• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman and the Mystery of the Missing Marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I pulled it out of my ass"

"It's not that WB isn't marketing, it's that hypocritical journalists all have their adblock on."

cKxKvkd.jpg

Theorry

King Arthur comes out on the 12th. That's why you're seeing stuff for it now.

Going to repost what I said in another thread.

Wonder Woman marketing. If there isn't a push once May (at the latest the middle of May) officially gets here then I'll start worrying. I can see the argument for a marketing blitz in the month before the film comes out as a better use of the marketing money. Especially since that is when Gal Gadot and Chris Pine and Jenkins will start doing the talk shows for the film and interviews will be released. Some of that has started already like the ones in W Magazine and EW. Having all that taking place with the tickets being on sale and the advertising makes more sense. There is digital marketing already taking place as well and toys and product placement (food, makeup, nascar, etc) has already started.

I just don't think this film is getting an insane marketing campaign like Avengers or Justice League or Star Wars. Those films got and will get advertising budgets close to their production budgets. That's not happening and likely shouldn't happen. Hell those films shouldn't have gotten that.

I think what some are taking as no marketing is actually normal film marketing. Stuff like Star Wars, Avengers, Justice League and some of the marketing that goes on for months before a film drops is outside of the norm. Look at Dr. Strange, Ant Man, Fantastic Beast, Lego Batman, and hell even Guardians marketing. I didn't really start seeing GoTG2 marketing until several days ago. Before that it was the trailers and articles movie sites like ScreenRant and forum threads.

Commercials months in advance isn't the norm. They've kept the Wonder Woman film in the public with the trailers and as well with the Justice League marketing which hits two birds with one stone since she's in both. Now if one is confused about the date then the commercials two weeks before the film coms out will remind people. They likely will be more effect that close instead of two months ago where people will have forgotten.

Jup i agree. Also we get another trailer soon and as i posted. Nascar will have a themed car the whole month of May. And i am sure there will be more.

tkscz

Exceptional good.

Makes me worried about your social life.

Not that big into movies so don't really pay attention when I really am not into a movie, wasn't watching TV at all at the time, and used ad block for everything.

Should it? None of the trailers were amazing, Gal Gadot doesn't inspire confidence and DC has yet to make a good film in their universe.

This will probably be the best movie in the DCU to date but that's not saying much.

There is a DCU?

I have always thought of marketing for movies as silly. It's not going to put butts in seats like reviews and word-of-mouth. I was only half interested in Suicide Squad until it was lambasted critically. The same applies here.

Ashhong

There is a DCU?

I have always thought of marketing for movies as silly. It's not going to put butts in seats like reviews and word-of-mouth. I was only half interested in Suicide Squad until it was lambasted critically. The same applies here.

You think marketing is silly? Lol, even your very own example of Suicide Squad proves you wrong

A more apt comparison the article writer should make would be to look at the Man of Steel marketing in April 2013, since this is the first Summer DC release since then. They have the whole #WonderWednesdays thing going but it seems to be falling flat. Conversely, they have a ton of toys for this movie and even the last trailer was at the Kids Choice Awards. Is the first kid-focused DCEU film? I dont know. May is a long month, the Summer movie season is a cruel one, but WW can have her place. I've seen plenty of King Arthur ads from WB which is another big budget release so maybe it is a again a case of overloaded slate -- but Disney can balance Pirates 5 and Guardians 2 though and I guess that proves why they are on top.

This thread is some concern trolling though. "Damn DC fucking that up too?!" ....I should make one about Gal doing reshoots while pregnant

Busty

Banned
These marketing campaigns are set out months and months (if not a full year) in advance so it's not as if they are doing this week to week which means there's either a larger plan at play (waiting for GOTG 2 to open as theorised) or something else has thrown a spanner in the works.

I haven't heard anything but I have a feeling that Gadot's pregnancy may have completely blown apart WB's marketing schedule/plan. It's very possible that she now won't be available to do a worldwide marketing tour post pregnancy and now the elaborate marketing plan that was in place has to be reconfigured.

But I will tell you what isn't happening, this isn't Warners dumping the film. It's too high profile to quietly just dump in a busy summer slot hoping that it gets lost in the shuffle. If, worst case scenario, it is awful the studio will just push the marketing like mad and try and get a big enough opening weekend to carry if for the rest of the summer a'la Suicide Squad.

Betty

Banned
This is so fucked up that one needs her to be a total victim of abuse to care about her.

The idea that her character is ruined because Joker cares about her is gross.

Harley's entire character is fucked but I'll take two psychos in love over Harley Quinn is so cool because she loves the Joker so much she'll take all his abuse even though he doesn't care about her at all and would love to just kill her one one day... so compelling.

I'd honestly say the idea that there is at least one person Joke is actually capable of caring about in some fashion is infinitely more compelling than woman in abusive/loveless relationship can't leave even as she's being beaten and nearly killed time and time again.

It ruins Joker's character to have him show empathy for anyone.

I mean he went so far to push Harley out a window and nearly kill her because she succeeded in capturing the Batman where he'd failed, he couldn't take her butting in.

And Harley is a fucked up character, just like every Batman villain ever, these are actual damaged characters.

Her striving for Joker's acceptance when we all know it's never going to happen is what made her compelling.

We want her to escape from him and get over him, that's what makes her so endearing!

It doesn't matter anyway the way they've written her in Suicide Squad was disastrous and her design even worse.

Ambient80

There is a DCU?

That...doesn't make any sense. You think advertising doesn't work? Cause I mean that has been proven wrong so many times that I don't even know how one could have that opinion.

Ashhong

These marketing campaigns are set out months and months (if not a full year) in advance so it's not as if they are doing this week to week which means there's either a larger plan at play (waiting for GOTG 2 to open as theorised) or something else has thrown a spanner in the works.

I haven't heard anything but I have a feeling that Gadot's pregnancy may have completely blown apart WB's marketing schedule/plan. It's very possible that she now won't be available to do a worldwide marketing tour post pregnancy and now the elaborate marketing plan that was in place has to be reconfigured.

But I will tell you what isn't happening, this isn't Warners dumping the film. It's too high profile to quietly just dump in a busy summer slot hoping that it gets lost in the shuffle. If, worst case scenario, it is awful the studio will just push the marketing like mad and try and get a big enough opening weekend to carry if for the rest of the summer a'la Suicide Squad.

Please keep your logic out of here Busty.

I think people want Cyborg canned because they don't like the push he's getting... and there's some Martian Manhunter envy here...

Personally, I don't like the characters "development" for the past few years. He has potential, but they rehash the same things over and over. Justice League and a solo movie will just further solidify that path for him.

A more apt comparison the article writer should make would be to look at the Man of Steel marketing in April 2013, since this is the first Summer DC release since then.

Saw someone bring up Doctor Strange, so went to the YouTubes and looked up the channel videos posted from the beginning of their video campaigns up to about 3 weeks before the film came out.

Wonder Woman
Release: June 2nd, 2017

Comic Con trailer - 6/23/2016
Trailer - 11/3/2016
Origin Trailer - 3/11
Art featurette - 4/4
Art featurette - 4/4

Doctor Strange
Release: Nov 4, 2016

Teaser - 4/12
Trailer - 7/23
Sneak Peek - 8/30
Featurette - 9/15
TV Spot - 9/27
TV Spot - 10/5
TV Spot - 10/5
Featurette - 10/10
TV Spot - 10/10
Featurette - 10/13

Man of Steel
Release: June 14, 2013

Teaser (Jor El) - 6/24/2012
Teaser (Jonathan) - 6/24/2012
Trailer 2 - 12/11/2012
TV Spot - 4/8
TV Spot (You are not alone) 4/14
Trailer 3 - 4/16
TV Spot - 5/1
TV Spot - 5/6
TV Spot - 5/12
TV Spot - 5/13
Zod Trailer - 5/21
TV Spot - 5/25
TV Spot - 5/26

So yeah, maybe they have some shit on deck for the next two weeks that bring it in line with Doctor Strange?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

Agreed. He uses her, abuses her, and pretends to love her so he can continue doing so. Joker doesn't care about anyone but Batman, that's the whole crux of his character. Making him actually care for Harley is lame.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Haven't seen the video yet but your post reminded me of this.
DFH1NBS.jpg

This is more of DC's fault than anything. Barely anyone there knows how to write her and she's constantly getting different origin stories and costumes and power-sets. Take this for example:

Superman
Flies
Arch-Nemesis: Lex Luthor
Raised in Smallville, Kansas, moved and got a job at the Daily Planet
Uses his powers to protect Metropolis (along with the world)

Batman
No powers
World's greatest detective
Arch-nemesis: Joker
Child of the billionaire Wayne family, became an orphan after witnessing his parent's murder, traveled the world and became Batman
Doesn't kill, ever

Wonder Woman
Flies (sometimes?)
Has an invisible jet (sometimes?)
Arch-nemesis: Cheetah (or Aries?)
Made out of clay and brought to life by Zeus, raised by the Amazons

There's too many question marks around Wonder Woman as a character, which is insane considering she's just as recognizable as Bruce or Clark.

I wouldnt call Wonder Woman one of the most popular heroes in the world. Well known sure. But shes boring.

And the films setting doesnt really hype her up. It seems like an edgy cookie cutter origin story.

Like the first Captain America it takes place in...world war 2?(or the 1st) except it doesnt have any of the charm from CA. No trailer would make the WW appealing?
(then again I feel the same about every DC hero. Its that Snyder touch.)

In essence Im not surprised this isnt being marketed.

LosDaddie

Banned
The WW box office threads are going to be fucking glorious. Either it'll be a bunch of dudes eating crow, or a bunch of people trying to provide 'box office analysis.' Either way, I'm pumped.

I doubt there will be a BO thread close to the glorious BvS thread, but a few movies this year could come close.

What's feminist about Harley breaking her abusive boyfriend out of jail?

While I agree, I was speaking more generally about how DC appears to push Harley more than Wondy, as evidenced by the lack of marketing for this movie compared to SS. Harley is usually portrayed in comics these days as the badass girl who takes no shit and does whatever she wants.

WB is sitting on a golden egg with Wondy yet doesn't appear willing to capitalize on it.

While I agree, I was speaking more generally about how DC appears to push Harley more than Wondy, as evidenced by the lack of marketing for this movie compared to SS. Harley is usually portrayed in comics these days as the badass girl who takes no shit and does whatever she wants.

WB is sitting on a golden egg with Wondy yet doesn't appear willing to capitalize on it.

I think they pushed her because they knew that outfit sells.

My opening night showing was full of dudes catcalling the screen every time she stripped down or bent over. Still one of the most uncomfortable theater experiences I've had.

I don't follow film marketing, but is there a set standard for when marketing blitz starts? Is it the month of the film or for a few weeks? What's the rollout, is it trailers or TV spots first, then billboards and posters? Genuinely interested.

I know videogame marketing, it can be a month-long marketing campaign. One week before, they'll have posters out on billboards or here in London it's focused on public transport (train stations and the sides of buses).

Sorcerer

Probably think WW is not going to sell many toys, because they think boys will be not interested.
I wonder if there is a lack of excitement for the toys on the retail front?

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
It had good early estimates in the tracking thread and the previous DCEU movies got huge pushes despite their quality, so its definitely weird. I assume they just cheaped out when setting the marketing budget.

I don't follow film marketing, but is there a set standard for when marketing blitz starts? Is it the month of the film or for a few weeks? What's the rollout, is it trailers or TV spots first, then billboards and posters? Genuinely interested.

I know videogame marketing, it can be a month-long marketing campaign. One week before, they'll have posters out on billboards or here in London it's focused on public transport (train stations and the sides of buses).

With Marvel it really kicks into gear around the time of the World Premiere red carpet event, usually 2-3 weeks before wide release. That's when their actors do the hit talk show circuit etc

I doubt there will be a BO thread close to the glorious BvS thread, but a few movies this year could come close.

Like that time they implied that she willfully got gangbanged by an entire comic-con full of Joker cosplayers? lmao.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any tracking data for opening weekend yet?

If not, maybe WB has some early internal numbers?
There's only been one super early tracking thing done based on social media and that data is probably not reliable. Tickets go on sale tomorrow I think? We'll get early tracking next week or the week after.

Dali

This really sucks. When WW bombs I was hoping it'd be because she's lame and no one really wants to see a ww movie. This half assed effort is only going to muddy the waters of the reason for its failure.

I mean he went so far to push Harley out a window and nearly kill her because she succeeded in capturing the Batman where he'd failed, he couldn't take her butting in.

And Harley is a fucked up character, just like every Batman villain ever, these are actual damaged characters.

Her striving for Joker's acceptance when we all know it's never going to happen is what made her compelling.

We want her to escape from him and get over him, that's what makes her so endearing!

It doesn't matter anyway the way they've written her in Suicide Squad was disastrous and her design even worse.

Do you know how messed up the bolded is...

You actually make a better argument why this character should just never exist than why she's worse in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom