• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

SirNinja

3hemv1n.jpg

7s1cpTk.png

Here's each civ's Leader Bonus and Special Ability, named off in the civ chart above. More coming soon, especially after release. (Click on a civ name to watch its intro trailer!)

• America
    Leader Bonus: Roosevelt Corollary - Units receive +5 Combat Strength bonus on their home continent. +1 Appeal to all tiles in a city with a National Park. Gain the Rough Rider unique unit upon researching Rifling.
    Special Ability: Founding Fathers - Earn government legacy bonuses twice as quickly.
  • Arabia
    Leader Bonus: Righteousness of the Faith - The worship building for your chosen religion costs less, and produces bonus Science, Faith, and Culture.
    Special Ability: The Last Prophet - Automatically receive the last available Great Prophet if you haven't already founded a religion.
  • Aztecs
    Leader Bonus: Gifts for the Tlatoani - Luxury resources in the civilization's territory provide an Amenity to 2 extra cities. Military units receive +1 Combat strength for each different Luxury resource improved in Aztec lands.
    Special Ability: Legend of the Five Suns - Spend Builder charges to complete 20% of the original district cost.
  • Brazil
    Leader Bonus: Magnanimous - After recruiting or patronizing a Great Person, 20% of its Great Person point cost is refunded.
    Special Ability: Amazon - Rainforest tiles provide +1 adjacency bonus for Campus, Commercial Hub, Holy Site, and Theater Square districts. Rainforest tiles provide +1 Housing for Neighborhoods built adjacent to them.
  • China
    Leader Bonus: The First Emperor - When building Ancient and Classical Wonders, you can spend Builder charges to complete 15% of the original Wonder cost. All builders receive one additional charge.
    Special Ability: Dynastic Cycle - Eurekas and Inspirations provide 60% of civics and technologies instead of 50%.
  • Egypt
    Leader Bonus: Mediterranean's Bride - Your Trade Routes to other civilizations provide +4 Gold. Other civilizations' Trade Routes provide +2 Food for them and +2 Gold for you.
    Special Ability: Iteru - Districts and Wonders are built 15% faster if placed adjacent to a river. Floodplains do not block placement of districts and wonders.
  • England
    Leader Bonus: Pax Britannica - When you settle on a continent other than your home continent, receive a free melee unit. Gain the Redcoat unique unit when you research the Military Science technology.
    Special Ability: British Museum - Each Archaeology Museum holds six Artifacts instead of three, and can support two Archaeologists at once.
  • France
    Leader Bonus: Catherine's Flying Squadron - Has 1 level of Diplomatic Visibility greater than normal with every civilization encountered. Can build an extra Spy with the Castles technology.
    Special Ability: Grand Tour - Gain +20% Production toward Medieval, Renaissance and Industrial era wonders. Tourism from wonders of any era is doubled.
  • Germany
    Leader Bonus: Holy Roman Emperor - Additional Military policy slot, +7 Combat Strength when attacking city-states.
    Special Ability: Free Imperial Cities - Can build one more District than the population limit would normally allow.
  • Greece (Pericles, Gorgo)
    Leader Bonuses: Surrounded by Glory (Pericles) - Bonus Culture for every City-State to which Greece is the Suzerain. Themopylae (Gorgo) - When Greek units are victorious in combat, receive Culture equal to 50% of the defeated unit's base strength.
    Special Ability: Plato's Republic - Receive an extra Wildcard policy slot no matter which government is chosen.
  • India
    Leader Bonus: Satyagraha - Receive a Faith boost for each civilization you have met that has founded a religion and with whom you are not at war. Other civilizations suffer additional happiness penalties for warring against Gandhi.
    Special Ability: Dharma - Receive the benefits of all Follower beliefs of Religions present in your cities, not just the one you founded.
  • Japan
    Leader Bonus: Divine Wind - Land units receive +5 Combat Strength in land tiles adjacent to Coast; naval units receive +5 Combat Strength in shallow water tiles. Can build Encampment, Holy Site and Theater Square districts in half the time.
    Special Ability: Meiji Restoration - All districts receive an additional standard adjacency bonus for being adjacent to another district.
  • Kongo
    Leader Bonus: Religious Convert - Kongolese cities can't build Holy Sites, but they do receive the benefits of the Founder Beliefs of any religion that has established itself as the majority religion in that city. Receives a free Apostle whenever an Mbanza or Theater District is built.
    Special Ability: Nkisi - Bonus Food, Production and Gold from each Relic, Artifact, and Great Work of Sculpture. Bonus Great Artist and Great Merchant points each turn.
  • Norway
    Leader Bonus: Thunderbolt of the North - Norwegian naval melee units can perform coastal raids.
    Special Ability: Knarr - Units gain the ability to enter Ocean tiles after researching Shipbuilding. Units ignore additional Movement costs from embarking and disembarking.
  • Rome
    Leader Bonus: Trajan's Column - New cities start with a free building (usually a Monument).
    Special Ability: All Roads Lead to Rome - All cities start with a Trading Post, and Trade Routes passing through them earn additional gold. New cities within Trade Route range of the capital start with a road to it.
  • Russia
    Leader Bonus: Grand Embassy - Gives science and culture from trade routes to the civilizations more advanced than Russia +1 science for every three technologies that are not open in Russia; +1 culture point for every three social institutions that are not open in Russia.
    Special Ability: Mother Russia - Cities gain extra tiles when founded. +1 Faith and +1 Production in Tundra tiles.
  • Scythia
    Leader Bonus: Killer of Cyrus - All units receive +5 Combat Strength when attacking wounded units. When they eliminate a unit, they heal up to 50 hit points.
    Special Ability: People of the Steppes - Receive a second light cavalry or Saka Horse Archer unit each time you train a light cavalry or Saka Horse Archer.
  • Spain
    Leader Bonus: El Escorial - Combat bonus vs. units of factions following other religions; Inquisitors have 1 extra Remove Heresy charge.
    Special Ability: Treasure Fleets - Trade Routes between continents give additional yields; can combine ships into fleets.
  • Sumeria
    Leader Bonus: Adventures with Enkidu - When fighting a Join War, Sumerian units share pillage rewards and combat experience with the nearest allied unit within 5 tiles.
    Special Ability: Epic Quest - Clearing a barbarian camp also grants a tribal village reward.

vPPrT7O.png

General Help/Game Mechanics
Beginner Tips
PC Gamer: 5 things I wish I knew before playing Civilization 6

Districts
One of Civ VI's major new additions are Districts - extensions of a city that increase its capacity in various ways but also compete with traditional improvements for space. As with real-world urban areas, forward-thinking city planning is a key strategy. To this end, here's a very well-done "cheat sheet" from iotafox showing optimal layouts for every district type:

xVOAP0T.png

Soundtrack
Civilization VI Official Game Soundtrack, posted by the official YT channel

Screenshots

Videos
(These are the International versions of the videos, with subtitles in several languages. For most of these, Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking versions also exist, and can be found on the same channel.)

3MEaFjc.png

TheSixthAxis - 10/10
The Telegraph - 5/5
PC Gamer - 93%
PCGamesN - 9/10
GameCrate - 9/10
TrustedReviews - 4.5/5

OpenCritic: 91
Metacritic: 90

SirNinja

This is my first OT, so hopefully it's alright. I'll be updating it constantly as new information, reviews, etc. come in. (I'll take some better screenshots too; the ones up there now are kinda meh)

Can't wait for this game :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Feels like just yesterday I put up the Civ V OT. Time really flies!

I still need to buy this on Steam later tonight and get the pre-load done.

Amazon said my order would ship the 25th, so I cancelled it.

Then I discovered that GreenManGaming will take 20% off once you add Civ VI to cart, but it may only do that while preorders are in effect. I got Civ VI for $47.99 without additional tax as a result.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/sid-meiers-civilization-vi/

If there's a better deal out there right now, I'm not sure of it. Post if there is, everyone should play this.

Also, from what I've heard, this game might have one of the best soundtracks of all time. If it lives up to the hype, I might make a big fancy thread about it later.

Chumley

Banned
Amazon said my order would ship the 25th, so I cancelled it.

Then I discovered that GreenManGaming will take 20% off once you add Civ VI to cart, but it may only do that while preorders are in effect. I got Civ VI for $47.99 without additional tax as a result.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/sid-meiers-civilization-vi/

If there's a better deal out there right now, I'm not sure of it. Post if there is, everyone should play this.

Also, from what I've heard, this game might have one of the best soundtracks of all time. If it lives up to the hype, I might make a big fancy thread about it later.

That gmg deal is the best there is right now, even cdkeys doesn't have a better one.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up the anniversary edition from Best Buy for $55 with GCU and a gift card. Should get a few hundred hours of enjoyment out of this game and its DLC. Looking forward to Friday!

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
So I have a friend who is a huge fan of Civ IV, but never liked Civ V. I asked him if he was going to get this game and he replied that he's wait and see due to it looking "more casual" than Civ IV. Now, from everything I have seen and heard about this game, if anything it looks more complex than previous Civ games, just with more stylized art and a sharper looking UI. Can anyone point me to a breakdown of the key differences between this game and primarily Civ IV, but also to a lesser extent Civ V? I'd love to get my friends off of Civ IV and playing something a little more modern that we'll all enjoy.

epmode

This thread crashes MobileGAF.

I figured it was due to a ridiculously image-heavy OP but you did a good job!

djkimothy

Awesome banner.

I will be so busy this weekend to play much. :( Too many "social" obligations.

PS, I don't care what the tier ratings say on reddit. My first Civ will be France. I just love france IRL and I love the culture mechanics.

epmode

I'm not seeing an issue on mobile. Maybe you're loading a bad ad that needs to be reported in the ad feedback thread?

Crashes Safari even when I enable my adblocker. Mobile Chrome is fine. iPad Pro.

Ah well, it's not a big deal if it's just me.

Corpekata

Banned
Thanks.

lol as I typed that I realised Gamesplanet version of CIV6 won't activate here in NZ.

So GMG is worldwide?

They should be. They have sold some region locked stuff but it would typically have very obvious identifiers or not even show up in the search bar.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So I should be able to VPN this tomorrow when I home from work EST.

Can't wait, but I might get caught up in all that NX stuff now.

admartian

They should be. They have sold some region locked stuff but it would typically have very obvious identifiers or not even show up in the search bar.

Cheers.

Was only hesitant cos I'm used to places having a "NOT AVAILABLE IN:" disclaimer.

It worked! Cheapest place around. To Aussies and Kiwis this should be the place to go.

The subreddit's saying stuff like "rip Civ V". Is there pre-release info I don't know about this entry that has guaranteed its success?

Beyond Earth was a flop. Devs have a bad history with releasing solid vanilla releases.

Any reason this is expected to be good at release, and that people shouldn't just wait for the version with all the DLC included when the game's eventually at least on par with current Civ V?

Also, here's to hoping we can get used to this art style, and that the engine isn't as bad as it's been in they're last two games.

We've already seen much of the game via journalists and YouTubers. The buzz is really positive.
Alright, good to hear. Not trying to rip on the game or anything. I haven't been following it all that closely, so I'm just genuinely curious about what's convinced everybody that this will be good at launch.

B00TE

Awesome OT!

Preloaded and ready to go! I just hope the multiplayer holds up, always got so many weird issues playing with friends in IV and V. Gonna have some campaigns running for myself while in between the other games I'm playing right now.

The subreddit's saying stuff like "rip Civ V". Is there pre-release info I don't know about this entry that has guaranteed its success?

Beyond Earth was a flop. Devs have a bad history with releasing solid vanilla releases.

Any reason this is expected to be good at release, and that people shouldn't just wait for the version with all the DLC included when the game's eventually at least on par with current Civ V?

We've already seen much of the game via journalists and YouTubers. The buzz is really positive.

Ugh, Amazon not shipping my anniversary edition until October 25th. Guess that's OK, have a ton of stuff to do this weekend. =(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This is my first OT, so hopefully it's alright. I'll be updating it constantly as new information, reviews, etc. come in. (I'll take some better screenshots too; the ones up there now are kinda meh)

Can't wait for this game :D

Nah, you did fine. A lot less busy than the OT I put up for the previous title when huge walls of information was the norm. Good work!

Anno

Also, here's to hoping we can get used to this art style, and that the engine isn't as bad as it's been in they're last two games.

Alright, good to hear. Not trying to rip on the game or anything. I haven't been following it all that closely, so I'm just genuinely curious about what's convinced everybody that this will be good at launch.

Also, basically all of the current Civ V systems will be available at launch, and in most cases in an expanded form. There are fewer Civs, which is an obvious downside, but from a base gameplay perspective it seems like it will more than hold its own.

18-Volt

I don't like the Civ selection, my all previous mains are missing. Hopefully all of them, Persia, Celts, Byzantine and Ottomans return as DLC in the future.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
"This OP was just completed in a far away land!"

Ha, well played.

The GAF logo on the Atlas globe is a nice touch.

Also, basically all of the current Civ V systems will be available at launch, and in most cases in an expanded form. There are fewer Civs, which is an obvious downside, but from a base gameplay perspective it seems like it will more than hold its own.

This was my biggest concern - pulling a Sims and re-selling the same feature set as DLC. Glad to see they didn't go that route. (guess you could say they did that a bit with the civs, but I'm not bothered by that)

my preload is rdy. just another shoutout for GMG 48 bucks when you put it in cart.

Yup, same here. Works on the deluxe too ($64).

Najaf

Great job on the OT. So pumped for this. Clocking out of Civ V with 559 hours. Hoping for great things here.

Top Bottom