• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hot Shots Golf 5 Info and Screens

Slaylock

Here are the release dates for the Hot Shots Golf series:

HSG1
JP 07/17/97
US 04/30/98

HSG2
JP 07/29/99
US 02/29/00

HSG3
JP 07/26/01
US 03/11/02

HSG Fore
JP 11/27/03
US 08/17/04

HSG Open Tee
JP 12/12/04
US 05/03/05

HSG5
JP 07/26/07
US TBD

I've always heard this game is being released here in October, but given the history of the series, and the fact we haven't heard a concrete date from Sony, I would not be surprised to see this slip into next year.

KnuckaWut

US version of the game always gets different characters

im sure it will be at least 6 months before we get our version. :'''(

el Diablo

Banned
KnuckaWut said:
US version of the game always gets different characters

im sure it will be at least 6 months before we get our version. :'''(

The latest one released for the PSP was totally unaltered. New trend or an anomaly, who knows here's hoping that it's the norm now.

I3rand0

el Diablo said:
New trend or an anomaly, who knows here's hoping that it's the norm now.
So true I HATE when they **** up the NA version by changing the characters and shit. HGS 1 is still my favorite.

agent069

Banned
Man, this game looks so cute and fun, I wish there was a cute golf game like that on Wii, what 's wrong with Nintendo, where's my god damned Mario Golf or Wii Golf?Wii Golf completely spoiled me on those timing/jauge based golf games :(

Koren

neojubei said:
Whoa, I didn't know this game had an online mode.
More than online mode, I hope there'll be online players. European MnG was dead online after three weeks.

agent069 said:
Man, this game looks so cute and fun, I wish there was a cute golf game like that on Wii, what 's wrong with Nintendo, where's my god damned Mario Golf or Wii Golf?
Probably still quite far away with Camelot departure :( I'm playing Pangya instead, but this game has some shortcomings :(

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so tempted to import. I just worry the online won't work from the States. This is easily my most wanted PS3 game though, and one of the reasons I bought a PS3. Decisions decisions!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm importing, online be damned. i don't see that online is such a big deal in a golf game. it's not a directly competitive sport

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
if albatross18 has taught me anything, it's that online golf is freakin awesome. unfortunately, that means ill be waiting for the US version :(

tyler

There's no reason to believe we can't get online with the JPN version. With other PS3 games that restrict online you just join the servers from the game's region.

MadFuzzy

One bit of news is supposedly if you still have the demo installed, when you boot up the full game it will unlock an extra character for you from the start of the game (Suzuke), rather than forcing you to unlock him via normal gameplay.

Dachande

I loved the demo of this, but one problem I did have with it was that when tapping left and right on the d-pad to alter the direction of your shot, it occasionally got 'stuck' after a random number of taps and would careen all the way over in the direction you were trying to turn until you pressed the opposite direction on the d-pad. Very, very annoying.

Am I missing something in the way you have to alter your shots (mostly for putting when the green is sloped), or was this a (supremely annoying) bug that won't be in the final version? Because I don't think I could play the full one without getting extremely pissed off with that.

Raist

Banned
Laguna said:
What? Only 6 Courses? Is this a non-game or what?

6 courses = 108 holes. Add online multiplayer and you can play this game for months.

hell, I played A18 for about 6 months when there was only 3 or 4 courses.

Koren

Raist said:
6 courses = 108 holes. Add online multiplayer and you can play this game for months.

hell, I played A18 for about 6 months when there was only 3 or 4 courses.
Yes, but there were 12 courses in last one (european version) and it was one of the best things about the game. It's a big letdown for me also.

Problem is that with 6 courses, you'll have something like two beginners courses that quickly become uninteresting, and you'll play the same 2-3 courses all the time.

If I played MnG far longer than Mario Golf last gen, it was mainly because the MG had only 6 courses, less to unlock, and thus wore more quickly.

MadFuzzy

Laguna said:
What? Only 6 Courses? Is this a non-game or what?

Given how they did things for MinGol Online on PS2, I imagine that there will be new courses for download on the PlayStation Store over the next couple of months. Whether they are free or not (not sure if they were for MinGol Online, even though you had to pay a monthly subscription to play?) is another matter.

tyler

Koren said:
Problem is that with 6 courses, you'll have something like two beginners courses that quickly become uninteresting, and you'll play the same 2-3 courses all the time.

If I played MnG far longer than Mario Golf last gen, it was mainly because the MG had only 6 courses, less to unlock, and thus wore more quickly.

It really depends, the quality of the 6 Mario Golf 64 courses meant that game was fine with six courses but when it came to Mario Golf TT on Gamecube there were really only 4 courses (the final two were laughable) and the first two were very easy like you say.

Hopefully Clap Hanz will have better course design and I know they won't have gimmicky courses like we had in the last Mario Golf as they like to keep a balance and keep it fairly realistic.

warthog

I just pre-ordered this game from yesasia. Went for the cheapo solution, free shipping, so it might take a while to get here. I really hope it's good.

reminder

New screens:

2 new Characters:

h-104_75421_min01.jpg.jpg

h-104_75421_min02.jpg.jpg

h-104_75421_min03.jpg.jpg

h-104_75421_min04.jpg.jpg

h-104_75421_min05.jpg.jpg

h-104_75421_min06.jpg.jpg

New Caddy:

h-104_75421_min07.jpg.jpg

h-104_75421_min08.jpg.jpg

h-104_75421_min09.jpg.jpg

New Course:

h-104_75421_min10.jpg.jpg

h-104_75421_min11.jpg.jpg

h-104_75421_min12.jpg.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2007/07/18/104,1184735872,75421,0,0.html

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Will they microtransact more courses and characters? I suppose I should wait for the European version if so :/

Dazzyman

Lot of us have had problems with Yesasia since Xmas with poor service and orders going missing/delayed. I stopped using them when one of them took 6 weeks even though I paid express for it! Playasia will not ship Sony stuff to the UK since Liksang got done. NCSX are ok but expensive and I wont use them again after they never sent my 10th Anniversary with VF5 order when Id paid for it (said couldnt get anymore so tuff really which was the reason Id ordered it from them in the first place).

VG+ are very good :D

BojTrek

Banned
I am going to play the shit out of my PS3 once this game is released... I cannot wait...

Right now my PS3 which was purchased May 26th or so.... is just collecting dust... stupid purchase when I knew I wanted only Hot Shots Golf for my first game... STUPID = ME !

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I will definitley be picking this up. I love playing HS on my PSP. These new screens are just stunning.

NeoGAF Golf Tournaments??? Lets make it happen.

nofi

DenogginizerOS said:
I will definitley be picking this up. I love playing HS on my PSP. These new screens are just stunning.

NeoGAF Golf Tournaments??? Lets make it happen.

Yeah, because my Japanese isn't nearly good enough to be able to play online against native Japanese players. If we can organise a few English-speaking games that would be ace, assuming of course that the online bit is tied to the region of the game, if at all.

Went for a copy off ebay £30 not bad at all, i loved the demo and online should be fun i have a jpn ps3 so i shouldnt have any issues with online.

tyler

Here's a cool Hot Shots Golf fansite, it's quiet at the moment but it's seemingly the only English Minna No Golf site out there so I thought it deserved a mention.

It's certainly where I've found out the most up to date information on the game.

egocrata

Banned
Uncanny valley on the characters, anyone? It really looks amazing, but boy some of the players creep me out.

I dunno, after Tiger Woods Wii, I am having trouble thinking I'd have fun playing a golf game without waggle. Button presses, even if they are more precise, won't have the same solid feeling, I guess.

On a sidenote, is this game "related" to Hot Shots Golf Wii?

nofi

tyler said:
Here's a cool Hot Shots Golf fansite, it's quiet at the moment but it's seemingly the only English Minna No Golf site out there so I thought it deserved a mention.

It's certainly where I've found out the most up to date information on the game.

I like that site, the layout's really crisp and clean, and the poster seems friendly. Dead excited now about this...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wish we had some idea of the US release date so I could further justify importing. Haven't imported since the DC but HSG is my second favorite sports series and the text is generally unimportant.

Top Bottom