• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry:LA Noire: Switch vs PS3/PS4/Xbox One X Graphics Comparison + Frame-Ra

LA Noire: Switch vs PS3/PS4/Xbox One X Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ljTX9R5QhA

to summarize:

-switch version docked/portable uses a dynamic 1080p/720p resolution (1920X1080-->1440X1080 and 1280x720-->920X720) that scales as low as 75% of the native resolution in the most demanding scenes for both modes. .Switch version has better textures, shadows, ambient occlusion than PS3 version(720p). Switch version actually suffers from frame pacing issues like Doom and has worse draw distance and more instable framerate vs PS3. Graphical features on portable mode is identical to docked, minus resolution differences and worse draw distance.

-PS4 is full 1080p and 30 frames locked. Better textures, shadows and lighting than Switch.No mention of PS4 Pro.

-Xbox One X is full 4k resolution, 30 frames locked, and same graphical updates as PS4 version, but its ambient occlusion is similar to the Switch.

Very impressive showing from the Switch. The fact that we can now effectively have a handheld PS3 in our hands in 2017 is goddamn amazing... And it's made by Nintendo. So good.

The narrative that the Switch is somehow in the same realm as the Xbox One or even PS4 needs to stop though. I'm seeing this propogated en masse on other forums and on YouTube.

Very impressive showing from the Switch. The fact that we can now effectively have a handheld PS3 in our hands in 2017 is goddamn amazing... And it's made by Nintendo. So good.

The narrative that the Switch is somehow in the same realm as the Xbox One or even PS4 needs to stop though. I'm seeing this propogated en masse on other forums and on YouTube.

Considering the switch at handheld is more powerful than wii u, I guess its not too surprising.

The PS4 is 3-4x as powerful as the switch(give or take)in GPU.. The former(3x) depending how well iswitch is optimized. Minus CPU. I'd say the gap is equivalent to PS4 vs Switch in hardware in GPU at least

The Switch version is strange. From my limited time playing in portable and docked modes it is impressive, and the environments and modelling still prevent a handsome game in 2017. It's impressive seeing it on the 6" display.

But I also find the draw distance limitations to be rather distracting when driving around some parts of town. While exploring the world isn't important to how the game flows, it's still jarring to be travelling to your next direction and see a chunk of land emerge in the far distance.

I'm surprised DF didn't mention anything about the full support for touch controls on Switch or gyro. You can play the entire game with touch, and dragging on the screen produces a rather (tacky) ripple effect on the image.

I know I'm on the outside but I'm not really impressed with the switch performance based off of this. I'm not displeased with it but just not surprised that 11 years later we are able to put the power of a ps3 in a portable version. Im happy that it can do it though.

A.M_Light

Neo Member
I think its because the x is really a step higher.
So it makes more sense in a way.
It is a last gen game seeing the only thing X offers is a boost resolution over the ps4 we should expect the same with pro, plus it is marketed as 4k on the pro also .

Kinda the vita wasn't it?

Not even close, though Vita was able to approximate some less demanding PS3 games.

The bottlenecks were:
Storage - 4GB game cards were the maximum size and most publishers opted for 2GB
CPU - 3x 333mhz Cortex A8 CPU cores for games were limiting
GPU - The PowerVR chip just didn't support the same featureset as a PS3.

I find the most technically impressive Vita port is still Need for Speed: Most Wanted, which plays identically to the PS3 game. But the cuts were obvious:

-A quarter of the resolution (640 x 360) of the PS3 game (1280 x 720)
-Lighting cut back to forward renderer vs PS3's deferred renderer
-Puddles removed from areas of the city along with their reflections
-Polycount and effects heavily reduced on non-player cars even when close to the camera
-Framerate fluctuates around 25fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNGxy57vX_Q

tezzer

Neo Member
Not sure.. Digital foundary says 1080p for ps4 and 4k for xbox one x, but gamingbolt says ps4 and xbone supports 4k? I'm also hearing offhand reports of ps4 pro supporting 1440p. Can anyone confirm this?
https://gamingbolt.com/la-noire-is-now-available-on-nintendo-switch-ps4-and-xbox-one

"offhand reports" from who or where? The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X versions both run at Native 4K, 30FPS.

DF is a very small subset of people who carry out these analysis, The work that goes into producing this content is extensive. So not testing the game on Pro was more a time resource issue, hence why they didn't report on base Xbox, as all versions run identical across PS4/Pro/Xbox One/X, so no need to carry out such an analysis.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
"offhand reports" from who or where? The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X versions both run at Native 4K, 30FPS.

DF is a very small subset of people who carry out these analysis, The work that goes into producing this content is extensive. So not testing the game on Pro was more a time resource issue, hence why they didn't report on base Xbox, as all versions run identical across PS4/Pro/Xbox One/X, so no need to carry out such an analysis.

Wheres the confirmation that the pro is native 4k?

LordRaptor

The Switch is using the improved textures and deferred rendering post processing effects of the PS4 and X1 versions, not the PS3s, and at a higher resolution though....?

Omoiyari

The Switch is using the improved textures and deferred rendering post processing effects of the PS4 and X1 versions, not the PS3s, and at a higher resolution though....?

and it's paying heavily for it in framerate, not only bigger more frequent frame drops than ps3, but game logic slowdowns absent in every other version without even talking about the severely paired back draw distance. Also portable mode, because of dynamic res I think can actually run at a lower resolution than ps3. I'm not denying that this port is impressive but it's miles behind the ps4 xboxone port

LordRaptor

and it's paying heavily for it in framerate, not only bigger more frequent frame drops than ps3, but game logic slowdowns absent in every other version without even talking about the severely paired back draw distance. Also portable mode, because of dynamic res I think can actually run at a lower resolution than ps3. I'm not denying that this port is impressive but it's miles behind the ps4 xboxone port

None of that says that its "not even in the same realm" - it says that the switch is weaker than the Ps4 or X1, which is.... well, pretty obvious.
But it isn't on an entirely different build pipeline, or needs an entirely specific to switch version like people have been suggesting - it has a compromised PS4/X1 build, and it mostly hits its targets of 1080p docked / 720p portable, 30fps.

Omoiyari

None of that says that its "not even in the same realm" - it says that the switch is weaker than the Ps4 or X1, which is.... well, pretty obvious.
But it isn't on an entirely different build pipeline, or needs an entirely specific to switch version like people have been suggesting - it has a compromised PS4/X1 build, and it mostly hits its targets of 1080p docked / 720p portable, 30fps.

it's important to note that this is a LAST gen title, not a native ps4/xboxone gen title, and L.A. noire is also unique in the fact that game logic is tied to the 30fps which is the reason ps4/xboxone are not running at 60fps and that means current gen consoles' power in a game like this is heavily underutilized.

A better game to see how the switch fares against its bigger brothers is DOOM, a current gen game, and there you can really appreciate how expressions like "miles behind" are not an exaggeration at all:
-600p resolution(almost 4 times less than ps4)
-graphics settings are lower than pc lowest settings
-HALF the framerate with incorrect frame pacing and drops below 30fps
the switch is just an overclocked last gen console with way more ram(EDIT: Toadthemushroom has pointed out this isn't 100% true since switch hardware is built to support more features than what we had last gen, but the following point still stand), which has JUST ENOUGH power to allow current gen games to be somewhat playable.

The switch shouldnt even be in the game console discussion, it should be in competition with game boys, ipads, and cell phones...... With consoles its worst in every way due to its power and terrible online..... but every reviewer ignores all these issues because...hey its portable.
So getting these old/new games to run on switch in portable mode with effects downscaled, resolution downgraded, and frames usually lower or unstable...well yes, thats how you get it in portable, im sure you could get these games running on the newest ipad as well if you did the same thing and dial things back.
Its a mediocre console, but a great handheld..

Toe-Knee

What about the Xbox one? Surely they should cater to what most people actually have.

Of course do the one x and pro but far more people would find information about the base consoles more valuable.

the switch is just an overclocked last gen console with way more ram, which has JUST ENOUGH power to allow current gen games to be somewhat playable.

This isn't true. The Switch's GPU supports the exact same featureset as the current gen machines which is why it can run DOOM with all the same visual effects. The only one that's missing is screen space reflections and that's not because the hardware can't physically do it.

The PS3 or 360 wouldn't be able to replicate DOOM on Switch if they were overclocked and had more RAM.

That's what makes the difference here - Switch supports everything a Maxwell GPU can do, but it doesn't have the raw power to match the current gen systems pound-for-pound on paper.

Omoiyari

This isn't true. The Switch's GPU supports the exact same featureset as the current gen machines which is why it can run DOOM with all the same visual effects. The only one that's missing is screen space reflections and that's not because the hardware can't physically do it.

The PS3 or 360 wouldn't be able to replicate DOOM on Switch if they were overclocked and had more RAM.

That's what makes the difference here - Switch supports everything a Maxwell GPU can do, but it doesn't have the raw power to match the current gen systems pound-for-pound on paper.

I may be incorrect in equating the switch to last gen hardware(I edited my original post to correct this) but my point that the switch is miles behind the other consoles still stands

MarcelDG88

Neo Member
Any one noticed that the remaster lacks surround sound on all versions. Its so weird, is it just me or is the game only in stereo even when connected to a surround sound system?

Textures and shadows are also worse on doom switch

matthewuk

I may be incorrect in equating the switch to last gen hardware(I edited my original post to correct this) but my point that the switch is miles behind the other consoles still stands

It's almost as if people are actually expecting the switch to compete with the PS4 in terms of power. Until we get a quantum leap in cooling or battery. No handheld device will compete docked or undocked in such a small form factor.

I would say it's fair to call the switch a PS3/Xbox 360 pro rather than next gen

Omoiyari

How is PS4 and Xbox one not 60FPS?

It's because the game was developed with 30fps in mind and some of the game's physics is tied to that framerate, if you double it physics could basically go twice as fast, it's actually something you can witness yourself with the pc version and the 60fps fix, there's probably youtube videos showcasing the bugs and glitches that the higher frame rate can cause. It's not impossible for the devs to fix this and make 60fps work but it's more labor intensive than the usual resolution bump that these remasters are famous for.

Textures and shadows are also worse on doom switch

Correct. But the shadows themselves are rendered in the same way - they aren't a different type of shadow.

Yeah, in raw power terms it's behind.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Looks like the PC version did 6 years ago.
While what you said is true, is it your intention to post the same tired shit in every DF thread focusing on consoles? Because so far that's all I've seen you do here, and I want to like you because of your avy :(

Senua

While what you said is true, is it your intention to post the same tired shit in every DF thread focusing on consoles? Because so far that's all I've seen you do here, and I want to like you because of your avy :(
Lol most of the pro PC posts I've made are in Pro vs X vs PC threads actually.

TLZ

Banned
The Switch version the worst version performance wise and isn't worth it then. Unstable constantly dropping frame rate to 20s is bad.

JaxBriggs

I still find this an odd choice of game to bring back after all these years. It wasn't even that much of a hit when it launched was it? I don't remember it making much waves back then. Anyway it sounds pretty solid on all systems, especially the Switch.

I wonder if there is still hope for an eventual RDR remaster for current gen systems... and PC! That would be pretty amazing.

Futaleufu

I still find this an odd choice of game to bring back after all these years. It wasn't even that much of a hit when it launched was it? I don't remember it making much waves back then. Anyway it sounds pretty solid on all systems, especially the Switch.

I wonder if there is still hope for an eventual RDR remaster for current gen systems... and PC! That would be pretty amazing.

It's a very odd choice. This game killed the studio that developed it and now 2K is trying to pass it up as a remaster of a platinum hit. I remember buying it for 5 dollars or less with all the DLC on Steam less than a year after its release.

Top Bottom