• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Aquova

Okay, I went ahead and sprung for the European 3-in-1 power supply. They offer American plugs, and it's rated for US mains power. It ended up being €2 more for the US plug, and about €6 for shipping, running to about $33 altogether, which is much better than the $50 the other site wants. I'll keep people posted on how well it works.

looking at my loose carts, I think my World of Illusion is fake. The back screws are different from the usual and there a black sticker over where the Sega logo usually is. The label looks pretty low quality as well. Maybe it's a late repressing but I'm leaning toward fake. Anyone have a copy of this game? Does it posses any of these qualities?

Mercutio

looking at my loose carts, I think my World of Illusion is fake. The back screws are different from the usual and there a black sticker over where the Sega logo usually is. The label looks pretty low quality as well. Maybe it's a late repressing but I'm leaning toward fake. Anyone have a copy of this game? Does it posses any of these qualities?

Sounds like my late gen Majesco Mexico made Turtles in Time on SNES. Modern reproduction carts are actually of higher quality.

Sounds like Majesco's re-release. I got mine back in the day new at retail, and it's the same as what you described.
Exwy480.jpg
V9sAXB9.jpg

I actually have that version of Sonic 2.
I recall my older brother saying that we had the clamshell version at some point, but that something happened to it, and we replaced it with this...but I don't remember that ever happening. Heh.

I actually have that version of Sonic 2.

I recall my older brother saying that we had the clamshell version at some point, but that something happened to it, and we replaced it with this...but I don't remember that ever happening. Heh.

Is that seal of quality sticker resting on top of the "not for resale" text? lol

Mercutio

Is that seal of quality sticker resting on top of the "not for resale" text? lol

Hahahaha.They must have bought the rest of the pack in stock. Oh Majesco, you bottom feeders.

Seriously though, I thought my Turtles in Time was fake after I bought it. I can't believe the Majesco games aren't worth less, but nobody seems to care.

I don't see Majesco's name on the Sonic 2 case, and it's there for all of the rest of their re-releases. So I don't think they were involved. The style of case is also different from Majesco's stuff.

AmyS

A sensible, reasonable and fair review of Herzog Zwei from back in the day.

sikkVuL.jpg

DtaL1Xh.jpg

Contrast that with EGM's review, published the same month.

Edit: This is basically the entirety of EGM's Herzog Zwei coverage -- They never even bothered to do a Fact-File for it.

EGM #9
B8zgTBo.jpg

EGM #10
I1u0Swj.jpg

EGM #11 and #13

The difference in quality and level of maturity in the writing is obvious.

Edit: Sega Visions --

jq3r3GA.jpg

CVG:

eLXf01h.jpg

RAZE:

Xhorder

Today I received my modded PAL Mega Drive, so now I can finally experience my games in 60hz and in the proper aspect ratio. Also the Genesis copy of Mega Turrican I've owned for about ten years is finally playable (it's region protected) for me.

It's crazy how slow some of these games run on a regular PAL system and how I never noticed as a kid.

Saoshyant

I have moved my Sega collecting hobby now to this little system. While I adored the Mega Drive when I played at friends as a young sprout, I never had one myself until much later and that made me be far more invested on the Saturn and Dreamcast. But now with those two pretty much done collecting-wise for me, I have been buying hard titles for the MD in the last year and half. To give you an idea, these are just some games that have arrived in the last few weeks:

yU4I35p.jpg

These aren't the common recommendations but the sort you get when you are trying to score good, but lesser known games. And they are all indeed good... though considering how much Truxton and Mazin Wars ended up costing I was hoping for something more fitting their status.

Anyway, as I clean every cart I buy, another interesting thing is that -- with so many EA games -- I am quite noticing that those carts' contacts have nowhere near the quality of the officially licensed ones. They aren't rusty or anything, but they seem to be deteriorating.

Which brings me to why I am even posting when I usually keep to myself: I need help/advice. One of the EA carts, Centurion, won't even work. And by work, I mean it won't fit on my CDZ or MD2 models at all. It fits on my MD1 but doesn't seem to work there either. The cart's contacts seem like they are larger than they should be, as if they expanded with age. Is that even a thing?

IqdiTaL.jpg

I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but they are indeed larger than even other EA games. I have no idea what to do on this situation. Buying another copy of Centurion? What if it's like this as well?

SnowTeeth

Banned
Random giveaway

Steam (Mega Drive/Genesis):

Alien Soldier - 628H7-TRXX9-W4GZ8
Golden Axe 2 - 5AQI5-R242F-ZGQQ6
Comix Zone - DVG06-PFV5W-C3V6Z

Steam DLC:

Endless Legend - Echoes of Auriga Add-on - 7JFEG-XBTQI-4TRZW
Dawn of War II Retribution - Ultramarines DLC - 663WQ-W224L-JE3DH
Total War Rome II: Blood and Gore - E8J72-75KLI-WVVH5
Total War Attila: Blood and Burning - DKFZG-GN4HW-JE2HA
Shogun 2 Blood Pack - DTHAF-Y87CF-ZVFPV

Aquova

Random giveaway

Steam (Mega Drive/Genesis):

Alien Soldier - 628H7-TRXX9-W4GZ8
Golden Axe 2 - 5AQI5-R242F-ZGQQ6

DLC:

Endless Legend - Echoes of Auriga Add-on - 7JFEG-XBTQI-4TRZW
Dawn of War II Retribution - Ultramarines DLC - 663WQ-W224L-JE3DH

Thanks! I took Golden Axe II, and it looks like someone else already got Alien Soldier.

AmyS

I've been wanting to get this scanned and done for a long time so I could post it here on NeoGAF.

Game Players magazine on Herzog Zwei.

[preview - May 1990]

The article below is pretty special to me.

I remember reading this short guide on Herzog Zwei at my local Toys"R"Us during summer 1990. I bought Herzog Zwei at Babbage's maybe a week later, and started learning the game.

Then around late summer I was at the same Toys 'R US and bought that issue, it was still there on the shelf along with a bunch of other issues of Game Players.

[Sega Genesis Game of the Month - June 1990]

8VQQc6U.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________^ That was exactly my experience with this game! ^

What Game Players did here for HZ was above and beyond what any other U.S. magazine did (especially EGM) from what I recall. They really tried to understand this new type of game and communicate that with their readers. At least VG&CE did a nice review.

The GP artwork is kinda kewl too :)

IrishNinja

damn, that is cool...ive had the game forever & have been meaning to sit down & learn how to properly play it. i got the basics from the CGR review, but still not quite there!

The PAL version fixes up some of the grammar during the few bits that do have text, as I recall. It doesn't really make the game's plot any more comprehensible, but it's an appreciated effort.

However, it loses the "VISUALSHOCK! SPEEDSHOCK! SOUNDSHOCK! NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!" blurb, so it's obviously inherently worse

IrishNinja

I had some friends over on Saturday and at some point we decided to do a 4v4 match of Sonic 2. It was actually kind of intense, lol.

oh man haven't done this in forever - looked fun man, good crowd!

I'd love me a Sega 3D Classics version w/ 2-player wireless play.

god, there's so many classic games that'd benefit from this, but yeah, put that on steam & watch a community grow with a quickness

Xhorder

I finally bought Zero Wing for a somewhat decent price. I used to rent this game quite often way back in the day. Still, I can't remember much of it. I love these Toaplan shooters where the power-ups become the enemy. The green power-up is great, but there is always a chance you hover over a less powerful power-up. In Fire Shark (another Toaplan shooter) this happens all the time where you want to keep the red power-up, but the game throws six blue power-ups at you at the same time. Making you dodge power-ups, bullets and enemies. Love it :)

AmyS

damn, that is cool...ive had the game forever & have been meaning to sit down & learn how to properly play it. i got the basics from the CGR review, but still not quite there!

I'm trying to find the issue of CGR that had it.

Er wait, did you mean Computer Game Review magazine or the youtube series / channel Classic Game Room?

lol, I'm guessing the later.

Classic Game Room 2015 review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C19GSXp246M

Classic Game Room HD 4-part video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3EaIIY_gkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lqfoBJK8rg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Spt4X3ACQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_EXZMEpAbM

The PAL version fixes up some of the grammar during the few bits that do have text, as I recall. It doesn't really make the game's plot any more comprehensible, but it's an appreciated effort.

However, it loses the "VISUALSHOCK! SPEEDSHOCK! SOUNDSHOCK! NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!" blurb, so it's obviously inherently worse

That might be worse than the 50hz conversation.

Teknoman

Best thing. Love over the top hype engrish.

C5amdHeVAAAyCZE.jpg

C5ameDSU0AEoqAe.jpg

I finally took a break from Yakuza 0 long enough to start playing Comix Zone today. This game is pretty hard. I love the animation and style. Not sure if I'll be able to beat this without dedicating a lot of time though. Getting hurt by punching obstacles is pretty terrible in my opinion.

wondermega

a bunch of ranting about Herzog Zwei

I don't exactly recall what led me to pick this up back in the day. I was an early Genesis adopter and pretty much madly in love with Thunder Force 2, but I remember seeing the EGM review and it sounded godawful.

Still, there was a bit of a software drought in those early days, and it was not unusual for EGM - wonderful of a magazine as it was, the journalism was sloppy and that's being polite - to take a hard miss on certain things. So I guess I thought "huh well it looks enough like TF2 so it can't possibly be that bad.." Sure enough I got sucked in immediately and my buddy and I fell totally in love with the game. Such a shame that they never released a sequel back in the day.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Got Sunsofts Superman today which I bought blind for its amazing level 5 track
and my fandom of Sunsofts late era Nes-games
, and god damn, this game is brutal. Only managed to get to the second level before it was game over. Anybody ever played this?

Timu

Got Sunsofts Superman today which I bought blind for its amazing level 5 track
and my fandom of Sunsofts late era Nes-games
, and god damn, this game is brutal. Only managed to get to the second level before it was game over. Anybody ever played this?
I did a no death run of that game last year. It's honestly one of the better Superman games out there. After Stage 2 the game gets easier but then gets hard again on the 5th/last stage.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Speaking mostly from NES experience, but Sunsoft's tunes go so hard.

Indeed!

I did a no death run of that game last year. It's honestly one of the better Superman games out there. After Stage 2 the game gets easier but then gets hard again on the 5th/last stage.

You are a machine Timu.

Btw, got to the third level of Comix Zone finally. Yay! Used the rat randomly in a room, and he dug up a health refill for me. That took level 2 from almost impossible to pretty easy actually. So i am certain i should be able to get to level 3 more or less every time.

Galdelico

Still a bit rusty - that final zone kicked me in the nuts so hard... You can tell by looking at my pathetic score - but this is what I've got out of my Sonic playthrough, last night:

SonicTrueEnd_zpsedszewvz.jpg

Game's so good.

(crossposting from the scanline thread)

Top Bottom