• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

If Arena ranks were W/L and 3 month seasons (or no seasons at all) from the beginning, although with an actually good implementation into the UI and more than one playlist, I think it would have been drastically more successful than it was..

I agree with this completely, the most annoying thing about trueskill is that if you do bad starting off, you really can't redeem yourself. With seasons, you have something to look forward to, a reset.

I love assassinations. I even feel good when I'm getting assassinated, which is rare for me to enjoy something when I'm dying. I would love to see them move forward in Reach.

When I get smacked down right at the air, I can't even be mad. Shit is funny to me.

Of course, I'm not against them being optional, IF they can be optional, IDK how that works

Striker

I bet it was awkward when one team spawned in the attic. Another example of rose tinted Halo 2 glasses. That map was complete and utter garbage half of the time because of that one spawn.
The Pit, one of your favorite maps in the series, had attic spawns. But that's okay!

The only remake I want is The Pit. And maybe Valhalla.

I'm happy leaving Halo 2 maps to rest for a bit, they've sort of been done to death in numerous iterations. And no Reach maps deserve a remake.
The only Halo 2 remakes that were done right were Reflection and Heretic. Reflection was sent to a game where the developer allowed jetpacks to roam free and ruin the experience. Heretic was great, but it came so late and I was already bored of Halo 3 so I barely played much on it.

It's fine remaking maps if they're done properly, or adjusted to the new style of gameplay. But we could get another Last Resort, Blackout, or Pinnacle, and that is something neither of us want. I'm sure we'll get remakes, I believe Frankie noted at one point we will anyways. Hopefully the new maps they're creating will be solid.

Played Halo 3 up to FLoodGate, Brutes are so awesome, hope they make some form of return in halo 4, After seeing the new elites i cant wait to see the rest of the "Covenant".

Remembering old wishlishts from back in the day, I've thought about them for 4.

Combat Knife: What if, in order to perform assasinations, you'd need to have the combat knife equipped? That way, players that want th flourish can go about saving up for the unlock or simply avoid it in order to keep doing backsmacks.

Boats: I remember seeig mockups way back in of jetskis and other boats. Essentially just mongeese and wartogs of the sea. Will Infinity ever brace Spartans for combat near water?

Mini-games during inevitable black screens: Remember that hog launching flash game from eons ago? Would't it be AWESOME to play that while hosts switch around?

I like all of these ideas! Especially the idea of mini games in the loading screens/ black screens/ matchmaking wait time.

The game is about attracting casual players though, Arena didn't do it job in Halo Reach for competitive and casual. Why give it another shot when it clearly worked in Halo 2 and Halo 3. There's a novelty behind it too which will attract a lot of older fans that left Reach after they played it and didn't like it compared to past titles. Unless 343i can execute something that's exactly like Starcraft 2 league system and not a cheap knockoff it will fail. I'll take what's best to show a person real skill either way. I'm just looking at the 50 thing from a casual aspect and what I heard from my casual friends on what they liked and didn't like from Halo 2/3 to Reach.

A ranking system is a gift to the hardcore community. A ranking system will not help attract casual players, matchmaking population numbers from 2, 3, and Reach will all support that social playlists will always be much more popular than ranked ones.

There's no correct answer lol, we'll just have to wait to see what 343 does with the situation.

kylej

Banned
since they're copying COD whole-hog, they should copy its matchmaking system for social, where you choose what you want to play instead of arbitrary playlists where you have to pray you get a gametype and map you like.

I like all of these ideas! Especially the idea of mini games in the loading screens/ black screens/ matchmaking wait time.

Mini games during loading screens is a trademark of namco its been discussed multiple times.

Boats would create large portions of the map that players cannot use without a vehicle thats bad mkay

combat knife is a great idea

since they're copying COD whole-hog, they should copy its matchmaking system for social, where you choose what you want to play instead of arbitrary playlists where you have to pray you get a gametype and map you like.
Oh, and no multiplayer achievements because they're almost universally awful.

CyReN

A ranking system is a gift to the hardcore community. A ranking system will not help attract casual players, matchmaking population numbers from 2, 3, and Reach will all support that social playlists will always be much more popular than ranked ones.

There's no correct answer lol, we'll just have to wait to see what 343 does with the situation.

If we keep bringing it up maybe Frankie or David will post

qeuye.jpg

"of course there are ranks"​

...and I can sleep normally at night once again.

TheOddOne

I wonder with the increase of XBLA achievements, will we get increased achievements for retail games? Full 2000?

lol maby next-gen

qeuye.jpg

However, the ranks will be equivalent to Reach ranks and only be used to showcase how much you play the game, regardless if you even know how to burst an AR or get a headshot!! =D

We need to be specific with our language: Will there be win/loss based or traditional competitive ranks in Halo 4?

I'm super serial about this topic. haha

Ryaaan14

Banned
Regarding ranks, I disagree that it doesn't appeal to casuals. I consider myself a pretty casual Halo player at least as far as my skill goes, but I'll be damned if that didn't keep me out of the ranked playlists in Halo 3. It was where I went when I was with competant friends and wanted to actually push for wins rather than just going into social for funtimez. Yeah I never got a 50, but it was nice having the option.

Reach's Arena however did not appeal to me whatsoever, probably because of the resets. If I worked my ass off to get a certain rank, it would be all for not next month.

Mini games during loading screens is a trademark of namco its been discussed multiple times.

Boats would create large portions of the map that players cannot use without a vehicle thats bad mkay

combat knife is a great idea

Which is exactly why I think they should be limited to host changes :p

I just imagine a hog whose wheels flip inwards when in contact with water. Give Spartans inflatable wings!!

Why do you think Harebrained Schemes is using 6wave as their publisher for Strikefleet Omega and not Bungie Aerospace again?

Also there should only be one MP achiemenent called Thats quite a high DPM. You get it after you dong on 50,000 bad kids.

I mean 2000 on day one, not with DLC etc.

1000 is the sweet spot for a retail game. 1000 more with DLC after release and thats me happy.

2000 on release would likely mean 3000 in total with DLC and thats crazy, people on my Friends list have less than that in total.

You have to balance gamescore "payouts" to preserve some level of "honour" associated with it.

Which is exactly why I think they should be limited to host changes :p

I just imagine a hog whose wheels flip inwards when in contact with water. Give Spartans inflatable wings!!

I know your joking but im fairly sure "some" form of something thats arguably "loading" happens during a host change.

I double post because im cool

qeuye.jpg

As the idea of these changes sink in, I think it's safe to say there won't be a 1-50 ranking system. I'm not sure theres going to be even an arena like playlist.

The game is heavily aiming towards the casual crowd, and competitive players keep being told, "Custom games are heavily customizable." The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to terms with the fact their won't be any kind of skill-based visible ranking system.

:/

heckfu

Banned
As the idea of these changes sink in, I think it's safe to say there won't be a 1-50 ranking system. I'm not sure theres going to be even an arena like playlist.

The game is heavily aiming towards the casual crowd, and competitive players keep being told, "Custom games are heavily customizable." The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to terms with the fact their won't be any kind of skill-based visible ranking system.

I don't care for much you have to say. When you type things like "I think it's safe to say" you clearly show you're jumping the gun quite a bit as you're grasping for straws and literally making up information.

Yeah, this is what worries me, I think that "progression system with spartan points" is going to take over, which is stupid as hell.

"Ohh I'm higher rank than you because I play 6 hours a day of team slayer and have a k/d of .5, even though you know, your k/d is a 1.7 and you play 3 hours a day.. I'm way better than you bro lolololol"

It's written in stone man. The signs are there. The paint has dried. That ship has sailed. Better to have loved and lost...

I'm trying to base conclusions of off what I've read. Not sure why the sarcasm is needed.

The bolded is exactly why. It's quite similar to hearing there will be vehicles in Halo: CE and assuming it's going to be a casual kart racing game. It's simply far too early for that.

I'm trying to base conclusions of off what I've read. Not sure why the sarcasm is needed.

Yeah, i think you have a valid thought process, because I mean, if Spartan points are like cod points, and they contribute to your "progress" which im assuming is your "rank". The only two options really left are.. put a win/loss rating/number on top of your "rank" or that time-based, less-skill based "rank" is going to be the only system in place.

I would only consider this because 343 seems to want a progression system in the game ala CoD, but would making all AAs pick-ups, but you have to unlock to use them, be a better model than what we've seen?

Probably a really fucking stupid idea, but that's my attempt to retain Halo's "everyone starts off equally" aspect and merging that with what 343 is trying to do.

The bolded is exactly why. It's quite similar to hearing there will be vehicles in Halo: CE and assuming it's going to be a casual kart racing game. It's simply far too early for that.

So my guess of no 1-50 because 343 says that there's a progression system, where you start as a recruit, and work your way up to gain new weapons and amor abilities, is the same as saying a new game that is an FPS is a race kart game because it has vehicles?

I'm sure 343 could do it like Bungie did in Halo 3, but I'm making an educated guess. Since most of the ideas that were presented in GI came from other games, I have no idea why they would keep 1-50 since no other current FPS (COD for example) that I know of uses a 1-50

heckfu

Banned
So my guess of no 1-50 because 343 says that there's a progression system, where you start as a recruit, and work your way up to gain new weapons and amor abilities, is the same as saying a new game that is an FPS is a race kart game because it has vehicles?

He's just basing conclusions off what he's read. Not sure why sarcasm is needed.

The juniors are banding against us, Hydra.

Bailout.bmp

Yah, I mean, it's one thing to get disappointed by what certain buzzwords entail. That, I can symptathise with. But saying things like it's safe to say this is heavily geared towards casuals sooooo far away from release without any concrete details is plain silly.

Also kids, never use .bmp in work emails. That shit'll clog your work inboxes faaaaast. Let's just say I was sendig in perhaps too many screenshots when I worked in QA :p

yeeeeeeeah, I think Pok3r's prediction is just a little more seasonable then the kart racing, seeing that it's based on precedent of previous Halo ranking games and not...something Hydra totally made up.

Yah, I mean, it's one thing to get disappointed by what certain buzzwords entail. That, I can symptathise with. But saying things like it's safe to say this is heavily geared towards casuals sooooo far away from release without any concrete details is plain silly.

Not silly, stupid as fuck.

I think Hydra's comparison is off because we've had over a decade of experiences in this series so there's at least something we can build off of the information that's been given.

However, I don't think a progression system like they've described has anything to do with ranked MM. Reach had progression, but that didn't overlap the attempt at a separate ranked MM, regardless of how the perceived quality of the actual implementation of that ended up.

I'm sure 343 could do it like Bungie did in Halo 3, but I'm making an educated guess. Since most of the ideas that were presented in GI came from other games, I have no idea why they would keep 1-50 since no other current FPS (COD for example) that I know of uses a 1-50

yeeeeeeeah, I think Pok3r's prediction is just a little more seasonable then the kart racing, seeing that it's based on precedent of previous Halo ranking games and not...something Hydra totally made up.

Ok guys, what if, WHAT IF, besides having a progressive level up system (as in what Reach has) it ALSO has visible numbers which are the TruSkill values (as in Halo 3). Now would you look at that, you can see who is a 50 in TS whilst also oting they've oly played the game for a few months on and off.

Jumping to conclusions; You guys are doing it right.

It's as if you look at a Fibonnachi sequence.

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 and so on...

Right now we are trying to guess what the 5th number will be. So far we have 0, 1, 1 and 2. Poker's jumping to conclusions based on past evidence is pointing out the pattern that there are one 0's and two 1's. He is assuming, because his knowledge is true, that there will be three 2's so the 5th number will also be a 2. My point is that you can't say for certain that his assumptions are true given the information we have.

Ok guys, what if, WHAT IF, besides having a progressive level up system (as in what Reach has) it ALSO has visible numbers which are the TruSkill values (as in Halo 3). Now would you look at that, you can see who is a 50 in TS whilst also oting they've oly played the game for a few months on and off.

Well you just jumped to a conclusion too.

Theres obviously a large amount of influence coming from other shooters in Halo 4. I'm not really sure about this, but I don't think anyone uses 1-50 anymore.

So why would halo do it? I mean if every other shooter has sprint, why shouldn't it be in halo? If every other shooter has custom classes, why shouldn't it be in halo? If every other shooter has a progression system, that doesn't rank skill, why shouldn't halo?

Do you at least see where I'm coming from? It's not like I'm saying "OMG DISZ GUN BE DA WORST GAME EVER, GIMME REFUND NAOW" I'm just making educated guesses.

This is exactly what we're asking for.

Top Bottom