• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

frontieruk

These are words and terms, but the have no meaning to me. lol

Well the tcr is a giant bike, it's the first compact frame roadie right? dura ace group set, name sticker. He self branded his bike??

Brought my mountain goat legs out the other day. Great weather resulted in a brilliant view. (Plus a few PB's). Though I now need a new BB.

Cannondales always look sexy, and you have some lovely riding round by you.

The New Forest is lovely to look at but it's quite flat, just a few hills here and there :(

Though we always giggle when we pass through here

T8SC

Cannondales always look sexy, and you have some lovely riding round by you.

The New Forest is lovely to look at but it's quite flat, just a few hills here and there :(

Though we always giggle when we pass through here

I should really take more photos of it in nice areas but I rarely stop for cafes or any other reason other than traffic/junctions. I do try to lift my head sometimes to take in the scenery though ... sometimes.

Nice name for the segment :-D that the name of the road or just what someone named it?

robox

get the one that fits better!
they're slightly different sizes 54 vs 56 and being in the wrong position would affect your enjoyment

mYm|17|

get the one that fits better!
they're slightly different sizes 54 vs 56 and being in the wrong position would affect your enjoyment

Going to get fitted at a bike shop in DT Portland tomorrow and going to go try out the bike on saturday. Hopefully things go well.

Addnan

Cheap-ish Oakleys here:

Radar http://www.wiggle.co.uk/oakley-radar-ev-path-tour-de-france/
jawbreaker http://www.wiggle.co.uk/oakley-jawbreaker-prizm-ruby

Got them price matched at Evans... Must admit, the lens are very different to the fake stuff.

YYswnAF.jpg

I was just looking at the back of a Shot Bloks packet.

"Do not exceed the recommended daily dose".

"Recommended daily dose: 4 pieces".

I've had 8 packs before in a day... 48 pieces. lol

Are you sure they don't mean in a single serving? They're just balls of glucose so I don't see why it'd be bad, but I guess they do it to prevent people from eating them who aren't working out.

I see so many people around my office eating 'energy' bars and shit but just as snacks.

Are you sure they don't mean in a single serving? They're just balls of glucose so I don't see why it'd be bad, but I guess they do it to prevent people from eating them who aren't working out.

I see so many people around my office eating 'energy' bars and shit but just as snacks.

It's the caffeine, and it's definitely written per day. It's the same on the Zero Xtreme tabs I use (though they have a SHITLOAD) of caffeine in them.

kottila

Have a crack in my seat tube and it's impossible to keep the seat post from dropping and creaking throughout the ride. Guess it's time to buy a new bike. probably just get a caad12 or something similar and noT one of the expensive options I've been daydreaming of

Gray Matter

Very hilly training ride for me tomorrow. Not the craziest, 55 miles with about 3200 ft. What are some of the way you guys tackle hills?

I found that that my normal pedal stroke on flats isn't very effective on the climbs, instead of pushing like in the flats, I pull, which (for me) use a different set of muscles, mainly calves and the back of my thighs. But due to those muscles not being very developed it's a pain and typically don't last very long pulling instead of pushing.

The whole pulling thing is a complete waste of time unless you're on technical terrain. The most efficient pedalstroke has you unweighting your leg just enough so that it's not affecting your downstroke.

There's been a shitload of research into it, and in short, our brains just don't use that many different muscles at once that efficiently, even with practice.

If you want to go up hills faster, get lighter, or get fitter.

Very hilly training ride for me tomorrow. Not the craziest, 55 miles with about 3200 ft. What are some of the way you guys tackle hills?

I found that that my normal pedal stroke on flats isn't very effective on the climbs, instead of pushing like in the flats, I pull, which (for me) use a different set of muscles, mainly calves and the back of my thighs. But due to those muscles not being very developed it's a pain and typically don't last very long pulling instead of pushing.

You shouldn't really be "pushing" on the flats either. There's a fluidity to the pedal stroke that shouldn't feel like a push or a pull.

Gray Matter

You shouldn't really be "pushing" on the flats either. There's a fluidity to the pedal stroke that shouldn't feel like a push or a pull.

I think this due to the "problem" I mentioned here a few weeks ago where I don't ever feel like I'm the right gear. Someone (I believe it was you) said that it is a wheel problem and not a component one.

That being said, I did feel that when I pull while climbing I go faster. Might be placebo effect

I think this due to the "problem" I mentioned here a few weeks ago where I don't ever feel like I'm the right gear. Someone (I believe it was you) said that it is a wheel problem and not a component one.

That being said, I did feel that when I pull while climbing I go faster. Might be placebo effect

ah I remember that, are you a 1x or 2x (1 or 2 rings up front) because that's a side effect of running that set up. The only other option is to mess with the ratios a bit, but the easiest would be a rear cog.

Gray Matter

ah I remember that, are you a 1x or 2x (1 or 2 rings up front) because that's a side effect of running that set up. The only other option is to mess with the ratios a bit, but the easiest would be a rear cog.

I'm on a standard compact cranks, with a 11-32 in the back. I haven't had the opportunity to try new wheels and see how I would fare with new ones, but I'm starting to suspect you might be right about the wheels. Ever since you mentioned that, I've been doing a ton of research about the gains of new wheels and it's almost, according to the numerous articles and videos, that wheels are a top priority upgrade.

Gray Matter

Are you talking physical wheels or your gear ratio? Wheels will help but only in making the bike lighter, it's not going to make finding a gear any easier.

Both. I need a new pair of wheels, no doubt. They don't have to be a $2-3k wheelset, but definitely something more robust. Also, I want to upgrade to an 11 speed cassette, its pretty much the standard.

Number one priority in rolling terrain is conservation of speed and knowing which hills you can power over. As a fat guy learning it has been my lifeline.

edit: also for the never in the right gear problem, practice riding at high cadences. If you can build a range of comfortable cadences, gearing will matter less. Cross country mountain biking is excellent for that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Number one priority in rolling terrain is conservation of speed and knowing which hills you can power over. As a fat guy learning it has been my lifeline.

edit: also for the never in the right gear problem, practice riding at high cadences. If you can build a range of comfortable cadences, gearing will matter less. Cross country mountain biking is excellent for that.

I actually enjoy cadence on steep hills. If I can maintain 7mph up a ridiculous steep hill there's a point where it becomes easy and hypnotic. I'm riding a hybrid with 700cs though so it's geared and has perfect geometry for exactly that.

Laekon

Did my first road ride in probably a year. 18.5 miles at just over 15mph. Its been so long my tires were completely flat, my Garmin was dead, and my chain lube had solidified. Was faster then I thought I would be but had no power. Trying to decide if I should get a gym membership and work on lifting for power and building some muscle to help keep weight off. I'm terrible at deciding on spending money things that are good for me versus ones that obviously are not.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Did my first road ride in probably a year. 18.5 miles at just over 15mph. Its been so long my tires were completely flat, my Garmin was dead, and my chain lube had solidified. Was faster then I thought I would be but had no power. Trying to decide if I should get a gym membership and work on lifting for power and building some muscle to help keep weight off. I'm terrible at deciding on spending money things that are good for me versus ones that obviously are not.

You can do a lot of really meaningful strength training ON your bike, either IRL or on a trainer.

Tales from my ass/subjective experience but: I found that especially quads and gluteus got bigger and stronger faster by riding (esp hills, low gearing) than they ever did lifting and squatting.

For you mountain duders, what shoes are you riding? I'm about to warranty my second pair of Giro Empire VR90s and I think I'm over them. I love love love a lace system, but they fall apart way too easily for the price and the carbon sole can really get chewed up from the cleats.

Weight training doesn't equate to power so the best thing that will come from it is correction of muscle imbalances.

Gray Matter

Good training ride today. 3600 feet, but it felt like a lot less as there was a lot of flats in the middle of the ride. Hills weren't as bad as I expected, but still some good ones.

I wasn't pulling a lot on the climbs, I guess it only "works" on short steep climbs for me, again might be a placebo effect.

Laekon

You can do a lot of really meaningful strength training ON your bike, either IRL or on a trainer.

Tales from my ass/subjective experience but: I found that especially quads and gluteus got bigger and stronger faster by riding (esp hills, low gearing) than they ever did lifting and squatting.

Weight training doesn't equate to power so the best thing that will come from it is correction of muscle imbalances.

As a bigger guy, 5'11" 210lbs right now, climbing has always been my issue. It became a bigger deal after moving to So Cal. I live on the inland side of the Santa Monica mtns/Malibu Canyons and go through these cycles of not riding because I'm bored of the same routes but haven't ridden enough to be fit for the steeper climbs needed to branch out. I know cycling strength is very specific but I've never tried lifting and was hoping it could be jump in fitness.

As for mtn bike shoes 2 years ago when I was riding a lot I switched from the Sidi Dominator to the Giro Gauge. I had the Sidis forever, like over a decade, and only got rid of them cause they smelled so bad. I like the Giro's but they are showing a lot of wear for the miles on them. It's hard to recommend Sidi though because they seem to really be falling behind in tech and weigh a lot. We have the new Sphyre from Shimano at the shop I work at and they are really nice. I don't like laces so can't help you there.

Has done in my experience. I can directly correlate my squat strength to all of my power records sub 60 seconds.

I guess should be more specific in that it won't suddenly make you a better rider if the other mechanics are wrong. From what I've read weights seem to be more about keeping the body in balance than developing out right power.

Sure, if I didn't have the engine it would be meaningless.

But sometimes you just need the brute force to grip the bars and snap the bike in half. :D

I could certainly use some upper body strength. My mountain bike skills lack severely because of how tired my upper body can get, which then messes with my confidence to even try a simple log roll.

teepo

they went over cross training with weights on one of the trainer road podcasts. coach chad made a point that even our grandparents can easily push 200-300 watts on a bike though the question of them being able to hold those watts is less about strength and more about fitness.

they went over cross training with weights on one of the trainer road podcasts. coach chad made a point that even our grandparents can easily push 200-300 watts on a bike though the question of them being able to hold those watts is less about strength and more about fitness.

The trainer road lot aren't big fans of strength training, but I personally think they're missing a trick, ESPECIALLY for mountain bikers. Because I've actually had pretty significant strength (in the past) I can definitely tell the difference when I'm handling short sprints, twisting singletrack and popping off jumps and the like. Funnily enough, I was feeling a lack of strength on my ride yesterday because my triceps were barely handling some very severe rocky downhills. Definitely something I need to work on now I'm injury free again.

On that subject of yesterday's ride... that's basically it for the Leadville training.

Two weeks to taper and hopefully deal with some pretty damn serious levels of fatigue whilst staying fairly fit.

God knows if it's going to be enough.

ShapeGSX

Good training ride today. 3600 feet, but it felt like a lot less as there was a lot of flats in the middle of the ride. Hills weren't as bad as I expected, but still some good ones.

I wasn't pulling a lot on the climbs, I guess it only "works" on short steep climbs for me, again might be a placebo effect.

I had a similar ride (with a group) yesterday. 3615ft of climbing over 58.7mi. 17.3mph average. I started off really strong, but started to feel the previous day's 38mi about halfway through the ride. With 10mi to go, my legs were toast.

What killed me was the 15% grade hill in the middle of the ride. That was the first time I questioned my choice of mid-compact (36/52) for my chainrings.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1109209482

Gray Matter

I had a similar ride (with a group) yesterday. 3615ft of climbing over 58.7mi. 17.3mph average. I started off really strong, but started to feel the previous day's 38mi about halfway through the ride. With 10mi to go, my legs were toast.

What killed me was the 15% grade hill in the middle of the ride. That was the first time I questioned my choice of mid-compact (36/52) for my chainrings.

What's your opinion on the mid compact chain rings? I've been thinking about switching.

Also, were not too far apart from each other. If you want some hills, come ride around northwest CT.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1109353449/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1501446714

I wasn't going to fast, just cruising.

ShapeGSX

What's your opinion on the mid compact chain rings? I've been thinking about switching.

Also, were not too far apart from each other. If you want some hills, come ride around northwest CT.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1109353449/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1501446714

I wasn't going to fast, just cruising.

Honestly, 36/52 isn't that much different from 34/50. I think I calculated that the 28 with a 34 is like a 27 with a 36 (that makes sense in my head, but probably doesn't make much sense written out).

And I never felt like I was ever "spinning out" on compact with an 11-28 cassette. I'd probably go back to compact if the opportunity arose. It's just that I bought the bike without a crank and the only option that Amazon had in stock for 2 day shipment at the time was mid compact. And that was what the bike originally came with. So I figured why not give it a shot?

I was thinking of trying Mt Greylock, and friends say you really want to have a compact there, and maybe even an 11-32 cassette. I need a long cage derailleur in the back for an 11-32, though, and DI2 derailleurs are not cheap enough for me to consider that. :) Although, a friend did extend his derailleur hanger with a "wolf tooth", and that seems like a cheaper/better way to do it.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

I gave you a follow on Strava! It's hilly around central mass, but the Berkshires start getting "mountainy." :) I'd love to give it a try sometime.

So I got home late last night from riding across Iowa. I had never been to the state before, but knew that humidity and the smell of pig shit would be strong. I was right on both accounts. Happily, those were the only two downsides to the ride.

My entire team rode everyday and completed the entire week of cycling without wrecking. We enjoyed camping at fairgrounds and high school lawns (we used the Ragbrai shuttle to carry our gear). Riding with 10-20,000 people is really intense. The diversity of bikes (beater cruisers to $15,000 race bikes), rider experience (some folks struggled even getting started to peddle), and riding styles (pacelines to tootling along) made for a bit of a chaotic ride each day. Each morning was spent trying to stay out of the way of the kooks who don't know how to ride a bike or communicate their intention of passing or merging. The kooks would slowly drift behind or ahead of us and we were left with more open roads. Once that happened it made for a great 4-5 hours on the bike.

The great thing about Ragbrai is that most stops are between 5 to 20 miles apart, so breaks are part of the 40-70 mile daily rides. These breaks involved a lot of food (pork chops, breakfast burritos, salmon pesto pasta, corndogs, pie, ice cream, peanut butter, jelly and pickle sandwiches (strangely quite tasty), water and beer on occasion) and walking bikes through small towns.

We had one day of cross/headwind. I am a big dude, so I had a paceline behind me for the majority of the 70ish miles of the ride. I got involved in several very strong pacelines throughout the week and was promptly dropped by the majority of them (I can't maintain 27 mph even while drafting). I did stick with a few and had a blast tearing down a closed road.

One of my favorite moments was a very nice couple from Denver on a Comotion tandem leading me down a small, steep valley road at 47 mph. I try not to go that fast, but the whole road was closed for us and the pavement was fresh, smooth and dry. It was really fun.

On the last day we had over 3000 feet of climbing over 46 miles. One of the climbs was a pretty sustained, steep pitch and bonked me pretty hard. The descents made it worth it though. Sadly, I came around a corner at somewhere around 35 mph and there was a rider on the ground, very bloody and not moving. Luckily, there were folks already stabilizing him, so I didn't have to stop. There were other wrecks (including one on the first day only three miles out of town) that I witnessed. I saw at least three ambulances each day going to pick up riders who wrecked.

I'm kinda bummed out that my cycling computer malfunctioned on two of the days, so I couldn't upload those rides to Strava. I have the memories though and that is way more important.

I am going to give my taint a few days off before I get back on the bike. There was no amount of Chamois Butt'r and baby powder to keep me from getting fire crotch. That was the only real injury/pain that I truly suffered over the course of the week.

Overall, I would recommend riding Ragbrai if you love the culture of bikes. The majority of the people I talked with on the ride, in town, and while camping were real bike nerds and just loved being out there peddling with other like minded individuals. Each night was a party (if you can stay up past 8PM) and each day was a beautify time riding bikes. It's a beautiful way to spend a week.

Laekon

I use to live just a short distance from the start of that ride. Its interesting how much the elevation can add up with no single climb over 200ft. Then when I moved to So Cal it became interesting trying to make up routes with under 1k of climbing in 15 miles unless you road the coast.

ShapeGSX

I use to live just a short distance from the start of that ride. Its interesting how much the elevation can add up with no single climb over 200ft. Then when I moved to So Cal it became interesting trying to make up routes with under 1k of climbing in 15 miles unless you road the coast.

Yeah, this area really is great for planning out rides. So many crisscrossing roads and choices. Climbs if you want to do them. And rolling hills otherwise. But no real "flat" terrain to speak of.

Overall, I would recommend riding Ragbrai if you love the culture of bikes. The majority of the people I talked with on the ride, in town, and while camping were real bike nerds and just loved being out there peddling with other like minded individuals. Each night was a party (if you can stay up past 8PM) and each day was a beautify time riding bikes. It's a beautiful way to spend a week.

Sounds awesome.

Sounds super awesome. I was wondering if you were going to come back and talk about it.

Gray Matter

Honestly, 36/52 isn't that much different from 34/50. I think I calculated that the 28 with a 34 is like a 27 with a 36 (that makes sense in my head, but probably doesn't make much sense written out).

And I never felt like I was ever "spinning out" on compact with an 11-28 cassette. I'd probably go back to compact if the opportunity arose. It's just that I bought the bike without a crank and the only option that Amazon had in stock for 2 day shipment at the time was mid compact. And that was what the bike originally came with. So I figured why not give it a shot?

I was thinking of trying Mt Greylock, and friends say you really want to have a compact there, and maybe even an 11-32 cassette. I need a long cage derailleur in the back for an 11-32, though, and DI2 derailleurs are not cheap enough for me to consider that. :) Although, a friend did extend his derailleur hanger with a "wolf tooth", and that seems like a cheaper/better way to do it.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

I gave you a follow on Strava! It's hilly around central mass, but the Berkshires start getting "mountainy." :) I'd love to give it a try sometime.

Hm, so I guess I'm good with my compact chain rings, although I do have a 11-32 tiagra cassette, in the future I'm most likely going to upgrade to an ultegra set and get that sweet 11 speed.

Also, Mt. greylock? Have you done it before? A group of friends and I are also thinking about doing that climb, I've never done something like that, I love hills/climbing so it's right up my alley.

Top Bottom