforce policies that are already on the books would not miff people very much, whereas funding the wall absolutely would destroy Dems' credibility for several election cycles.

Right, I agree that many Americans don't care about the lives of people of color in general and immigrants in particular. I just don't think that is particularly relevant to what policies we should want.

Right, I agree that many Americans don't care about the lives of people of color in general and immigrants in particular. I just don't think that is particularly relevant to what policies we should want.

Let me rephrase - I do not believe an open borders policy is an important policy to have and would much rather have increased enforcement of existing immigration policy rather than funding for The Wall.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Letting Trump have THE WALL seems like bad politics AND bad policy. Agree, THE WALL is stupid. But don't you want to campaign in 2020 saying he promised a wall and you got fences? We need the racists to stay home.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Letting Trump have THE WALL seems like bad politics AND bad policy. Agree, THE WALL is stupid. But don't you want to campaign in 2020 saying he promised a wall and you got fences? We need the racists to stay home.

Yea, if he gets the wall it'll be a huge political victory for him. If you want to win in 2020 any victories he gets need to be small, we can't let him win on any of his big promises.

Pixieking

Banned
Yea, if he gets the wall it'll be a huge political victory for him. If you want to win in 2020 any victories he gets need to be small, we can't let him win on any of his big promises.

The one thing that would actually harm him in terms of big victories is the one thing that none of us want - ACA repeal. If Graham/Cassidy goes through, the GOP and Trump will be ecstatic, and the long term political damage for them will be immeasurable.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The one thing that would actually harm him in terms of big victories is the one thing that none of us want - ACA repeal. If Graham/Cassidy goes through, the GOP and Trump will be ecstatic, and the long term political damage for them will be immeasurable.

The issue is we can't let him have that either due to the sheer number of people that would be hurt as a result.

Pixieking

Banned
The issue is we can't let him have that either due to the sheer number of people that would be hurt as a result.

Yeah. Even thinking "Oh, well, if it passes it's a Blue Wave in '18 and '20" is pretty shitty, because politics shouldn't factor into any part of this. :(

Ronald Reagan Jr. is very liberal and very atheist.
Yeah, it's just weird seeing him on TV in commercials asking for contributions to get religion out of politics in ads.

Yep, aarp would fuuuuuuuuck Republicans up. They are already strongly against it. I almost want it to pass to wake Republicans voters the fuck up in this country, but then 8 years later they would just be hurr durr and vote Republican again. I would never want to see the repeal pass though because of the casualties from it.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

I don't think most Democrats want an open borders policy.

Hell, in fact - you'd be going against what most actual immigrants want

http://news.gallup.com/poll/1660/immigration.aspx

Older data when broken out by race, but fairly consistent.

Blader

If there are no consequences to building a wall, then why don't we just build the wall? When Trump came down the golden escalator two years ago and said we need a great big beautiful wall on the southern border, should we all have said, "oh yeah, that's a good idea"?

There are enormous consequences to acquiescing on the wall. And even if they were purely symbolic consequences, they would be symbolic in a way that completely fuck Dem turnout for the next three years. And deservedly so.

Trump and Republicans don't want to deport Dreamers, at the same time they don't really want to go out on a limb for them either. Trump, Ryan, et al. have already said no to a standalone Dream Act. Maybe they change their minds after six months of pressure? Well, let's test that out. In the meantime, their starting position is we'll give you DACA protection if you give us more border security, whatever that entails. If there was nothing to negotiate, then this law would've been passed years ago.

I was originally convinced out of a okaying a bill that included wall funding by pigeon, ironically, and I still agree with that logic back then, with some new arguments to boot. I think tearing down a wall is more difficult than slashing a budget in the future. The former would most certainly be a political fight with sucked up media coverage for weeks, while the latter would only get "War on Christmas" levels of coverage. I don't think people really care about the minutiae of the budget for a specific branch of ICE (and it's not even the whole org, which I discovered when looking into it. It's only ERO that sucks). On the other hand, people tend to have the same stance on stuff like Confederate statues* and walls as the NFL does on official review with bad camera angles: "let the ruling on the field stand." So while there's no wall, people don't like the idea of building one. But if there was one, then I think people wouldn't like the idea of tearing it down.

So no wall for me. You can can ERO's budget later pretty easily.

*On this point, the correct move is stuff like Durham and just a few days ago, here in Oxford, MS. A guy drove his truck right into the main Confederate statue on campus, completely destroying the inscription on the base calling the Civil War a "Just and Holy Cause." The school wasn't going to remove the statue but now they probably won't approve of fixing it either.

Kimmel loaded the monologue to tonight's show early (about Jimmy Kimmel Test, Graham-Cassidy bill).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlibbx5sx0

"And this guy, Bill Cassidy, just lied right to my face."

This is fire, by the way.

"Stop using my name, because I don't want my name on it. There's a new Jimmy Kimmel Test for you, it's called a lie detector test, and you're welcome to stop by the studio and take it anytime."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom