• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Billychu said:
What happens? The scenes just don't play? Does the emulation slow down?

EDIT: Also, has anyone gotten God Hand working? I'm basically using the FFXII config to test everything and God Hand is running at ~45-55 FPS for me with no AA. It's just so frustratingly close to full speed.
Have you tried enabling any speed hacks (EE Cycle Rate and/or VU Cycle Stealing in particular)?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
FF12 Zodiac I noticed some slowdowns today. Giza Plains was the big one mostly.

Got i5 750
460 gtx 1gb
and settings in the OP.

What would I suggest to drop down, or would the issue just be this area as there were lens flares etc on screen.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Corran Horn said:
FF12 Zodiac I noticed some slowdowns today. Giza Plains was the big one mostly.

Got i5 750
460 gtx 1gb
and settings in the OP.

What would I suggest to drop down, or would the issue just be this area as there were lens flares etc on screen.
Try turning down/off HW AA if you have it enabled, then lowering the D3D internal res if that makes no difference. If that has no effect, then try enabling speedhacks (EE Cycle Rate and VU Cycle Stealing)...

Just trying to figure out if the bottleneck is your CPU or GPU. I have the exact same graphics card and just ran through Giza Plains (the Rains though) without any frame drops.

I think it's in your best interest to figure out what settings will get you full speed in this situation, since most of the busy open areas like Giza Plains will probably be similarly demanding.

The M.O.B

kpeezy said:
I'm using the "Balanced" preset and 3X native resolution and I haven't had any problems yet. i7 920 and a Radeon 4870 512mb.

I'm stilling getting problems even with that settings. :(

Your CPU blows mine out the water, but my GPU is a lot stronger.

My CPU is an AMD 955 4x3.2ghz with a Radeon 6870 1gb.

This pretty much proves having a powerful CPU is much more useful for emulation than a better GPU. :/

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, just saw my first major slowdown in FF12 IZJS... Some of the level 3 Quickenings (and Balthier's level 2) would hit ~40fps at points. Got 'em all to run at fullspeed by dropping upscaling down to 3x, so it's definitely just my GPU hitting a limit when dealing with all the effects at a higher res.

Still gonna play through the game at 4x, it's not like I use those very often. :p Boss attack animations like Sporefall, summons, and most Quickenings don't have any frame drops...

Corran Horn

ExMachina said:
Try turning down/off HW AA if you have it enabled, then lowering the D3D internal res if that makes no difference. If that has no effect, then try enabling speedhacks (EE Cycle Rate and VU Cycle Stealing)...

Just trying to figure out if the bottleneck is your CPU or GPU. I have the exact same graphics card and just ran through Giza Plains (the Rains though) without any frame drops.

I think it's in your best interest to figure out what settings will get you full speed in this situation, since most of the busy open areas like Giza Plains will probably be similarly demanding.
Must have been some glitch because I reloaded later and was fine. Shrug.

I've played through God Hand multiple times with PCSX2 at full speed.

Game Info and Performance

Title (Region): God Hand (PAL)
Completion: 100%
Default FPS: 60
Frame drops from fullspeed: No
Widescreen option available in game: No
Issues:
- Must be set to 60 hertz mode or there will a bunch of lines and stuff on the screen.

Build and Plugins Used

Build: SVN r3878 and r4572
Graphics: GSdx
Sound: SPU2-X

Emulation Settings

T4iFJ.png

0GFYD.png

aMypE.png

wrbqR.png

JmEqi.png

Graphics Plugin Settings

Renderer: Direct3D11 (Hardware)
Interlacing: None
D3D Upscaling: D3D internal res - See below, Scaling - 2-3x, Native resolution - no
Hardware Mode Settings: Texture Filtering - yes, Allow 8-bit textures - no, Logarithmic Z - n/a, Alpha Correction (FBA) - n/a
Hacks: N/A

NOTE: 4x upscaling is out of the question. Setting the internal resolution to 1920x1080 also works fine and is generally what I use.

Sound Plugin Settings

Mixing Settings: Interpolation - Linear, Reverb Boost Factor - 1X
Output Settings: Module - XAudio 2, Latency - 150 ms, Synchronizing Mode - TimeStretch, Audio Expansion Mode - Stereo
Enable Debug Options: no
Use a Winamp DSP Plugin: no

Computer Specs

CPU: Intel i7-950 at 4.0GHz
GPU: 1GB ATI 5870
RAM: 6GB

I'll try and get some decent screenshots at some point, sorry if it looks a bit lazy right now.

Also, I use the exact same settings with Yakuza and it runs fine. Only halfway through but not had any problems outside of blurry cutscenes. They can apparently be fixed with the skipdraw hack.

Salaadin

Anyone able to play Zone of the Enders 2 start to finish with little slowdown? Im having some issues getting it working right.

Im trying to run it in 1920x1080

i5 750
AMD Radeon 5850
8GBs RAM

Any good configs out there?

teiresias

ExMachina said:
Oh man, just saw my first major slowdown in FF12 IZJS... Some of the level 3 Quickenings (and Balthier's level 2) would hit ~40fps at points. Got 'em all to run at fullspeed by dropping upscaling down to 3x, so it's definitely just my GPU hitting a limit when dealing with all the effects at a higher res.

Still gonna play through the game at 4x, it's not like I use those very often. :p Boss attack animations like Sporefall, summons, and most Quickenings don't have any frame drops...
Giza Plains slows down for me with any kind of HW AA enabled, it may be the draw distance and the way they're using effects there or something.

Some Quickenings also slow down, almost like it's having memory issues our loading issues. These only happen at the very end of them though when there is a big effects filled explosion.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
I'll try and get some decent screenshots at some point, sorry if it looks a bit lazy right now.

Also, I use the exact same settings with Yakuza and it runs fine. Only halfway through but not had any problems outside of blurry cutscenes. They can apparently be fixed with the skipdraw hack.
Nah, the important stuff is the settings... pics are just bonus. Thanks for posting this, added it to the config list. =]

hey guys, I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but anyway. I'm looking forward to buy an ATI HD5850 for 100€, I was wondering if this card is good enogh for PCSX2

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
intheinbetween said:
hey guys, I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but anyway. I'm looking forward to buy an ATI HD5850 for 100€, I was wondering if this card is good enogh for PCSX2
A 5850 should be fine for running PCSX2 at 1080p. Performance will depend much more on your CPU.

ExMachina said:
A 5850 should be fine for running PCSX2 at 1080p. Performance will depend much more on your CPU.

thanks for your attention man.

right now my computer is still powered by an Intel E8500 CPU at its default speed.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
^No prob.

Anyways, added a little blurb + image on upscaling, especially D3D Internal Res vs using a multiplier.

0vB9G.jpg

tl;dr - setting an arbitrary resolution will result in more possible graphical glitches than using scaling and 4x upscaling is usually at least 1080p

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
SvEYx.jpg

Game Info and Performance
Title (Region): Shadow of the Colossus (NTSC)
Summary: Playable at full speed but highly demanding, requires speed hacks.
Completion: 30%
Default FPS: 60
Frame drops from fullspeed: During some cutscenes, increase speed hacks to avoid slowdown.
Widescreen option available in game: yes
Issues:
- when using hardware renderers, excessive bloom washes out image - lessened at higher resolutions or can be removed with a custom GSdx plugin
- misaligned lighting effects and black bars on right/bottom of screen when upscaled, fixed by enabling offset hack

NOTE: Do NOT enable progressive scan mode in the in-game options. It will make the game even more demanding to run without any difference in image quality.​

Build and Plugins Used
Build: SVN r3878
Graphics: GSdx
Sound: SPU2-X

OPTIONAL: an alternative graphics plugin - eliotcougar's custom SotC GSdx plugin - removes bloom and other problematic visual effects​

Emulation Settings
EE/IOP: default
VUs: default
GS: Framelimiter - enabled, Frameskipping - disabled, Use Synchronized MTGS - no, Disable all GS output - no
GS Window: Aspect Ratio - Widescreen (16:9) - Custom Window Size - 976x690, Disable window resize border - no, Always hide mouse cursor - no, Hide window on suspend - yes, Default to fullscreen mode on open - yes, Use exclusive fullscreen mode (if available) - no, Wait for vsync on refresh - no
Speed Hacks: enabled, default + EE Cycle Rate - 2, VU Cycle Stealing - 2
Game Fixes: none​

Graphics Plugin Settings
Renderer: Direct3D11 (Hardware)
Interlacing: None
D3D Upscaling: D3D internal res - n/a, Scaling - 3x, Native resolution - no
Hardware Mode Settings: Texture Filtering - yes, Allow 8-bit textures - no, Logarithmic Z - n/a, Alpha Correction (FBA) - n/a
Hacks: HW Anti Aliasing - 0, Alpha Hack - no, Offset Hack - yes, Skipdraw Hack - 0​

NOTE: Any HW AA would cause significant frame drops during cutscenes, even with speed hacks enabled.

NOTE: Offset hack is necessary to avoid having black bars on the right and bottom of the screen and align lighting effects properly, but will cause thin white lines in the top and left.

Sound Plugin Settings
Mixing Settings: Interpolation - Linear, Reverb Boost Factor - 1X
Output Settings: Module - XAudio 2, Latency - 150 ms, Synchronizing Mode - TimeStretch, Audio Expansion Mode - Stereo
Enable Debug Options: no
Use a Winamp DSP Plugin: no​

Computer Specs
CPU: Intel i5-2500k at 4.5GHz
GPU: 1GB nVidia GTX 460
RAM: 8GB​

Screenshots/Video

Chris R

Anyone have some Persona 3 FES settings? If not then I guess I'll post what I end up using sometime later tonight. Hope to have it running well without needing to overclock my Q9550 too much :(

rhfb said:
Anyone have some Persona 3 FES settings? If not then I guess I'll post what I end up using sometime later tonight. Hope to have it running well without needing to overclock my Q9550 too much :(
Without overclocking, my Q6600 ran the game fine from start to finish, except during full-moon bosses I would get a bit of slowdown, so you should be fine.

Bukana

I have a problem with the Mac version, I tried to run an original PS2 Twisted Metal Black on the drive but it won't run it.

Am I missing a file or a script !?

Also, it would be very awesome of you, if you include a "How to run PCSX2 on a Mac" section.

Thanks,

Chris R

darkpaladinmfc said:
Without overclocking, my Q6600 ran the game fine from start to finish, except during full-moon bosses I would get a bit of slowdown, so you should be fine.
Good to hear. Have any settings to share by chance?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
rhfb said:
Good to hear. Have any settings to share by chance?
You'll probably be okay with the default settings, since P3 is supposed to run very similarly to P4.

Bukana said:
I have a problem with the Mac version, I tried to run an original PS2 Twisted Metal Black on the drive but it won't run it.

Am I missing a file or a script !?

Also, it would be very awesome of you, if you include a "How to run PCSX2 on a Mac" section.

Thanks,
I'm not familiar at all with the Mac version, but if some kind soul has run PCSX2 on a Mac and they'd like to share, I'd definitely add the info to the OP.

Did you get any kind of error message (maybe some text in the console?) or did the program just crash when you tried to boot the game?

Chris R

ExMachina said:
You'll probably be okay with the default settings, since P3 is supposed to run very similarly to P4.

So far it is running mostly fine. I only went with 2x scaling to make sure it going to at least attempt to run at 60fps. Game ran fine there for most of what I just finished playing. There was an issue where the audio would get really slow and the fps would dip to like 52, but that only happened in one area and wasn't constant so I think I can fix it as well as push the graphics up even more. Well, I hope I can fix it...

Any way to take a screenshot of the rendered image or do I have to resort to FRAPS for that?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
rhfb said:
So far it is running mostly fine. I only went with 2x scaling to make sure it going to at least attempt to run at 60fps. Game ran fine there for most of what I just finished playing. There was an issue where the audio would get really slow and the fps would dip to like 52, but that only happened in one area and wasn't constant so I think I can fix it as well as push the graphics up even more. Well, I hope I can fix it...

Any way to take a screenshot of the rendered image or do I have to resort to FRAPS for that?
F8 will take uncompressed screenshots of PCSX2's video output - the images should be saved to a folder named "shots" in your PCSX2 settings directory.

And maybe speed hacks can help keep the framerate up... I never noticed any ill effects when increasing them in P4.

xemumanic

chickdigger802 said:
But isn't gsdx usually better in hardware mode?

I dunno if it's the case now, but there was a time when the God of War games ran better in software mode than hardware. Who knows what other games may benefit.

Bukana

ExMachina said:

I'm not familiar at all with the Mac version, but if some kind soul has run PCSX2 on a Mac and they'd like to share, I'd definitely add the info to the OP.

Did you get any kind of error message (maybe some text in the console?) or did the program just crash when you tried to boot the game?

Thanks for answering the question this fast.

Um, it didn't show any errors, it simply didn't run it. I waited for 10 minutes and nothing happened.

Emitan

ExMachina said:

I own a Mac. Don't own that game, but I might be able to help with general settings although my Mac is fairly weak (2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 9600M).

onken

ExMachina said:
^No prob.

Anyways, added a little blurb + image on upscaling, especially D3D Internal Res vs using a multiplier.

http://i.imgur.com/0vB9G.jpg[IMG]

tl;dr - setting an arbitrary resolution will result in more possible graphical glitches than using scaling and 4x upscaling is usually at least 1080p[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've been fiddling with this lately, is the internal res setting broken somehow or something? If I set it to the native res of my screen the end result looks quite muddy, though if I put it on 3x or 4x then it looks pin-sharp. Surely any resolution higher than native is just wasted?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Bukana said:
Thanks for answering the question this fast.

Um, it didn't show any errors, it simply didn't run it. I waited for 10 minutes and nothing happened.
Ah, that's odd. Have you tried any other games? Ripping it to an image instead of running it from the drive? (though first and foremost, do you have a BIOS rom in the correct directory?)

Billychu said:
I own a Mac. Don't own that game, but I might be able to help with general settings although my Mac is fairly weak (2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 9600M).
Thanks for for offering some help! =] I actually did a little more reading about it, and here's the page with info about the PCSX2 Mac ports...

http://pcsx2mac.net/

Judging by the current state of compatibility/performance, I think it'd probably be better just to redirect any Mac-only users to run a later SVN in bootcamp instead. =/ Still, if you do decide to try it out, be sure to let us know about your results.

onken said:
Yeah I've been fiddling with this lately, is the internal res setting broken somehow or something? If I set it to the native res of my screen the end result looks quite muddy, though if I put it on 3x or 4x then it looks pin-sharp. Surely any resolution higher than native is just wasted?
All 3 of the options work fine - I've run games at a custom internal resolution, with upscaling by a multiplier, and at native PS2 resolution... To run a set resolution (like your monitor's native one), you have to make sure upscaling is set to 1x and the native box unchecked. But like previously mentioned, it may introduce some graphical glitches so IMO it's better to upscale with a multiplier as much as your GPU can handle it.

Running the game at a res greater than your monitor improves image quality (since HW AA is pretty demanding and not well supported, it's the best way to get an anti aliasing effect), so it's definitely not a waste. Though I can understand wanting to run at the monitor's native res if it might be more manageable performance-wise than 3x or 4x.

Durante

onken said:
Setting the resolution to anything other than an integer multiple of the PS2 internal res can lead to a lot of problems, so it's usually best to just stick with 3x or 4x (or 5/6x if your GPU can handle it). Higher rendering resolutions are mostly equivalent to supersampling AA, so they're not wasted at all.

Edit: Yeah, I just repeated exactly what ExMachina said over an hour ago. That's what you get for blindly replying to a thread you opened before watching a TSL match.

Gvaz

Banned
FF12 with hwAA x2 at 2x resolution (I can do 4x most of the time but not at 1920x1200 and certainly not at 1280x720, I simply don't have the CPU for it)

Looks a little stretched because it's 16:9->16:10 but it's not a big deal for me

Dwayne

Gvaz said:
FF12 with hwAA x2 at 2x resolution (I can do 4x most of the time but not at 1920x1200 and certainly not at 1280x720, I simply don't have the CPU for it)

Looks a little stretched because it's 16:9->16:10 but it's not a big deal for me

Doesn't look very sharp like everyone elses screenshots?

Gvaz

Banned
that's because it's 2x native instead of 3x or 4x

I can run them, but not at full speed with lots of things on screen. It's because im running sse2 not sse4

This is at 4x @ 1280x720. In this specific situation I was getting 50~ fps

Also I had the wrong interlacing on at the time I took the SS which is why there's that weird square shit on the edges.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
What weapon is equipped on Vaan in your first shot, Gvaz?

But yeah, anyone who's playing with PCSX2... feel free to post your screenshots here. I get the feeling the OP/thread title seems a bit restrictive and hope it's not scaring people off unless they have a config to share... screens were posted all the time in the previous topic! So please, share. =]

Here's a couple shots from Shadow of the Colossus that I grabbed while playing, I think my config's gonna hold up through the rest of the game but it'll be nice to get confirmation of 100% completion with it. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on the FPS counter during the later cutscenes and more elaborate colossi...

Click for full 1280x720, you should be able to see what the white lines/graphical glitches in the top and left look like when using the offset hack --

Bukana

Ah, that's odd. Have you tried any other games? Ripping it to an image instead of running it from the drive? (though first and foremost, do you have a BIOS rom in the correct directory?)

That's why I need a guide for the Mac version.

Thanks.

Corran Horn

Just a random photo of 12. Might take more if people want i guess.
FF12

Kinda chronicling the gameplay on youtube/justin.tv atm. Only a few hours in though.

Kuran

Banned
Could someone please provide a link to PCSX2 r3536, which I assume is the best version to run SOTC?

Thanks!

Red

This thread has got me wondering how well MMX Collection works on this emulator. Anyone here tried it? I'd like to pick up the game and it'd be cool to play on my PC.

Any tips for fixing controller lag? I had to go back to PS2 to finish FFXII due to the lag.

Also, one could potentially use an old Dual Core E5400/E5200 and OC it to 3.5 on the stock cooler or take it to 4~5 Ghz with aftermarket. That should make a budget system powerful enough to run most games at acceptable framerates.

teiresias

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Any tips for fixing controller lag? I had to go back to PS2 to finish FFXII due to the lag.

Also, one could potentially use an old Dual Core E5400/E5200 and OC it to 3.5 on the stock cooler or take it to 4~5 Ghz with aftermarket. That should make a budget system powerful enough to run most games at acceptable framerates.

Which controller? I have what I see as no perceptible lag using a USB-adapter for a PS2 controller. Of course, I'm not too terribly sensitive to these things (and honestly it must be pretty damn bad lag if its affecting your ability to play a game like FFXII).

MidgarBlowedUp said:

I think I remember v-sync causing input lag in some games.

Btw wouldn't running the pal version of games be a good way to get more reliable performance without messing with speed hacks etc and the sound problems and glitches and effort that comes with them?

Pal games always run at 50 fps (vs 60 from ntsc), persona 4 and ico are capped at 50 for me and I don't get much slowdown in persona (3x scaling too) with a 3ghz phenom II and a hd4870 , running in dx10 mode.
No slowdown in ico.

Grinchy

Banned
Weird question, but has anyone had an issue with putting the PS2 dvds in their PC? Vista keeps freezing every time I put a PS2 game in. I have turned off all the auto-loading options, and I've made images of my discs in the past without any issues. This thread has made me want to play some FFXII and Persona 4.

SneakyStephan said:
Btw wouldn't running the pal version of games be a good way to get more reliable performance without messing with speed hacks etc and the sound problems and glitches and effort that comes with them?

Pal games always run at 50 fps (vs 60 from ntsc), persona 4 and ico are capped at 50 for me and I don't get much slowdown in persona (3x scaling too) with a 3ghz phenom II and a hd4870 , running in dx10 mode.
No slowdown in ico.
I doubt it since performance relies more on your CPU than GPU. Same reason why frame skipping doesn't help much.

Corran Horn

Maybe Im stupid but taking photos with pcsx2 causes them to be 4:3 ratio although Im playing in widescreen (picture turns out really squished). Did I miss some setting?

bucklam66

darkpaladinmfc said:

I was able to emulate that with almost no slowdown on a AMD Athlon 7750 BE with a Nvidia 9400gt video card at 1280*1024, same with Nocturne and P4.

FF12 Ran at 55fps, with little slowdown as well. JRPG's are easy to emulate and do not take the same lvl of hardware.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Corran Horn said:
Maybe Im stupid but taking photos with pcsx2 causes them to be 4:3 ratio although Im playing in widescreen (picture turns out really squished). Did I miss some setting?
If you use F8 to take a screen, it records the raw, full size output rendered by the emulator and not the final video that's displayed on your screen. FF12's native resolution is 512x448 (which is even more squarish than 4:3) even if you set the in-game options to 16:9... and upscaled with a multiplier it retains that squashed look. The emulator then resizes this raw output to fit the aspect ratio you set in GS Window options.

So I usually resize any of the raw screenshots from PCSX2 to the proper AR/my screen resolution before posting, though you can skip the resizing step by using Fraps (or the Steam overlay) to take screens since it'll cap the final, resized video output instead.

Hopefully that makes sense... not sure if I'm being very clear about this. >.<

Top Bottom