• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

shink

Just saw it. Not quite as good as the first and wasn't too fond of the villain/s either but it was overall an entertaining movie. Music selection is still top notch.

Kurdel

Banned
Just saw it. Not quite as good as the first and wasn't too fond of the villain/s either but it was overall an entertaining movie. Music selection is still top notch.

Come on, this is a spoiler thread!

What were the villains and their goals?

duckroll

1. duder practising how to whistle the arrow and hit drax accidentally

1. that duder, his loyal ravager lieutenant or something. i forgot his name...

1. One of the ravagers, the hick guy.

1. His second in command from the first movie, not sure what his name was, sorry :/

Roflmao. Poor bastard. Gets a credits scene and no one even cares who he is.

Hamlet

That was a lot of fun. Just had a great sense of fun and vibrancy throughout the whole thing and the emotional side of things was done well enough. Even though some of them did lack a bit of impact to them. Story was a tad bit too cluttered at times too.
Not too many surprising things apart from the reveal that Ego had put the tumour in Quill's mum. Pretty big reaction from my audience at that scene.
Really dug the music as usual.
Great music as usual.
So James' brother, Sean Gunn, is the duder everyone is referring to right?

Yep. He has a much more substantial role in this film compared to the previous one. The mid credits scene gag of him accidentally piercing drax with the whistle arrow thing was hilarious.

shink

Sorry. There's the Sovereign people that continually try and kill the team after Rocket steals batteries from them. The stakes don't feel that high since all of their ships are auto piloted from their planet and they can just keep coming back. I understand the feeling of being wronged by the people they hired but I thought they went through a lot of effort with no return for just that one thing.

The main villain being Ego. I liked his character but the reveal of his intentions to make the universe 'bits of him' and the final battle fell a bit flat to me. Like after they 'kill' his human entity, he becomes this 'being' with all these tentacle-like hands and I feel when it takes the form of this giant being it just seems like any other villain.

The Ravagers/Yondu disagreements on how to deal with the Guardians worked well to setup Yondu's redemption though.

Hamlet

Ego wanted to assimilate/destroy? life around the universe and cover the planets in himself(Blue jelly)? because other life was so very disappointing or something to him, but he needed another Celestial to help him accomplish it. So he then went on a fuck quest around the universe trying to make a kid who had Celestial powers or something and had Yondu deliver them to him. He killed them all as they didn't have the powers and put their bones in a nice big convenient hole.
Hence why Yondu didn't end up delivering Quill to him in the first place. Peter Quill is the only one of his offspring who has the celestial abilities and Ego tries to convince him to join him. He then reveals that he put the tumour in Quill's mum and yeah that doesn't go down well with Quill. He also crushes the sony walkman at some point during his turning dark moment.
Gold people just pissed because the Guardians stole some batteries from them.
Tazerface heh sick of Yondu protecting Quill and starts a mutiny. Sorta just a joke villain to laugh at his name.

Does Ego (as the planet) have a face?
xNfVCHF.png

I need to know.

Hamlet

What did people thing of the deaging cgi of Kurt Russell at the start. Just looked really off and weird to me compared to the efforts done in Ant-Man and Civil War which I thought were done pretty well in those.
Does Ego (as the planet) have a face?
xNfVCHF.png

I need to know.

Yeah they show his face on the planet a couple of times. Though brief and only after he's done his evil turn. Also turns into David Hasselhoff at one point.

Kurdel

Banned
Thanks for the summaries guys!

I am a bit bothered that they seem to use the the term "Celestial" to qualify him, but whatever it all sounds great!

The Watchers have me hyped. Having one just pop up during Infinity War will be amazing.

Just got back from it. Really liked it. This is probably the first MCU movie I went into spoiler free so I got a kick out of seeing the Watchers.

Honestly, sounds like a way better and more hateful villain than Ronan was. They really fucked Ronan up.

IMO, whatever shortcomings in the characterization of Ronan, the character was cemented as a joke because of the danceoff bro scene. Luckily nothing like that here.

JMizzlin

Just got back from it. Random notes:

- Way too much baby Groot.
- I felt as if it tried very hard but wasn't quite sure of what it was doing.
- Got a bit too big for itself, especially after a jumbled start.
- Humour felt very forced. Drax got old real quick. Heaps of sex jokes, just as many slapstick jokes.
- Unintentionally hilarious argument between two, uh, unique dialects during a snow scene.
- Didn't feel like it needed to exist as it didn't seem to have much of a connection to what the greater MCU is amounting to, but hey, it's a Guardians romp. Going to be interesting to see what they do with Thanos as they're really putting him off.

I don't want to sound too negative, but it just really didn't do it for me. I didn't hype it because I was pretty cautious as the marketing wasn't hitting it for me, so I didn't go in with massive expectations.
It'll sell gangbusters, people will have a laugh at it. It's just nowhere near the first movie and I think a lot of people, even those who love this sequel, will share that sentiment.

Happy to answer any questions!

Replicant

Yeah it was a bit like Guardians 1.5. I recognise the theme of family continues here but other than that it felt like it didn't go far enough for the series.

I think the fact that the villain is his dad takes the intensity a bit down too. Although it ended in patricide, I never felt the battle was Quill to lose.

I did like the part where Yondu points out how Rocket push away people who cares about him. It struck hard down as I've experienced it and unlike Peter I didn't have the strength to stay and fight for my friend.

Alienfan

Positives
* film looks amazing, a jaw dropping mix of psychedelic 70's sci-fi influences. Bright, colourful and creative visuals, even if 80% of the movie is based on this one planet, it all looks great!
*The characters are all developed nicely (thanks largely to the foundations created in the first film). Each have their own standalone "missions" that very much follow the same theme of family and wanting acceptance.

Negatives
* Some jokes go on for way longer than they should (Baby Groot) and lend to the slapstick far too often.
MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT IS THE TONE copying what I said in another thread. The tone was all over the place, the humour mostly landed, but the emotional scenes all fell flat. It was like the movie was too afraid of letting the audience feel anything other than laughter, even during pivotal emotional scenes they wouldn't let go on for more than 30seconds before cutting in with some inappropriate lame joke. It's a shame because removing those few shit jokes that were awkwardly placed during those few dramatic scenes would have balanced everything perfectly. Instead the movie comes off as a worse Guardians of the galaxy 1 at its best and a Adam Sandler movie at its worst.

Oh and the "He may be your father but I'm your Dad" line needed another take, man it was bad

Fully expecting that 90% on RT to drop bellow 80%, maybe hitting the low 70's.

CloudWolf

It's interesting how a lot of the reviews mention a lack of consistency in tone as one of the negatives, because that's exactly why I don't really enjoy the first one. One second it would be a serious action flick with some humor thrown in, the next it would try to be a full-on slapstick comedy (Dance battle! Woo!). I'll probably go see the second one, but the fact that reviewers are pointing it out, concerns me because that probably means the tone is even less consistent than in the first.

What did people thing of the deaging cgi of Kurt Russell at the start. Just looked really off and weird to me compared to the efforts done in Ant-Man and Civil War which I thought were done pretty well in those.

Yeah they show his face on the planet a couple of times. Though brief and only after he's done his evil turn. Also turns into David Hasselhoff at one point.

Hasselhoff in his prime would have been my Beyonder.

Dalek

So Watchers in the MCU is a pretty big deal right? I swear they were confirmed to be under Fox's film rights in the past.

So Watchers in the MCU is a pretty big deal right? I swear they were confirmed to be under Fox's film rights in the past.

Yeah. The implications are pretty huge for this one. It could be that they got a deal for Fox to use a character they couldn't before (like changing powers on Negasonic Teenage Warhead) or something else entirely.

YO HOLD UP.

You're telling me I'm getting:

Ego the Living Planet / Hasselhoff

Original GotG team with Sylvester Stallone

ADAM FUCKING WARLOCK

STAN LEE AS A WATCHER

I came here for spoilers and boy howdy I am not disappointed.

Quick

Banned
YO HOLD UP.

You're telling me I'm getting:

Ego the Living Planet / Hasselhoff

Original GotG team with Sylvester Stallone

ADAM FUCKING WARLOCK

STAN LEE AS A WATCHER

I came here for spoilers and boy howdy I am not disappointed.

Bruh we eatin spoilers tonight

Kurdel

Banned
They didn't even cast him yet. He has no role.

No, you have no role!

I just read that it's one of the post credits where gold lady from the trailer look at a cocoon and talks about making a perfect being and naming him Adam. Is it a retcon if the cocoon easter egg from the Collector wasn't Warlock?

Dalek

Everything I've read about The Watcher's film rights suggests that Fox owned them. They owned Galactus and Silver Surfer-so it would make sense that they would own The Watcher.

So either Marvel has the Fantastic Four rights back-or The Watcher was part of the deal that they made with Fox to get Ego The Living Planet.

Garlador

Everything I've read about The Watcher's film rights suggests that Fox owned them. They owned Galactus and Silver Surfer-so it would make sense that they would own The Watcher.

So either Marvel has the Fantastic Four rights back-or The Watcher was part of the deal that they made with Fox to get Ego The Living Planet.
We all want Marvel to have these rights back SO bad.....

The Giant

Banned

Well Fox had to give something back to Marvel to get the rights for X Men tv showa.

Top Bottom