• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

U2NUMB

You know your buy too many games when you just realize 2 hours before it unlocks.. that the game is out tonight. Any way to force the patch on X1 right now? Or is there a way to tell if you have it? I am sitting at around 45 gigs

Honestly, because it isn't a stealth game. You have the option to play stealthly, but it's more immersive sim-y, play how you want, than Thief's or Splinter Cell's stealth focus. That wider umbrella makes the not sneaking as exciting and thrilling as sneaking.

Good point. I stand corrected.

I did play more run and gun than stealth, too.

I never got into Splinter Cell outside of Conviction and Chaos Theory. Metal Gear was always preferable.

For PC gamers, the config file is located here:

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\dishonored2\base\dishonored2Config.cfg

For one reason or another, even though you can turn mouse smoothing down to 0, there's still a line in this file that says, g_mouseSmooth "1". Change the 1 to a 0. It seems to have fixed mouse smoothing issues I was having in-game, but I'm still having issues in menus.

Stoze

Biggest change I'm excited about is being able to consistently use the heart as a moral compass. It potentially fixes how very binary and obfuscated the original's morality system was, while adding more incentive for complexity and decision making in gameplay. Instead of throwing a grenade or whatever to take 3 guys out at once, maybe you lure the asshole away and kill him, knock out the morally gray one and stuff his body in a corner, and just pickpocket the innocent one.

Assuming it works as robust as that, I don't think I've seen any footage of it being used, just read info on it from previews.

Dmax3901

Cross-posting my impressions of everything but the graphics/performance (there's enough of that in other threads):

The narrative, the world, the lore, all of it is as intriguing and engaging as the first game. It actually feels great to be in this world again. There’s no disconnect between the two games either, Dunwall feels like Dunwall and Karnaca (which I’ve only just arrived at) fits perfectly with the universe set up in the original Dishonored. The new/returning characters all have me intrigued, and wanting to learn more about them.

One rather significant change is that your character now speaks, whether you play as Emily or Corvo they’ll now comment on things you see and do in the world. So far this has been enjoyable rather than irritating. Emily will for example reminisce about simpler times of smoking her hookah with friends, or lessons with her mother. At one point, after killing a traitorous City Watchman, she commented that he wasn’t fit for the uniform, her voice full of spite. It definitely heightens the emotional connection with Emily and her plight.

Enemies are a lot tougher now, especially at the beginning when Emily has no powers. Unlike the original game, they no longer have to have their whole bodies turned toward you to spot you. If you raise their awareness meter even a little, they’ll continue on their patrol but their head will be turned towards where they spotted you, making it quite difficult to get away unseen. Guards will notice if doors have been opened (even if they weren’t in earshot when you opened it) and when approaching them from behind, if you’re in their peripheral vision, they will spot you very quickly. It’s quite brutal.

I actually recommend playing without objective markers and just explore the levels organically. It’s a lot more rewarding to stumble across tucked away audiographs or hidden treasure. I noticed there were places I couldn’t get to as Emily in the first area (as she didn’t have blink yet) that I assume you CAN get to with Corvo. This could make multiple playthroughs interesting. It may also be worth mentioning that you can choose to reject the outsider’s help, forgoing supernatural powers for the entire game. I may only have seen the first handful of areas (as well as the Clockwork Mansion at the EB Games Expo), but I’m comfortable in saying that the level design is just as good if not better than original game. The scale of everything seems grander in general, you can climb higher, streets are wider, that sort of thing. It feels great.

Some other tidbits: Emily will fill out her journal as she progresses through the story, adding extra depth to her character, as well as keeping all the different political machinations fresh in your mind. It’s a nice touch that you have to actually interact with her journal to unlock these updates. Another welcome little addition is that maps you find out in the world will be saved in your journal, for future reference.

Tovarisc

dishonored2_2016_11_0ncs3s.png

Elginer

With the recent state of things going on I'm so excited to get this and my Pro tomorrow. Any details on the Pro enhancements?

Played a couple hours of it earlier on VPN: it's Dishonored 2, exactly as expected. Loving it. So many great stealth games this past few months!

Deus Ex, Aragami D2... I feel like I'm missing some also.

P.S. I have an extra Dishonored:DE steam key from pre-ordering I don't need. If anyone wants it PM me.

dyergram

I was super excited to play this on my pro tomorrow but Amazon have decided it's coming on Saturday now the shit heads.

Landford

Banned
Played a couple hours of it earlier on VPN: it's Dishonored 2, exactly as expected. Loving it. So many great stealth games this past few months!

Deus Ex, Aragami D2... I feel like I'm missing some also.

P.S. I have an extra Dishonored:DE steam key from pre-ordering I don't need. If anyone wants it PM me.

If you dont mind parting with it, would like it very much.

Edit: Thanks Shine! You are awesome! Downloading now

Corpekata

Banned
Gotta say, even though I love Garret, I am not a fan of Corvo's voice here. It sounds too similar to Daud from DH1 (I described him as a sleepier Micheal Madsen in another thread) as well as some of the random NPCs. I was waffling on who to play when I first started, but after the tutorial it was clear Emily was the choice for me simply due to VA.

Man they really improved the scope of areas. I've been running around this first mission hub for a long time it seems. Xbox one version, performance has been solid mostly but the boat intro to the hub really took a frame hit. Little screen tearing as well. Also game seems blurry in the distance, not sure if it's xbox one resolution or just the art style.

TheBear

Picked this up today cheap with a Pro. I have the original on PC, should I play that first or can I just jump in on this one?

Grisby

Man, I love the art direction in this series. The world is just so fascinating. I'd put Dunwall and the entire world/history of Dishonored up there with Rapture, City 17, and the Metro. Karnaca looks like a great upgrade from Dunwall
I believe the art director for Half-Life 2 does the art now for Dishonored.
Man they really improved the scope of areas. I've been running around this first mission hub for a long time it seems. Xbox one version, performance has been solid mostly but the boat intro to the hub really took a frame hit. Little screen tearing as well. Also game seems blurry in the distance, not sure if it's xbox one resolution or just the art style.
Sounds good. Some hot ass stealthing is going to happen tomorrow night. Brandy and cigars for all.

Loved Dishonored, was my GOTY of 2012.

I'm leaning towards an Emily playthrough first to try out the new powers.

I'm not picking it up till after work Friday but I have Saturday off so I'm expecting a nice long game sesh in the night.

Karak

This things frame rate is so troubling.
That being said its been ok. Not really super exciting but overall pretty competent. Wish the level design wasn't so Gears with the walls in the middle of the road for no reason and stuff like that which really reminds me of gray boxing. But like exploring the nooks and crannies.. As always though sleepdarts in all games crack me up. Loving that here.

robotrock

Banned
Just noticed there's a Snapchat filter for this game right now, if you're wondering why they felt they didn't need to send out review copies early

This things frame rate is so troubling.
That being said its been ok. Not really super exciting but overall pretty competent. Wish the level design wasn't so Gears with the walls in the middle of the road for no reason and stuff like that which really reminds me of gray boxing. But like exploring the nooks and crannies.. As always though sleepdarts in all games crack me up. Loving that here.

What version? Stutter; Tearing?

U2NUMB

And of course the 9 gig update did not pre load. No idea how to get this to happen on the X1 but I am officially annoyed.

anyone get the collectors edition? Interested in the quality of the mask. I know its not wearable, which is slightly disappointing

Gtafans93

played the first hour and a half and it's fun but xbox has framerates that feel sub 30 FPS. very strange since while nice looking it isnt the best

drotahorror

Maybe I'm just being picky but I hate when they have a 'press 'x' to skip' cutescene prompt the whole time.

I think there should be a standard. If you press a button, a prompt comes up and says "hold "x" to skip", then disappears if you don't press another button/key.

From what I can tell on the store, the game is out. Yet when I go to launch it on Xbox One from My Games & Apps it says, "Too Early" along with the Pre-Ordered Banner the bottom of the Dishonored 2 block.
played the first hour and a half and it's fun but xbox has framerates that feel sub 30 FPS. very strange since while nice looking it isnt the best

Digital or Physical?

Kvik

EBGames has shipped my limited edition, but doesn't seem like I will get it by Friday, especially with Auspost and their rubbish delivery contractor.

I'm going for triple whammy of Mostly flesh and steel/clean hands/ghost run. :)

Gtafans93

From what I can tell on the store, the game is out. Yet when I go to launch it on Xbox One from My Games & Apps it says, "Too Early" along with the Pre-Ordered Banner the bottom of the Dishonored 2 block.

Digital or Physical?

physical strange thing was I needed to DL a 9gig update really hope it gets fixed cause while playable it just feels off

Wanderer5

Cool that the poster has a side with the in memory of the empress banner.

I don't remember the last time I got a CE for a game, but the mask looks decent enough for display. Getting it for $80 too thanks to Amazon Prime.

Top Bottom