• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Ross61

Can The Rock even be considered a box office draw after recent bombs? I don't see how y'all fail to see the potential in the Shazam franchise even without Black Adam at the start. It's mind boggling.

If feels like months ago people were afraid this was becoming a Batman and friends universe, but now that we have a film that's not Batman related and on scheduling and it's a problem lol? I just don't get y'all.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, it felt like the only reason Shazam was being considered is due to The Rock being cast as Black Adam. If he's not even it like current rumors suggest, I don't know how this managed to leap frog just about every other project on the books.
Which is why I said Rock is gonna be in this. He has to be. He sells movies no matter how shitty they are. Baywatch made more money than it would have if he wasn't in it. No one knows who Shazam is. I barely even know his back story and I'm a comicbook nerd. Unless whoever they cast as Billy is a super star, Rock is the one that will sell this.

IconGrist

Which is why I said Rock is gonna be in this. He has to be. He sells movies no matter how shitty they are. Baywatch made more money than it would have if he wasn't in it. No one knows who Shazam is. I barely even know his back story and I'm a comicbook nerd. Unless whoever they cast as Billy is a super star, Rock is the one that will sell this.

This is just flat out not true. Sure, he's not as big as the top 3 but Captain Marvel was the biggest seller in DC for a while.

When you yell out SHAZAM! people know who you're referencing.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
This is just flat out not true. Sure, he's not as big as the top 3 but Captain Marvel was the biggest seller in DC for a while.

When you yell out SHAZAM! people know who you're referencing.
Guess we'll find out. I don't know many people in my personal life that know what Shazam refers to. He hasn't been in main stream media for quite some time (since the 70's with the TV show?).

Pachimari

I'm curious how Shazam is gonna do in Europe. It's my impression nobody knows him. I didn't really know about him until they announced this movie. Actually, I only really read up about him this year.

I'm really looking forward to the Shazam movie, at least is not something tied to Batman, and Ant-Man/GotG proved you don't need to grow up with the character to have some interest in it.

This is golden age of CBM's might as well go all out.

Btw the possible irony of people "complaining" Shazam is a better superman than Superman would be too funny.

I'm curious how Shazam is gonna do in Europe. It's my impression nobody knows him. I didn't really know about him until they announced this movie. Actually, I only really read up about him this year.
Maybe you should have watched all the good DC animated shows which he is part of.

shingi70

Banned
Shazam being next makes alot of sense considering its new line and it's a Unknown Ip.

It Al's gives the dceu something sqaurley aimed at younger audience so if it's a hit the merch could be worth it alone.

Plus my guess is this is going to have Superman in it in a role similar to Tony in Homecoming

strafer

Shazam being next makes alot of sense considering its new line and it's a Unknown Ip.

It Al's gives the dceu something sqaurley aimed at younger audience so if it's a hit the merch could be worth it alone.

Plus my guess is this is going to have Superman in it in a role similar to Tony in Homecoming

So Clark is going to date Shazams mother?

wow never thought Shazam would actually make it to production, based Johns!

You have to understand this property has been in development hell for over a decade now and being a superman pastiche doesn't really help either (though they'll probably go with the new 52 design, more magic/electricity). I guess we can expect a lead announcement at SDCC?

Also don't get the skittishness about it not having Black Adam. Marvel had jack shit villains to carry many of their unknown Ip's, Shazam has a a very interesting premise (especially for kids) that could take off if played right.

Honestly, it felt like the only reason Shazam was being considered is due to The Rock being cast as Black Adam. If he's not even it like current rumors suggest, I don't know how this managed to leap frog just about every other project on the books.

It didn't really leapfrog anyone. It was always schedule for april 2019 and production at newline. If anything happened, either other stuff (like Flash) shit the bed with production issues or new stuff was announced that hasn't been slotted yet.

J_Viper

Hope they take the time to find a decent child actor for Billy. The kids for both Clark and Diana were so bad.

You gonna post an embarassing picture of him or did you drop that act?

You have a point though. I do apologize.
It's all good dude

And nah, he's looking healthy again, so the funny pics are all over

Maddocks

Damn, people really sleeping on Shazam and saying they don't know who he is now? He is still popular, hes about to get even more popular as he is going to be showcased in Doomsday clock event for comics.

Rock is a big star here and overseas, he will live and die by his projects and he has always shown 110% enthusiasm for Black Adam and its related projects. He is the ultimate hype man.

Ryan Gosling is a kid right?

young-ryan-gosling-smirk-main.jpg

ReiGun

Everyone is talking about the Rock, but I'm more interested in the casting for Billy and Shazam. That's really where a movie like this could fall apart. You need a kid and an adult who can be endearingly bratty and convince you they are the same person.

Damn, people really sleeping on Shazam and saying they don't know who he is now? He is still popular, hes about to get even more popular as he is going to be showcased in Doomsday clock event for comics.

Rock is a big star here and overseas, he will live and die by his projects and he has always shown 110% enthusiasm for Black Adam and its related projects. He is the ultimate hype man.

Is the Doomsday stuff speculation because
of the shazam dagger in Metal?
or did someone at SDCC confirm he was going to make an appearance in Doomsday Clock?

Either way I don't think people are aware of Shazam, I think he's about the same level of awareness as GOTG was before it took off, maybe a little more because of Injustice & the dc animated projects.

If anything I think the older generation might know about him, funny enough most of the comments when I wear my Captain Marvel shirt are from older people (like 50+), and it kind of sucks that they might not recognize him because of the name change.

Everyone is talking about the Rock, but I'm more interested in the casting for Billy and Shazam. That's really where a movie like this could fall apart. You need a kid and an adult who can be endearingly bratty and convince you they are the same person.

Armie Hammer? Channing Tatum? Not sure who else I could see as Shazam.

Ashhong

"So you'll be up here with like The Rock and a bunch of famous people..."

"Uhh, yea."

lmao That was great.

I didn't hear any "Uhh"

I am thinking The Rock is in this. I'm sure announcements will be made Saturday, seems the script is done already and everything.

ReiGun

Armie Hammer? Channing Tatum? Not sure who else I could see as Shazam.
If he weren't already Thor, Chris Hemsworth would have been a good pick.

And there's still Billy to worry about, who is more important to cast than Shazam.

I'm still pulling for John Cena.

I hate that I think John Cena is a legit good choice because I find dude so incredibly corny.

But corny works for Shazam. So hey.

As an aside, speaking of WWE stars, The Miz said he would like to be Booster Gold. Which...actually kinda works. He'll never get it, of course, unless the CW comes calling.

Neophant

Shazam would work if the story takes place in a niche of the DCEU that doesn't necessarily take place within the current modern world established. Having a whole film based around the Wizard, the 6 mystical deities and the Rock of Eternity not to mention the unique supporting cast and villains, and I can only see this film work if New Line is able to establish a distinct world from what we've seen with these current crop of films. Could Justice League establish the existence of a multiverse? All these and many more questions we might not have any answers to until Saturday...and I cannot wait!

IconGrist

Shazam would work if the story takes place in a niche of the DCEU that doesn't necessarily take place within the current modern world established. Having a whole film based around the Wizard, the 6 mystical deities and the Rock of Eternity not to mention the unique supporting cast and villains, and I can only see this film work if New Line is able to establish a distinct world from what we've seen with these current crop of films. Could Justice League establish the existence of a multiverse? All these and many more questions we might not have any answers to until Saturday...and I cannot wait!

Wonder Woman's cast of characters consists of the Greek Pantheon of Gods so I don't see what's so offset about Shazam that his piece of the DC Universe wouldn't fit.

shingi70

Banned

I love Superman/Shazam first Lightning, but I do agree that Shazam is one of those character that probably should be in his own world compared to the normal DCU.

Neophant

Wonder Woman's cast of characters consists of the Greek Pantheon of Gods so I don't see what's so offset about Shazam that his piece of the DC Universe wouldn't fit.

Right, I just meant that it'd be hard to establish why Shazam is such a unique character (say, in comparison to Superman who I will admit, share very similar powers) without going deep into the magical lore of his origins. I'm not necessarily saying it won't be part of the DCEU as a whole, just that for a film it needs to be standalone and separate from the current modern-day setting of the prior movies as much as possible. I think Wonder Woman and their notion of gods and myth worked mainly cause it was set in such a distinct timeline and world.

Sambrez_

Shazam has the potential to be the movie for all, even more than Wonder Woman (which I don't intend to show to my daughter before long, despite what the common social medias says about the movie, that it's perfect for identification for little girls).

I'm sure Geoff is involved as it's his most loved character, but in his new 52 story the main villain was Black Adam. I understand the fact to keep him for a sequel, but I don't think they can avoid to introduce or tease him.

Sambrez_

Also this : https://www.comicbookmovie.com/supe...n-would-like-to-direct-man-of-steel-2-a152648

Screen Rant was one of the sites that got to chat with the crew, including writer Jane Goldman. They asked Goldman about the possibility of Kingsman director, Mathew Vaughn, helming Man of Steel 2, which he's been rumored to do for a long time. ”I know Matthew's [Vaughn] a big Superman fan," she explained. "Would I like to... I don't know. I mean I'm not sure. I think Matthew's looking at it from a directing point of view. I have no idea what's happening there."

How I would love this to happen. Mathew Vaughn has a perfect movie record for me. I watched Stardust recently and I was surprised as perfect the movie was (plus there's Cavill in it).

Armie Hammer or Channing Tatum would be great as Captain Marvel

I hope black adam doesn't get his own movie tho because I'm getting sick of the rock lately. But he's still got it as a supporting player.

Top Bottom