• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erin Moran (Joanie from Happy Days) dead at 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP
She had a rough life. Last time I heard about her, she was on Howard Stern's Channel 9 show where she confessed she was raped by a family member.

Yeah. Also, the "do you want to live in a trailer park anywhere?" comment reminded me that yes, there are some you might want to live in. There are good ones and bad ones. There were three trailer parks around where I lived, and I eventually lived in two of them after high school and during college. A friend eventually moved to the third.

One was a very well maintained park, with named, paved roads, well landcaped property, well lit, etc. As far as mobile home parks go, it was quite nice. I enjoyed living there. (Google image search "nice mobile home parks".)

Another was more middling, but not trashy. Older homes, some in need of repair. Some of the cliche images when people think of trailer parks - old cars out front, poorly built, aging wood decks, not as well maintained property. Generally lower income folks trying to get by, with the occasional sketchy neighbor.

Then there's the one outside of town, that was basically a loosely organized dump with aging mobile homes dotted around it. I feel like the comment was referring to that last one, which is how they tend to get portrayed. That's our collective mental image of trailer parks. But that's very much not how many of them are.

Sorry for the derail, just filling in some context. "mobile home park" tends to conjure one image where there's a pretty wide spectrum. I don't like seeing it used as shorthand for anything. Clearly, she was poor, though.

At any rate, sorry to hear Moran passed so young. I was not aware of her situation after Happy Days - I recognize her from the photos - but life was not kind after the show, it seams. RIP

I grew up in a trailer, but it was in the country on 5 acres of land. I never lived in a park, but there are some nice ones. Hell, the last few years we were renting a small house and paying $1100 a month. Meanwhile a coworker was renting a prefab home in a park and was only paying $750 a month. Wish I would have considered it.

OT. Sad to see someone die so young.

eso76

Apart from being an insufferable cunt?

Being in Europe I only know him from happy days and Charle's in charge or whatever and i kind of liked him there, always thought he looked like a nice guy so this is disappointing.
Had no idea he supports Trump or that he's still somewhat relevant there; absolutely nothing he did or said made it to our country ​in the past 25 years or so. I think i might be one of the 6 persons who still remember him.

How is he an insufferable cunt besides the trump thing ?

(ok, found out he's one giant racist asshole. Disappointing)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Back then royalties from syndication didnt really exist. So once the show was over no cash flow.

Sad..

Sure, but one of my buddies from my previous job is a close friend of someone who had one popular show in the '60s and has coasted off his semi-celebrity since.

Mascot

Kadin

So apparently it looks as though she died from complications of Stage 4 cancer.

Fuck cancer so much. My dad was diagnosed Stage 3B colon cancer 2 years ago but luckily after radiation, chemo and then surgery to remove the mass (which was benign when removed), he's been in remission. Not a day goes by I don't worry about it returning.

Anyways, sorry to ramble on about that, here's the info from CNN.

Former "Happy Days" child star Erin Moran, 56, likely died from complications of Stage 4 cancer, the Harrison County (Indiana) Sheriff's Department and medical examiner said Monday in a joint statement.

"A subsequent autopsy revealed that Mrs. Moran likely succumbed to complications of Stage 4 cancer," the statement said.

Linkura

Shocking news: Scott Baio is an asshole. She died from cancer, not drugs/alcohol, you right-wing douchebag.

http://toofab.com/2017/04/24/happy-...-death-you-do-drugs-or-drink-youre-gonna-die/

"My thing is, I feel bad because her whole life, she was troubled, could never find what made her happy and content. For me, you do drugs or drink, you're gonna die."

The Harrison County Sheriff's Office said Monday that a "joint investigation into Mrs. Moran's death was conducted" and "a subsequent autopsy revealed that Mrs. Moran likely succumbed to complications of stage 4 cancer." The results of a toxicology test are still pending, but no illegal narcotics were found at her home.

"I knew Erin well, over the last many years I have not spoken with her," Baio continued. "She was just an insecure human being and fell into this world of drugs and alcohol. Again, I don't know if that’s what killed her, I'm sure it was a culmination of years and years of doing it that might have had something to do with it. She just never found her way."

If "you do drugs or drink, you're gonna die?" Guess what, Scott, you're going to die regardless. We aren't immortal, asshat.

Strike

Shocking news: Scott Baio is an asshole. She died from cancer, not drugs/alcohol, you right-wing douchebag.

http://toofab.com/2017/04/24/happy-...-death-you-do-drugs-or-drink-youre-gonna-die/

If "you do drugs or drink, you're gonna die?" Guess what, Scott, you're going to die regardless. We aren't immortal, asshat.
Piece of shit. I remember him saying this in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter last year:
How about Erin Moran? When’s the last time you've seen her?

A long time ago, thank God. She’s got her own problems that I don’t want to deal with.

jb1234

Yeah, you can tell Baio is one of those assholes who just loves to stand on his parapet of righteousness and judge others. Fuck off.

Kadin

Just started listening to that interview with him and he just came out swinging saying he wasn't really THAT surprised that this happened and then into the part you quoted. Saying he's sorry if that's cold is just bullshit, he's not sorry and he's using her death to push his beliefs. What an absolute piece of shit.

Chuckie

when did yall first realize this? I'm just learning now.

When I was a kid, watching reruns in the mid to late 80's... always thought it took place at the time setting they film in. Didn't help I had a black and white TV when first coming to the country...lol.

I realised when I found out Ted McGinley seemed to not have aged at all in Married with Children and Love Boat

Linkura

Erin Moran's brother going in on Scott Baio:

0425-tony-moran-scott-baio-facebook-dig-2.jpg

http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/25/scott-baio-threatened-erin-moran-brother/

Amazing.

Meanwhile, Scott Baio doubling down and calling people who went in on him liberals:
http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/25/scott-baio-erin-moran-drug-backlash-political-trump/

Scott Baio thinks much of the backlash he's gotten for his comments about Erin Moran's drug issues is driven by his ties to Donald Trump.
Scott told us liberals have been attacking him for linking his former co-star's death to a drug overdose during a radio interview -- but says his haters' political biases are seeping through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom