• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Losing the concept of time as you age

Status
Not open for further replies.

womfalcs3

Banned
I'm the opposite. If I look at pictures of events that took place 4 or 5 years ago, I think those events happened in the distant past. I forget easily.

The last 10 years feel like a blur to me as well. I think as we age, the amount of our new experiences become less frequent. Our life becomes repetetive, which adds to our perception of time going by faster. At least that's what I tell mysel :lol

People with XxX_BootYSLaYer98_xXx usernames are no longer literal children.

Please don't post my personal information like that.

Time seems to go faster the more I get older, but it just makes me want to do everything I want to in life while I can.

Raiden

Banned
I read somewhere that your perception of time is directly linked to learning new things. As a kid every day you learn something new, as an adult you are exposed to less new things and as a result your brain saves space by removing stuff non-essential. That's why days, weeks or months merge together some times.

Im going to die at an alarming rate when i continue with my jon then.

MilkyJoe

It only gets worse.

My Nan, she died last year aged 86, she told me to do things with your life, it's routine that makes time fly. I can say from personal experience, that the last 10 years have flown for me. This is what a 9-5 job does to a person.

Also boring routine blurs your memories into one grey paste.

Just like this

I mean, when I was 10 there was less life to be confused by. I still do have problems placing events in my childhood unless there's a really obvious market somewhere in there. A lot of memories where I'm like "Was I 8, or 12?" But you also have other advantages, because most of your early life is strictly signposted and was shaken up my massive changes that are easy to track. Memories about school are super duper easy to place because every year of school was highly unique, different classes, teachers, and friends. Memories of playing over summer are much harder to differentiate. As an adult I like to regularly update my mental database of years that movies, games, historical events etc took place in or came out in, because it helps me signpost for my own memories.

Yep use the same technique.

Doc_Drop

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

The working week doesn't help. You race through the week looking forward to the weekend then you suddenly realise it's 10 years later.
This is ringing a bell in my head but I can't place it

Yeah. I finally got around to watching the new Rocky movie. You know, Rocky Balboa? I thought that were milking things a bit by following it up with Creed so soon.

Yeah I watched that and then saw it was from like 2006 or something. So 11 years later I see it and still think of it as the new Rocky movie.

Edit: on the other hand, time still doesn't move fast enough when I don't want to be at work...

AP90

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

The working week doesn't help. You race through the week looking forward to the weekend then you suddenly realise it's 10 years later.

This.

Feel like a 4 day work week would help. Take Wednesday off in the middle of the week to recharge and to make the weekend feel less crammed/packed.

Mr Swine

Banned
Worst thing of all is how fast the days go by. A whole week when I was a wee lad felt like it took a week to go by (no pun intended), now it feels like it's like a day or two and then we are into the new week.

Heck looking how many weeks we have in a year right it scares me to think that this year is soon over again. When I was a kid a year felt like ages to go by, now it feels like nothing

J-Roderton

Sometimes I go back and look at my xbox achievements and most of them have the date that I had unlocked them. It's like, holy shit, I haven't played Halo 3 in years. Seems like yesterday I was grinding away at it.

:(

Get a kid. Your life will go by even faster... it seems.
I know exactly what you mean. Time seems to go by real fucking fast when you're older.

Afrikan

I swear I lose 15mins of my life when I'm in the shower.

It only happens when I think about something, instead of just washing up and getting out. If I think about anything... next thing you know I lost 15mins... even though I swear it was only a few minutes.

shit is weird and annoying.

but yeah, the past few years (35 now) I've been losing track of time...and have been forgetful.

I just figure it's because I am out of shape (usually 165, weigh 185 now) and I over analyze almost everything.

edit- one reason I play Madden Football. To make sure I still have my quick muscle memory and reflexes. I still do.

Yeah I feel like each year of my childhood up until I was 18 was very distinct. I recently turned 24 and the last 5 years have gone by in a blur.

I think part of it was that when you're younger you have school to break up each year, as well as you keep discovering new friends and hobbies. Each year of my childhood/teenage years was different. Over the last 4 years I've had the same job with the same schedule and the same hobbies when I'm not at work. So it's all just one big mush pile in my brain.

Xun

I guess taking more vacations or doing crazy things like skydiving is one way to combat this and make new integral memories.
Pretty much.

2015 for example went by incredibly slowly for me, but I learnt and did so much in that year. It was fantastic.

Last year simply whizzed by.

This year should (hopefully) be different since I have a lot more planned.

begs the question if you could extend your life in the future through biotech of some sort, but this phenomenon doesn't go away, what would be the end result?

As you get older, you take on more responsibilities and your life becomes more and more rationalized, affecting your perception of time's passing. When you're a child, your days are often spent looking towards a handful of self-interested, sparse and relatively distant events (birthdays, video game releases, movie releases, holidays, weekends etc.). Your constant anticipation of these events keep you constantly mindful of time passing, much to your vexation.

As you take on more responsibilities, imperative events increase 1000x (family matters, bill payments, work schedules, work projects, dating, self-fulfillment activities etc.) to the point that you can't even be conscious of them all at one time. This affects your perception of time in a very different way, because there's always a fresh imperative event right around the corner after the last one, often making it impossible to be conscious of time's passing. Much to your vexation.

Like Lorentz contraction and Time Dilation as a social fact, rather than a natural one.

DonMigs85

begs the question if you could extend your life in the future through biotech of some sort, but this phenomenon doesn't go away, what would be the end result?
Yeah I would think the brain would discard even more memories it deems non-essential. You might need to start a journal/diary or something

Lego Boss

It gets worse as you get older

I'm 43 this week, and it feels like my fast forward button is stuck down.

I know you're going to Japan soon. When you're there, you'll be surprised as time seems much slower.

It's not the country per se, but the fact you will have lots of new experieces. I think this is how we perceive time as children: as a succession of new instances. As we get older these don't happen as often, but when they do, percpetion of time slows down.

Just a theory, but see if it's true . . . .

i think it has less to do with time and more to do with how your life is. for instance, the guy who said he can't remember what year movies came out in. i bet you've been living in the same place, possibly same job, etc for a long time. the more change i have in life the easier it is to undistinct the 'blur', for instances things that happened to me the year i lived in pittsburgh i can easily pinpoint versus things that happened when i worked the same job, lived in the same place for years. gotta mix it up a little bit if this is really annoying you.

edit: didn't read it before but lego right above me is on the same train of thought

Pachinko

Yup , years go by like months used to. Oddly enough , wasting time playing video games is one of the few ways I've found to slow down my perception of time . The effect only works during a play session though and only affects hours. Days and weeks still drip by like nothing.

Age 2-12 felt absolutely massive , 13-18 still pretty big. 19-24 a bit smaller ... 25-30 a bit smaller ... 31-34(now) has felt like nothing. I routinely get thrown off just considering that I've been out of school for more years than I was in school.

Time perception mixed with a big standard routine I guess.

Anoxida

I found that waiting for your next payday makes time go faster. Or waiting for the end of the week. In my case I just was looking forward to getting my money at the end of the month. Now I just live on a budget so I dont run out of money and dont really care about getting paid as much. I realize this isnt feasible for everyone though. In short, dont look forward to weekly/monthly things kids.

I know you're going to Japan soon. When you're there, you'll be surprised as time seems much slower.

It's not the country per se, but the fact you will have lots of new experieces. I think this is how we perceive time as children: as a succession of new instances. As we get older these don't happen as often, but when they do, percpetion of time slows down.

Just a theory, but see if it's true . . . .

Most definitely. When you are in a routine it's much harder to recall specific things, whereas I recall quite well my time in overseas assignments.

Prologue

The older you become, the less novel experiences you have. Your brain doesn't have to work as hard when it only encounters things its used to and done many times before. Time seems slower when your brain has to put in more effort. To slow down time as an adult, you'd have to dive head first in to a new hobby in a new arena of interest like every few years or something, I don't know.

im in my third year of dental school. time is flying and feels like yesterday when i just moved in, so that can't be right

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I was just thinking about this recently. I'm about the same age as you, OP, and experience the same thing. When I think how important 5 years was in high school, or even college, it's staggering. 5 years ago it was 2012. I still feel like it's 2012. Don't even get me started on when people say things that came out after that are dated now.

I have a bit of a different experience.

When I look back at the past 15 years - basically university, marriage, family - it feels like a long time has passed. It blows my mind and I feel like an old man. The post above about signposting seems to be at work here.

But then I think about the last time I've seen some friends, particularly those from university, and it feels like time has flown by.

Jokergrin

You can slow down the perception of time by being more present and doing things that are present.

Removing all passive entertainment from your life.

Experiencing things that are outside of your routine.

Being in Nature.

Etc.

Pooya

I was just thinking about this recently. I'm about the same age as you, OP, and experience the same thing. When I think how important 5 years was in high school, or even college, it's staggering. 5 years ago it was 2012. I still feel like it's 2012. Don't even get me started on when people say things that came out after that are dated now.

Mine is even worse. Sometimes I just think back and something like this, The Dark Knight, came out in 2008. That wasn't that long ago, Nolan batman films still feel very recent to me, sutff like INCEPTION feels very new... but then I realize in the movie they're showing a goddamn Nokia 5800 smart phone. This is when iphone was like less than 2 years old and facebook wasn't that big of a deal. I'm like wow what's wrong with me. That is ancient times if you think about it but to me still feels the same as today.

sa201674

Banned
It kinda bugs me.

When I was 3-5, days felt very long.

Each year felt well-defined as a kid and teen but now, the past 3 years is just one big blur.

Hey OP, try changing your daily routine. Even something as dumb as taking a slightly different route to work or eating something new for lunch, or listening to a podcast on a topic you never got into before. Life goes faster when it's routine. But you can shake things up if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom