• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Who is Edgar Markov? Is he mentioned/shown on any of the cards, or just in the stories?

The guy who "invented" Innistrad's vampires.

Image.ashx

OnPoint

Rosewater eventually figured out that "there's a method to our madness" is an incredibly dismissive answer to people upset about a bad Standard environment, even if it took a whole day's round on the blog, so, like, that's good? This is why it sucks to have the primary source of info from a company be one person (with all the specific areas of focus that implies.)

Definitely seems like there's some kind of graveyard element in Amonkhet that probably cuts the opposite way from SOI.
I feel like he's hinted toward that in the past. I also think you and several other posters have figured out that the Egyptian theme should fit with that pretty well. Let's hope.

Wulfric

Amonkhet merchandise, nothing we haven't seen before. The oval with Nicol Bolas horn sleeves is interesting to say the least. I wish Ultra Pro did that more often.

Pink Arabian Nights back sleeves would be amazing.

Daze would 100% see play. Delver would love the card. Return a land to counter your Karn on turn 3?

Amonkhet merchandise, nothing we haven't seen before. The oval with Nicol Bolas horn sleeves is interesting to say the least. I wish Ultra Pro did that more often.

I wanted to deny it, but fucking hell we're getting a third Nissa in 4 blocks? Can they like, stop please?

Wulfric

Daze would 100% see play. Delver would love the card. Return a land to counter your Karn on turn 3?

I wanted to deny it, but fucking hell we're getting a third Nissa in 4 blocks? Can they like, stop please?

Well, they wouldn't commission Howard Lyon if she wasn't getting an actual card. I agree she needs some vacation time. Shoehorn Garruk in there if you have to, but give Nissa a break until after the fall block.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rosewater eventually figured out that "there's a method to our madness" is an incredibly dismissive answer to people upset about a bad Standard environment, even if it took a whole day's round on the blog, so, like, that's good? This is why it sucks to have the primary source of info from a company be one person (with all the specific areas of focus that implies.)

Definitely seems like there's some kind of graveyard element in Amonkhet that probably cuts the opposite way from SOI.
A lot of this happens because Rosewater answers questions he shouldn't because he doesn't understand the context.

I feel like he's hinted toward that in the past. I also think you and several other posters have figured out that the Egyptian theme should fit with that pretty well. Let's hope.

Yeah, my GDS2 entry
which those motherfuckers should have taken, and no I'm not over it
was an Egyptian world with a life/death theme. I can definitely see ways you could do it and steer far wide of the Odyssey or Innistrad execution.

A lot of this happens because Rosewater answers questions he shouldn't because he doesn't understand the context.

Yep. In this case I don't really blame him since it's not necessarily obvious what the subtext of that exact question is, but again it does highlight the benefit of having more than one super chatty voice on social media.

Hero

Mark's not perfect but he gives us way more info than we would get if it weren't for him doing it. People need to chill.

Santiako

New set merchandise... just Gideon, Liliana and Nissa again.

tivWJNn.gif

Tunoku

Anyone else excited for drafts this Friday? My store is firing drafts starting at 2pm until midnight or so. I might end up doing three drafts in a row, we'll see. Anyone have some suggestions to read up on the format? I've only seen the LR podcast episode and the primer Kenji wrote on daily mtg.

ultron87

The local store I really liked here in Cincinnati just closed so I'll have to go back to one of the more competitive places in town for drafts. RIP store that had a nice play space, mostly no jerks, and never smelt weird. Unfortunately it also didn't fire events that often. :/

y2dvd

How much are MM17 events going to be at your lgs?

The biggest one here are gonna do on-demand drafts and sealed events for $40 and $70 respectively. MM17 prize packs.

€35 for drafts, no sealed I'm aware of. I talked to one of the employees and he told me they had to resort to buying displays from 3rd party sellers because Wotc aren't going through the WPN this time and it doesn't appear to have an increased supply.

€35 for drafts, no sealed I'm aware of. I talked to one of the employees and he told me they had to resort to buying displays from 3rd party sellers because Wotc aren't going through the WPN this time and it doesn't appear to have an increased supply.

That's super wierd, because I've heard the opposite. As in there's a lot of boxes going out. Might be just a regional thing though.

Angry Grimace

How much are MM17 events going to be at your lgs?

The biggest one here are gonna do on-demand drafts and sealed events for $40 and $70 respectively. MM17 prize packs.

The only store nearby that runs good value drafts closed earlier this week. My regular LGS used to be fine and then they started inflating prices on masters stuff which was a big turnoff (although its the only thing they inflate prices on, so I haven't stopped going there).

That's super wierd, because I've heard the opposite. As in there's a lot of boxes going out. Might be just a regional thing though.

I spoke to an LGS owner who I got a box from and he said the initial allocation is identical to MM2015.

The "increased" supply may simply be an artifact of not having 3 Limited GPs.

I don't have any stores nearby so no MM17 drafts for me.

I do most Masters set drafting on MTGO where there isn't any kind of limit to how much I can play. It's not as fun, but there's also barely any events locally.

So, what's going to be the worst pull in your MM17 rare slot. I'm guessing that either Seance or Past in Flames might be the biggest "feel bad" rare and mythic. Are there any that are obviously worse?

Angry Grimace

So, what's going to be the worst pull in your MM17 rare slot. I'm guessing that either Seance or Past in Flames might be the biggest "feel bad" rare and mythic. Are there any that are obviously worse?

There are a lot less "feel bad mythics" in this set since they spread value through rare and Mythic this time.

Griselbrand is one of the bigger feel-bads to me since he's not even legal in EDH (which is where 90% of the cards I open in these sets end up).

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Aetherpunk
Currypunk
Chandrapunk
Gatewatchpunk

This is what MTG storytelling and worldbuilding has become.

Angry Grimace

I was pretty disappointed by Kaladesh from most angles. Flavor-wise, I thought the art aesthetic was mostly just a shallow reference to India and steampunk (in a way that did not satisfyingly combine them) and storywise/cardwise, the set was comically focused on what the Gatewatch was doing. "Oh hey, here's Jace on a card!"

Limited speaking, it a middle-of-the-road set. It did not come off well to me following the excellent EMN-EMN-SOI format (which was actually extremely well received by most pros). Vehicles were a silly design (there should have been defensive vehicles and less Renegade Freighters), Energy rarely was a worthwhile build-around in draft (since lots of cards created energy, but almost all of the good payoffs were rare or multicolored). Fabricate I thought was the stand-out mechanic - all of the cards sans 1 (the 7 drop) with Fabricate were worthwhile pickups and it had a lot of "play" to it because the choice between the counters and the dudes was generally speaking a meaningful game decision, and played well with some of the counters and artifact synergies. I'm less familiar with AAK as a format, but generally speaking Improvise felt hard to turn on and build around and Revolt cards often felt difficult to evaluate when they would get passed to you.

Constructed speaking, I don't think Kaladesh or AR added almost anything fun to the game. Vehicles are like pushed equipment in that they suck when pushed because by design they're hard to interact with if they're any good at all. Energy's contribution to the game revolves far too heavily around Aetherworks Marvel, which is a developmentally-broken card. Tower and Whirler Virtuoso are the only other outlets that ended up being good, and more often than not its not worth it to not include Marvel in those decks. Improvise and Fabricate haven't really showed up in constructed outside of my own stupid brews, but I wish they were good there.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I'll take Past In Flame over Bonfire. At least Past has a viable deck in Modern. Obviously Bonfire is a better limited Mythic.

Seance though can be insane in white based flicker decks.

AAK is much too aggro heavy. Part of that is because red is really good but more of is that improvise and revolt both need too many enablers for too little payoff. Drafted a BW revolt deck with 2 hidden stockpile and I'd just get overrun but if I stabilised I'd eventually be able to go through my entire deck.
GB counters is about the only synergy deck that's really rewarding.

OOB was way better than AAK but KLD was leagues ahead of BFZ limited.

Angry Grimace

Kaladesh block might be worse than Battle for Zendikar block all things considered.

I mean, that seems far-fetched to me, because BFZ committed the cardinal sin of being actively boring in limited while adding almost nothing interesting to constructed beyond lands that were broken from the start. From a flavor perspective the entire set was ELDRAZI ELDRAZI ELDRAZI, too. They were so common that they weren't interesting. They really should have stuck with Eldrazi pawns being more common and the Eldrazi themselves being something you saw more rarely. The reason why ROE worked in limited was that even though there were Eldrazi at all rarity levels, they all inspired a sense of dread because they were huge fuckoff annhilators that would rapidly destroy you as opposed to just being another tribal type.

Santiako

Kaladesh block might be worse than Battle for Zendikar block all things considered.

Not even close, BFZ is worthless. Kaladesh was great for constructed and limited. Aether Revolt made the draft format a bit too aggressive, but triple KLD is just superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom