• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Delta passenger said he was kicked off a plane for using the restroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

I see no where in those links where the pilot comes out like an angry father and says "hey everyone, because of this guy, we have to turn the plane around. you're all inconvenienced because of Mr. Rulebreaker here, in seat 37B"

then they pull up to the curb where some dude holds up a lollypop "come on boss, come off the plane. We just wanna talk, boss. Gotcha a lolly right here. See? Its all gonna be ok." Then they grab him, and the plane flies off without him. And they probably took his unsafe urine with them.

ColdPizza

Banned
I seriously drink as little as humanly possible on flight days. That means also no caffeine or alcohol or any other diuretics.

Mesousa

Banned
I see no where in those links where the pilot comes out like an angry father and says "hey everyone, because of this guy, we have to turn the plane around. you're all inconvenienced because of Mr. Rulebreaker here, in seat 37B"

then they pull up to the curb where some dude holds up a lollypop "come on boss, come off the plane. We just wanna talk, boss. Gotcha a lolly right here. See? Its all gonna be ok." Then they grab him, and the plane flies off without him. And they probably took his unsafe urine with them.

If he went up the first time the first guy asked him there was a pretty good chance he would have been able to remain on the flight. Would have been a quick "The rules are this, whats going on?" talk and it would have been over. He made it hard by not even trying to listen to the staff.

Delta handled it superbly though. Best in class, and the best Airline in America by far.

It's irrelevant and if this sort of thing gets a news story every time it happens, people are likely to pay less and less attention to actual things that need to be addressed. So, yeah. It's kinda shitty that a total nothing story got picked up by the WaPo. You are straight up told to not use the restroom while the plane is on the tarmac. He broke a rule and was calmly asked to leave the plane. What's the big deal?

Posts like these are a little glimpse into how easy it is to accept authoritarianism. "They asked nicely to oppress us, so I don't see the point in acting unreasonable about it."

Cool.

akira28

If he went up the first time the first guy asked him there was a pretty good chance he would have been able to remain on the flight. Would have been a quick "The rules are this, whats going on?" talk and it would have been over. He made it hard by not even trying to listen to the staff.

Delta handled it superbly though. Best in class, and the best Airline in America by far.

that's a reasonable guess. that they were originally telling the truth, that he was seriously only going to have a word with the security agent off the plane. but that's clearly not what happened.

but you are right. They didn't beat him bloody or anything.

Every flight I've been on has had people using the bathroom while waiting to taxi and some while taxiing.

Depends on whether or not the attendants like you or not, that's it

Deepwater

Posts like these are a little glimpse into how easy it is to accept authoritarianism. "They asked nicely to oppress us, so I don't see the point in acting unreasonable about it."

Cool.

It's actually pretty scary on how many people on here, even if we're keeping the context to bad airline situations threads like these, immediately defer to a rule, law, or statute when some unreasonable shit goes down.

It is. Every single time during the safety briefing.
Not using the bathroom prior to takeoff is never mentioned in the safety briefing.

It's generally understood, but it's not really mentioned at all. And shit gets co placated with tarmac delays, etc. for people who really need to go.

Seatbelt signs in my experience have been treated as a suggestion. So like if someone needs to get up, FAs will suggest sitting down, but they won't do much from stopping you from going to the bathroom. And they'll never give affirmative permission as long as it is lighted, they'll just repeat the suggestion. But that's Southwest.

Syriel

Policy should never be so rigid that you can't work within the confines of reasonable accommodation. Stop treating passengers like cattle.

Policy is rigid because when things go wrong, the default answer is to lay blame and sue.

• Make an exception, nothing happens, no harm, no foul.
  • Make an exception, customer is injured, then sues airline for letting him do X thing which they knew was dangerous because there was a regulation against it, etc.

If the plane was on an active taxiway it's on him. If it was disconnected from the gate, it's on him. If he disobeyed a flight attendant or a flight officer it's on him.

The disconnected from the gate thing is key to how FAA regs are applied.

Once the door is closed, the plane is considered in-flight and stricter rules apply.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
No one comes out looking good in this:

It's common sense to go to the bathroom before boarding.

To those saying, there should have been a sign. It is stated during the safety procedures which by this point they would have done.

He then gets told he can't, then does it anyway.

A passenger can and will cause a delay if the pilot or flight control are not comfortable taking off because a passenger is out of their seat. This can cause fines that aren't that little in size too.

You are not supposed to get out of your seat while taxiing, even if the plane isn't moving. Unless your plane is put in "the penalty box" the engines are still on and it is ready to move when given signal. It's the law to stay in your seat because the most dangerous time to be in an airplane is when it is on the runway. You can call it social engineering too if you want since it is also to prevent 10 jackasses from getting up to go to the bathroom when the plane is ready to take off.

That said:

Delta was EXTREMELY fucking petty to delay passengers a good 1.5 - 2 hours by bringing the plane back.

This is completely different from the United Airlines story.

Thus does every jackass who gets kicked off a plane for disobeying the simplest of rules get a new story. Hell yeah.

pee-wee-eyeroll-o.gif

cgcg

If the plane was on an active taxiway it's on him. If it was disconnected from the gate, it's on him. If he disobeyed a flight attendant or a flight officer it's on him.

I know what you mean bro. He should've pissed on the seat and have everyone enjoy the golden shower. Imagine if he had to take a shit? Brownies for everyone. Hi-five

Yeah, this dude should have just gotten off of the plane after the dude explained to him the protocol.

So many points here and I don't feel like putting them in chronological order so here goes:

First off, we'd all like to empathize with the guy and say "aw, he has to get back to teach some kids," but after working at the airport for 5 years I can clearly tell you that "people are liars." He could have been telling the truth but you can't take what people say at face value anymore.

Secondly, this was obviously in their standard operating procedures. The way it was handled was admirable, in my opinion. The pilot shouldn't have announced that they had to go back to the gate to "return a passenger" or whatever, that part was unnecessary. I'm sure he could have worded it much better. Other than that, after the guy with the reflector garment on came and broke it down for homeboy, dude should have just got off.
These employees are not going to risk their jobs just to accommodate this one guy that was told to wait until after they were in the air.
Most jobs, especially those involving the security of an aluminum tube flying through the air, are pretty strict about security procedures regarding said tube.

Lastly, after working for airport security for 5 years, I can safely say that running to the restroom after someone told you not to AND THEN refusing to get off the plane after being told to multiple times is SUSPICIOUS AF.

I don't care if you're black white brown or turquoise, that shit is suspect.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Yeah,

Using the restroom during boarding is fine. If the plane is in line to take off you can't move. Especially when the crew told you that you have to wait multiple times.

It means the pilot can't give the ready for takeoff to the tower and it holds the plane up because being in the bathroom or standing during takeoff can be dangerous to him and the passengers around him.

Still, not sure it was worth deplaning and reboarding over. Probably should have taken off and told him he done goofed later

Who knows, the tower may have said something when the pilot removed the ready for takeoff on the plane.

SmokeMaxX

I guess I'm cynical but first thing I thought of was "oh this guy is trying to get paid like the other guy". Situation sounds super shady. Guess it's possible he just really had to go, but we can't just let people take advantage of companies just because of the United incident.

Or maybe pax can realize the airlines are under direct orders of the government with what people can do during that time. All they really were gonna do was bring him to the front, tell him not to do it again, and brought him back. He made it a big issue, and he gave people crap who had no say in the rules established by the higher ups.

His selfishness screwed everybody over.

The first thing they did is ask him to get off the plane to talk

Mesousa

Banned
that's a reasonable guess. that they were originally telling the truth, that he was seriously only going to have a word with the security agent off the plane. but that's clearly not what happened.

but you are right. They didn't beat him bloody or anything.

It definitely didnt happen because he held it up with his excuses and outright refusal to listen to the workers.

The first thing they did is ask him to get off the plane to talk

They originally wanted him to come to the front so they could assess the situation. When he made a bigger deal out of it, and held the plane up even longer, he pretty much made it official he was getting booted off the plane

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Also, it's possible they had to deboard the plane. If they had been on the runway too long they are required to deplane.

So it's possible the guy arguing forced the deplane.

Not sure.

They still should have just chastised him and put him on some sort of shit customer list but taken off.

akira28

I am on a plane right now and someone just got up to use the bathroom while we're taxiing. What's next GAF?

that big red cord above the window? pull it as hard as you can. that alerts the pilot that he must stop, and alerts crew staff that there is an incident.

he might be dropping bombs in there. He could be lighting the whole dang thing on fire in there.

wedca

I am on a plane right now and someone just got up to use the bathroom while we're taxiing. What's next GAF?

Try to lock eyes with an airmarshall, look for the bulge of a concealed firearm around the ankle area to locate one, and motion emphatically with your head and eyes towards the offender.

I've used the WC before take off and after landing, just ask a steward 1st. Although I've never flown with these crazy us airlines that seem to hate their passengers.

A man just physically recoiled at the site of a Michael Kors commercial that was keeping him from his CNN. Then he muttered, "Stupid shit, come on with this shit," under his breath.

This flight will be a delight!

How are there so many stupid people in this thread when not a single person defended United?

They were thirty minutes on the tarmac with no end in sight. The other poster was right, he should have pissed himself and sued.

I've done worse years ago. I was having diarrhea, properly sick, and had to use the lavatory. I couldn't get out before takeoff and the plane went up in the air haha! It was amazing, you realise how rickety that part of the plane is, like a rollercoaster! I got told off but it was hilarious to me cause it was an emergency. Once in a lifetime experience.

Wasn't kicked off, but then it wasn't these American super paranoid nitpicky security theatre airlines.

addik

There was a guy in one of the local plane rides I was on who was in the lavatory during landing. The plane was already doing the sharp turns and we saw him come out of the lavatory looking very loss. obviously, everyone looked at him and you could see him getting flustered, so he went back in the lavatory and came back out when we've had completely landed. lol. that was totally bizarre.

Not sure why, just wanted to share that anecdote. lol. Luckily, this was already landing so the airline couldn't do much about it. And it's not one of those absurdly strict airlines too.

I guess I'm cynical but first thing I thought of was "oh this guy is trying to get paid like the other guy". Situation sounds super shady. Guess it's possible he just really had to go, but we can't just let people take advantage of companies just because of the United incident.
Did I miss a follow up on the doctor? He was just trying to get paid? Was his bleeding face staged? Huh?

I can count on one hand the number of times I've peed on a plane. I usually just hold it until I land but I always go before boarding. Them tiny little toilets are not worth the effort required to use them. It's also the reason why I never drink alcohol on planes, alcohol makes me pee like crazy.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Eh just an unfortunate situation all around. I do sympathise with the guy as I recently had to rush onto a connecting flight due to a delay with out getting a chance to piss and I thought I was going to have an accident sitting there waiting to taxi and take off.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Friend of mine had to hold it in till she nearly peed her pants, the plane was ready for landing and she needed to go but they wouldn't let her, the plane kept on circling awaiting the authorisation to land for ages.

It's "trying to get paid, like the other guy was paid" not "trying to get paid, like the other guy tried".
I think.
Probably you're right, but that post gives a whiff that people are now out against airlines for money after the incident despite there having been about a dozen United incidents beforehand.

CSJ

Hold up, he was asked to speak outside.
So they were stationary and in a position to leave the aircraft, but they wouldn't let him piss?

Come the fuck on.

Not everyone has perfect bladder control, I don't; I always go before events like these but sometimes I have problems where I need to go a few more times within the next 20minutes or so. :/

Probably you're right, but that post gives a whiff that people are now out against airlines for money after the incident despite there having been about a dozen United incidents beforehand.

But I'm sure that's the case for some people.
Sounds like grade A inspiration for greedy assholes to me.. Of course, we shouldn't assume stuff, but the idea of a big settlement is bound to attract douchebags.

I understand that the thought of accidentally mislabeling a victim as a scam artist is very unpleasant, but sadly, people suck.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
If anything, this article just shows how far we as a species have yet to go.

The fact that we have the ability to travel off world, can communicate near instantaneously with people on the other side of the planet, and yet we still are hampered by our need to urinate and defecate, like farm animals? That these biological processes still weigh so heavily upon us is evidence that we are still so far from conquering the stars.

Look at Star Trek. Look at all our brave federation officers. Do you see them squatting to shit or piss? Or even mentioning it as a need? When was the scene in The Next Generation where Captain John Luc Picard had to delay an important negotiation with the Cardassians because he felt the urge to go poo poo pee pee? Never, that's when.

If we are to move forwards as a people, as a species, these foul expulsions need to be reigned in and made subservient, if not eliminated completely, the way we have solved so many of our problems in the past.

Hold up, he was asked to speak outside.
So they were stationary and in a position to leave the aircraft, but they wouldn't let him piss?

Come the fuck on.

Not everyone has perfect bladder control, I don't; I always go before events like these but sometimes I have problems where I need to go a few more times within the next 20minutes or so. :/

No, you are compressing the timeline. They were ready to takeoff, but couldn't because the guy was in the bathroom. So, they returned to the gate to have him removed.

GatorBait

What if it was an old lady who had medical problems and was about to have explosive diarrhea?

I bet the issue with this guy was partly him acting possibly suspicious (gets up, sits down, gets back up, etc.) and being difficult when questioned. "Authority figures" (e.g., company representatives, law enforcement officials) really need to start doing a better job treating people like human beings though.

The issue is physics. If they take off while dude isn't restrained in his seat, he will get knocked off his ass to the back of the plane and hurt himself and or someone else.

People gotta be in their seats during that period right before they take off. The entire airport shouldn't be delayed because this fool didn't think it through to take a piss before he got on the plane or before it pulled away from the gate.

akira28

The issue is physics. If they take off while dude isn't restrained in his seat, he will get knocked off his ass to the back of the plane and hurt himself and or someone else.

People gotta be in their seats during that period right before they take off. The entire airport shouldn't be delayed because this fool didn't think it through to take a piss before he got on the plane or before it pulled away from the gate.

hot takes for breakfast? got any maple whut?

Tigress

First of all, they have a passenger that has shown he cannot follow directions and will ignore rules told to him. They have no idea if he'll suddenly need to go again right before they take off. Even if he already is back in his seat, he's proven that they cannot trust him to pay attention to the rules that they have to have him follow.

And yes, by rules they are not allowed to have some one walking around while waiting in line. Sure, the plane has been sitting for 30 minutes, but he has no way of knowing when that plane is going to start moving. The whole reason they cannot have people standing while waiting in line is because they don't have a set schedule of "in ten minutes we'll be moving". It's not that predictable (my husband pilots a small plane and while not on that scale when we are in a line there is no way of telling how long it could be. We could get jumped up in line especially as ATC knows him at the airport and will jump him ahead in line cause they know he will get off the ground quickly. We could have to wait cause of an emergency landing. We could get out faster cause some one aborts their landing and we don't have to wait for them to land and get off the runway). Now they have some one up and walking and told that they can take off and have to say, "Oh, nevermind, we can't cause this guy just got up". Creating a whole mess in line (either every plane behind them has to wait and be delayed while they wait for who knows how long he'll take or they have to take this huge vehicle with long wings extending from it and try to mvoe it out of the way... and they may have no place to put it. Did you know there are more planes than gates at airports for them to sit at?).

I will quote an airline attendant from Jetblue who commented on this story on FB:

I understand when you gotta go you gotta go but from a different point of view.... this plane was on an "Active Taxi way" and waiting in line for take off. Sometimes they say we might be in line for 10minutes and sometimes they change it and announce in less time that we are next. If we have someone that is in the bathroom or out of their seat we have to quickly call the captain to let them know because at this point the cabin is not secure or not ready for take off. Now the captain has to figure out how to get this giant plane out of the way (this is like being at a red light in traffic and trying to get into another lane but you're driving a huge truck in between a bunch of more huge trucks)

Now we return back to the gate, possibly hold up another plane in the runway because they don't have a gate to park at, we could get fined thousands of dollars and have a domino effect of delays. All because people have to get up or use the bathroom at last minute or get out of their seat for any reason. Something that people think is so small or minimal has a greater effect then what you think. We give passengers instructions for "THEIR" safety as well as the safety of everyone else and not just because we want to be a pain to you.

Moral of the story..... Please use the bathroom before boarding, have whatever you need next to you (without blocking your or anyone else to exit the plane in case of emergency) and when the captain thinks it's "safe" to walk about the cabin he will turn off the seatbelt sign.

Fly safe everyone and know that we are there to serve you, that you have a great experience traveling but most importantly for your safety.

And btw, it's not authoritarian to have rules. And if you are going to say, "What if he has some medical issue and can't hold it?" Well, then he needs to figure out how to get around taht (or see if he can work with them to find a solution). But sometimes, that just means you cannot fly. Did you know the airline is not under law to accomodate every disability because it simply is not feasable/possible for them to and do so safely. If it truly was that bad he should have tried to get them to realize he could not hold it. If it was so bad he couldn't wait, I guess he did the right thing but that doesn't mean they didn't do the right thing in kicking him off either. Sometimes shit (or pee ;) ) happens.

digdug2k

Lol. I can't believe people on here are actually advocating for passengers to just piss themselves. But I'm sure there won't be any lawsuits over forcing them to do that. :)

It's called an emergency. They happen. It's an appropriate time to break rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom