• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog receives 120 PS4 dev kits

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I gotta laugh a little at the people demanding a new IP from ND. They just put out a new IP like 5 months ago and its extremely unrealistic to expect them to immediately abandon the IP after being wildly successful.

heelo

Banned
Not if the 3rd game is anything to go by.....i think Uncharted has had its time in the sun.

They need to mixed up big time if there are going to make a 4th game

Yeah, as I was finishing up Uncharted 3 (literally, during the jumping sequence) I was thinking that I hoped Uncharted 3 would be the last in the series.

Uncharted 2 was incredible, and really blew me away with its sense of scope and engaging narrative. And although the theme of Drake's recklessness putting Sully's life in danger (and the cheap "Ha-ha, just kidding!" death at the end) struck a chord with me, the gameplay felt a little too tired and the design/scope of the story felt like familiar ground.

They'll make a new one because the $$$ is there to be grabbed, but I won't be overly anxious to play it (unless it's released 3-4 years from now, instead of Winter 2014 / Spring 2015, as I anticipate). Sure, it'll look great on Next Gen, but at this point I think we all need something more than eye candy.

Trickster

I gotta laugh a little at the people demanding a new IP from ND. They just put out a new IP like 5 months ago and its extremely unrealistic to expect them to immediately abandon the IP after being wildly successful.

They're up to 2 teams these days, aren't they?

It's generally only the programmers and Q/A who need the dev kits, as everyone else can see what their contribution looks like with PhotoShop, Maya or whatever authoring tools they're using on the PC. So ND must have a fairly large Q/A contingent.

Feasible if they are temporary contract gigs, no? Whatever the reason, more resources allotted to ND to work its magic is fine by me.

Ding-Ding

It scares me to think what ND can do with the PS4. Especially when you think it was ND/Ice team programmers who wrote the PS4's graphics driver & API.

Hire this man! (also a n Uncharted along similarly fleshed out lines would also be fantastic, I gotta admit if ND'd next gen is super linear again I'll be a tad disappointed they didn't venture forth and conquer non-linear like they have with strictly-linear)

UC seemed like the linear nature was necessary to make the cinematic set pieces play right. I'm not sure how you'd pull that game off open world, woudl start to feel too much like old school tomb raider.

TLoU would work very well though. I've yet to finish it as i'm at
the escape from the university of Eastern Colorado
, but I can see how a non linear, open design could have worked. Imagine if your character arrived at a city, and was given basically the choice between any number of paths, so long as you arrive at the destination. Toss in a more in depth crafting system, more enemies, better AI, etc, and up'd have something special going on.

EvB

UC seemed like the linear nature was necessary to make the cinematic set pieces play right. I'm not sure how you'd pull that game off open world, woudl start to feel too much like old school tomb raider.

TLoU would work very well though. I've yet to finish it as i'm at
the escape from the university of Eastern Colorado
, but I can see how a non linear, open design could have worked. Imagine if your character arrived at a city, and was given basically the choice between any number of paths, so long as you arrive at the destination. Toss in a more in depth crafting system, more enemies, better AI, etc, and up'd have something special going on.

I think Naughty Dog doing an open world game would be off brand. They physically can't can't a game look as good if it's open world.

Kinyou

Don't ruin my day...

multiplayerq2uvn.png

I know, right!?
:'<
never gonna happen
Believe
this is what the forums are for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they got to be making it they had some interest before making TLOU but said it didn't meet their next step standards for a Jak game

so the reason for more devkits is that they are now ready for their
OPEN WORLD JAK game 300+ hours platforming goodness 60fps 1080p with their secret Sony VR headset support!!!!!!!!!!!!

T-T

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I think Naughty Dog doing an open world game would be off brand. They physically can't can't a game look as good if it's open world.
They did fine with Jak & Daxter on that count. Say whatever else you want about those game but visually the open world sequels were a significant improvement over the much more linear first outing. I think in order to stay ahead of the curve they're going to need to consider returning to more open-world design for their fare.

J-Rzez

I'm down with whatever they do, but I'm not going to lie, I direly need Uncharted 4 by them, featuring Nathan Drake again. I don't think Sony will want Uncharted to fade away though, as critically acclaimed as it became.

Five

Banned
I could see a next-gen Uncharted being more or less what Ratchet & Clank was this gen: a bit all of the place, occasionally being a series high point, but overall been too played out.

As far as Jak and Daxter, though I loved the games, I'd prefer to see a spiritual successor than a true sequel: An open world game with fun gunplay, decent platforming and set in a fantasy world.

EVIL

This is team 2's allotment of final dev kits. The team working on a PS4 game has probably had final kits for a long time.

I doubt they had final devkits for a long time since the specs where still up in the air before the PS4 reveal. They would have had devkits, but in a small quantity for a core group. The 120 units are probably for most of the team, to test builds, which means that the game they are working on is getting out of pre-production and is ramping up into production.

PS I doubt they have 2 teams of 120 people, Naughty Dog isn't that big of a studio. I'd say the 120 is for the full company, since allot of people who work there don't need them. (HR, concept artist, writers, etc.)

Salz01

I just want to know what they are working on, I don't need a picture, or gameplay video. I just want to know the title.

Naughty Dog making a MMO would piss me off so damn much.

I consider myself to have pretty diverse tastes, but MMOs can fuck right off.

Where did the MMO talk even come from? I don't think ND has done or said anything at all to indicate that they're interested in making a MMO.

Jotaka

Just a note. ICE Team is one of Sony's World Wide Studios central technology groups.
http://www.worldwidestudios.net/locations/departments

The Global Technology division comprises several teams located in the UK and US

ICE team (based within the Naughty Dog studio in Santa Monica, CA)

Tools and Technology Group based in Foster City, CA

Advanced Technology Group based in the London and Cambridge studios

Online Technology Group, San Diego campus and London Studio.

Services Group, based in San Diego and Foster City

SHIP team, based in Foster City

Relativ9

Liars, there are at least 125 boxes in that photo! Clearly ND cannot be trusted and all future games from them must be boycotted.

Top Bottom