• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subscribed to this thread. I'm so excited for the premiere. My favourite scene in season 1 was when all the Northmen bow to Robb. It gave me chills.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That kinda blew my mind too. Did they ever say how much time passed between the two pilots? She looks like she aged a LOT.
Pilot was filmed in October/November 2009. The first season started filming in July 2010 and finished in December 2010.

Valravn

Renly has to pass as a king wearing that crown? Seriously, it looks like a souvenir you find in in a random gift shop.

zbeeb

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I found it hilarious!

3427408_460s.jpg

Salvadora

Speaking of Osha, GRRM's commentary was interesting because he mentioned that she was completely different in the TV series than how he envisioned her, but he liked her portrayal so much that he's (series)
probably going to start writing the character to be more in line with the TV version of the character.

I don't like this.

Yeah thats a major downside of him
not finishing the novels before them making a TV show/movie out of it. You need to execute your vision in your own way.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah thats a major downside of him
not finishing the novels before them making a TV show/movie out of it. You need to execute your vision in your own way.

I don't know how we can possibly call it a "downside" when we haven't even seen any of the writing that resulted from that decision. Also I don't know where you guys think writers get their ideas from, but sometimes they are inspired by outside events or other people's takes on their stories. Writers don't mentally create a story before they start writing and then never change it again. There is nothing inherently wrong with him watching the show, seeing their portrayal of Osha, and getting some sort of ideas from it.

There is nothing inherently wrong with him watching the show, seeing their portrayal of Osha, and him getting some sort of ideas from it.
Right but we're not talking about "ideas"; we're talking about a somewhat dramatic revision of the character.

Also yes, people shoot the shit when writing, bounce ideas off each other, etc., but from the little writing I've done I can say that it's counterproductive and self-indulgent to look to your past successes when you should be putting pen to paper and moving on.

I'm concerned that Martin is starting to believe his own hype.

Lactose's response to Dinklage's answer is the spoiler, but whatever. I don't understand how it's so difficult to have a mod police this thread.

Last year we had Amirox but he was demoted.

Lactose's response to Dinklage's answer is the spoiler, but whatever. I don't understand how it's so difficult to have a mod police this thread.

Last year we had Amirox but he was demoted.

I just don't want to be spoiled. If an actor who hasn't read the books, hopes that his character meets a happy end, and someone responds "lol", its not difficult to assume that the character will not, in fact, meet a happy end.

If it was just musing on how unhappy all the characters are, then my apologies. But it seemed awfully specific for that to be so.

If it was just musing on how unhappy all the characters are, then my apologies. But it seemed awfully specific for that to be so.
That's all it really is. More specific information is a problem, but being amused with Dinklage's hopes for Tyrion given how harsh a world GRRM has created doesn't really amount to much in my mind.

I don't understand how it's so difficult to have a mod police this thread.
If you see a specific problem with something, send a PM to a mod. There are way too many posts in TV GAF (and the OT in general) for mods to keep a close eye on everything that happens here. Other than that, just ask the poster to edit their post - most of the time we can solve spoiler problems that way.

They've posted the character feature for Stannis now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VARwvVJxnYw

Melisandre sounds great.
Thanks for posting that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
people that think lol is a spoiler need to have their head checked. You have seen season 1 right? No one is happy. The world is not a happy place
That's what I interpreted your "lol" to be when you posted that, like a "no one gets happy in this story, lol", but then the following comments saying it was a spoiler got me overthinking about it. Sometimes whining about a possible spoiler is what actually gets people spoiled. Lol.

People should let it be if someone goofs in the thread and just PM a mod or something. Or PM the poster in question asking them to use the spoiler tag. Don't start replying to that person nonstop while elaborating on why such and such is a huge spoiler, more often than not that makes things worse to the other posters who wouldn't even catch that to begin with.

Only 10 episodes again? Damn

That Seven Devil's trailer gave me chills. Absolutely perfect. This is going to be so amazing

NOW IF ONLY I HAD HBO! :(

Anyway, to celebrate, have a song about the series from my favorite band! No spoilers, and the way the song is constructed beautifully conveys the haunting and melancholy atmosphere of Westeros. I love this song, so so much

War of the Thrones

I cannot escape it seems, sadly I sing

BONUS!: Blind Guardian's song about Bran Stark (Vague spoilers about the character if you haven't read through book 3)

Anyway, to celebrate, have a song about the series from my favorite band! No spoilers, and the way the song is constructed beautifully conveys the haunting and melancholy atmosphere of Westeros. I love this song, so so much

War of the Thrones

I cannot escape it seems, sadly I sing

BONUS!: Blind Guardian's song about Bran Stark (Vague spoilers about the character if you haven't read through book 3)

That War of the Thrones song is friggin awesome

Famassu

Speaking of Osha, GRRM's commentary was interesting because he mentioned that she was completely different in the TV series than how he envisioned her, but he liked her portrayal so much that he's (series)
probably going to start writing the character to be more in line with the TV version of the character.
Umm.. are you sure you heard that right? From what I remember, GRRM has said (series spoilers)
he'd give her a bigger role since she likes her in the TV series so much. At least in the past he hasn't talked much about actually changing book-her or anything.

Fuzzy

I used to think that it would better if the actors knew more of that back story that comes in later books, but the way the show writers are changing things maybe it is for the best.
I always thought that if there's information an actor needs to know about their character for their performance then it's the responsibility of the producers/directors to tell them.

calza

Series spoilers
No, Stannis doesn't really have anything against the Starks, at least not if they swear loyalty to him. If not, THEN he sees them as the enemy, but even then as soon as Robb would stop his "rebellion", he'd probably forgive them, especially since he's in need of powerful allies.

COK Spoiler
why would he forgive them? He cut off the tops of Davos's finger for smuggling even though it was Davos who saved him and Storm's End during the siege.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I used to think that it would better if the actors knew more of that back story that comes in later books, but the way the show writers are changing things maybe it is for the best.
Even if they were following the book verbatim I think it's an interesting approach. What I hope is that they always get the actors in the know about future information the characters themselves already know at that point in time (not necessarily the full back story), otherwise you risk getting random inappropriate looks and body language in some scenes, which becomes more obvious when you watch/rewatch a series like this already aware of everyone's motivations. That can be solved solely by the directing too of course, but it's much better if the actors fully know how to react to a certain reveal imo.

edit: sort of beaten by Fuzzy.

Meier

Missed that Seven Devils trailer until now.. thanks Cornballer! Been a big fan of Flo's for many years now so I'm glad some new folks are being introduced to her.

bengraven

(Spoilering the name because people might be on complete blackout and want to go into S2 and if I don't want a riot):

Melisandre
is hot.

Fuzzy

(Spoilering the name because people might be on complete blackout and want to go into S2 and if I don't want a riot):

Melisandre
is hot.
Anyone that is on a complete blackout shouldn't enter a thread like this at all.

Famassu

COK Spoiler
why would he forgive them? He cut off the tops of Davos's finger for smuggling even though it was Davos who saved him and Storm's End during the siege.
COK SPOILERS
Because, as I said, he needs allies. He could take on King's Landing alone (well, could have if it wasn't for Tyrion's excellent plans), but not King's Landing AND the north. There would probably be some repercussions, but he'd let them live as long as they proved to be loyal, just like Davos. Remember, Robb's aim is the shitheads at King's Landing, so Stannis could probably forgive the rebellion as something that was directed towards the Lannisters, not him, if they backed away. Of course, Robb doesn't do that... But hypothetically speaking, Stannis WOULD forgive the North for the rebellion if they joined him, just like he doesn't slaughter everyone who were part of Renly's army before... well, you know.

bengraven

Anyone that is on a complete blackout shouldn't enter a thread like this at all.

I was actually mocking the Walking Dead thread.

New character popped up on the series finale and the comic readers were calling out her name excitedly. People were literally pissing themselves in anger that someone would say her name, despite the fact that every major entertainment news website is playing the story of her casting today with the character's name obviously included.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I was actually mocking the Walking Dead thread.

New character popped up on the series finale and the comic readers were calling out her name excitedly. People were literally pissing themselves in anger that someone would say her name, despite the fact that every major entertainment news website is playing the story of her casting today with the character's name obviously included.

People are naive.

Saying a person's name is not the same as say, going into the character's history and going into detail all of the things the character does in the future. The latter is spoilers, the former is a name.

Would they be upset if we just yelled out a random name instead of the real one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom