• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Reading and reminiscing over the OT, I shed a single tear.

Its like that movie Source Code where you know the train you are on is going to blow up every 8 minutes, you have to relive it each time, and there isn't anything you can do about it.

qq more

So was there any outside reference to the idea of
Zero being a Dr. Wily creation? Should of been a final boss to the next X game if that ever happened.

Mega Man X5 was the closest to that.
You fight Zero in one of the "sigma" stages while Dr. Wily's logo is displayed in the background.

I'm not that emotionally distraught over the death of the franchis anymore. Sure: when the Legends 3 cancellation first hit me, I left Capcom-Unity for greater pastures. Fuck: they didn't even release their test game, those Capcpom sons 'a bitches! But after that, I knew what was going on and I knew that it would be a waste to get so worked up over the ordeal.

Until INAFKing can purchase the rights to the franchise and leave Capcom empty-handed, I'll rest knowing that we still have the Ian Flynn strip going on. And some Legends fangames, one of which I'm working on.

Mega Man X5 was the closest to that.
You fight Zero in one of the "sigma" stages while Dr. Wily's logo is displayed in the background.

The second arcade game
outright shows Wily with Zero's blue prints (well, not blue prints but I couldn't think of what else to call it. Bass called Zero girly.

Kokonoe

Banned
For me the series has actually been dead for a while, even while 9 and 10 were being released and the Battle Network series went on, and when ZX was released. Since my major enjoyment are the X and Classic series, I haven't genuinely had an experience that felt quite right between those two in a long time. I actually was really hoping Mega Man 10 would finally cross the bridge between X and Classic. I enjoy 8bit, but also waiting so long for a proper classic game and for it to be 8bit was kinda lackluster to me personally, I would preferred something much more akin to Mega Man 8, but with better graphics.

Although I do admit powered up was pretty dang fun, and I put a lot of time into that. However, there are a ton of series and games I still have yet to play from the Mega Man franchise, so perhaps I should start a new from these. I ended up stopping my playthrough of Legends as I couldn't get into it, but I think I could get into the sequel unless there is a translated PSP version of Legends.

Time to subscribe. Good job on the thread, Kokonoe. Just remember this: Manami Matsumae wasn't responsible for all of the Classic soundtracks. Gotta be careful with the credits!

I'm going to do a 15th anniversary thread for the Japanese release of Rockman DASH later this year. To me, it's the game that most concisely captured the ideal aesthetic for a Rockman game. Full of adventure, kinky humor, cute colors, and a sinister underbelly that contrasts with everything else in the game.

I'll do some more research into this, I actually appreciate you for pointing that out as I'm not that knowledgeable who actually does these songs, and for Mega Man it's a bit more difficult to locate compared to Sonic.

Pharaoh Man! Destroy Mega Man!

On my favorite list on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dSJN5LgsE

Sciz

Talking about the comic got me poking through TMMN's last few months of posts, and they linked to this gallery of concept art (and Sonic pages). tl;dr Nintendo shot down fantastic looking Mario, Kirby, and Metroid series. :(((

Yeah I got the 3rd volume of the comic recently. It is very good. Also, I'm glad they've improved the art in Vol 3. Vol 2's art wasn't as good as 1's.
Art quality mostly depends on the penciler. The third arc was penciled by Ben Bates, who also regularly puts out top-notch work over in Sonic, while the second was by new guy Chad Thomas. The fourth is by another new guy, Jonathan Hill, and it's a step back again.

Did he do the pencils on #17? Blues doesn't look so bad here.
Yeah, 17 (and probably 18) are Chad's. Which is why I'm surprised at that cover, because it's a substantial departure from how he was drawing Rock just four issues prior.

Noi

Although I do admit powered up was pretty dang fun, and I put a lot of time into that. However, there are a ton of series and games I still have yet to play from the Mega Man franchise, so perhaps I should start a new from these.

The follow-ups to Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X getting canned are still one of the worst things to happen this gen. Mark Gatha-voiced X is still my favorite, and getting remakes of at least X to X3/MM1 - MM2 would have been great. Alas... :(

Speaking of Gatha X, I should really hunker down and play Command Mission one of these days.

Kokonoe

Banned
The follow-ups to Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X getting canned are still one of the worst things to happen this gen. Mark Gatha-voiced X is still my favorite, and getting remakes of at least X to X3/MM1 - MM2 would have been great. Alas... :(

I didn't know they were even being worked on, I just remember wanting them greatly. Would have been awesome.

Noi

I didn't know they were even being worked on, I just remember wanting them greatly. Would have been awesome.

As far as I know, there was a whole series planned for MHX, with some assets for MHX2 already finished. It's the reason why Day of Sigma doesn't exactly fall in line with the canon for the original X series, since it was meant to be a retcon of sorts. Unfortunately, poor sales lead to the whole project being scrapped. I would have been fine with the games being downscaled too, since the voice acting and FMVs likely ran up costs way more than needed.

I did always find it amusing that Powered Up and MHX sold better in the US than they did in Japan, which made me laugh when the one "The US doesn't care for Mega Man" interview came out.

I was shocked, shocked, that we didn't get a Mega Man X sequel this generation after Capcom were done with Mega Man 9 and 10. And then a few years passed and Capgod became Capcpom and I realized they didn't give a crap about a lot of their IPs anymore.

MM9 and 10 gave me hope of a 16-bit styled MMX sequel. Maybe if Inafking didn't leave when he did... ;_;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I actually was really hoping Mega Man 10 would finally cross the bridge between X and Classic. I enjoy 8bit, but also waiting so long for a proper classic game and for it to be 8bit was kinda lackluster to me personally, I would preferred something much more akin to Mega Man 8, but with better graphics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dSJN5LgsE
Oh man, I forgot about that. Hahahahaha!

I was shocked, shocked, that we didn't get a Mega Man X sequel this generation after Capcom were done with Mega Man 9 and 10. And then a few years passed and Capgod became Capcpom and I realized they didn't give a crap about a lot of their IPs anymore.

Talking about the comic got me poking through TMMN's last few months of posts, and they linked to this gallery of concept art (and Sonic pages. tl;dr Nintendo shot down fantastic looking Mario, Kirby, and Metroid series. :(((

Yeah, 17 (and probably 18) are Chad's. Which is why I'm surprised at that cover, because it's a substantial departure from how he was drawing Rock just four issues prior.
They turned down a Metroid series? It's not like Nintendo's doing anything with Metroid anymore. Yardley's Samus doesn't look that bad, really. Even the art with her and Ridley isn't bad. And the Kirby art looks like it could have been so cute...

I believe this is from Chad and is rather recent.

zLKUS.jpg

As far as I know, there was a whole series planned for MHX, with some assets for MHX2 already finished. It's the reason why Day of Sigma doesn't exactly fall in line with the canon for the original X series, since it was meant to be a retcon of sorts. Unfortunately, poor sales lead to the whole project being scrapped. I would have been fine with the games being downscaled too, since the voice acting and FMVs likely ran up costs way more than needed.

I did always find it amusing that Powered Up and MHX sold better in the US than they did in Japan, which made me laugh when the one "The US doesn't care for Mega Man" interview came out.

And don't forget that said remakes are the reason the MMX collection ended up being so...lacking :/

Teknoman

j1wQ7eMSzoP8L.png

X released before Power Battle 2 right? I wonder why they tried to make "the new robot" so mysterious when its obvious that it's Zero. Of course they also touch on this in X4. Btw who made Sigma? Dr. Cain?

Kokonoe

Banned

The whole incidents involving Mega Man not being included into Marvel VS Capcom, Mega Man Legends 3 being cancelled, and Marvel VS Capcom 3 being released twice in one year was the last bit where I finally understood what was going and and that I was done. I recall so many years ago on the 16 bit systems that when you saw and heard the Capcom logo before a game, it almost was like a seal of quality, some sign that you were about to play a great game. Now it's just not quite the same, but at least those older games will always be there.

I'm probably alone in thinking that the Classic series doesn't really need an ending. *shrugs*

Yep. Sigma's purpose was to stop Zero. ...Funny how that turned out, huh?

The thing here is that it actually does have an ending, and it being a mystery is no help to anyone. They can still make games that are before the ending story wise.

Noi

The whole incidents involving Mega Man not being included into Marvel VS Capcom, Mega Man Legends 3 being cancelled, and Marvel VS Capcom 3 being released twice in one year was the last bit where I finally understood what was going and and that I was done. I recall so many years ago on the 16 bit systems that when you saw and heard the Capcom logo before a game, it almost was like a seal of quality, some sign that you were about to play a great game. Now it's just not quite the same, but at least those older games will always be there.

X, Zero, Iris and VAVA are in Project X Zone, at least. A shame that the odds of that getting localized are nil, even with Harada vouching for it.

Solune

I think they avoided doing another X game because of the colossal mess they made out of the series when X6 ruined the whole continuity. Although they could easily fit another title before X5 happened.

Between X Over , X's absence in Marvel 3, and most likely the lack of a localization of Project X Zone, his return is bleak. Although that can be said of anything Megaman related.

Kokonoe

Banned
X, Zero, Iris and VAVA are in Project X Zone, at least. A shame that the odds of that getting localized are nil, even with Harada vouching for it.

X and Zero in Project X Zone look really awesome, I'm most likely going to import a Japanese 3DS to play it. If only they used that sprite work for a proper 2d sidescroller.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Reposting this:

Barebones Challenge!

MMX games provide all sorts of items and powerups to find and collect, but once you've done all that and beaten the game... they all seem to get a tad easy. The solution is to shun such things and take on the world using none of that optional stuff.

Beat Megaman X 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 using nothing but the normal X-Buster for the entire game, getting no capsule upgrades, collecting no heart tanks, and carrying no reserve tanks. Just default barebones equipment.

Additional terms:

Megaman X1 - If completing a stage affects another, complete the affected stage first. Enter Chill Penguin's stage only when all other bosses are defeated, but dash is optionally allowed when acquired as is X-Buster upgrade when forced on you later.

Megaman X2 - Do not defeat all 3 X-Hunters in mid-stage fights.

Megaman X3 - No Zero use. No armors or chips either!

Megaman X4 - Play as X. The game forces you to use your flame weapon against Reaper Sigma, so it's an exception.

Megaman X5 - Play first stage as Zero to get Unarmored X. Fight the right four before the left four. Always select "Energy" over "Life". No parts allowed.

Also some vids I made!

Or, if you want to, watch somebody who is better than I was.

hiryu64

Obligatory

ixsPYWSWAbjii.gif

BONUS!: Yet another Mega Man image I made, though this one's not a gif. Steve Ballmer shows his Mega Man spirit!

jqk0hZfORdKrt.jpg

Fou-Lu

I find it strange that despite loving X and Classic, all my favorite Mega Man games play entirely differently. Battle Network 2 and 3, Mega Man Legends 1 and 2, hell, even Mega Man X Command Mission which seems to be mostly hated.

Noi

Reposting this:

Also some vids I made!

Or, if you want to, watch somebody who is better than I was.

I already did this for MMX, using a modified password so I wouldn't get the dash boots from chill penguin. Simultaneously the most fun and frustrating run I've ever done in MMX, the vertical shaft in Sigma 1 without dash boots can go straight to hell.

I also did a Hard Vile mode barebones run in MHX using just his default weapons. Not quite as fun as the former.

You're making me want to do these for the rest of the games though... Maybe I'll stream them when I do.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You're making me want to do these for the rest of the games though... Maybe I'll stream them when I do.
X1 was the easiest for me, even though it was my first time going without and I had to relearn how to play and experience game overs for the first time in years. Half the game is designed for no-dash to begin with.
X2 is harder. Legitimately so. Some bosses like Violen are assholes.
X3 is more punishing but with dumber AI so it's all about not fucking up.
X4 is pretty hard, but entirely doable. There's one part late in the game you may think you need an upgrade to get past, but it's doable. The only roadblock to the venture is Reaper Sigma.
X5 is hell. Yeah, that's right. X5. Hell. You have no idea.

Top Bottom