• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Update: Confirmed for PS3/PC] Rumor - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Releasing on PC

Sephzilla

This posts sounds salty. There is always a market for niche stuff on PC.

I thought Enslaved was a pretty decent but flawed game, but I just really don't see the point in this. I'm pretty sure everybody who's interested in this game has probably experienced it by now. The pricing on this game needs to be done pretty well too considering you can get the console version for bargain bin prices.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Enslaved was a pretty decent but flawed game, but I just really don't see the point in this. I'm pretty sure everybody who's interested in this game has probably experienced it by now. The pricing on this game needs to be done pretty well too considering you can get the console version for bargain bin prices.

Well to be fair with things like a much better and smoother framerate and higher resolution there's plenty of opportunity for people who may double dip plus PC players who want to try it and don't have consoles. Games on PC also go on to sell for a much longer period of time. It's quite a smart thing for Namco to do and it should be relatively quite a low cost for them as it's Unreal Engine 3 and should be easy to stick on PC.

Sephzilla

Well to be fair with things like a much better and smoother framerate and higher resolution there's plenty of opportunity for people who may double dip plus PC players who want to try it and don't have consoles. Games on PC also go on to sell for a much longer period of time. It's quite a smart thing for Namco to do and it should be relatively quite a low cost for them as it's Unreal Engine 3 and should be easy to stick on PC.

Yeah, I guess I can see it from that perspective. I just think this was something that should have been done like 2 years ago.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I guess I can see it from that perspective. I just think this was something that should have been done like 2 years ago.

I don't disagree but if it goes on to sell ok it'll further cement Namcos interest in PC which is good for everyone and future games :) Plus let's hope other japanese companies are keeping an eye on PC and seeing how beneficial it can be to release games on the platform.

Sephzilla

I don't disagree but if it goes on to sell ok it'll further cement Namcos interest in PC which is good for everyone and future games :) Plus let's hope other japanese companies are keeping an eye on PC and seeing how beneficial it can be to release games on the system.

Lets just hope it's a better port than what Dark Souls got.

Grief.exe

Think long-term for this one, Namco certainly is.
They know that the profit potential will be initially low, but as time goes on and sale prices decrease, the sales number will increase.
This title will be accruing income for the next decade. That is the advantage of digital distribution on PC.

Daeva

Banned
Wow, some people in this thread. Good lord. I never beat this on PS3 because it died. I think high-res would add a ton to my enjoyment of the game. I thought it was alright for what it is. 5 bucks and I'm in.

Grief.exe

I thought the port Durante and Co. did was actually pretty good. :) (srry double)

The poor quality of the Dark Souls port is massively overblown. Once you use a few tweaks, which have been available since the game was released, the game runs very well.

In 150 hours, I have not experienced a any crashes and, overall, a well optimized game.

Daeva

Banned
The poor quality of the Dark Souls port is massively overblown. Once you use a few tweaks, which have been availaw since the game was released, the game runs very well.

In 150 hours, I have not experienced a any crashes and, overall, a well optimized game.

Oh for sure it wasn't that bad at all. I use 2x2 SS and I cannot be happier overall. Just needed a tiny bit of work on the dev's end which I guess they didn't want to do.

Jawmuncher

Think long-term for this one, Namco certainly is.
They know that the profit potential will be initially low, but as time goes on and sale prices decrease, the sales number will increase.
This title will be accruing income for the next decade. That is the advantage of digital distribution on PC.

Definitely.
Just looking at numerous Steam Sales and it's proven for any naysayers.
Makes me wonder why more Publishers don't jump onto porting older games to the PC.

Grief.exe

Definitely.
Just looking at numerous Steam Sales and it's proven for any naysayers.
Makes me wonder why more Publishers don't jump onto porting older games to the PC.

Capcom and Konami alone have so many old franchises that already have PC versions available, just not for digital download.

hlhbk

The poor quality of the Dark Souls port is massively overblown. Once you use a few tweaks, which have been available since the game was released, the game runs very well.

It is not massively overblown at all. The game ran at 30 FPS 720P out of the box, and didn't run well. The only reason it is great now was because the community took the time to fix what the developer was to lazy to do. Don't make excuses for that terrible port.

Grief.exe

It is not massively overblown at all. The game ran at 30 FPS 720P out of the box, and didn't run well. The only reason it is great now was because the community took the time to fix what the developer was to lazy to do. Don't make excuses for that terrible port.

It ran at 1080p+ out of the box. Durante had the fix implemented literally right when the game unlocked.

Timeaisis

Why now? This seems like a weird move. I liked the game, but it was hardly worth $60. I'll wait for a sale and get it on PC at some point. It does have pretty nice visuals. And Trip.

I don't think Enslaved is very good but there is never a bad time to port games to PC. I find the comments like "why now" to be weird, if the port doesn't cost much there is almost no way that it won't make a profit. Given that the game is a UE3 game I would assume it would be pretty straightforward to bring it over. The PS3 version being reissued makes a lot less sense than porting it to PC.

Namco realized there was money in bringing stuff over to PC and now they are digging through their games trying to find games that would be painless to bring over.

Grief.exe

Did it run at 1080p without implementing a user fix? We both know the anwser is no. That is a defintion of a lazy port.

I didn't say it wasn't a lazy or bad port, I just described the issues as overblown.

The largest issue was fixed essentially on release, with frame rate shortly after. The game is actually well optimized and runs well on the majority of systems without crashes.

Most of the issues that do crop up can be attributed solely to not installing GFWL, or the famous 'didn't read the readme' DSfix error.

BPoole

It ran at 1080p+ out of the box. Durante had the fix implemented literally right when the game unlocked.

It allowed you to choose 1080p, but it was just a stretched 720p display. I didn't know about Durante's fix until a day or two after the game released and was disgusted by how awful the game looked in 1440p prior to installing the fix.

Grief.exe

It allowed you to choose 1080p, but it was just a stretched 720p display. I didn't know about Durante's fix until a day or two after the game released and was disgusted by how awful the game looked in 1440p prior to installing the fix.

DS fix launched literally as the game was released in the US.

synce

Why are they re releasing this on PS3?

Why not? I remember playing Enslaved and being pretty pissed that they had preorder DLC that was never put up on PSN, so they'll probably include that stuff in this version. If you mean why get PS3 when PC will be clearly superior, well you can say that about any game.

Grief.exe

It was there at launch but the DOF was flawed. The backdrop in the Firelink Shrine especially was a gigantic blur with tons of bloom on top of it

It was iterated upon and fixed within days.

That was not a huge issue, more like a major blemish. Kind of grasping at straws at this point.

Parsnip

I don't know man, I wouldn't call Dark Souls "well optimized" at all. It's functional and generally bug free, I'll give it that much.

You can sit down with vanilla PC Dark Souls and play it from beginning to end with no crashes most likely. I can't say the same about some games regarded as PC classics. Not letting the user set the rendering resolution was an awkward decision but other than that I think it fit the bill.

I'd double dip for low price for sure. I'm curious how good it can look on pc. The game heavyly suffered from the standart bad UE3 shiny texture on console, so common this gen :(

Grief.exe

Registry app seeing tons of updates the past couple of days. They still haven't posted any achievements so I can't confirm via that route.

Grief.exe

Your point is? If the game is developed correctly the community never should have had to do that.

My point from the outset was the issues with the port have been overblown. If the largest issues have been fixed, then the issues become superficial.

I never said that From shouldn't be blamed, I never said that the game wasn't developed 100% correctly. I don't understand all of the Fallacies since I said that.

ezekial45

Banned
I remember Dead End Thrills had a bunch of pics from the dev kit version of Enslaved, and it looked absolutely stunning. Though they had to take them down. Not sure why.

I'm looking forward to seeing the game running at maximum settings.

Top Bottom