• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales Studio is in trouble

Maybe Namco should sell the Tales studio to Nintendo? They sold one other RPG studio to Nintendo in the past and you got to admit, the Tales series would seem to fit Nintendo's style quite a bit better.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Maybe Namco should sell the Tales studio to Nintendo? They sold one other RPG studio to Nintendo in the past and you got to admit, the Tales series would seem to fit Nintendo's style quite a bit better.

Monolith.

It would be pretty stupid of Namco to let go of Tales studio.

From Kotaku:

Namco Tales Studio is the developer behind Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Eternia, Tales of Destiny and Tales of Vesperia. The studio has seen better days.

A recent financial report has revealed that debt for the studio has piled up so that it has surpassed the studio's total assets, making the developer insolvent. The Tails Studio has accumulated a debt of 21 million dollars and has posted an annual loss of one million dollars.

"Meetings and conferences, sleepiness and struggle, it was a day of live or die," Tales producer Makoto Yoshizumi obliquely tweeted on June 18. He goes on to say that next week (this week) will be extremely busy and that from henceforth, "it's going to be gloomy".

Things have not been good recently for the Tales series, I honestly don't think Namco will shutter the studio. The Tales role-playing games still have a strong brand name in Japan, and it was a mistake to think the studio could compete with both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. A reorganization and refocusing seems more likely.

The studio was opened in 1986 and is a subsidiary of Namco Bandai. The Tales series has been spun off to anime with Tales of Vesperia: First Strike in late 2009. The most recent Tales game, Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X, will be released on the PSP this August in Japan.

:(

Varion

Bel Marduk said:
Kotaku sourced by Sankaku Complex via Go Nintendo... it's like the worst combination in the world.

A reorganisation and refocusing could be just what the series needs though. If the result of this was a smaller number of high quality titles on a smaller number of platforms with more localised releases, I wouldn't be complaining. After the sales of Vesperia PS3 I wouldn't say no to more Vesperia engine games.

Varion said:
Kotaku sourced by Sankaku Complex via Go Nintendo... it's like the worst combination in the world.
So is this whole thing not true or what exactly? not like i care about Tales though.

But how did they end up with this huge debt exactly? is it really because they wont release most of their games outside japan? their games tend to sell well there anyway.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Varion said:

A reorganisation and refocusing could be just what the series needs though. If the result of this was a smaller number of high quality titles on a smaller number of platforms with more localised releases, I wouldn't be complaining. After the sales of Vesperia PS3 I wouldn't say no to more Vesperia engine games.
I really wouldn't trust anything coming from Sankaku without further research. The admin is a huge troll.

Top Bottom