• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Okay I just finished listening to the entire Duck Tales episode. It was great. Although only about half of the time was discussing Duck Tales, (which is kinda understandable being the type of game it is, it doesn't really add any debate or heavy critical analysis) it felt like everything everybody wanted to say about it was said and not cut off or cut short.

The retro news/ E3 disscussion half I initially thought was gonna be kind of a drag to listen too. I know the news what's there to discuss. In the end however I really got interested in Kevin, Josh and Trey stories and opinions on the current state of Nintendo and what not. A couple of times I wanted to jump in and say something but couldn't and in the end it made it a successful podcast for me because just getting me to feel that is the reason why I listen to podcasts such as these.

Thumbs up guys.

Okay I just finished listening to the entire Duck Tales episode. It was great. Although only about half of the time was discussing Duck Tales, (which is kinda understandable being the type of game it is, it doesn't really add any debate or heavy critical analysis) it felt like everything everybody wanted to say about it was said and not cut off or cut short.

The retro news/ E3 disscussion half I initially thought was gonna be kind of a drag to listen too. I know the news what's there to discuss. In the end however I really got interested in Kevin, Josh and Trey stories and opinions on the current state of Nintendo and what not. A couple of times I wanted to jump in and say something but couldn't and in the end it made it a successful podcast for me because just getting me to feel that is the reason why I listen to podcasts such as these.

Thumbs up guys.

Thanks, that means a lot!
The state of Nintendo is always in our hearts as kids who grew up with the NES as our first major console.
What were your thoughts on their E3 lineup, if you feel like sharing?

Thoughts on recent Nintendo : Incredibly disapointing

I honestly haven't cared for Nintendo since the N64 days. They have completely lost what made them what they are. Gone is the great third party support, gone are the new refreshing IP's and gone with trying to keep up with current gaming standards.

I mean look at the Mario series lately. You start with SMB 1-3 and SMW. All look and play completely different from each other. Even though SMB1 and 3 play very similar the graphics, mood and gameplay variations make it stand apart. Now look at New Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Land 3D, New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario World 3D. They all sound the same, look the same and feel the same and play the same. I get tired of hearing the same tracks and enemy animations. Everything is recycled. This is why people want Galaxy 3. A similar case could be made for Zelda.
At least Nintendo tried to be creative with Metroid. The Prime seires is a great deparutre from the originals to freshen things up while still being true to the series. At least Nintendo tried with Other M to do something more how do I say "modern style" with actual voice acting, story and cutscenes with one of it's classic francihces.

Sure Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda and what not is cool but it's nothing new. Nintendo is afraid to try anything new with it's established franchies or with new IP. Why don't they try to make a serious mature game? It's not their style? Play a different console? That's crazy. Nintendo is stuck in the past.

I will give them credit that they have had a wonderful library with DS and 3DS and know exactly how to handle the hand held market. It's a pity it can't be said for the console market. Kid Icarus 3D is my favorite Nintendo game in decades because it's the most Non-Nintendo like game they have made in years. No gamer wants to see Nintendo fail and I want to love them like I did back in the day but they are not the same company they once were.

Okay maybe I ranted a little to much lol.

Nice post, I agreed with much of what you said (though I'm still a big fan of Nintendo).

I seriously wish they would put money into new IP the way that Sony does...that was one of the things early Nintendo through GameCube Nintendo did...take chances on new, BIG IP ranging from F-Zero to Pikmin.

Still, things like The Wonderful 101 as well as Nintendo's relationship with Platinum give me hope.

Heading back to Boston this morning, have about 2 hours of Shenmue waiting for me when I get back.

Got a bit farther in Chrono Trigger as well, need to play that on a more regular basis.

It's just that Nintendo of now has a very narrow target audience. The Nintendo of the past was accommodating to every type of gamer. This is my beef with them. I don't hate them and I understand their approach of what they are going for but they are a mere shadow of their former self.

This week's discussion was a bit different, as we didn't all love the game. We all respect it, though. Please listen. Please subscribe. Please understand.

daydream

Banned
Going to listen to this right now! Just wanted to say that I've been enjoying the show so far (especially the retro segments). The Duck Tales episode made me go buy the gameboy version of that game as well as Duck Tales 2 on the NES.

LogicStep

I started listening to Ep 0, really like it and felt nostalgic when you guys were talking about the game. Same thing happened to me, I could be the first stage but then I had no idea what to do. I'll listen to these.

I started listening to Ep 0, really like it and felt nostalgic when you guys were talking about the game. Same thing happened to me, I could be the first stage but then I had no idea what to do. I'll listen to these.

Glad you are enjoying it so far. Let us know what you think of the other episodes!

Looks like we are going to shuffle things up to get off Nintendo consoles for a few episodes.

Thinking about:

Duke Nukem 3D (PC)
Resident Evil (PS1)
Castlevania (NES)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis/Mega Drive)

I'm all kinds of pumped about RE1. I think I'll play the PSone version for old time's sake. That REmake version is so good, though...

Looks like we are going to shuffle things up to get off Nintendo consoles for a few episodes.

Thinking about:

Duke Nukem 3D (PC)
Resident Evil (PS1)
Castlevania (NES)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis/Mega Drive)

I hate to be this guy....

So Kevin you mentioned in the DuckTales video that you liked Streets of Rage 2. You should do that series. Also have you ever played the Streets of Rage Remake by Bombergames? Best SoR bar none.

I hate to be this guy....

So Kevin you mentioned in the DuckTales video that you liked Streets of Rage 2. You should do that series. Also have you ever played the Streets of Rage Remake by Bombergames? Best SoR bar none.

The point of doing Castlevania NES is so we can do Dracula X on Turbo Grafx. Going to make sure we don't do back to back Nintendo episodes again. SoR 2 would be a good one.

Teknoman

I need to get Silius at some point. That being said, i'd really look forward to a Streets of Rage or Castlevania episode.

Neifirst

For what it's worth, I love Streets of Rage 2, but I'm unsure how you could construct an entire podcast around it. Maybe you could do a themed episode, like Yuzo Koshiro-orchestrated games. Then you've got your Streets of Rage 1-3 plus other classics like Revenge of Shinobi and Actraiser 1 & 2.

For what it's worth, I love Streets of Rage 2, but I'm unsure how you could construct an entire podcast around it. Maybe you could do a themed episode, like Yuzo Koshiro-orchestrated games. Then you've got your Streets of Rage 1-3 plus other classics like Revenge of Shinobi and Actraiser 1 & 2.

Agreed. We are toying around with doing some mini episodes that would be about 30 minutes.

Spent $300 on ebay getting more games for the cast, including a Sega Genesis/CD Combo unit.

Sega Saturn is coming, but I might wait to pick up a Japanese one when I am out there in a few weeks

Out of curiosity, which platform do you recommend for experiencing it?

Honestly? The SNES. The GBA version is good, but it's music isn't nearly as good. The SNES sound chip adds some real depth to that soundtrack that's lacking on the GBA. One of the striking things about that game is it's music. It's the first Final Fantasy, imo, who's music was truly atmospheric, rather than just catchy. The score in that game was similar to a score in a great movie in the sense that it accentuated the mood and the point of the story, rather than being there to sound epic (something that so many games and movies fail at these days). You could emulate it and probably get the full experience. If you're not opposed to that kind of thing.

I can't say enough about that game. It literally changed how I perceived gaming and what I feel it could achieve as a story telling medium, particularly in the way it's scenarios play out. It has a lot of little cues in it that set it apart from a lot of other games in terms of it's story telling as well. The sprites especially, are incredibly impressive for their time and convey emotion very well. The graphics were incredible for their time, the battle system was varied and interesting. There was no main character. Each character was interesting and the teams you could make were incredibly varied. The relic system was fun in the sense that there was enough stuff in the game that you could make yourself a god via the relics and having the right equipment. Most of all, I think this game doesn't let the story telling overwhelm the game play. Rather the story and the game play work hand in hand. THIS is the game Square should be studying if they want to get back to being awesome and not putting out games like XIII. lol

If you guys like the podcast it would be a TON if you can submit a rating/review on itunes!

Thanks so much for your support!

Def Jukie

I've only had the chance to listen to the first episode but I really enjoyed it. You guys have an interesting format that I think works well. I'm hoping to dig into the others soon.

Really happy to see you guys are going to be talking about Journey to Silius and if I wasn't so busy right now I would bug you guys about being on the Resident Evil episode. I've got so many memories of that first game. I grew up in a small town and I either couldn't afford a memory card or I couldn't find one in stock for a while after the game came out. I used to just play it from the beginning and play until I died (usually from a hunter) and have to start over. I did this for at least a few weeks after getting it until I finally bought a memory card. Kind of a strange way to play it but in some ways it makes it even more memorable to me because of it.

Anyway, keep at it and I look forward to listening to more episodes.

I've only had the chance to listen to the first episode but I really enjoyed it. You guys have an interesting format that I think works well. I'm hoping to dig into the others soon.

Really happy to see you guys are going to be talking about Journey to Silius and if I wasn't so busy right now I would bug you guys about being on the Resident Evil episode. I've got so many memories of that first game. I grew up in a small town and I either couldn't afford a memory card or I couldn't find one in stock for a while after the game came out. I used to just play it from the beginning and play until I died (usually from a hunter) and have to start over. I did this for at least a few weeks after getting it until I finally bought a memory card. Kind of a strange way to play it but in some ways it makes it even more memorable to me because of it.

Anyway, keep at it and I look forward to listening to more episodes.

When it come to the RE episode we can read your thoughts in the mailbag.

Went a little more ebay nuts. Picked up FF 3/6, Metal Storm (Never played) (NES), Crystalis (Never played), Zombies ate my neighbors (Never played), and another 110 games in lots (NES/SNES/Genesis/n64).

Should be coming in next week.

I've only listened the Zelda episode so far but thought you guys did a great job. Honestly one of the best "start up" podcasts I've heard.

I've only listened the Zelda episode so far but thought you guys did a great job. Honestly one of the best "start up" podcasts I've heard.

Thanks! Having 400 hours of podcasting under my belt with The FitCast helped. And we got lucky with the chemistry starting with the first episode.

Went a little more ebay nuts. Picked up FF 3/6, Metal Storm (Never played) (NES), Crystalis (Never played), Zombies ate my neighbors (Never played), and another 110 games in lots (NES/SNES/Genesis/n64).

Should be coming in next week.

Dude, ZAMN is incredible. I have lots of nostalgia for it.

RkOwnage

That is a plus you guys have, the chemistry is awesome

I didn't think about the chemistry until I went back and listened to episodes 1 and 2, and yeah, it surprised me. The way we chatted and conversed, you'd think we have been friends for years.

Works for me. Enjoying every minute of this so far.

I didn't think about the chemistry until I went back and listened to episodes 1 and 2, and yeah, it surprised me. The way we chatted and conversed, you'd think we have been friends for years.

Works for me. Enjoying every minute of this so far.

Seriously! I listened to the Zelda episode last night while walking the dog. Even though I am biased, it sounds great.

I hope our passion comes across. We really love these old games!

Top Bottom