• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCL suspends image sharing in Swap Note and Flipnote [Spot pass Notes disabled]

Bleep

Who was actually using Swapnote anyway?

I really wanted to like it when it first came out, but I quickly discovered that it was useless. It took hours before messages would actually arrive; by that time I might as well just send a text message or email etc etc.

I get that it wasn't really supposed to be instant, but… then what's the point? Nobody writes letters anymore.

My friends and I swap silly drawings and game screenshots between each other a lot. It's quite a popular feature of the 3DS, at least in my experience.

Frolow

Banned
So basically Swap Note is completely worthless now. The only way to share notes is via Streepassing people who are already on your friends list.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It's a shame because I enjoyed receiving different stationeries from around the world and passing them on, but I always wondered how it would fit in with Miiverse. It was also notable that until recently with the Z:ALBW stationery, there hadn't been any for 2 months.

Roto13

jLGn1wq.jpg

nbBYZTY.jpg
I'm just glad this means you'll stop sending me "those" pictures.

If anything, I'm going to start sending them with greater frequency and intensity.

Frolow

Banned
I'm confused. Was it shut down because minors were swapping inappropriate pictures or because minors were sharing regular photos of themselves with people on their friends list?

If it's the former I kinda understand the decision. However, It would be complete bullshit if it was the latter.

Frolow

Banned
NA Press release is out.

Thank you for your support.

Nintendo has learned that some consumers, including minors, have been exchanging their friend codes on Internet bulletin boards and then using Swapnote (known as Nintendo Letter Box in other regions) to exchange offensive material. Nintendo has been investigating ways of preventing this and determined it is best to stop the SpotPass feature of Swapnote because it allows direct exchange of photos and was actively misused.

Nintendo always wants to provide a positive experience for all consumers and limit the risk of any inappropriate activity or misuse of a service. We feel it is important on this occasion to take this action.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience to the many consumers who have been using this service responsibly; however this decision was made considering the point that many minors also use this feature of Swapnote. Thank you for your understanding.

Nintendo will continue to work to ensure more consumers are aware of our Parental Control features, which allow parents to manage their children’s experience on our systems. For more information, please click here.

Service stop date: Thursday, Oct. 31, 2013, 7 p.m. PT
Service being stopped: Nintendo 3DS software Swapnote – Sending and receiving notes using SpotPass
Affected regions: All regions where the service was offered

Special Notes services are also stopped
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/UHQZFP2Jxcll_Vm-PsZpxNIK5920bRRK

epmode

This was basically the only Nintendo online thing that I actively used. I swear, they deserve whatever happens at the next earnings report.

Frolow

Banned
This is why Nintendo's needs an account system. If they had one in place, they could have simply banned the users who shared offensives photos instead of shutting down the whole service.

mollipen

This is such a ridiculously dumb and over reactive action to take. I mean, Nintendo has done some baffling things when it comes to online, but this is borderline mental.

How about making users actually take responsibility instead of punishing EVERY single 3DS owner out there.

I'm really, really mad about this, as Swapnote was something I loved about the system.

This was basically the only Nintendo online thing that I actively used. I swear, they deserve whatever happens at the next earnings report.

Well Q3 is usually their biggest quarter and will include at least 2, if not more, million selling software and at least a few million 3DSes. So, they deserve good things?

No, seriously, this is the worst. I am so pissed. I loved SwapNote. I sent out my baby's first picture through SwapNote. What the hell, Nintendo.

entremet

This is why Nintendo's needs an account system. If they had one in place, they could have simply banned the users who shared offensives photos instead of shutting down the whole service.
Yep. Nintendo makes great games but there online strategy is so outdated.

To be honest, they probably still would have disabled the feature even if their was a 'proper' account system in place on 3DS.

Don't forget we've also lost our ability to tell who deleted your friend codes ;__; thanks to the service stopping, fecking idiotic minors and perverted peeps...

Man thats sad, I never had anything bad other than the odd crude drawing from people. Used to send doodles on the service too, hope we get miiverse for 3DS soon : (

in other news facebook is removing the ability to private IM other users after finding out couples were talking about sexually explicit activities amongst each other

I mean I get the reasoning behind this, but maybe just make the service age-restricted or something? Seems ridiculous to remove the entire service if Miiverse isn't coming to the 3DS anytime soon. Was really fun to dick around during off-times with friends, and unlike Miiverse I was under the impression the messages wouldn't be monitored so we could say/draw whatever. Shit sucks.

Cartman86

Banned
Yep really silly to turn this off when it's between people who have exchanged friend codes. Makes total sense if it was random streetpass. As always there should just be more options. Parental controls etc. I'll just say though that comparing this to someone shutting down Google because kids can access is a really silly comparison. This isn't the open web. It's an app designed by Nintendo that apparently children can download and use. There should be controls in place to age gate it to prevent this. Related to that can you lock the web browser out to children on the 3DS?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
PRESIDENT IWATA, SOMEONE IS USING SWAPNOTE TO SEND INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES OVER OUR NETWORK1

SHUT

DOWN

EVERYTHING

Javier

I don't think an account system is even needed for this. They could have added a report button and block users based on console.

Top Bottom