• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

fuzaco

Wow, TSM dominated COG. They couldn't even get one tower. So the difference between the NA top team and the EU top team is really as big as people are saying.

The finals are going to be interesting. I'm 90% sure it's gonna be TSM vs COG, but I wonder if COG will be able to do anything against them tomorrow after today's massive loss.

Ferny

I've been playing a lot more of this since release. So much fun and a welcome change after a ton of Dota/League.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
i got first blood on the mmobomb vote so lets do this and wreck path of exile we cant let those mabinogi kids win
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5339c727e4b0f7cfe71cc587

firstblood_zps713b987a.jpg

edit: i dont know if your a gaffer or not but ITAgamerGAF if you are reading this sorry i had to unleash the dunk the hades and agni on your team were smurfing together so i had to go all out no quarter was given to anyone that game

fuzaco

Erez never said anything about all those changes being in this week's patch. He actually said the new game mode is probably gonna take another week. Would've been one awesome patch though.

I thought it was a nice patch anyway. The HiRezTroll icon is funny (glad I haven't spent the 600 yet), Bastet remodel is nice (I don't get the buffs though, she was already very strong), and the pirate Tyr is pretty good as well even though I didn't really wanna see another pirate skin. The ward changes are also gonna be interesting, and thank god for the Sprint revert, it was seriously getting annoying. Pretty much nobody used when it was 900 gold, and now everyone has it. Hopefully this will change now.

So I've actually started playing this game recently (10 or so matches in the last week or two) and as a total first time MOBA player I have to say that I really enjoy it. I'd been interested in MOBAs before but I always found the game length + toxic communities + complexity + barrier of entry to be too high to ever really jump into something like DOTA 2. I figured that with this game just hitting the public (so there would be lots of new players) and looking like it might focus a bit more on shorted, more action packed matches I bit the bullet and dove in. I also trusted HiRez as I'd played and enjoyed Tribes: Ascend previously. Also I've always been a bit of a mythology buff, so the setting of the various pantheons was rather appealing to me.

Thus far I've been running with Support / Tank Geb when the role / god is available. Part of my fear with trying MOBAs before was that one bad player can really ruin stuff for a team, so I did my best to read up on stuff like basic lane tactics and team play before jumping in. Combine that with playing a tanky hero (meaning that I don't feed with a squishy hero if the match goes badly) and I feel like even as a total rookie I've been able to be valuable in basically all the matches that I've played. Plus when I play team games I've got a pretty low ego and I like to support with team play, so I'll usually do stuff like warding for the team, pushing objectives, and working at getting the big damage dealers on my team fed. Picking up Sovereignty to buff my team's defense or putting up Stone Shield to protect my carry when they are about to drop is always a good feeling.

General first time MOBA player thoughts:
  • The previous multiplayer genre that I've gotten into before was fighting games, which I liked for being one on one and having short match times, but I always got stuck at the level where I just needed to put in more time with combo timing / practice and I never found the time for that type of grind. With Smite you obviously still need to know your god, have your controls down pat, and have fast twitch skills, but it's not quite as practice specific and character-centric as fighting games which I really appreciate. I like to get better while learning and playing, not in training rooms. Plus it's a bit easier to jump around and try out new gods when the basic controls are so similar.
  • This might be giving myself too much credit, but I consider myself a moderately devious game player, and I also usually have pretty good map awareness. I know that I won't ever put in the time to be a really good Smite player, but I think if I keep playing I can be ok at it. I love getting the drop on someone when they least expect it, or being super ungankable in lane when I've got all my wards up to protect myself. It's a fun genre when I feel like I'm winning because I'm planning well as opposed to just executing well.
  • I'm not a rage player, and I've had good experiences with the Smite community so far, but I can see why this genre does get people to flip out. When it's five on five in a balanced match, it's so good, but that seems to only happen like 1/3 of the time. There has been a player or two dropped on like 50% or more of the matches that I've played so far. I don't care about stats, so I just treat an unbalanced match as a fun challenge (3vs5? Bring it!) but it can be a bit frustrating.

Smite specific thoughts:
  • One nice thing about this being a third person game is that I play with M+K but on a big screen TV. Smite as a MOBA seems work really well for this. You get to focus on one character (so no Illusions or minion control) and the chunky character and UI graphics make it really easy to tell what's going on even when comfy couch gaming.
  • The monetization stuff seems really reasonable. I jumped in with buying just the lowest amount of Gems so that I could unlock two gods that I was interested in starting out with. Given the amount that I play I'll probably be fine from here on out just using my main gods, an occasional spin with the weekly free gods, and buying a couple more gods with favor. At the same time the pricing all seems so reasonable and I really do enjoy the game that I'm considering picking up the all gods pack, just to have them all for the future and to support the company. Seems like F2P done right in that I really could enjoy the game fully either for free or for just a bit of money, but also in that the pricing does not seem so outrageous that I'm tempted to buy more to support the game that I enjoy.
  • I don't know how the game is doing, but I'd really love to see it have some legs. For one, I really like that they seem to like trying out new gameplay modes to keep stuff fresh. I've only done conquest, but I'd love to try some Arena at some point or some of the custom game types. For another I don't know how big the roster could reasonably get, but there are so many cool Pantheon god options that they could add. Just add in new stuff from the current ranks or bring in something like Native American gods. Lots of cool new characters all ready to add.
  • The VGS system actually seems rather handy, but I need to put in some more time to get the muscle memory down for it. I'm too slow to communicate at this point, I need to get at least some of the basic messages memorized so that I can get them out without having my character paused in lane just wanting to get ganked.

Rofl @ the Bastet remodel. I mean, it's not like any of us should be surprised at this point. Hi-Rez has been extremely blatant about over-sexualizing all of their gods, so it's all par for the course.

11 days until April 15th... guys I'm dying here. I can't wait to play Smite again.

Rofl @ the Bastet remodel. I mean, it's not like any of us should be surprised at this point. Hi-Rez has been extremely blatant about over-sexualizing all of their gods, so it's all par for the course.

11 days until April 15th... guys I'm dying here. I can't wait to play Smite again.

...why can't you play until April 15th?

Today I played for the first time AMC, in Assault.

I did it pretty well, considering that.12/4/10.

Manbig

I never played Bastet before the rework, but the moment that I saw that her pounce ignores CC on return, I had to give her a shot. Been absolutely wrecking house with her in Arena. She's pretty damn fun!

I never played Bastet before the rework, but the moment that I saw that her pounce ignores CC on return, I had to give her a shot. Been absolutely wrecking house with her in Arena. She's pretty damn fun!

Try to appear from behind to gank and use 3->2->4->a few basic attacks to kill someone, using then 1 (the jump) to pursuit if they are tanky and still alive or to run away and retreat if you succeeded.

The 3 damages and slows and it's harder to hit so that's why it's best to use it first, when the target is unaware of you. Then 2, because it's your most damaging skill and that way it's augmented by the passive, then the cats to slow him down for several seconds, between your cats and yourself attacking you should kill him, keeping the leap if they also have a leap or dash or sprint, or to run away if they counter gank you.

Pretty fun god.

MightyKAC

Just started this and I'm loving it. It's the first MOBA that's really clicked with me. PM me if anyone wants to shoot me a referral.

Did they only change Bastet's appearance, or did they re-do her kit as well?

...why can't you play until April 15th?

I'm a tax preparer. February through April 15th are insane... I basically don't play any video games during this time. I shouldn't even be on GAF but if I don't take a break every now and then I might go nuts.

BurningNad

They buffed Bastet's jump, reduced the time between landing and being able to jump back, her 2 is now a left to right sweep instead of a full cone at once (but still the same range and area of effect) and her 3 is much faster to shoot out than it was. I believe they buffed her skill dmg slightly as well.

I love it when I speak too soon lol. My gf had to go to work super early this morning, which gave me like 90 minutes of alone time before work that I usually don't have. So instead of making the wise decision to get more sleep, I decided to play some Smite before work.

I know I've played a little bit over the past ~4 months, but not much. I was shocked at how different the game is! First of all, the item system is completely revamped. When did that happen? Second, the game seems a bit faster paced? Maybe it's that change they made to the skill delay times, idk. Third, they keep updating the graphics and god portraits — this game has come a long way visually! Fourth, awww yiss I had 700 gems when I logged in today. I'm guessing that was for the launch? I spent 200 right away to buy Ullr because why the hell not. He's pretty fun! The whole melee/ranged toggle reminds me of Troll Warlord from Dota 2. Fifth, I played against a Nemesis for the first time, my god her shield move is fucking annoying. Sixth, I played Bastet and I'm iffy on her remodel. She looks more Egyptian, I guess.

I played a few Arena matches since I didn't have too much time. In every single game I had at least one, usually two or three, rager teammates. Ugh lol. Still, I had fun. I definitely want to practice Ullr more because I was digging his style. I can buy 2 more gods with gems so now I have to decide on who. Decisions, decisions...

Tabby

I can buy 2 more gods with gems so now I have to decide on who. Decisions, decisions...

Should of gotten the Ultimate God Pack like I did heh.

Surprised at how terrible some players are. 18-0 as Neith on Joust, 11-0 on my first game as Apollo on Joust; and I don't even play this game that much.

Should of gotten the Ultimate God Pack like I did heh.

You're speaking in past tense, but the god pack is still available isn't it? I'd be surprised if they pulled it, tbh.

But no I'm too cheap to pay $30 for Smite. I used to play this game a lot so I actually have a decent amount of gods unlocked through Favor. I don't play much anymore so I can't really justify spending $30 on it.

Tabby

You're speaking in past tense, but the god pack is still available isn't it? I'd be surprised if they pulled it, tbh.

But no I'm too cheap to pay $30 for Smite. I used to play this game a lot so I actually have a decent amount of gods unlocked through Favor. I don't play much anymore so I can't really justify spending $30 on it.
Is it? Haven't checked. I was assuming they pulled it .

That makes sense I guess. £20 for every champion released and ever will be released sounded like a deal I can't refuse.
Then again I just love spending money so idk.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
its still up dont think they are ever getting rid of it its making them a lot of money but yeah they are always updating art and stuff and im thinking this week will be the new game mode

So how do you guys build Ullr? And how do you use him effectively? I want to be more prepared next time I get to play.

The only real "combo" I figured out yesterday was starting a fight in melee mode and stunning with my axe move. Then I'd switch to ranged for the bonus attack speed and the two damaging skills. Item-wise, I just build the stuff I used to build for hunters: Tabi, Executioner, Qin's. Jotunn's, and then I was going for a Deathbringer when the game ended.

And for those of you who have been playing a lot lately: Who are the best Arena gods now? I play Arena like 90% of the time so I'm mostly concerned with the gods who do well in that game mode. Are any of the newer gods Arena powerhouses?

Manbig

So how do you guys build Ullr? And how do you use him effectively? I want to be more prepared next time I get to play.

The only real "combo" I figured out yesterday was starting a fight in melee mode and stunning with my axe move. Then I'd switch to ranged for the bonus attack speed and the two damaging skills. Item-wise, I just build the stuff I used to build for hunters: Tabi, Executioner, Qin's. Jotunn's, and then I was going for a Deathbringer when the game ended.

And for those of you who have been playing a lot lately: Who are the best Arena gods now? I play Arena like 90% of the time so I'm mostly concerned with the gods who do well in that game mode. Are any of the newer gods Arena powerhouses?

I think Bastet is really up there mostly because so many people don't know how to play against her in Arena. There's a few things that you have to be careful about when using her in Arena though:

- Jumping in vs knock up and levitate. If the opponent times this correctly, you will not be able to pounce back and it'll become a one way trip.

- Opponents that are smart enough to see where you pounced from and wait for you to come back. This is especially annoying vs Tyr and tanks. Speaking of tanks...

- Teams with 2 or 3 tanky gods that actually try to protect their squishies. You really have to hang back and pick and choose when is best to attack in this situation.

- DoTs and abilities that can stun you after you lose your CC invulnerability during your pounce back. Something like Zeus's 3 has stunned me several times when trying to pounce back because you're not CC immune for the whole duration. Also, you're gonna typically take burst when jumping in, so you have to be mindful of DoTs. Once again, picking and choosing your moments is key for these situations.

- Geb. Seriously. Fuck Geb's shield. Bastet's burst has a tendency to just barely kill people because of the DoT. Geb completely ruins this and due to the snowball effect that she can have on a match, this can kind of fuck you over.

I pretty much run the same build nearly every game. I rush the CDR and Reduced healing penetration items and Ninja Tabi. Then I usually build Asi to nearly reach the physical penetration cap and get some life steal. After that, depends on the match up. I'll typically go for power/crit. Anything that involves giving you more burst because you don't want to hang around longer than your pounce allows pretty much ever. As far as skill leveling, I prioritize maxing out 2 first due to the reduced cooldown and leveling 1 and 3 past lvl 1 only nets you more damage. The DoT, as I said earlier, will probably be the primary thing that finishes off your kills, so all the more reason to level it first. I ONLY jump in when I'm at full health and at least half mana. I also only initiate with pounce no matter what. She's just way too squishy to go about it any other way and if you build her tanky, then you might as well play as a warrior.

My results in playing like this have mostly been very positive.

b3bq8CO.jpg

Hope all of that info helps!

Aww I wish I could play. 200 gems is another god for me!

Thanks Manbig that was very helpful. I am a big fan of Bastet, she's probably one of my favorite assassin-type gods because of her glorious escape ability. I struggle a lot more with the other assassins like Loki and Thanatos because I tend to get myself blown up.

Manbig

Aww I wish I could play. 200 gems is another god for me!

Thanks Manbig that was very helpful. I am a big fan of Bastet, she's probably one of my favorite assassin-type gods because of her glorious escape ability. I struggle a lot more with the other assassins like Loki and Thanatos because I tend to get myself blown up.

No problem man.

I hit a pretty rough patch today. A combination of fighting versus super tanky teams (seriously, Tyr can go to Hell), making some bad decisions in the heat of battle, and being paired with some extremely clueless teammates has made it a very not fun day to play Smite.

drgambit

Banned
Thanks OP for this. I have never been one to enjoy MOBAs, due to the iso-point and click perspective, but this looks like something I would want to play. Will DL it tomorrow.

My gf had to go to work super early today so I had time for 4 arena matches before work.

First I played as He Bo. Had a lot of fun blowing people up but our team got smashed and I died a lot.

Then I played as Bastet and I got a decent amount of kills but I would always get killed right back so I had a 1:1 ratio the whole match. We lost again.

Then I played as Ullr and really struggled for most of the game. His damn axe stun is really hard to land. I started to catch up in the late game with my crazy auto attack damage but we lost.

I finished with Ao Kuang. He's the most relaxing god to play. I just built Warlock Sash and CDR and aggressively cleared their minion waves. I would sneak off to the side and throw tornadoes down as close to their minion spawn as possible and then slither away. It was really helpful because it basically meant that the enemy team had no minions to hide behind during teamfights, while we had a full wave of them. I finally got a win.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
just jump into them with ullr pop your 2 for attack speed then stun them point blank hit them 2 or 3 times then use fist of the gods for a extra stun and blast the crap out of them

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
test servers are live now if you want to get in on it just click the green text in the launcher and log in with your main account

Top Bottom