• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

shanafan

I didn't know there was a WCW game on SNES. I actually love those animated portraits for the pure comical approach.

I remember WCW Thunder on PS1 had similar animated portraits, and if you hovered over Kevin Nash, I think he said, "I'll snap your neck, you pencil necked freak!" Or something like that. It was great.

Terrible gameplay though obviously.

Really love AVGN, but these recent videos...
The problem with them is quality of games. Treasure Master looks like a normal game, not a garbage for AVGN. And some of wrestling games weren't that bad too.
Recent episodes are more like standard video game reviews, not what I want from AVGN.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I didn't know there was a WCW game on SNES. I actually love those animated portraits for the pure comical approach.

I remember WCW Thunder on PS1 had similar animated portraits, and if you hovered over Kevin Nash, I think he said, "I'll snap your neck, you pencil necked freak!" Or something like that. It was great.

Terrible gameplay though obviously.

That wasn't Nash, that was Brian Adams.

Nash's was the whole "No no, don't pick me, go pick someone else..." thing.

didnt like the last two episodes. felt more like a parody of avgn than actual avgn.
none of the games looked that bad. he didn't explain why its bad. he only showed 1-2 examples of kinda annoying things.

Timu

So not only are we getting the Halloween episode but Mike said there's still more to come with AVGN after that episode. I wonder when and what games could it be.

grim-tales

Thank you :) Will check it out.
ETA: Seen it, from what he said it sounded like "There's more to come from AVGN (in the future)" but he did mention the Halloween episode was coming so I look forward to that.

Timu

Thank you :) Will check it out.
ETA: Seen it, from what he said it sounded like "There's more to come from AVGN (in the future)" but he did mention the Halloween episode was coming so I look forward to that.
Yeah, that's basically it. It seems there will be more AVGN after the Halloween episode.

grim-tales

Yeah, that's basically it. It seems there will be more AVGN after the Halloween episode.

I'm sure if there were plans to end the series, we'd know about it (though originally ROB - Episode 100 - was going to be the finale). AFAIK Mike has said AVGN isn't ending.

Polybius - A possible lead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SBsycMACgs

Kneecapped by Ahoy

Interesting that they posted this on Cinemassacre Plays and not the main site.

In many ways Polybius is the original creepy pasta of video games legends, and possibly one of the oldest ones, depending on if the story originated from 1981. There really is no information on it that has surfaced pre-internet, and the oldest online information can only be tracked back to 1997 from an arcade database website, as pointed out by James.

dickroach

I love this!
clearly a horror episode. breaking it into 10 or however many parts makes it that much more suspenseful.

what if it ends up with the Nerd going into the game like Tron. dude.

grim-tales

What's interesting is that he doesn't seem "in character", I mean, he's dressed like the Nerd, but the delivery and tone is more like James. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Odd that its on the 2nd channel though.

Gifmaker

giphy.gif

sotojuan

Probably a broken record but this thread has 200+ pages so just going to say - in the past few years I think James has overall been trying too hard to sound angry. I know he ran out of games he actually played as a kid a while ago, but lately it seems like he's faking his anger to the max because he believes that's what his fans like (?). It comes off as not genuine.

Ironically, the episodes I like the most are the ones where he's moderately angry but making witty comments and jokes, or saves the rage for one part (Action 52!), or in the ones where he's not angry at all. I did like GameBoy Accessories, though that was a while ago. Part of me wishes he'd drop the Angry part of AVGN, but he seems to enjoy using effects and skits now that he has a better budget. That's fine, just not what I like.

Still, James is a hard worker and although most of his visual humor has been the opposite of my taste since I first watched him in 2008, I can't help but like the guy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom