• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

Noi

As far as Orochi is concerned? I think that Orochi should get a rest for a while after this MO2 update. I need to see what they'll do for Sengoku Musou 4 first, and again, it really needs to be something special after waiting so long, and with Sengoku BASARA 4 releasing at or around the same time.

Anyway, as long as the Musou style shows no signs of stopping? I'm all for more brands getting adapted to it. If Sophitia's appearance in the MO2 update isn't at all a sign that Bamco is getting them to make a Soulcalibur Musou spin off (re: "Lost Swords"?) I'd be surprised. They'll need a quick and easy way to reel fans back in along with SC2HD, while Project Soul works on the definitive next-gen sequel.

I don't think Namco is too keen on revisiting a Musou-style game for the Soul Calibur franchise again.

...Unless they just handed the IP to Omega Force and said "do whatever you want with it" anyway.

Red Mage

Have you guys got a favorite song or soundtrack from the series? I've been living up the Dynasty Warriors 5 soundtrack lately.

Favorite level track is probably He Fei, Great Red Spirit

Last Battle (DW7) followed by Avenging Battle, Dark Angel, and Eve (DW4). I also enjoyed a lot of SW2's OST.

I really wish Koei would implement an online mode where two players could choose a Free Mode Map and play on opposing sides. My friend and I would use a gameshark code back in the day to do just this on DW3, and it was awesome.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I have a real soft spot for Omega Forces games, I don't think they're amazing but I always have a good time with them. Currently got Fist Of The North Star 2 and Warriors Orochi 3 sitting here to play sometime. Hell I even really liked Legends Of Troy and had fun with that. I don't buy every single game though as I would burn out on them but I love dipping into the series, think it's unfairly maligned.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I guess i can ask here, there are many musou games coming for ps3/vita, samurai warriors 2 hd extreme legends and empires, dinasty warriors 8 extreme legends and warriors orochi 3 ultimate, what are the differences between them? What are the best ones? But most importantly is Wang Yi in them? <3 lol
Another question, on vita samurai warriors 2 hd extreme legends and samurai warriors 2 hd empires will be sold separately, are they 2 different games or there's no sense buying both?

TreIII

I don't think Namco is too keen on revisiting a Musou-style game for the Soul Calibur franchise again.

...Unless they just handed the IP to Omega Force and said "do whatever you want with it" anyway.

Well, to be fair, that last one wasn't done by Omega Force!

But beyond that, Bamco certainly has plenty of options available for how they could go about such a thing, whether they want to actually employ Koei's services again or not. Again, I don't think they would have much to lose, considering that between that and SC2HD, easy-peasy fanservice releases without spending a whole lot of money would be just the kind of thing I would expect for them to rally support for SC again.

Red Mage

I guess i can ask here, there are many musou games coming for ps3/vita, samurai warriors 2 hd extreme legends and empires, dinasty warriors 8 extreme legends and warriors orochi 3 ultimate, what are the differences between them? What are the best ones? But most importantly is Wang Yi in them? <3 lol
Another question, on vita samurai warriors 2 hd extreme legends and samurai warriors 2 hd empires will be sold separately, are they 2 different games or there's no sense buying both?

Wang Yi is in WO3U and DW8. Not sure about the SW2 HD, but the DW8 for Vita has XL with it, so it will probably be true with SW2 HD.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wang Yi is in WO3U and DW8. Not sure about the SW2 HD, but the DW8 for Vita has XL with it, so it will probably be true with SW2 HD.

Ok thanks :) any suggestion on what to buy? And is it worth buying the two sw 2 hd games or one is enough? And what are the differences between them?
Sorry for the many questions! XD

Red Mage

Ok thanks :) any suggestion on what to buy? And is it worth buying the two sw 2 hd games or one is enough? And what are the differences between them?
Sorry for the many questions! XD

If you get the PS3 version, you'll get all three games. If you want a PSV version, it depends on what you want . XL comes with more storymodes/characters while Empires has no story mode and you can create your own character and try to take over the land. I prefer XL, myself.

Crossposting from this thread, taking from the PS blog. On sale in the EU PS store from today:

Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires
Was &#8364;44.99/£34.99/AU$62.95, now &#8364;24.99/£19.99/AU$29.95
Additional 10% off for PS Plus members

Fist of the North Star: Ken&#8217;s Rage 2 (Not available in NZ)
Was &#8364;49.99/£39.99/AU$69.95, now &#8364;24.99/£19.99/AU$29.95

One Piece: Pirate Warriors
Was &#8364;39.99/£29.99/AU$49.95, now &#8364;19.99/£15.99/AU$24.95
Resident Evil Revelations

Warriors Orochi 3
Was &#8364;29.99/£19.99/AU$39.95, now &#8364;14.99/£10.99/AU$17.95

Some good deals there. I already have FoTN2 and WO3, might pick up DW7E but I'm not sure I can go back to DW7 combat after playing 8.

Shengar

Don't know this thread exist. Definitely subs it.
So, when we should expect Samurai Warriors 4 with new playable Takigawa Kazumasu, Niwa Nagahide, get released?

Wow, I nearly missed this!

Famitsu Leaks: Shin Gundam Musou(PS3/V)

Looking forward to more info, loved DW Gundam 2 and 3 but they both have some serious flaws. A 4th iteration improving the annoying parts and with some sped-up combat (DW8 style) would be pure awesomesauce. Also, bring back the parts system!

edit: Back to realistic (non-cell shaded) graphics, over 100 mobile suits, release December 19. (According to http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/03/shin-dynasty-warriors-gundam-in-development-for-ps3-and-vita/)

Don't know this thread exist. Definitely subs it.
So, when we should expect Samurai Warriors 4 with new playable Takigawa Kazumasu, Niwa Nagahide, get released?

Koei has stated they are aiming for a Feb. 2014 release in Japan.

I imagine we have to see at the very least the first trailer during TGS.

Noi

From today's Sony conference:

- Sengoku Musou 4's first platform reveal: PS Vita
- Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL for PS4.

PS4 version of DW8 looks super good. I'll wait for that one even if it means not being able to transfer my PS3 save.

Red Mage

From today's Sony conference:

- Sengoku Musou 4's first platform reveal: PS Vita
- Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL for PS4.

PS4 version of DW8 looks super good. I'll wait for that one even if it means not being able to transfer my PS3 save.

So it's exclusive? Looks like I have enough games to justify a PSV now. : )

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Cool about PS4 Dynasty Warriors 8. I held off on getting it for PS3, so I hope it doesn't take too long to come stateside for PS4.

Hystzen

Hopefully we get that DW8+ XL bundle in UK would be sweet getting some that musou action on PS4

tumblr_m7g9mayPZo1qa6azro1_400.gif

meppi

Finally saw the footage of this.
Even though the camera quality was terrible, I love what I saw.
The animation looks great and the lighting makes a big difference. Wasn't quite expecting the character models to look as good either.

If the game came out on launch here, I'd pick it up without batting an eye. :)

Yawnier

Banned
Nice to see an expansion of the best DW game of the generation getting a release on the PS4, I must say. Not bad Koei.

Nice to see an expansion of the best DW game of the generation getting a release on the PS4, I must say. Not bad Koei.
Not just an expansion either. It's like SM3Z was, combination of SSM7 with the expansion. :D. Yay for no needing to constantly swap discs!

sensui-tomo

not sure if this was posted, but for some reason i'm able to download some of the DW8 dlc on my vita(NA region account) hoping this is a sign of good things to come XD

not sure if this was posted, but for some reason i'm able to download some of the DW8 dlc on my vita(NA region account) hoping this is a sign of good things to come XD

!!

Hm, looked through my download list and yep, oddly enough some of the DLC are downloadable onto my Vita. I mean, it's just some of them like I can get two sets of the costumes but the other two I can not. Some stages are downloadable but some are not. But I guess Koei is considering the Vita version being brought over at least.

----------------------------------------------------------

Also, Koei is releasing the WO3 costumes for DoA5. While that isn't a big deal, the end of that blog post hints that we are probably going to get WO3U overseas eventually. Maybe.

Regarding the overseas release of Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, I don&#8217;t know but you can probably take this DLC name as a hint.

sensui-tomo

i'd like to be able to buy WO3U on whatever platform more or less, could care less if its(and probably will be) digital only. wonder if japan will do a Warriors orochi 3 Z(add some other franchise character and make it 60 fps for ps4)

i'd like to be able to buy WO3U on whatever platform more or less, could care less if its(and probably will be) digital only. wonder if japan will do a Warriors orochi 3 Z(add some other franchise character and make it 60 fps for ps4)

In all honestly, I can't imagine K-T will be willing enough to re-release WO3 for the 4th time onto the PS4. Unless DW8+XL sells like hotcakes when it launches there.

I think they'll just port SM4+XL onto it and maybe release a WO4 after Empires comes out for DW8 or something like that.

sensui-tomo

they probably wont though(to go with their 3 games limit ala orochi 1 had WO/WO(whatever japan called it, we called it 2) and Orochi Z and the same generally goes for the other DW/SW games) just me spouting some ideas out there for a wishful orochi title, I do wonder however if the next Musou titles(disregarding samurai) will be on xbone next gen due to the difference of the ps4/xb1 unless they do a poor job like WO3(whatever the wii-u title was called) since you could tell the quality of the port instantly whenever you watched a movie in dw7/8

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Wish that WO3U would come out here. I wouldn't mind importing it if I didn't buy so much DLC for the US version.

Sora_N

Is DW6E worth playing at all? I wish they would put DW7E on sale instead. It's tempted to grab DW6E for $5 but I may not even play it lol.

Yawnier

Banned
Is DW6E worth playing at all? I wish they would put DW7E on sale instead. It's tempted to grab DW6E for $5 but I may not even play it lol.

My post from another thread:

I've been with the DW series since DW2, and I would start with 7 or 8 (both are great, 7 is probably cheaper now) and avoid anything to do with 6. They actually cut out some characters with 6 without adding any new ones, and there were many cloned/shared movesets between characters (i.e. 5 characters would wield the same spear) which bothered people.

I would also argue that 6: Empires is the worst of all of the Empires entries that I've played because of all the features they streamlined and simplified even more from 5: Empires and moreover; it is an expansion to 6 which has the shitty renbu system for combat. But it is pretty cheap, if you want to try it go ahead but it might put you off the entire series.

I wouldn't bother with it personally as it is the worst of all the Empires iterations, but you may still have some fun with it.

If you care about trophies, it's probably one of the easiest Musou games to get a platinum in.

Of course, you gotta get through all the renbu system and other things everyone dislikes of 6.

Nice, the Dynasty/Samurai/Orochi trilogy is among my favorite franchises ever (no hyperbole) and Omega Force is one of my favorite devs; I've been hooked since 1997. With that said, of all the games released between them the only titles I've never played were Samurai Warriors: Katana for the Wii and the titles that were not released here in NA. So like a 93% rate I'd wing. Not a fan of the Gundam or One Piece games though.

Fingers crossed for a Samurai Warriors 4 localization.

DW Online was weird. I played it for a week, and something felt...off. It felt like someone else tried to copy it but didn't quite nail the game.

Also, yeah, there seems to be a ton of grinding.

Yawnier

Banned
DW Online was weird. I played it for a week, and something felt...off. It felt like someone else tried to copy it but didn't quite nail the game.

Also, yeah, there seems to be a ton of grinding.

My experience with it is similar, I played it for a few weeks and gave it up once I realized just how much of a grindfest it was to get somewhere decent and the combat did feel off, it was in the style of DW5 but it was a bit more jankier and the PvP battles against humans I felt weren't done all that well either.

This must be bad news for those who have puts hundreds of hours into this game though.

My experience with it is similar, I played it for a few weeks and gave it up once I realized just how much of a grindfest it was to get somewhere decent and the combat did feel off, it was in the style of DW5 but it was a bit more jankier and the PvP battles against humans I felt weren't done all that well either.

This must be bad news for those who have puts hundreds of hours into this game though.

I'm glad someone feels the same way. I hopped onto their forums and they were some die-hard players though. Lots of talk about godly players and awesome pvp techniques, but nobody said anything about how disjointed the game felt.

Wasn't the whole game practically pvp though? I thought there was a constant tracker of which of the 3 kingdoms were dominating the server. All the maps I saw looked to be 2v2 pvp maps as well.

Yawnier

Banned
I'm glad someone feels the same way. I hopped onto their forums and they were some die-hard players though. Lots of talk about godly players and awesome pvp techniques, but nobody said anything about how disjointed the game felt.

Wasn't the whole game practically pvp though? I thought there was a constant tracker of which of the 3 kingdoms were dominating the server. All the maps I saw looked to be 2v2 pvp maps as well.

When I tried it about 3 years ago you could choose between Shu, Wei, or Wu for the scenario that was going on then (Yi Ling perhaps?). After that scenario, I think there was another with the allied campaign against Dong Zhuo but I could be wrong.

I thought some battles like campaign missions for the kingdom you chose to serve were only with NPC opponents and no real players, but I also don't remember the exact details as it's been a few years since I tried it and then I believe they revamped or planned to revamp the game to be like DW7 but IDK if that went completely through lol.

Something was definitely off with the game though, evidenced by the fact it wasn't an overly popular game in the first place even among a good slice of the Musou enthusiasts I know.

Yeah, it's been years since I tried. I only wanted to play with a friend, but there were soooo many tutorials and solo missions at the beginning that my friend got turned off of trying to play it. Then I got turned off from not only that, but the strangely janky gameplay on top of that.

It really is a shame, but the truth is that any musou enthusiast would be better off getting WO3 or DW:G and playing online on those games. You can have your co-op action and it would actually count towards a save that won't get obliterated next month lol.

Yawnier

Banned
^ Agreed, not only are those games better (IMO) but it's also why I try to stick to games that at least have a single player component to them nowadays.

Huh, kinda weird that the NA servers for DW:O are closing down now that the Japanese game has been getting updates with DW7 weapons and such.

Oh well, as much as a musou fan I am, I can't really imagine how doing a PVP MMO version of it will be that enjoyable.

Top Bottom