• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh shit, zombie God? this is really the game of the fucking forever.

What beats a zombie god???
Monty Python foot??

EDIT:
noooo, zombie satan!! or a zombie atheist?

Jackson, like others have also said, I just want to commend you on this game. I seriously can't stop laughing everytime I read impressions and watch the videos. I can't wait to get a copy of it and start messing around. If there is a sequel someday, have you considered any type of multiplayer? I can only imagine the possibility of simultaneous scribble-battle-contests whatever with friends. Man, whatever you come up with I'm sure it'll be great.

Ferrio

Banned
Green Tentacle said:
Jackson, like others have also said, I just want to commend you on this game. I seriously can't stop laughing everytime I read impressions and watch the videos. I can't wait to get a copy of it and start messing around. If there is a sequel someday, have you considered any type of multiplayer? I can only imagine the possibility of simultaneous scribble-battle-contests whatever with friends. Man, whatever you come up with I'm sure it'll be great.

The idea of having battles ala Pokemon sounds hilarious.

joetachi

Green Tentacle said:
Yeah scribble battles would be epic because it will become who is more creative at countering and attacking.

Keyser Soze said:
Banana stand
glue
rope
glue
segway

I will then mount the segway and drive the banana stand around

haha that's brilliant. I just want an attic, hot tub, and one of those chicken marsala dinner things.

CTLance

Hmm. I'll use it to stage the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny. Spawn as many things that can aggro each other and have them fight it out.

Cosmozone

The more I think about the game, the more hyped I get. At first I thought you draw stuff to interact with because of the name, but this comes with more possibilities and is easier to fool around with. Great impressions. This is the first game I can think of to use actual AI (although simple) that isn't a board game. And it's been put to a good use, respect.

I'm not so sure that the Internet memes will stay in, perhaps they've been put in just for the show. I don't think the average player needs things like NeoGAF and Rawmeat Cowboy in this game.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Cosmozone said:
The more I think about the game, the more hyped I get. At first I thought you draw stuff to interact with because of the name, but this comes with more possibilities and is easier to fool around with. Great impressions. This is the first game I can think of to use actual AI (although simple) that isn't a board game. And it's been put to a good use, respect.

I'm not so sure that the Internet memes will stay in, perhaps they've been put in just for the show. I don't think the average player needs things like NeoGAF and Rawmeat Cowboy in this game.

If the assets are in, why take it out? It's not like the average player will ever find them.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/05/scribblenauts-passes-our-ten-word-challenge-with-flying-colors/

1. Internet -- While we thought the developer wouldn't bother including something as intangible as the intarwebs, entering the word actually spawns a little computer. A little adorable computer. Scribblenauts 1, ******* 0.

2. Tattoo -- How could the game possibly render a piece of body art? By spawning a sheet of temporary tattoos, of course. Clever, Scribblenauts. Very clever.

3. Air -- How could you even tell if the game spawned air? Inputting this word creates a tiny puff of air that, when dragged and dropped, is absorbed into the surrounding air. 3-0.

4. Molecule -- No object is too small for Scribblenauts' vocabulary. We entered molecule, and received a tiny model of a molecule in turn.

5. Scribblenauts -- Instead of causing the game to become self-aware, an event that would certainly lead to the destruction of mankind, entering Scribblenauts causes the original character model for Maxwell, the game's protagonist, to appear.

6. Narwhal -- Not only did it cause a horn-touting whale to appear, but we were able to ride atop its back, crossing the liquid divide between us and a Starite. Incredible.

7. Lutefisk -- Sure enough, a bright white fish appeared and began to flop around the level. Oddly enough, a previously spawned Santa Claus ran up and ate the Lutefisk. He must have a cast-iron stomach.

8. Plumbob -- No dice! The game's lead designer was hanging over our shoulder as we entered in this unrecognized word. He quickly asked what it was, pulled out his phone and feverishly sent some unknown party a text message. "Okay," he said. "It'll be in the final product."

9. Stanchion -- The bulk of us actually thought this word was made up -- but Scribblenauts managed to spawn a weight-bearing post, which is apparently what a stanchion is.

10. ******* -- Upon entering *******, the game brought up the spell check menu, asking us if we meant to spell "Joystick." We're willing to count this, but we're hoping 5th Cell can manage to include some representation of our site in the final product.

Final score: Scribblenauts: 9, *******: 1. Good game, 5th Cell. Good game, indeed.

Awesome.

Ashodin

8. Plumbob -- No dice! The game's lead designer was hanging over our shoulder as we entered in this unrecognized word. He quickly asked what it was, pulled out his phone and feverishly sent some unknown party a text message. "Okay," he said. "It'll be in the final product."

Awesome. Simply awesome.

I love the Narwhal shit!

MirageDwarf said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/05/scribblenauts-passes-our-ten-word-challenge-with-flying-colors/

Awesome.

by plumbob, I hope they mean the little icon over a sims head, and not the other two definitions that urban dictionary gives...

bounchfx said:
I'm curious, if you summon god, then summon an Atheist... what happens? does god disappear? XD

maybe the atheist runs away scared? or his head explodes?

batbeg

MirageDwarf said:

Awesome.

I'm probably just going to play this game with a dictionary. Like, that'll be my stategy guide for the freeplay mode or something.

Jesus Christ Jackson, you must be grinning ear to ear with the ridiculous praise you're getting, especially from the normally so difficult to please GAF, claiming Scribblenauts as game of E3. This really, honestly will go down in videogame history, and is a ridiculous accomplishment.

Jackson

batbeg said:
I'm probably just going to play this game with a dictionary. Like, that'll be my stategy guide for the freeplay mode or something.

Jesus Christ Jackson, you must be grinning ear to ear with the ridiculous praise you're getting, especially from the normally so difficult to please GAF, claiming Scribblenauts as game of E3. This really, honestly will go down in videogame history, and is a ridiculous accomplishment.

:D

Honestly, since the first time we showed off the idea up until now people are always blown away, yet I'm still pleased and surprised by the reactions it gets from the hardcore, to kids, to non-gamers. Everyone loves it.

Phthisis

Maxrpg said:

Just as an aside, I had this exact same thing happen two different times at E3 with two different developers and two different friends of mine on two different games. My friends suggested something or another for their next game, and both devs pulled out their phones and texted home base with the suggestions.

I felt like I was watching game development in action.

Ashodin

Jackson said:

Honestly, since the first time we showed off the idea up until now people are always blown away, yet I'm still pleased and surprised by the reactions it gets from the hardcore, to kids, to non-gamers. Everyone loves it.
What happens when you type in Megaman?

Have you contacted other companies to use their licensed characters in-game?

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Maxrpg said:
What happens when you type in Megaman?

Have you contacted other companies to use their licensed characters in-game?

That'll be for Scribblenauts: Spongebob Edition

batbeg

Jackson said:

I can't wait to get this into the hands of my little brother, I imagine it'll do wonders for his imagination and help with spelling. So long as WB properly advertise it (which I'm sure they will), this thing should basically sell itself by the truckload. I know Drawn 2 Life was already a huge success for you, but I'm hoping this sends 5th Cell into the stratosphere.

Aaaah, the wait for this is absolute murder :( Is it fall yet?

Pseudo_Sam said:
That'll be for Scribblenauts: Spongebob Edition

:lol

This makes me wonder though, is Scribblenauts a fully owned 5th Cell IP Jackson?

Okay, I got two pages in, and I'm totally hooked. I'm not reading anymore, because the whole thread in and of itself will turn into a spoiler thread just by existing, and I want to discover these things on my own.

My question, and it's probably already been answered, is this is just coming to the DS, right? Is there any technical reason why it couldn't come on another platform? Watching the videos, I didn't see anything that would prevent it from being on say, a PSP, outside of constantly having to pull up a keyboard-but it looks like you do everything on the bottom screen of the DS anyway.

An iPhone port of this would sell so many copies...

Speevy

Banned
I really think this game sounds amazing, and I wasn't trying to demean it earlier in the thread.

As a matter of fact, I wish the team all the success in the world and hope the game gets sequels, and perhaps even spinoffs to other systems (like a Wii version, for example).

BorkBork

Battlezone said:
Okay, I got two pages in, and I'm totally hooked. I'm not reading anymore, because the whole thread in and of itself will turn into a spoiler thread just by existing, and I want to discover these things on my own.

My question, and it's probably already been answered, is this is just coming to the DS, right? Is there any technical reason why it couldn't come on another platform? Watching the videos, I didn't see anything that would prevent it from being on say, a PSP, outside of constantly having to pull up a keyboard-but it looks like you do everything on the bottom screen of the DS anyway.

An iPhone port of this would sell so many copies...

You can't spoil the game. Read on, because it keeps getting better.

Blizzard

Banned
Maxrpg said:
Checking dictionary.reference.com, plumbob doesn't show up. "Plumb bob" does, also known as "plummet", and wikipedia calls it a "plumbob". I wonder if a plummet was actually already in the game and that site just messed it up. :D

Oh, and about God beating everything, someone mentioned apparently Death beats God (lame). But I forget if anything can get rid of Death. :( That would be tough.
<religion>If Jesus beats Death that'd be amazing, but I imagine they're steering clear of most religion or controversy.</religion>

I'm curious how extensive the physics modeling stuff is, and how creative you can get with stuff like ropes, pullies, glue, ramps, wheels, and catapults.

mclem

bounchfx said:
I'm curious, if you summon god, then summon an Atheist... what happens? does god disappear? XD
I'm more interested in whether the atheist looks like Richard Dawkins :)

mclem

Blizzard said:
Oh, and about God beating everything, someone mentioned apparently Death beats God (lame). But I forget if anything can get rid of Death. :( That would be tough.
<religion>If Jesus beats Death that'd be amazing, but I imagine they're steering clear of most religion or controversy.</religion>

Surely the one thing that can defeat Death should be a Potion?

BorkBork

Plaguefox said:
“Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Athiest, "Scribblenauts is a dead giveaway, isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn’t thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

This thread now contain Red Dwarf, Holy Grail, and Hitchhiker references. Approaching epic levels of awesome.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What happens when you type in "singularity"?

JaMarco

Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
gotdamn.gif

GDGF

Soothsayer
Knights, a vorpal bunny, and a holy hand grenade for the win.

(can't wait to see those new movies, btw :))

Top Bottom