• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's June 10 WWDC keynote may happen at the same time as Microsoft's E3 presser

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is probably why the One reveal was only about the technical side of the console, features, etc.

E3 conference will be all about the games, so it happening at the same time won't really matter as they'll be focused on very different things. Not sure why people are getting so excited.
It would mean not only Apple sees the new xbox as direct competition, but is announcing a rivaling product. Unless all this was a coincidence, which seems less likely.

TrutaS

Makes sense to compete with MS here, since apple may be announcing the iTV. I'll be watching the xbox one though, because games take priority...

shandy706

Well, I have an iPhone, but I love games.

I'll be watching Microsoft's E3 game unveiling. What gamer would give an Apple conference even one second during E3? LOL

I couldn't care less about Apple during E3...I'd even watch an Indie Games panel over it.

Darryl

Banned
This is probably why the One reveal was only about the technical side of the console, features, etc.

E3 conference will be all about the games, so it happening at the same time won't really matter as they'll be focused on very different things. Not sure why people are getting so excited.

maybe Microsoft was caught off-guard by the huge success of the PS4 conference and had to copy it themselves, it being much easier to ready OS footage and discussion about TV than ready gameplay footage for stuff that isn't ready yet. the date for the apple conference, i can't imagine they knew about that a few months ago when they began preparing for their conference

Makes sense to compete with MS here, since apple may be announcing the iTV. I'll be watching the xbox one though, because games take priority...

I strongly doubt Apple will be announcing the iTV, but I think it's possible they could be adding a lot of functionality to the existing Apple TV set top box with a major OS upgrade.

Sean

Banned
It would mean not only Apple sees the new xbox as direct competition, but is announcing a rivaling product. Unless all this was a coincidence, which seems less likely.

It's completely coincidental and unrelated to Microsoft's announcements. Apple's WWDC conference is held roughly the same time every year.

2007: June 11-15
2008: June 9-13
2009: June 8-12
2010: June 7-11
2011: June 6-10
2012: June 11-15

I think this is the first time it's overlapped with E3 though.

It's completely coincidental and unrelated to Microsoft's announcements. Apple's WWDC conference is held roughly the same time every year.

The conferences overlapped in 2011 (WWDC was June 7-9), but the actual keynotes didn't overlap, IIRC, although Nintendo's keynote happened on the 7th at a different time from Apple's.

Bgamer90

Banned
Wasn't this the case last year?

I remember having two conferences laid out on my dual monitor PC setup so I could see both at the same time.

Chris R

I wish I had taken the entire week off :(

Hoping for a nice MBA/MBP update and a same day launch. Should be able to get at least $750 for my 11 13" MBA so that would soften the blow a bit for a new laptop, assuming they don't screw it up with terrible specs.

lantus

Honestly way more excited about Apple's conference. I've been looking into getting a new laptop, I'm hoping for a real nice Air refresh.

DigitalOp

Banned
Well isn't MS focusing on "games" for this presser? If Apple sucks the wind out of them with some media stuff, MS is cooked. They would look silly with the mainstream and gamers have already burnt the bridge

yeah its just a cool coincidence, all the start times for Apple's keynotes have been at 10am since at least 2009.

Jachaos

More excited for this lol. Maybe Jony Ive will bless everyone in the flesh and actually come on stage.

Yes, eager to see iOS7 (and OS X some felidae) and upgrades to the MacBook Pros/Airs.

Also, I think they'd only upgrade the Apple TV with some new features like Voice Command and hardware features, maybe HDMI in to try and curb stomp Xbone before it even launches. I don't think they'd introduce a whole new ''iTV'' (and it certainly won't be called that since iTV is a channel in the UK and it's big, no way Apple buys it just to have rights to the name when Apple TV is just as recognizable anyway).

harSon

Banned
This doesn't just effect Microsoft. Sony's press conference is on the same day. News happens in daily cycles, so if Microsoft's mainstream coverage is going to be draped by Apple's conference overlapping with their own, so will Sony's considering it's only hours later.

Toki767

I'd venture to say that for the mainstream media, if all Microsoft does at E3 is actually show games, the media will mostly focus on Apple.

Which puts Microsoft in a weird position. Do they only show games like they said they would, or do they push the entertainment aspects more to get more coverage from the mainstream media?

JCreasy

This doesn't just effect Microsoft. Sony's press conference is on the same day. News happens in daily cycles, so if Microsoft is going to be negatively effected by Apple's conference overlapping with their own, so will Sony considering it's only hours later.

Sony's is in the evening.

6 PM PST

This doesn't just effect Microsoft. Sony's press conference is on the same day. News happens in daily cycles, so if Microsoft's mainstream coverage is going to be draped by Apple's conference overlapping with their own, so will Sony's considering it's only hours later.

Yeah, it'll affect E3 in general too. I just think that it'll affect Microsoft most by sheer proximity - they won't be getting nearly as many top 'breaking news' headlines.

Spinluck

MS show will probably be better since they said they were actually gonna show shit this time. I can YouTube whatever Apple shows. Not worth watching live.

Top Bottom