• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Tizoc

These past few days have been a revelation for me.
Everything I thought I knew was shattered
Tizoc's air grab in Garou can be Just Defended

This game will keep surprising me with stuff I never knew you could do til the day I die

edit: Some nice variety this week come Monday.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
dude banned me from the gaf mvci discord because i complained that someone was spamming, which he was

image.php

4bUV7Ls.gif

shaowebb

LOL. Ultron is so dirty. Do his lk drone summon move and get up close and then hit forward HP to go for throw. They block the drone they get thrown. They dont blockthe drone they either get combo-ed or thrown. Advancing Guard doesn't save them because since Ultron isn't doing the attack and the drone is you wont get shoved back if they A.Guard the hit so he still gets to go for the throw attempt free. They pretty much HAVE to tech or eat the throw. If you're on reality stone its easy to setup the drone so close. If theres any way to combo off the throw via tag, tools or other things then this is pure fucking scumbag right here. Either way it causes solid damage and will force people to start worrying about throws. And if they try to run from my pressure thats fine because Ultron is great at a distance too and I'll just build meter and get the unscaled hits here and there.

Also finding out if I wanna be a complete prick I can use Soul Stone's Infinity Storm with X on a team. If you start doin any longwinded attacks you can use the animation as a buffer to let you input a shit load of X's buster cancel stuff to force high lows or go for his quarter circle kick moves that boomerang around and cause left rights and all while enjoying whatever you're already doin. X+ Ultron soulstone is straight up pressure and mixups . Sadly the guaranteed throw attempt doesn't work in Infinity Storm for Ultron anymore because they tend to stay locked down and the throw rarely comes out as anything other than a meaty.

Loving this stuff so far. Desk is so gonna have some ridiculous soul stone infinity storm vids given how much shit you can do with it.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Weekend JoJo ASB:

Polnareff VS Josuke
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25206604
Polnareff VS Fugo
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26017916

Polnareff is a Stand character (Silver Chariot). His main stance is Stand-On, using Silver Chairot's sword to poke, pick, interrupt and annoy the opponent until they either make a mistake, or relent momentum, allowing Polnareff to capitalize. Polnareff's Stand-ON normals are all quick and have excellent range. On top of that, he has an overhead command normal that comes out very quick. While in Stand-On, he has access to a rapid word swipe (Stand Rushable, for combos or for anti-air), sword twirl (reflects projectiles), and a fast sword stab that has decent range. He can use his normals and specials to stuff jumps and attacks, and when the opponent relents, Polnareff can use his jumping attacks, command normal, and lows to open up the opponent and do large damage. His final special is an attack that hurls Polnareff up and forward for a overhead cross-up that leads to a combo. Blocking this move gives the opponent a full combo punish, though.

In Stand-Off, his moveset isn't quite as useful. His normals don't have quite the same range, and his specials don't have quite as much utility. He has a big downward slash that looks mid, but is just a high attack. It's mostly used as a combo ender. He has a forward lunging sword slash (that can reach across the whole stage!), but it and it's follow-up don't do much damage. He has a projectile that bounces off the ground, but it's super hard to use outside of a combo that sets-up a cross-up on wake-up. Finally, he has a sort of divekick mid-air, but it is completely unsafe unless you roman cancel it.

His super is an 'after image' buff you see Gamora do. While this is in effect, Polnareff doesn't gain any meter, and takes extra damage, so you have to make it count. As with all buffs like this, it gives him all sorts of extra frame traps, set-ups and free damage.

His ultra is just your basic 'land an attack, watch a cut-scene, good damage'. It has no invincibility, so outside of combos it can easily be interrupted.

Overall, Polnareff has crazy range for someone that isn't a zoner. The trade-off is that the further away you are, the less damage you do. Polnareff doesn't have any dragon punch 'get off of me' moves (not even super), so he's safest outside the opponent's range, able to react and stuff their attacks. Once he does get the opportunity to combo, he gets really good damage. This might make Polnareff players impatient and want to jump in and attack all day, but there's better characters for that. Polnareff's throw range is tiny, and his forward dash is slow and crappy. It's hard to place Polnareff on a tier list because he has good range and big damage, but his blocking has to be perfect on defense, and he has to wait for his chance to really shine in a match. None of his specials are spammable and really, it takes a smart and patient player to reap his juicy rewards.

MechaX

MvC was definitely entertaining, but personally, I think the amount of craziness on screen may be a double edged sword.

Yipes says it's less chaotic than 3, but... eh, him and Steve couldn't even follow some of those matches. The audience may stay because it's just that crazy and insane, or they may end up leaving because they have no idea what's going on in the middle of mixup city, Stone effects, and Dormammu craziness (this... could also be another concern, because at least half of top 8 it seemed was filled with Dormammu, but someone can double check to verify).

Alternatively, it could end up creating a scenario where people like to watch Infinite, but would never actually play it for themselves because they're scared off. It's too early to tell for sure, but we'll see.

jett

D-Member
MvC was definitely entertaining, but personally, I think the amount of craziness on screen may be a double edged sword.

Yipes says it's less chaotic than 3, but... eh, him and Steve couldn't even follow some of those matches. The audience may stay because it's just that crazy and insane, or they may end up leaving because they have no idea what's going on in the middle of mixup city, Stone effects, and Dormammu craziness (this... could also be another concern, because at least half of top 8 it seemed was filled with Dormammu, but someone can double check to verify).

Alternatively, it could end up creating a scenario where people like to watch Infinite, but would never actually play it for themselves because they're scared off. It's too early to tell for sure, but we'll see.

There were only two Dormammu users, so 2/16 characters. :p

I agree that the madness can be both a positive and a negative. Fun to watch but may scare people from trying the game. High level marvel play is literally another level.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I'm not quite sure if chaoticness or being hard to follow really translates into intimidation of sales. If something looks exciting and complicated, like, say, high level MOBAs or RTS, people will still buy in with hopes that they can replicate half that. If it looks fun, people want to have fun.

A bit of a tangent but..

Maybe it does, but if MvC is an outlier, there's more to it. MvC3 sold well, but the brand took hits with UMvC3 too along with Capcom generally and that can't be ignored. Looking back, it's crazy MvC3 got all that shit at the time. When it comes to picking a roster, which has to be shared in totality with another franchise, you've also got this unique situation where if 15-20 slots for Marvel/Capcom are not exactly what I want, people riot. And when X-men are something pretty much everyone wants and you call them functions and some that you might not remember..

Onemic

MvC3 was harder to follow for me tbh.

Yeah to be honest I actually have an easier time of following this than MvC3 sometimes.

MvC3 often had moments where I didn't know what the fuck was going on, who was getting hit and who wasn't. Hidden Missiles didn't help.

Yeah there are situations where I don't know which way the player should block but I've never had a situation where I flat out lose track of what's going on..

Chavelo

By charging 14$ for a bowling mode, idolmaster costumes and a diaper?

people much rather get a good base game off the start and pay for only 2 characters than to buy a questionable base game and then get asked to pay the same amount for triple the characters

Tekken 7 sold well on launch and it has a shitty DLC road ahead of it, dunno what to tell ya

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
MVCI is harder to follow. Giant flash on screen means someone switched, can't tell who, can't tell which character is coming in and which one is leaving.

shaowebb

The hardest thing about MVCI is getting it from Gamestop. I preordered and it still hasn't arrived plus its tracking number says nothing when I use it. I'd cancel it and just buy one of the PILES of it in the store right now except it no longer has an option to cancel because it shipped.

Fucking thing will never arrive.

EDIT: Fuck em. I just spent nearly an hour since this post sitting through the service number. They're issuing a refund. Stated it should have been here a week ago. If it arrives they said I can return that copy via a local store but the refund is being processed either way. I also called them out for Samus Returns being a week late as well and told them I'm just gonna cancel Culdcept Revolt and go through NISA or Amazon if they have the launch dlc because I'll likely never get it with the track rate they have.

Fuck Gamestop. Im leaving to go physically buy a fucking copy so I can stop playing this via Redbox.

Nyoro SF

MVCI is harder to follow. Giant flash on screen means someone switched, can't tell who, can't tell which character is coming in and which one is leaving.

Agreed. MvCI is definitely way harder to follow than MvC3. It's harder to separate the characters from the background. Something tells me this is why the stages don't have NPCs outside of a very far-off MODOK (another budget move from Capcom).

shaowebb

Agreed. MvCI is definitely way harder to follow than MvC3. It's harder to separate the characters from the background. Something tells me this is why the stages don't have NPCs outside of a very far-off MODOK (another budget move from Capcom).

To distinguish foreground from background takes either outliners or careful shader and lighting work. Given the "quality job" they did on the character shaders its no shock folks find this hard to follow. They look very plain and dont pop out from anything at all. Shoulda just turned of Chromatic Aberration and used the old shader style from 3 to make them easier to follow.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
MvCI is so fascinating to me from a PR perspective, from the pre-announcement hype to now it's been such a fucking wild ride. In less than a year too. What the fuck

Tripon

MvCI is so fascinating to me from a PR perspective, from the pre-announcement hype to now it's been such a fucking wild ride. In less than a year too. What the fuck
Craizest thing is that Capcom promised to give games time to develop and then rushed out another game again within a year.

NEO0MJ

To distinguish foreground from background takes either outliners or careful shader and lighting work. Given the "quality job" they did on the character shaders its no shock folks find this hard to follow. They look very plain and dont pop out from anything at all. Shoulda just turned of Chromatic Aberration and used the old shader style from 3 to make them easier to follow.

One of the best thing about the PC version right now is that you can get rid of CA, makes for a much more clean looking game.
Wonder if they can somehow mod back in the shaders from 3.

The hardest thing about MVCI is getting it from Gamestop. I preordered and it still hasn't arrived plus its tracking number says nothing when I use it. I'd cancel it and just buy one of the PILES of it in the store right now except it no longer has an option to cancel because it shipped.

Fucking thing will never arrive.

EDIT: Fuck em. I just spent nearly an hour since this post sitting through the service number. They're issuing a refund. Stated it should have been here a week ago. If it arrives they said I can return that copy via a local store but the refund is being processed either way. I also called them out for Samus Returns being a week late as well and told them I'm just gonna cancel Culdcept Revolt and go through NISA or Amazon if they have the launch dlc because I'll likely never get it with the track rate they have.

Fuck Gamestop. Im leaving to go physically buy a fucking copy so I can stop playing this via Redbox.

Does Amazon still do release-day delivery? If they do that would be a good option in the future.

.la1n

One of the best thing about the PC version right now is that you can get rid of CA, makes for a much more clean looking game.
Wonder if they can somehow mod back in the shaders from 3.

The PC version actually looks quite nice once you make some adjustments like removing CA. I would like the option to disable it on consoles at the very least. One of the biggest issues developers are always hit or miss on is readability of the screen elements and characters. Capcom failed miserably on that front. At least NRS learned with Injustice 2 and made adjustments on stage to stage basis.

Clawww

To quote a certain analyst, it's just anti-consumer all around. Once again, the saddest aspect is just how straightforward the issues are, but Capcom continues to phone it in. At least we got exciting new e-sports stones concepts out of it though.

Top Bottom