• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| The offseason thread - Season 3 returns March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
My two favorite characters are the ones that hold the most knowledge--Littlefinger and Varys. Please tell me they have a large role in the books.

MNC

My two favorite characters are the ones that hold the most knowledge--Littlefinger and Varys. Please tell me they have a large role in the books.
Elaborate yes/no answer
Littlefingers part gets significantly bigger in the latter ASOS parts.

wee-bey-gif.gif

Mance too. Fuck.

aFIGurANT

Don't think he would have been that spot on, to be honest...Especially if he had his english accent - Mance Rayder needs to be a brutal but friendly guy from the old south with some sophistication to balance his violent tendencies. West is a bit too small and kind of like Littlefinger (aka Carcetti), he would be a detraction I bet.

It would have been a wasted choice imo. The role simply wasn't big enough for such an actor.

general series spoiler
Mance doesn't play much of a role outside of ASOS

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It would have been a wasted choice imo. The role simply wasn't big enough for such an actor.

general series spoiler
Mance doesn't play much of a role outside of ASOS

Considering they're looking for a semi-big name for Mance, the fact that Dom West described it as a major character, and the changes they've made to Jon's storyline, I'd bet money that Mance's character will get a lot more screentime than he did in book 3.

Pctx

Banned
March 31st of 2013? FUCK ME.

Someone needs to tell these guys that they need to be on a rolling release schedule because the waiting is godawful shitty.

Davey Cakes

Just finished Season 2.

Yeah, it's going to be quite a wait until March. I don't read the books, but going by the finale it seems that most (if not all) the main characters will have plenty on their plates for S3.

The show does a great job of making me hate the Lannisters. I just want to see them all beheaded. That is, except for Tyrian, who's probably my favorite character.

That is a good list. I'd also add Bronn and to name one particular scene... the Sansa attempted rape was quite good.

Yeah those were both good.

I'd also add Robert's expansion/humanizing and having Ned and Jaime fight instead of Ned getting his leg broken by a horse.

border

I do not understand the hatred for the Arya/Tywin scenes, even as a book reader. It was a great way to deliver larger story exposition to a large TV audience that isn't as engaged and informed as a someone reading the book. Not to mention it actually helps develop Tywin as a character. In the first two books he is little more than a glowering father figure who barks orders......in the TV show he's actually developed a bit.

I don't see how a more faithful adaptation would have been better. Arya grows to hate yet another annoying sadist who makes her do chores -- sadist gets offed by Jacquen. Who cares?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, Arya's chapters were mostly silent thoughts by the character. She needed someone to talk to, and it gives some attention to the really underdeveloped (even in the books) Tywin.

By using the screen time to give her someone to talk to, they completely ignored the actual development her character goes through in Book 2.

Massa

By using the screen time to give her someone to talk to, they completely ignored the actual development her character goes through in Book 2.

But they can easily remedy that in season 3 when
she goes through pretty much the same "suffering among the common people while trying to find her family" thing. Specially if they cover her ASOS arc in two seasons.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
she goes through pretty much the same "suffering among the common people while trying to find her family" thing. Specially if they cover her ASOS arc in two seasons.

^
This. The development lost can easily be made up in future events.

They could, but will they devote the time? Two seasons gives me hope, but who knows what all kind of shit they're going to add. Gots to have more Ros. We'll see, and I hope they do, I'm just not to enthusiastic right now.

Just finished Season 2.

Yeah, it's going to be quite a wait until March. I don't read the books, but going by the finale it seems that most (if not all) the main characters will have plenty on their plates for S3.

The show does a great job of making me hate the Lannisters. I just want to see them all beheaded. That is, except for Tyrian, who's probably my favorite character.

I feel quite the opposite. Tyrion's great, but I also really love Jaime, Joffrey, and Tywin. All great performances, and all master trolls in their own respects. You have to give them credit.

Davey Cakes

I feel quite the opposite. Tyrion's great, but I also really love Jaime, Joffrey, and Tywin. All great performances, and all master trolls in their own respects. You have to give them credit.
Well, of course the performances themselves are great. The characters are played well, and I guess they could come off as those that you "love to hate." Tywin and Jaime are respectable.

At the same time, Joffrey being on the throne is infuriating. So unfit to be a king, and people just play along with it. It's great when Tyrion calls him and Cersei out on things.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
(spoilers for all books)
I bet Arya doesn't properly kill anyone on the show until she joins the Faceless Men in season 6-7.

ASOS
I can not imagine they won't have Arya kill the Ticker in the bar fight with The Hound. Can't see how they could leave that out.

ZeroRay

I think they replaced the Tickler with Poliver, since he has Needle.

He was actually the guy asking the questions during the torture scene (ASOS)
so all they potentially did was just change the name of the guy Arya stabs.

Just finished Season 2.

nvr mind

I think they replaced the Tickler with Poliver, since he has Needle.

He was actually the guy asking the questions during the torture scene (ASOS)
so all they potentially did was just change the name of the guy Arya stabs.

No, the Tickler was doing the interrogations, that's why she had Jaqen kill him.

ASOS spoilers
Poliver took Needle though, so it makes sense that she'll kim him to get it back, while the Tickler made a meaningful kill to use from Jaqen at Harrenhal. Book purists will still be upset about losing the "gold in the village" dialogue when she killed Tickler in the book, but it's a sensible change.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Currently reading AGOT, I should've picked these up sooner.

*turns page to Sansa chapter, lets out audible sigh.*

Hmmm, well they can't put too much of a rush on Sansa/Littlefinger/Lysa stuff since Sansa has to be at Joffrey's wedding first. So why else would they need to show the kid? Maybe they'll have Littlefinger wed Lysa sooner and separately?

ASOS
Yeah I don't know, I'm really puzzled by this, not sure what they are going to do. Perhaps it's just a few scenes of the Eyrie perspective as Lysa gets letters from Cat asking her to come to Riverrun.

Wray

No, the Tickler was doing the interrogations, that's why she had Jaqen kill him.

ASOS spoilers
Poliver took Needle though, so it makes sense that she'll kim him to get it back, while the Tickler made a meaningful kill to use from Jaqen at Harrenhal. Book purists will still be upset about losing the "gold in the village" dialogue when she killed Tickler in the book, but it's a sensible change.

I think that dialog will still be there, and still remains relevant. Polliver was still there standing right next to tickler during those interrogations laughing along. Even if he wasn't the one actually asking the questions, he was clearly enjoying it.

I just hope they keep his character on screen enough to give it impact. Hopefully they have him around in any scenes that the Mountain is in next season, such as a hopefully awesome Vargo Hoat torture scene.

Yeah I don't know, I'm really puzzled by this, not sure what they are going to do. Perhaps it's just a few scenes of the Eyrie perspective as Lysa gets letters from Cat asking her to come to Riverrun.

That and possibly some correspondence with Littlefinger setting up his arrival in S4. It's a good way to keep those characters on screen so the audience doesnt forget about them.

ASOS and brief spoilers for following books
Mance is certainly a charismatic character but given his arc, I don't see the point in spurging on a big name. He develops a relationship with Jon, proves himself to be a great leader, is betrayed, leads an attack on the Wall, and then gets captured. After that he doesn't do much of anything but get fake-killed, then is sent on a mission to Winterfell off screen. Let's say S3 ends Jon's ASOS arc with him riding to the Wall to warn the NW of impending attack, and S4 features the battle/capture of Mance.

Obviously new scenes will be developed for him, but given the writer's history of handling completely new arcs why should anyone be confident? Worse yet, I'm baffled why a big name actor would even want to dedicate so much time to a role that will pretty much become nondescript after two seasons.

Randdalf

ASOS and brief spoilers for following books
Mance is certainly a charismatic character but given his arc, I don't see the point in spurging on a big name. He develops a relationship with Jon, proves himself to be a great leader, is betrayed, leads an attack on the Wall, and then gets captured. After that he doesn't do much of anything but get fake-killed, then is sent on a mission to Winterfell off screen. Let's say S3 ends Jon's ASOS arc with him riding to the Wall to warn the NW of impending attack, and S4 features the battle/capture of Mance.

Obviously new scenes will be developed for him, but given the writer's history of handling completely new arcs why should anyone be confident? Worse yet, I'm baffled why a big name actor would even want to dedicate so much time to a role that will pretty much become nondescript after two seasons.

All books spoilers
Don't forget that he has a fairly large role in ADWD as Abel the bard, helping Theon + Jeyne/Arya escape, plus his "death".

I think that dialog will still be there, and still remains relevant. Polliver was still there standing right next to tickler during those interrogations laughing along. Even if he wasn't the one actually asking the questions, he was clearly enjoying it.

I just hope they keep his character on screen enough to give it impact. Hopefully they have him around in any scenes that the Mountain is in next season, such as a hopefully awesome Vargo Hoat torture scene.

That and possibly some correspondence with Littlefinger setting up his arrival in S4. It's a good way to keep those characters on screen so the audience doesnt forget about them.

Yeah good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom