• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Minsc

Gold Member
Nice OP, looking forward to playing the game, though I wish I could buy it sans uPlay from GOG :p

Gvaz

Banned
I had some weird slowdowns on my 660TI. Apparently it's a unity issue, they did say they were going to try and sort it but we will see I suppose.

I can play something like Remember Me or ME3 or whatever, but this is like sub 20 fps. Not that you need 60fps but it looks like shit and runs like shit. Shops are like 8fps. Changing resolution does little, and changing settings makes a difference of like 5fps at times.

I have an HD5550 tho.

Gothos

Performance is abysmal if you have pretty much anything less than say like a nvidia 400 or equivalent card from what I'm told.

Performance was in general the most reported problem during the early access. We'll see if they were able to deal with it, but I'm not an optimist in that regard.

Eusis

I can play something like Remember Me or ME3 or whatever, but this is like sub 20 fps. Not that you need 60fps but it looks like shit and runs like shit. Shops are like 8fps. Changing resolution does little, and changing settings makes a difference of like 5fps at times.

I have an HD5550 tho.
An authentic old school experience!(!?)

bought into the early access but figured I'd wait until it was finished before really jumping in...can't believe it's almost here.

sogood.gif

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This game looks great! I always loved what little I played of the old games, so might dip into this if the impressions are as good as it looks!

ys45

Already got the early access for this , can't wait .
Anyone else feels like early access was a joke for this game ? They released only 2 updates IIRC.

kazebyaka

Banned
Tried an early access version. Not sure about patches. On my 780oc, i5 4570 it runs in 40fps with all on ultra. With shadows/terrain on high, it's 60 at the day and 40 in the night. With these graphics it should run 500 fps. Will wait a full version.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Already got the early access for this , can't wait .
Anyone else feels like early access was a joke for this game ? They released only 2 updates IIRC.

Yea it was pretty pointless. The devs were very active with the community on their forums though and hosted a bunch of polls to help shape various aspects of the game.

Sinatar

Thanks for the impressions btw. I'm still on the fence, this would normally be a slam dunk purchase, but I don't know the dev and there are a lot of negative reviews on steam.

RPG Codex goes pretty in depth into the first 2 acts and they are very positive.

The Codex said:
Oh, you want a final verdict? Alright, here's one: MMXL is actually a Might & Magic game. Limbic and Ubisoft made no presumptions here. They asked the fans what they wanted, and then they used the hallowed titles of the series as a blueprint. After a decade of wandering in the wilderness of sordid action games masquerading as roleplaying games, of suffering through people citing Oblivion as "one of the old-school greats", Might & Magic is back as something other than a strategy game. And it's genuine. Whatever its flaws, no matter how many bugs get stomped between now and release, MMXL will sink or swim based on the answer to one terrible question: do enough people still want to play this genre?

Gvaz

Banned
How is this game hard as fucking balls on the "easy/normal" setting?

Go around town looking at places, kill some spiders hidden in barrels. Literally nothing to do afterwards and you can't afford shit, first quest has you go kill spiders in a well.

Okay, these first 3 spiders aren't so bad. *walks into opening* SPIDER QUEEN. Oh okay lets knock back and snare thi- oh she's immune to any spell that deals with moving her? Welp. How about freezing? Nope. How about taunting so she doesn't hit my ranger/mage? Nope. And to make matters worse, she hits like a fucking mac truck at my level 1 dudes.

Okay.

Sinatar

How is this game hard as fucking balls on the "easy/normal" setting?

Go around town looking at places, kill some spiders hidden in barrels. Literally nothing to do afterwards and you can't afford shit, first quest has you go kill spiders in a well.

Okay, these first 3 spiders aren't so bad. *walks into opening* SPIDER QUEEN. Oh okay lets knock back and snare thi- oh she's immune to any spell that deals with moving her? Welp. How about freezing? Nope. How about taunting so she doesn't hit my ranger/mage? Nope. And to make matters worse, she hits like a fucking mac truck at my level 1 dudes.

Okay.

It's not that bad. They give you a whole pile of potions at the start for a reason.

Jigorath

Banned
I never thought we would get another core Might and Magic game, I can't wait to play this. Though I wish the gameplay was more like MM6-8 but whatever, beggars can't be choosers.

Damaniel

Banned
I played it in the early Early Access days, and it seemed pretty solid, but had a lot of balance issues. Of course, that was the main point of having the Early Access in the first place; to make the game more balanced. I specifically stopped playing it after a couple days, since I didn't want to ruin the game for its eventual 'normal' release.

I'll download it when the full version is available. However, I still wish they'd do another M&M in the style of VI, VII, and VIII. Those were the best games in the series, and one of the few sets of 100+ hour each games that I've beaten more than once. (Honestly, I wasn't very impressed with Terra or the Xeen games compared to the 3 games that came after them, but that's probably because I only played the older M&M games for the first time about 5 years ago.)

V_Arnold

Okay, I can confirm that is more than playable (usually 60fps, lower when at night and when moving around and there is texture swapping) with a HD770. Sucks that the graphics does not go higher than 1366*768 - I mean, what is up with that?

Now, I have no idea where the item identifyers are...it is not going to be a spell, isnt it?
I have a few unidentified items, and no NPC willing to reveal them...

Sinatar

Okay, I can confirm that is more than playable (usually 60fps, lower when at night and when moving around and there is texture swapping) with a HD770. Sucks that the graphics does not go higher than 1366*768 - I mean, what is up with that?

Now, I have no idea where the item identifyers are...it is not going to be a spell, isnt it?
I have a few unidentified items, and no NPC willing to reveal them...

Is this the early access version? If so I was able to crank the resolution up to my crazy downsampled custom resolutions no problem.

Durante

What do you mean? I was playing it in 2560x1440 (without issues on a 660ti btw).

Alric

I'm in NA and I need that cloth map. I have a disease that requires me to purchase such games that give those requirements. Really though, it's looking really good and I still need to find a way to get that cloth map EU version.

V_Arnold

Is this the early access version? If so I was able to crank the resolution up to my crazy downsampled custom resolutions no problem.

Got it straight from steam, Press key.

Durante said:
What do you mean? I was playing it in 2560x1440 (without issues on a 660ti btw).

On the client, the resolutions I can set the game to stops right at 1366*768 @60hz. Weird. My HD7770 has 1gb GDDR5 ram. Not sure if 1gb is a culprit as every other games work with higher resolutions just fine... should I edit some cfg files? :p

Gvaz

Banned
Got it straight from steam, Press key.

On the client, the resolutions I can set the game to stops right at 1366*768 @60hz. Weird. My HD7770 has 1gb GDDR5 ram. Not sure if 1gb is a culprit as every other games work with higher resolutions just fine... should I edit some cfg files? :p

Yeah highest resolution it shows for me is 1920x1080, but I have a 1920x1200 monitor.

You can go into the ini and change it to 1920x1200 or whatever, but it looks like one or two of the GUI elements bugs out. The "leave" button stays in place where it should, but it looks like for some reason the ui extends out on the bottom right.

White Man

I found perf substantially improved later in the beta, probably back in December when I last checked it out. In the original beta, it was so rough that I didn't even finish the spider dungeon.

Sinatar

So is this the early release or full game. On steam it seems to indicate it is early release.

Early release has been available for quite some time now, the actual full release is this Thursday.

3 days. It's been 12 years, I can survive 3 more days...

V_Arnold

I used up the vast majority of them just on that fight.

Just go around the town, tons of stashed goodies for ya. Depending on how many mana-user you run, you *will* need to use up the spoils from before the room with the queen to buy additional potions.

AkuMifune

Banned
Early release has been available for quite some time now, the actual full release is this Thursday.

3 days. It's been 12 years, I can survive 3 more days...

But will they make M&MVI available on Steam after, or only for people who buy the early access version?

Cause I have high hopes for X, but not passing up my chance at the best Might & Magic. ;)

Sinatar

I've never played World of Xeen...

Oh man... so good.

Might & Magic 4 and 5 take place on 2 halves of the same world. If you have both games installed together it merges into one giant megagame called World of Xeen and has a bunch of new endgame content once you clear the M&M5 stuff.

Gvaz

Banned
Just go around the town, tons of stashed goodies for ya. Depending on how many mana-user you run, you *will* need to use up the spoils from before the room with the queen to buy additional potions.

That was after going around the whole town and buying potions. I had like. 5 left.

Durante

http://www.gog.com/game/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition

Not only does it have M&M6, but it's got 1-5 so you can in fact play the best M&M game. World of Xeen.
nicegorillasharkhighflpq10.png

I also have a soft spot for M&M 3, since it was the first one I played, and 6 seemed like such a grand step forward at the time, but World of Xeen is where it's at.

AkuMifune

Banned
Oh man... so good.

Might & Magic 4 and 5 take place on 2 halves of the same world. If you have both games installed together it merges into one giant megagame called World of Xeen and has a bunch of new endgame content once you clear the M&M5 stuff.

WTF? It's 2014 and you just blew my mind with 1994 knowledge. I'm seriously tempted to check this out now.

I missed out on 4 & 5 and came back to the series with VI. (and VII and VIII and IX.) I always assumed they'd be too dated to go back to, but they look alright.

gblues

Banned
itshappening.gif

I got the Early Access, I was just wondering the other day if they were going to have another patch. I didn't realize the release date was so close!

Looking forward to Thursday!

Victrix

*beard*
WTF? It's 2014 and you just blew my mind with 1994 knowledge. I'm seriously tempted to check this out now.

I missed out on 4 & 5 and came back to the series with VI. (and VII and VIII and IX.) I always assumed they'd be too dated to go back to, but they look alright.

Nope, 4-5 play quite well, and fast. Heck, they have a surprising number of keyboard shortcuts, and a solid automap.

Randomized loot, tons and tons and tons of dungeons and puzzles, and really fun whimsical art. I'm even fond of the music, but that's probably nostalgia speaking.

I wonder if Ubisoft will wisen up and dump Uplay? Or at least rework it, maybe require it for games BOUGHT from Uplay but on Steam it's an optional thing to log into for tracking stats and social crap. Everyone tries their own services and you just get frustrating fragmentation, but I guess some assholes like to act as if they're THAT important.

It'd be nice, I know that much.

RPG Codex goes pretty in depth into the first 2 acts and they are very positive.

" After a decade of wandering in the wilderness of sordid action games masquerading as roleplaying games, of suffering through people citing Oblivion as "one of the old-school greats"

RPG Codex has this knack for making my own horrid florid hyperbole seem tame by comparison. lol

Gvaz

Banned
They're pretty uptight and critical about rpgs. Can't really blame them with all the games going "im an rpg, look there's xp, and uhh kind of loot for you to get? My name is Battlefield"

Top Bottom