• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

Games can still require online, it's a publisher decision.
Ya. Damn... and Activision was working their way back into my good books. Hopefully it's a console ban thingy that gets sorted out. This was the same guy that Major Nelson promised to take care of, right?

f0lken

Games can still require online, it's a publisher decision.

Yes, but if he can't even go to settings is most likely that this is not an Activision issue but a MS one, and it all points towards the patch he downloaded wasn't the one that removes the DRM which will be available on launch day. I mean, he downloadd a 500mb patch but I remember people were sayong that the day one update wasaround the 1.4GB mark, is a significant difference in size

I don't think he downloaded the Day One Patch. This is what the guy who did the AMA a day ago posted in regarded to the 500MB update thing.

AMA Guy
Last update I took was 300MB, Reboot. Kinect Flaash UI. Force into 1.6GB update.

AMA Guy
get almost daily updates from the RTM branch.

Someone responded:
Ah, so maybe they are not getting full / finished day one patches. That would make sense.

AMA Guy

MaulerX

That was yesterday

GttjNZH.png

This is today

Nothing to worry here tbh. Like someone said, he got "a" patch but not the DRM removal patch. He could've played the game yesterday because he was still within the 24 hr. before the system required the online check.

mechphree

Most likely and the patch he has either isn't the one that reverses the DRM from before or its just not in its final state yet. I mean the console is more than a week away I would be concerned if its was like 2-3 days out they still have plenty of time.I mean its dumb they locked him out but I mean complaining your console isn't working when you got it really early isn't really fair.

We need more clarification. First he says it works then he says it won't work at all even in settings. So I wonder if his system is bricked or he can use it just not play any games. I think it has something to do with his temporary ban.

Tsundere

Banned
I don't think he downloaded the Day One Patch. This is what the guy who did the AMA a day ago posted in regarded to the 500MB update thing.

AMA Guy

AMA Guy

Someone responded:

AMA Guy

That's what the guy who did the AMA a day ago posted.

I call bullshit on that, why would retail units have access to the nightly builds of the Firmware?

The patch he probably downloaded wasn't the "day one" patch, but an updated-but-not-final build of the OS, and the 24 hour limit seems like it's still in place. Either that or there's a patch for Ghosts itself that he's missing that isn't published at the moment.

Well, "obviously" we have no idea what's actually going on. It stands to reason that, yes, perhaps turning off the online check didn't make it to the patch he currently has, or simply that he's mistaken or confused about something.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but didn't Major Nelson say he would be able to play offline until the ban was lifted closer to launch?
I don't give a shit what some dude who got a system early can or can't play. Nor should anyone else. This is just a stupid topic that has legs because it's about the Xbox...lol.

Respawn

Banned
Ok, I just found a picture of Call of Duty: Ghosts Xbox One packaging.

It does NOT say offline play is enabled.

http://abload.de/img/whatcallzko80.jpg[/ig]

This doesn't confirm anything one way or the other, of course, but there it is.[/QUOTE]
Oh boy. Amirox I think quite a few folks are going to be screwed comenext week. Like you said it could mean nothing.

Furyous

Sounds like this gen, Xbox Live ban = console bricked.

This could be a result of the console breaking the street date. There's no way Microsoft is this inept... right?

If this happens during launch week then the internet might explode. Let's all hope Microsoft has their stuff together.

hawk2025

You'd think the MAJOR deal of turning off the 24-hour check would be absolutely implemented into every single patch as soon as possible, no?

I'm willing to give the benefit of doubt here until we know more, but I do recall Larry Hryb saying that he would be able to play CoD offline until the network is up and he's "unbanned".

I don't give a shit what some dude who got a system early can or can't play. Nor should anyone else. This is just a stupid topic that has legs because it's about the Xbox...lol.

I won't respond to the pointless persecution complex, but I'll say this -- you should "give a shit". It may be the case that the policy changed so that bans actually also lock out offline content, unlike the 360.

Amir0x

Banned
So the options that seem most likely is that the patch he got did not fully remove the DRM option and that the 24 hour check is still active on his system. Since he cannot currently go online thanks to his ban, it's effectively a non-check in.

I am going with this for now because it's the only thing that makes sense for me

Tsundere

Banned
You do know that the xbox isnt out for 2 weeks right? There isnt supposed to be retail units yet.

I'd like to think (like you would probably too) that Microsoft is competent enough to restrict access to the repository containing its nightly Firmware builds, do you not?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Look at that wording though, especially 'SOME' games, at the end

To just give an idea

Say a user gets an Xbox one at launch and updates it once and never takes it online again

A game comes out down the road that makes use of an awesome new API and the game has the firmware update on disc... but the system can't do anything with it because the launch window system builds couldn't update by disc so you would need to go online for that update for that game as it wont work otherwise

Ok, I just found a picture of Call of Duty: Ghosts Xbox One packaging.

It does NOT say offline play is enabled.

whatcallzko80.jpg

This doesn't confirm anything one way or the other, of course, but there it is.

Megaton!!!!
Not Really

At the very least, this should garner a twitter response from Major or Panello me thinks...just for clarification of course.

Guy has problem with console he activated two weeks early with an unknown patch.

Stop da presses.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you didn't know the guy downloaded the day one patch, and everything was working fine until he was banned an hour and a half into playing COD.

Here is what it says behind the Xbox one call of duty ghosts box

Additional storage, hardware and Xbox Live may be required for some updates and features, including retention of some gameplay settings and information.

mechphree

People are giving this legs because they want to know if drm practices are still in place. Microsoft went back on its policy but Activision could have built in drum for their next gen COD.

Vestal

Gold Member
I call bullshit on that, why would retail units have access to the nightly builds of the Firmware?

Umm this is still beta for them. "retail" units are out in Dev/Beta tester environments around the country connected to live downloading updates.

viveks86

So the options that seem most likely is that the patch he got did not fully remove the DRM option and that the 24 hour check is still active on his system. Since he cannot currently go online thanks to his ban, it's effectively a non-check in.

I am going with this for now because it's the only thing that makes sense for me

I wouldn't be so sure. May be the ban that MS imposed was a complete console ban and not just access to Live. This might have nothing to do with DRM.

EDIT:

Welp. This is confusing indeed. The quote below says only Live access has been prohibited. But he says he can't even access system settings.

Yeah. Nelson has a blog post related to the early xbox one's: http://majornelson.com/2013/11/09/a-few-xbox-ones-have-appeared-in-the-wild/

"given we are still putting the finishing touches on our games, UI and online services, as well as confidential partner and media agreements, these consoles units will be restricted from connecting to Xbox Live until closer to our launch date."

Finishing touches to these items indicate that he doesn't have the full update.

Justin

I'd like to think (like you would probably too) that Microsoft is competent enough to restrict access to the repository containing its nightly Firmware builds, do you not?

They have to push the updates live at some point. Do you want months of firmware updates being push to a live environment first the first time at midnight on the 22nd? That would be a disaster and even the worst developer in the world wouldnt do that.

hawk2025

Same, probably what's happening.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
So MS has another knee jerk reaction and banned him, not wanting him to disclose any NDA'd info, which if anything would have built hype. Instead now he can't play offline and this will turn into another big PR problem.

It's as if somehow Sony has hired MS to market the PS4.

diggler41

Same here. I understand people getting ahead of themselves due to how awful the DRM was when it was first revealed but there is no way Microsoft is this stupid. So we wait.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Major Nelson tweeted roughly the same thing. Knickers gonna twist.

Yeah. Nelson has a blog post related to the early xbox one's: http://majornelson.com/2013/11/09/a-few-xbox-ones-have-appeared-in-the-wild/

"given we are still putting the finishing touches on our games, UI and online services, as well as confidential partner and media agreements, these consoles units will be restricted from connecting to Xbox Live until closer to our launch date."

Finishing touches to these items indicate that he doesn't have the full update.

Steel

Banned

Pretty much the same here with the caveat that activision could have implemented online-only on their lonesome by the looks of the retail box backs. Still, interesting.

Tsundere

Banned
They have to push the updates live at some point. Do you want months of firmware updates being push to a live environment fir the first time at midnight no the 22nd?

In a more controlled way, yes definitely. No screening at all? By console serial # or even MAC? Are they that incompetent?

To just give an idea

Say a user gets an Xbox one at launch and updates it once and never takes it online again

A game comes out down the road that makes use of an awesome new API and the game has the firmware update on disc... but the system can't do anything with it because the launch window system builds couldn't update by disc so you would need to go online for that update for that game as it wont work otherwise
I'd assume that update would be included on the game disk as well. I think the dash on my 360 updated when I popped in a new game disk (I don't have my 360 connected).

Top Bottom